Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 20:34   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Comparisons aside, how many of us would be *actually* willing to put our money on a Petrol TATA ?
There is actually no comparison at all between a japanese/korean petrol with a TATA petrol. And this includes not only the technical aspects viz the performance, FE, reliability, but service center knowhow also. I am afraid TATA does not fair too well here.
Shouldn't it really be a "FIAT petrol"? IMO in other departments, fit and finish, Manza has improved a lot. This is easily the best TATA car.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:55   #212
BANNED

Quote:
Comparisons aside, how many of us would be *actually* willing to put our money on a Petrol TATA ?
There is actually no comparison at all between a japanese/korean petrol with a TATA petrol. And this includes not only the technical aspects viz the performance, FE, reliability, but service center knowhow also. I am afraid TATA does not fair too well here.
Would you if someone told you that manza has italian heart, the same one used in your favourite car?.

Vijay
Old 17th February 2010, 21:14   #213
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse its a Fiat engine.
So what ? There is very little technical expertise of TATA serivce personal of the petrol engine. Their strong point is *Diesels*.
And, i would rather prefer a korean/japanese Petrol engine anyday, over a Fiat one. For diesels though, its the Fiat which has the upper hand, without any doubt. But petrol, no TATA (ok, TATA-FIAT) please.
Old 17th February 2010, 21:27   #214
BANNED

Quote:
So what ? There is very little technical expertise of TATA serivce personal of the petrol engine. Their strong point is *Diesels*.
And, i would rather prefer a korean/japanese Petrol engine anyday, over a Fiat one. For diesels though, its the Fiat which has the upper hand, without any doubt. But petrol, no TATA (ok, TATA-FIAT) please.
And hope your expert comments on Tata personnel is based on personal experiences with Tata and possibly includes Manza?.

Wonder why all Tata bashers turn out to be Maruti owners?

Vijay
Old 17th February 2010, 21:33   #215
srh
BHPian

Quote:
I actually did. And its suited me great. No regrets. My Xeta engine blows away the puny high revving low torque Alto/ Wagon R/ Estilo engines anyday

And the service center persons have not required to touch the engine, so doesn't matter if they do or do not know the engine

PS: Even after 29,000 km on the ODO, the engine sounds and works as good as it was on the first day. Advantage of having a petrol engine sharing parts with a diesel engine which is designed to take much more stress.

Last edited by srh : 17th February 2010 at 21:35. Reason: Wanted to add more comments
Old 17th February 2010, 22:04   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I actually did. And its suited me great. No regrets. My Xeta engine blows away the puny high revving low torque Alto/ Wagon R/ Estilo engines anyday

And the service center persons have not required to touch the engine, so doesn't matter if they do or do not know the engine

PS: Even after 29,000 km on the ODO, the engine sounds and works as good as it was on the first day. Advantage of having a petrol engine sharing parts with a diesel engine which is designed to take much more stress.
+1. Ditto for the Xeta GLX we own. And it can Roar, with all due respect to the K Series engine! And no issues with the Xeta engine yet, 4 years up so far. 1.4litres of pure, unadulterated petrolhead passion!

Last edited by abhi413 : 17th February 2010 at 22:05.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:13   #217
Senior - BHPian

What about the waiting period?? Is that part of the comparison?

Also, priority in the terms of whether the buyer will drive or will be chauffeur driven, also matters.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:57   #218
BHPian

Quote:

Please support your statement quoting your own experience's.
Old 18th February 2010, 01:02   #219
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are extremely ugly but if i had to choose i'd opt for the Manza. This is based on a test drive of both cars and the Manza definitely feels better to drive. As for the dashboard both are awash in low grade plastics. Sadly, manufacturers still don't get it when it comes to interiors. This is where people spend most time in their cars yet storing a water bottle can be an exercise in some!. For the money, the Manza it is!.
Old 18th February 2010, 09:01   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few major things which Dzire Vxi has but Manza Aura Safire lacks :

1) Keyless entry
2) Rear fog lamps
3) Adjustable rear seat head restraint
4) Driver seat belt & door ajar warning
keyless entry, rear fog lamps can be fitted aftermarket. Other things are not really necessary IMO.

PS: I dont like both these cars
anyways if some one give below car for me for free, my action would be as below

1. DZIRE : Sell it in the showroom and pay advance for Kizashi
2. Manza : Sell it in showroom and and buy a Punto

Old 18th February 2010, 10:47   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
What about the waiting period?? Is that part of the comparison?
No, I am only comparing the two cars as a product without going into the waiting period or the A.S.S. as we all are aware of the long waiting period for Dzire & Maruti is well known for it's A.S.S. Even though there have been some good things being said about the Tata A.S.S. off late but the previous record of Tata in terms of service does make you think twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Also, priority in the terms of whether the buyer will drive or will be chauffeur driven, also matters.
A bit of both.Though I am aware that the Dzire is cramped whereas there is loads of space in Manza for rear seat passengers.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:42   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Why would a tata service guy have to open up and learn the Fiat petrol engine?

It also cannot happen that TATA hasn't trained any of its personnel (atleast the senior ones) on the ins and outs of Fiat petrol engines.

Iam sure they can't sell cars with engines they don't understand.

Fact remains that TATA was predominantly a diesel-only car manufacturer, and got great mileage with its cheap diesel cars, and later on got its feet wet in the petrol market. And when it sensed it wasn't heading anywhere with its own engines (diesel AND petrol), they got on to the Fiat bandwagon. The move has paid dividends for them. And the customers.

The only problem with TATA cars (irrespective of whether its a Diesel or Petrol) is the poor QC. It actually sucks big time. Iam sick of TATA quality. There are lots of small things that go wrong in the initial months of ownership that makes the owner wish they hadn't bought a TATA.

Last edited by WindRide : 18th February 2010 at 13:43.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:34   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Why would a tata service guy have to open up and learn the Fiat petrol engine?

It also cannot happen that TATA hasn't trained any of its personnel (atleast the senior ones) on the ins and outs of Fiat petrol engines.

Iam sure they can't sell cars with engines they don't understand.

Fact remains that TATA was predominantly a diesel-only car manufacturer, and got great mileage with its cheap diesel cars, and later on got its feet wet in the petrol market. And when it sensed it wasn't heading anywhere with its own engines (diesel AND petrol), they got on to the Fiat bandwagon. The move has paid dividends for them. And the customers.

The only problem with TATA cars (irrespective of whether its a Diesel or Petrol) is the poor QC. It actually sucks big time. Iam sick of TATA quality. There are lots of small things that go wrong in the initial months of ownership that makes the owner wish they hadn't bought a TATA.
absolutely spot on, tata has to improve its QC big time, though things have changed since Vista was launched and we can see the difference butsmal niggles regarding the same still persists which the owner does feel and thing second why didnt i thought this before buying a tata car.I own a diesel indica and mycousin owns petrol xeta, both are doing their duty perfectly fine for past 5 years, but plastics,quality,allingment,body panel uneven gaps, and many such small things are neglected which needs to me improved from its manufacturing units.Else yes surely nothing wrong in ownership of TATA vehicles for sure.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:21   #224
BHPian

Hi! I agree to the fact that TATA are better in diesels than petrol engines. Maruti's petrol engines, are, well like the add says : leaner, meaner and fitter. One interesting things i noticed after i test drove the Manza compared to the Dzire is that the Manza needs a longer radius to make a U-turn compared to the Dzire. Ground clearance on Dzire is marginally higher than Manza. I feel comparing Manza Aura Safire with Dzire Vx is unfair. Aura Safire is the high end version, and it needs to be pitched against Dzire Zx. Then its a level playing field in terms of features. In that, the Dzire comes with alloys whereas the Manza does not. But in terms of engine, i read that the Manza is a common rail petrol inline 4. The Dzire is MPI, making it slightly more fuel efficient compared to Manza. The ugly trunk on Dzire is also larger than that of Manza. As the thread creator said earlier, I will not go into A.S.S. Manza has a hydraulic power steering whereas the Dzire comes with state of the art electronic power steering, giving it feather light car control. Aura Safire is priced at 5.4 lacs while Dzire Vx is at 5.2 lacs. So comparing Aura to Dzire, for luxury and a car to be "driven" in, i would go for Manza Aura. But if i am the one to "drive" the car, its Dzire anyday, sheer driving pleasure! End of day, both are potent entry level sedans and the choice is yours.
Old 18th February 2010, 22:13   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
There are lots of small things that go wrong in the initial months of ownership that makes the owner wish they hadn't bought a TATA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I feel comparing Manza Aura Safire with Dzire Vx is unfair. Aura Safire is the high end version, and it needs to be pitched against Dzire Zx. Then its a level playing field in terms of features. In that, the Dzire comes with alloys whereas the Manza does not. But in terms of engine, i read that the Manza is a common rail petrol inline 4. The Dzire is MPI, making it slightly more fuel efficient compared to Manza. The ugly trunk on Dzire is also larger than that of Manza. As the thread creator said earlier, I will not go into A.S.S. Manza has a hydraulic power steering whereas the Dzire comes with state of the art electronic power steering, giving it feather light car control. Aura Safire is priced at 5.4 lacs while Dzire Vx is at 5.2 lacs. So comparing Aura to Dzire, for luxury and a car to be "driven" in, i would go for Manza Aura. But if i am the one to "drive" the car, its Dzire anyday, sheer driving pleasure! End of day, both are potent entry level sedans and the choice is yours.
Have had a Indica V2 Petrol since 2003, which had the first set of 16bit MPFI engine. The engine has NEVER given any trouble. In fact, the only two things that have (and still do) irritate are the Fuel Gauge (which never worked past the first 3 months) and the silencer (which needs to be changed every year, like clockwork or it starts falling to bits).

The car has been on a multitude of long trips, and has Never let us down. The powerful (if a bit boomy) engine is good on the highways, and in the city can peacefully lug a full load around without too many gear shifts.

Comparing the Safire Aura with Vxi is correct. You would have to compare the Safire Aura+ with the Zxi. And apart from the difference in features, the Manza is a LOT bigger.

Would like to see how the Dzire with the K-series engine compares now to the Safire Manza. Comparo anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks