Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:09   #4966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Even though the road conditions are good via magadi road it takes more time to reach NH-48 near Kunigal compared to the 4-Lane via Nelamangala, because of the single lane traffic on Magadi Road. And you have private buses plying on this stretch who drive rash and do not allow you to overtake easily. But I am sure you will love those curves on Magadi road which is a pleasure to drive.

And I am not sure on the Magadi - Huliyurdurga-Nagamangala Road, but one of my friend had told its been repaired and a breeze to drive. Update on the route if you travel by.

I have been traveling on Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal road even before it became the preferred alternative to the Nelamangala route where 4 laning work was going on. The road conditions now are better than what it was then. But it is definitely slower when you compare it with a 4 lane road. Definitely nice for a calm drive though.

Thanks for the update on the Magadi-Huliyurdurga-Nagamangala route. I will update the conditions when I drive there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I remember discussing this with Addy a few days back on how one could drive all the way to Hassan without touching the NH (and obviously not paying any toll though that is not the sole intent). This report from guyfromblr is indeed inviting and worth exploring!
Indeed. I had forgotten all about doing this route after we had talked. Now is a good time to start. After years and years on the NH 48, this can be an interesting alternative. Of course, this is not always feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The SH-85 part of this stretch is very good. For going to Shravanabelagola, one has to take a deviation from SH-85 at some village (forgot the name). I'm not aware of the route to Shravanabelagola beyond this point.
Thank you. Will check that on the map

Quote:
The Bellur Cross - Nagamangala stretch is too good. there are some occasional scientific speed breakers but the road is very wide and smooth.
I was under the impression you took the Magadi-Huliyurdurga route to Nagamangala.

Quote:
Are you planning to reach Arakalgud from Somawarapet through Shanivarasante? If yes, there is a bad stretch of around 4 km before a small place called Mallipatna between Shanivarasante and Arakalgud. Once you cross this bad stretch, its a pleasure to drive until Madikeri. Very good roads.

If possible, ask the locals in Shanivarasante about the road conditions to reach Mallipatna through Kodlipete handpost. If its good, you can avoid the 4 km bad stretch.

Thanks for the info. Then I'm all set to drive on SH-85 on Jan 31. I'll update the route conditions.
My initial plan was to take the Somwarpete-Shanivarasanthe-Mallipatna-Arkalgud-Hassan but after Shanivarasanthe the road is not good all the way to Hassan.

I'm also looking at Somwarpet-Ramanathapura (SH85)-Arkalgud-Hassan or I may even skip Somwarpet and go through Kushalnagar-Ramanathapura-Arkalgud-Hassan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

And seriously it is good to take these roads without touching any tolls until you are in a hurry or you want to save some fuel, since it is really heavy for the pocket to pay all these tolls inspite of paying heavy road taxes here in south.

Anytime I would prefer exploring roads as you and Addy would like to do
Very much true
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:18   #4967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I was under the impression you took the Magadi-Huliyurdurga route to Nagamangala.
While coming back from KR Pete, I took the Bellur Cross route to have food at Mayura since I'm not aware of any good eating options at Magadi. Took the Huliyurdurga - Magadi road while going to KR Pete. There was some minor work going on between Nagamangala - Magadi. Now fusionbang has updated that all is clear on this stretch.

Are you aware of any good breakfast hotel at Magadi? I found none at Nagamangala and KR Pete, also not expecting any at Saligrama, Somawarapete.

Quote:
My initial plan was to take the Somwarpete-Shanivarasanthe-Mallipatna-Arkalgud-Hassan but after Shanivarasanthe the road is not good all the way to Hassan.
Shanivarasante - Mallipatna has a 4 km bad stretch just before Mallipatna else they have re-laid most of the part. The 4 km bad stretch was dug up for re-laying but not sure if its completed now. This was sometime in last October. Mallipatna - Arakalgud is re-laid last year. I'm not sure about Arakalgud - Hassan. But you'll definitely like the Madikeri - Somawarapete - Shanivarasante stretch. The roads are very good and the traffic is very thin.

Sometime last year myself and a cousin had to go to Shanivarasante and then decided to go to Mangalore from there through Kodlipete. This road reaches Sakaleshpur near Manzurabad fort. It was one of the biggest mistake I made. The roads after Kodlipete is in a horrible condition. We left Shanivarasante at 2 PM and reached Mangalore at 11 30 PM. But there are very good views of Gorur dam backwaters on this route.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 22nd January 2014 at 19:37.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:39   #4968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess the Magadi-Huliyurdurga-Nagamangala road is in good condition. but do you have any idea about the road condition between Nagamangala and Shravanabelagola?
Quote:
The SH-85 part of this stretch is very good. For going to Shravanabelagola, one has to take a deviation from SH-85 at some village (forgot the name). I'm not aware of the route to Shravanabelagola beyond this point.
Shravanabelagola-Nagamangala is a belter of road! Awesome to drive. I once drove on that route thinking I was driving towards Melkote and ended at Nagamangala. But it was awesome. The route had fresh tar at many sections.

So is SH85 between Magadi and Huliyurdurga. Its also broken at some stretches. Truly fun to drive. Mild ghats at some places, water bodies, fields and what not!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:53   #4969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shravanabelagola-Nagamangala is a belter of road! Awesome to drive. I once drove on that route thinking I was driving towards Melkote and ended at Nagamangala. But it was awesome.
Thanks for the update. Then its a breeze to reach Hassan through this route. For Melkote, you need to drive towards KR Pete and take a left at a tank bund just before KR Pete.

Quote:
The route had fresh tar at many sections.
I guess they have handed over the work of entire SH-85 from Magadi road to Jalsoor to a single contractor. The fresh tar which you come across between Nagamangala and KR Pete is very even and the banking is perfect on most of the curves. The SH-85 section between Kukke Subramanya and Jalsoor is being re-laid in a similar manner.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:50   #4970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Then its a breeze to reach Hassan through this route. For Melkote, you need to drive towards KR Pete and take a left at a tank bund just before KR Pete.
I was doing a different circuit.

Bangalore-Kunigal-Yadiyur-Shravanabelagola-Melkote-Tonnur-Nagamangala-Neligere-Nelamangala-Bangalore

The idea was to drive to Melkote after visiting Shravanabelagola. And on the way to Shravanabelagol, we also visited the Markonahalli reservoir at Yadiyur. But I got diverted to SH85 towards Nagamangala while I thought I was directly driving towards Melkote. Nice tar also added to the confusion. But anyway I did not have anything to lose. I got good roads all the way.

All in all it was a fun filled drive. ~450 km in a day with LOTS of snapping opportunities. We started by 4AM and were back by 5PM.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd January 2014 at 21:53.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:23   #4971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess they have handed over the work of entire SH-85 from Magadi road to Jalsoor to a single contractor. The fresh tar which you come across between Nagamangala and KR Pete is very even and the banking is perfect on most of the curves. The SH-85 section between Kukke Subramanya and Jalsoor is being re-laid in a similar manner.
I guess we have to wait and watch how this guy will tackle Bisle Ghat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shravanabelagola-Nagamangala is a belter of road! Awesome to drive. I once drove on that route thinking I was driving towards Melkote and ended at Nagamangala. But it was awesome. The route had fresh tar at many sections.

So is SH85 between Magadi and Huliyurdurga. Its also broken at some stretches. Truly fun to drive. Mild ghats at some places, water bodies, fields and what not!
That is good news amp. Thanks for the update. I forgot you had driven in this area a few months back. Time to do some exploring now

Quote:
Are you aware of any good breakfast hotel at Magadi? I found none at Nagamangala and KR Pete, also not expecting any at Saligrama, Somawarapete.
Nope, never seen any decent breakfast hotel in all the above places.

Quote:
Shanivarasante - Mallipatna has a 4 km bad stretch just before Mallipatna else they have re-laid most of the part. The 4 km bad stretch was dug up for re-laying but not sure if its completed now. This was sometime in last October. Mallipatna - Arakalgud is re-laid last year. I'm not sure about Arakalgud - Hassan. But you'll definitely like the Madikeri - Somawarapete - Shanivarasante stretch. The roads are very good and the traffic is very thin.
Are you sure Mallipatna-Arkalgud road has been relaid? Because, I remember someone mentioning that it was still in bad condition. Arkalgud-Hassan has been bad for quite sometime now.

Quote:
Sometime last year myself and a cousin had to go to Shanivarasante and then decided to go to Mangalore from there through Kodlipete. This road reaches Sakaleshpur near Manzurabad fort. It was one of the biggest mistake I made. The roads after Kodlipete is in a horrible condition. We left Shanivarasante at 2 PM and reached Mangalore at 11 30 PM. But there are very good views of Gorur dam backwaters on this route.
I traveled partly on this route last January (2013). It was in decent condition between Shukravarasanthe and Donigal (Manjarabad Fort). Have not traveled between Kodlipet and Shukravarasanthe in quite some time now.

EDIT: I checked with my friend regarding the road conditions near Saligrama. He says it is a mixture of potholed and patched up roads all the way from where the SH85 cuts the Hassan-Mysore road till Ramanathapura. After that he has no idea.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd January 2014 at 12:47. Reason: Added comment
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:51   #4972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess we have to wait and watch how this guy will tackle Bisle Ghat.
I hope he doesn't touch Bisle ghat. Its unspoiled now since no one ventures there. If they repair it, I can't imagine the scene of hordes of tourists especially in bright colored private buses, tempo travelers, tumtum, toofan and yellow board sumos performing all sorts of nonsense acts. I really get frustrated watching them cooking, washing, bathing in Shiradi and in the routes to Kukke and Dharmastala. They care least about nature.

Quote:
Are you sure Mallipatna-Arkalgud road has been relaid? Because, I remember someone mentioning that it was still in bad condition. Arkalgud-Hassan has been bad for quite sometime now.
Yes, Mallipatna - Arakalgud is relaid. I drove there in last November and it was fine. They were relaying the Mallipatna - Shanivarasante stretch and only around 4 km was left out. However the roads near to Shanivarasante was already in good shape and I'm not sure whether they will just repair or will completely relay.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:00   #4973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I traveled partly on this route last January (2013). It was in decent condition between Shukravarasanthe and Donigal (Manjarabad Fort). Have not traveled between Kodlipet and Shukravarasanthe in quite some time now.
Quote:
Yes, Mallipatna - Arakalgud is relaid. I drove there in last November and it was fine. They were relaying the Mallipatna - Shanivarasante stretch and only around 4 km was left out. However the roads near to Shanivarasante was already in good shape and I'm not sure whether they will just repair or will completely relay.
This was the last update I saw about Arkalgud-Shanivarsanthe. And that was Oct Last year.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3267625
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 15:34   #4974
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to try SH-85 next week but traversed it today itself.

Started from home at Bannerghatta road at 5 AM. Took NICE road to Magadi road.

My home to Magadi NICE junction: Distance - 36 KM.
Time taken - 40 minutes

NICE junction to Magadi town:
Distance - 36 KM
Time taken - 35 minutes
Road condition - Excellent. Well marked wide roads with occasional pot holes and speed breakers.

Magadi town to Huliyurdurga:
Distance - 28 KM
Time taken - 30 minutes
Road condition - Good. Narrow road with occasional small speed breakers at villages. No pot holes.

Huliyurdurga to Devalapura:
Distance - 14 KM
Time taken - 30 minutes
Road condition - Average. Some stretches are infested with small potholes.

Devalapura to Nagamangala:
Distance - 11 KM
Time taken - 15 minutes
Road condition - Excellent. Freshly tarred. The car just flies on this stretch. It's well marked in the curves but bit narrow.

Nagamangala - KR Pete:
Distance - 38 KM
Time taken - 35 minutes
Road condition - Excellent. Same as the above stretch.

KR Pete - Saligrama:
Distance - 33 KM
Time taken - 1 hour
Road condition - Average. It's good until a railway level crossing. It then suddenly becomes narrow but manageable until a place called Bherya. Lot of small pot holes. It becomes bad after Bherya with lot of U cuts on the road.

Saligrama - Keralapura - Ramanathapura:
Distance - 24 KM
Time taken - 1 hour
Road condition - Pathetic. The stretch from Saligrama to Keralapura and around 10 KM beyond Keralapura is pathetic. It's filled with monster pot holes and unfinished bridges. It was very tiring driving on this stretch.

Ramanathapura - Konanur - Somawarapete:
Distance - 30 KM
Time taken - 35 minutes
Road condition: Good. Ramanathapura to Konanur looks like an expressway. Konanur to Kushalnagar fork is good. Fork to Somawarapete is excellent. The road becomes very wide once it enters Coorg. I could have taken the Kushalnagar route from the fork but was determined to completely explore SH-85.

From Somawarapete, SH-85 continues towards Bisle ghat and reaches Kukke Subramanya. I have already been in this stretch which only Jeeps can traverse. Hence took a deviation towards Madikeri from Somawarapete which is an excellent road to drive. Madikeri ghat is good as usual. They have only repaired just 3 KM beyond Sampaje after which the roads are dug up. I took a right at Goonadka towards Kukke to reach Elimale on SH-85. Took the route to Jalsoor from here. Jalsoor - Mangalore is a breeze to drive. Reached Mangalore just now at 3:30 PM.

Best stretch: Devalapura - Nagamangala - KR Pete. No spread breakers, fresh tar, well marked curves, no villages, almost zero traffic. It's better than many NHs out there.

Worst stretch: Saligrama - Keralapura - Ramanathapura

There is no decent hotel all along SH-85. It's better to carry our own food. There are no sign boards at many places which leads to little confusion but can always ask the locals for the direction. Most of the places has GPS coverage, hence google maps can be used.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 24th January 2014 at 15:44.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 10:08   #4975
BHPian

as per one kannada TV channel this morning, there was an accident in shiradi ghat last night/early morning. car & tanker collided & 3 car passengers died on spot. over speeding was the cause I believe. when the roads are bad, not sure how could this happen. was that car racing?. there was no much info available.
Old 26th January 2014, 22:44   #4976
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Sullia to Bangalore via Shiradi today. Started from Sullia at 4:15 PM. Took the superb winding roads through Panja - Subramanya to reach Gundya. Entered Shiradi at 5 PM and reached Sakaleshpur at 5:45 PM. The entire ghat is patched up except for a single curve where some work is in progress. The patches are very rough for some distance after Gundya but is smooth on the upper portions of the ghat. Reached home at Bannerghatta road at 10 PM.

I'm driving to Mangalore again on next weekend and on Feb 15th. I'll stick to Shiradi which is back to normal conditions after a long time .

Meanwhile a 320D in front of us managed to trade paint with a Verna while overtaking it on a steep curve near Kempu Hole project.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 26th January 2014 at 22:51.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:05   #4977
BHPian

thanks for the update guyfrmblr. really happy to note that shiradi is motorable now. my travel thru' shiradi postponed to next week due to some unexpected work .
Old 27th January 2014, 11:28   #4978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
as per one kannada TV channel this morning, there was an accident in shiradi ghat last night/early morning. car & tanker collided & 3 car passengers died on spot. over speeding was the cause I believe. when the roads are bad, not sure how could this happen. was that car racing?. there was no much info available.
I am the one of unfortunate guy who stuck due to accident. I was travelling in Bus.

Two cars where racing each other, each want to show their skills. The oil tanker taking slope sharp corner, already committed (Any one knows how truckers can't un-commit turns in slope. They give you enough signals before committing sharp turns)!. Driver of swift wanted to show his WRC skills, went ahead with overtaking truck at sharp turns. If anyone seen how trucks take turn and almost coming on to other lanes (because they can't avoid it), truck brushed rushing swift... Swift lost controls! 3 in car perished on the spot (what is seat belt?)! Blocked road of rest of us till morning.

Read Hassan Police report, they booked poor Tanker driver for reckless driving! Poor chap!

Last edited by RaguHolla : 27th January 2014 at 11:29.
RaguHolla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 11:54   #4979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Read Hassan Police report, they booked poor Tanker driver for reckless driving! Poor chap!
Seriously the laws are really bad in India. Always the big vehicle driver's are held responsible for the accident, why can't they analyse the accident and find out the exact reason behind it and punish the person if he is alive.

And seriously it is insane by the driver to rush through the ghats and lead him to this accident. And the worst part is driver of swift is alive and the other 3 passengers were dead. Let there soul rest in peace.

I think people should adopt this new concept of 'PEHLE AAP' while driving which would reduce the number of accidents drastically.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 12:05   #4980
BHPian

stucked in the block till morning in ghats..OMG I can understand the pain Ragu. I often visit Dharam & Kulle use these roads & know how tankers are driven. they give hand-signs & even alert us if ask for over take, if some other vehicle is coming in the opposite direction etc..as per my experience they drive cautiously in ghats. after reading your msg, I can understand it was the swift who was reckless.

Most Viewed