Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 10:42   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: upgrading from a punto 90hp and a million doubts

I second phamilyman!!

It would be better to hold on to your Punto because Punto is not a car with high re-sale value and even if the cost of registration is about Rs. 1 lac, you actually tend to lose much more than that in just depreciation alone.

Add the extra cash you need to pay for the upgrade.

Punto is just a year old. It is a decent car and you invariably love it.
IMHO, do not see the logic behind the upgrade other than the "one year itch"!!
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 10:52   #812
BHPian

Thanks Phamilyman,

I have not yet decided on selling the punto, I just wanted to know what could be the alternate options as to an upgrade if I am to jump the gun just in case. Yes , puntos resales are through the floor compared to his japanese counter parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Have you put the numbers together?

Value of re-registration + selling the punto after 4-5 years VS
Selling punto now + buying new upgrade car.

I would be heavily biased towards option 1. Punto wouldn't have the best resale, unlike a swift diesel or a honda.

Thanks bud for being spot on, on the contrary I am just done with KAs brutal RTO rulings. I didn't want to be the person who pays LTT on every state I am to stay more than a month. That being said I have not decided against selling my car.
I am not in requirement of added space as you said, and I am not doing 2Ks with 5 on high way as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
To put it straight, you are just finding reasons for an upgrade where you dont really need one.

Re-register and PUNTO and proceed, no need to buy a new car.

The cars within your budget are not miles ahead of of the power that your punto is already making.

Unless you need more space, which I dont see as a primary criterion in your opening post, you are wasting money.

I am pretty sure you are not doing 2000km per month on the highway with 5 people. Are you ?
thanks DrMohitg, I am still inclined to keep my car and pay the road tax in Karnataka. But If I had to know what are my options if I am to spend an additional one lakh on the tax of the car and be submitted to to Karnataka governments RTO rulings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would also tend to agree with member phamilyman above that unless you want to change the car for reasons other than finances, it doesn't make any sense. Re-registering the car is going to be much cheaper than the hit you are going to take on the resale and then buying a new car which would also cost you considerably more being in Bangalore and its higher road tax rates. You have also mentioned that your car had a nasty accident and that will reduce the resale value further.
Old 4th August 2014, 15:13   #813
Senior - BHPian

Though it does not make sense to sell off the Punto, as said by so many members, but in case you have made up your mind to upgrade, the first car that comes to the mind is the Linea.

In case you're too bogged down with the thought of the 1.3MJD in such a big car, then go for the Vento. If you are fascinated by the SUV then XUV (mid variant) would also be a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
While Ford offers the best in class handling and driving dynamics, the egine spec in Vento is something to drool over.
Sorry to disagree with your opinion. The Linea provides the best handling, ride comfort and driving dynamics, closely followed by the Vento. Kindly go through the Linea Tjet review by GTO for confirmation.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 17:18   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Thanks bud for being spot on, on the contrary I am just done with KAs brutal RTO rulings. I didn't want to be the person who pays LTT on every state I am to stay more than a month. That being said I have not decided against selling my car.
I am not in requirement of added space as you said, and I am not doing 2Ks with 5 on high way as well.

thanks DrMohitg, I am still inclined to keep my car and pay the road tax in Karnataka. But If I had to know what are my options if I am to spend an additional one lakh on the tax of the car and be submitted to to Karnataka governments RTO rulings.
In Maharashtra i see tons of cars running around with outside state passing. Cant you use it with KL passing itself? Even if the police object i think you can pay the fine and get away instead of spending lacs.

As others suggested that the resale value is very low i think you will end up in huge losses.
When you are loving the 90hp punto for its safety, ride and handling i dont think you have an immediate better upgrade to it. Polo 1.5 tdi comes close but again you will loose money.
If you have become power hungry and want to upgrade due to this reason i would suggest you to just spend 20/25 k and remap your 90hp punto. The MJD engine responds very well to the remap.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 17:29   #815
BHPian

Thanks arnab,

I have decided to make my bed after paying the taxes, there is some legal proceedings about to begin regarding the taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I second phamilyman!!

It would be better to hold on to your Punto because Punto is not a car with high re-sale value and even if the cost of registration is about Rs. 1 lac, you actually tend to lose much more than that in just depreciation alone.

Add the extra cash you need to pay for the upgrade.

Punto is just a year old. It is a decent car and you invariably love it.
IMHO, do not see the logic behind the upgrade other than the "one year itch"!!
Thanks Sommos, Linea is as kick as is it can get Minus the 93hp engine. It begs for something more. I would be sticking with my punto itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Though it does not make sense to sell off the Punto, as said by so many members, but in case you have made up your mind to upgrade, the first car that comes to the mind is the Linea.

In case you're too bogged down with the thought of the 1.3MJD in such a big car, then go for the Vento. If you are fascinated by the SUV then XUV (mid variant) would also be a good option.

Sorry to disagree with your opinion. The Linea provides the best handling, ride comfort and driving dynamics, closely followed by the Vento. Kindly go through the Linea Tjet review by GTO for confirmation.
Thanks Amit, I love my punto. Just that the KA Tax rules and situations made me think of alternate routes.
I am going to pay the KA taxes if the day comes to it. Here in Karnataka its the RTO seizing the vehicles saying that road tax must be paid for 15 years if you stay for more than 30 days( topic for another thread though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
In Maharashtra i see tons of cars running around with outside state passing. Cant you use it with KL passing itself? Even if the police object i think you can pay the fine and get away instead of spending lacs. I was thinking of a remap as well. Thanks again buddy.

As others suggested that the resale value is very low i think you will end up in huge losses.
When you are loving the 90hp punto for its safety, ride and handling i dont think you have an immediate better upgrade to it. Polo 1.5 tdi comes close but again you will loose money.
If you have become power hungry and want to upgrade due to this reason i would suggest you to just spend 20/25 k and remap your 90hp punto. The MJD engine responds very well to the remap.
Old 4th August 2014, 17:31   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The Linea provides the best handling, ride comfort and driving dynamics, closely followed by the Vento. Kindly go through the Linea Tjet review by GTO for confirmation.
I have not driven the Linea, but from my experience the driving dynamics and handling of the Fiesta is much better than the Vento. For the passengers, the Vento provide a better experience, and overall feels more airy and spacious. And it does have a nice and powerful engine, but from a driver's POV I liked the Fiesta for its steering, handling, supportive front seats, and an easier clutch.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 17:34   #817
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

@Hkrish

So happy that you have taken a logical and a well informed decision.
All the best with your proceedings and wish you many more happy miles with the Punto!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 19:20   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I have not driven the Linea, but from my experience the driving dynamics and handling of the Fiesta is much better than the Vento. For the passengers, the Vento provide a better experience, and overall feels more airy and spacious. And it does have a nice and powerful engine, but from a driver's POV I liked the Fiesta for its steering, handling, supportive front seats, and an easier clutch.
My Personal Rankings-
Ride= Linea>Fiesta>Vento
Bump absorption being the biggest influencing factor.

Handling= Fiesta>Linea=Vento
Agility being the biggest influencing factor, Linea has more outright grip but it feels bulkier and less flickable compared to Fiesta.

Steering= Fiesta>Linea>Vento
For the Directness and Quickness Fiesta has one of the best EPS around, Linea's steering has just the right weight and gives great feedback it would have been perfect if it was little more direct and quick. Vento in comparison has overservo'ed steering that isn't close to other two cars here.

Engine and Gearing=Vento>Fiesta>Linea
No comparisons here, Vento is by far the winner here, it may be loudest here but the engine has good grunt, starts pulling 1500rpm onwards and does not lose steam all the way till redline. Fiesta and Linea not close. Linea's sweet Multijet not properly utilized by weird set of gear ratios.

The perfect car for me would be- A car that looks like Linea, has the chassis and Suspension from Fiesta, Engine from Verna, Gearbox feel and Ratios from Vento, steering from Fiesta/Linea...

Last edited by .anshuman : 5th August 2014 at 11:22. Reason: typo fixed
.anshuman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 22:27   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys if you can help me out by suggesting which all Automobiles ( looking for a Diesel car) can be a possible upgrade from my Fabulous Punto ( I am open to SUVs and Sedans or anything which can fit the bill).
Anshuman's answer was crisp and I think I shall give my version:

RIDE: Fiesta>Linea>Vento (poise being the main factor)
HANDLING: Fiesta>Linea>Vento
STEERING: Fiesta>Linea>Vento
BRAKES: Linea>Fiesta>Vento
SPACE: Vento>Linea>Fiesta
FEATURES: Fiesta>Linea>Vento
SAFETY: Fiesta>Linea>Vento
DRIVETRAIN AND MOTOR: Vento>Fiesta>Linea

I would pick the Ford anyday, but that's just me. You might also want to check out the XUV 500 in W4 trim (impressive for base variant) if that's the kind of thing you might be into (SUVs that is)

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 23:03   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
RIDE: Fiesta>Linea>Vento (poise being the main factor)
HANDLING: Fiesta>Linea>Vento
IMHO, Fiesta is sprung slightly stiffer, which is slightly biased towards handling with a stiffer ride.

Linea, on the other hand is sprung slightly softer, which is more biased towards the plush ride, of course it won't give you the same go kart type of handling what fiesta does.

Quote:
BRAKES: Linea>Fiesta>Vento
I would like to put it in this order, Vento=Linea > fiesta. Vento has lesser tactile feedback but if you stand on the brakes, it stops fine. Do check 100-0 braking distance of all three cars. Vento has the shortest stopping distance of three.

Quote:
SAFETY: Fiesta>Linea>Vento
Interesting, can you please explain ?. I thought Vento and Linea are built better and have better brakes. Typical Euro cars.
Old 4th August 2014, 23:10   #821
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Amit, I love my punto. Just that the KA Tax rules and situations made me think of alternate routes. I am going to pay the KA taxes if the day comes to it. Here in Karnataka its the RTO seizing the vehicles saying that road tax must be paid for 15 years if you stay for more than 30 days( topic for another thread though).
Please check with @crazydriver. He went through the same process, for his Punto.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 23:28   #822
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
IMHO, Fiesta is sprung slightly stiffer, which is slightly biased towards handling with a stiffer ride.

Linea, on the other hand is sprung slightly softer, which is more biased towards the plush ride, of course it won't give you the same go kart type of handling what fiesta does.
The Linea with its now, unnecessarily tall ground clearance, and slightly softer suspension setup doesn't feel as balanced as the Fiesta. I clearly mentioned that was talking about poise

Quote:
I would like to put it in this order, Vento=Linea > fiesta. Vento has lesser tactile feedback but if you stand on the brakes, it stops fine. Do check 100-0 braking distance of all three cars. Vento has the shortest stopping distance of three.
I had no clue about the stopping distances. It's just that I felt the feedback and bite to be more prominent in the other two cars. You seem to have done more homework in this department so perhaps you are right. I have never stood on the brakes on any of these cars, just driven them normally.

Quote:
Interesting, can you please explain ?. I thought Vento and Linea are built better and have better brakes. Typical Euro cars.
The Vento scores only as much as a Polo, and the Linea, while strong, does not come close to the new Fiesta. Even if you were to compare the crash safety ratings of their hatchback foundations, the Fiesta scores a lot higher than the Polo or Punto. Fiesta is also the only car in its segment that uses high-intensity boron steel in certain crucial areas which make the car a lot stronger. I would actually say that the Fiesta is more European than the Linea unless we're talking eastern-europe here because of the perfect driving position, superior cabin insulation, feature list and safety features available across all variants.

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th August 2014 at 23:31.
Old 5th August 2014, 00:57   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please check with @crazydriver. He went through the same process, for his Punto.
Thanks ampere, I thought he ended up paying taxes. Would definitely check with him.
Old 5th August 2014, 01:05   #824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere, I thought he ended up paying taxes. Would definitely check with him.
Sorry! I thought you decided to go that route. Hence I suggested to check with him. Because as you rightly said, he paid the tax.
Old 5th August 2014, 08:18   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Linea with its now, unnecessarily tall ground clearance, and slightly softer suspension setup doesn't feel as balanced as the Fiesta. I clearly mentioned that was talking about poise

I had no clue about the stopping distances.
A small correction, with increased ground clearance on the Linea the suspension is stiffer and not softer. Due to this the low speed ride quality is stiff but as the speeds rise the ride quality improves and is very good. But the Fiesta has struck a balance between both low speed ride and higher speed rides.

When I last checked out the brakes on the Linea had more bite than new Fiesta. But compared to the other cars in the segment, both Linea and Fiesta have better braking ability, bite and feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks