Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If I had to buy one of these two sedans today I will put my money on,
Swift DZire 76 23.46%
Tata Manza 248 76.54%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 00:06   #106
BHPian

Going by the sales figures (forget features & looks), Dzire seems to have to hit the bulls-eye. Manza is still trying to find its feet. Unfortunately Manza may go the same way as Indica Vista, good features, reviews, looks & price but sales not matching its older version. Ultimately people go by herd mentality, i.e. "I will buy what most people will buy". It does not really matter whether Manza is better than Dzire.

Suzuki have a reputation which Tata Motors are still trying to create. Ultimately Suzuki have vast exposure to international markets and can access international technolgy & trends and can market its cars over much larger market, whereas Tatas have to depend mostly on its Indian offices & some help from its international partners and market is almost 90% Indian. The Ritz, A-Star (Alto), Swift, Estillo (Wagon-R) are also exported overseas (of course quality is better than for Indian market). Tatas atleast for next 10 years will not be in a position despite its international take overs to challenge Suzukis or Hyundais for number 1 spot. Again I repeat it really does not matter whether Vista or Manza or Aria is a good machine.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:04   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
Again I repeat it really does not matter whether Vista or Manza or Aria is a good machine.
Ehh... No offense, but what matters then ? I thought the whole point of discussion here is about the better car between DZire and Manza.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Ehh... No offense, but what matters then ? I thought the whole point of discussion here is about the better car between DZire and Manza.
I think arunpn is trying to say that no matter how good Tata product is over Maruti Suzuki, when it's time to purchase one, most of us only consider A.S.S & resale value!!

Sometimes I think "Indica Vista or Indigo Manza should have been launched as Maruti Vista or Maruti Manza" just to see how people react!!
Old 28th January 2010, 11:13   #109
BHPian

re:

Well, I want to add my 2 cents here.
The Power steering of Dzire is EPS which is from new generation technology, fuel efficient (saves 8-10% of your fuel consumption), easy to drive (even for women).
On the other hand, Manza comes with the old tech hydraulic power steering which draws power from the engine i.e. reduces the FE figure.

Also, my wise man says that EPS is THE PS which is suitable for city traffic.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:44   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
People are deviating here from the actual query from the thread starter of whether to buy the Manza or the Dzire. This instead is turning into a marquee war thread and from the looks of it the tata bashers are having a hey day!

Just adding my 2 cents, from my visits to the Tata a.s.s for my Indica, i can safely say that the Tata a.s.s has come a long way from their previous days and have made commendable progress both in their servicing and their new vehicles.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:59   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post

Just adding my 2 cents, from my visits to the Tata a.s.s for my Indica, i can safely say that the Tata a.s.s has come a long way from their previous days and have made commendable progress both in their servicing and their new vehicles.
+1
From my experiences with Tata Showroom and T.A.S.S, I can say that they come long way from the old days. They do go the extra mile to please the customers now.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:01   #112
BHPian

Fair enough to say that both cars are good, dzire has proved, manza has to prove, thats all.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:39   #113
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand how people are comparing the sales of the two cars when the manza is just about 2 months old. To come to a conclusion on sales numbers the car sales have to be observed for atleast 5-6 months. As with all TATA products, people are initially cautious and wait for the initial niggles to be ironed out. It will be intresting to watch dezire v/s manza sales from next month since the manza has received good reviews and from word of mouth of satisfied owners...
Old 28th January 2010, 16:01   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
History says Tata cars fetch little cash when sold;and are anyway not too easy to maintain especially after two years.

Yes,I have loved the Indigo and now love the Manza for sheer comfort but I would vote for teh DZire as the better overall car.The rear seat in the DZire is not at all bad - have done many journeys and in fact rate it way better than the ANHC also
Rear seat of the Dzrire isnot bad at all and is comparable to the ANHC . Dude are you Shinzo Nakanishi?

This ladies and gentlemen is called, do what you want Maruti we will q up and buy that piece of junk syndrome
Old 28th January 2010, 16:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
Thanks for all the responses, yeah sure Manza is definately better when it comes to the overall design . Just adding to the discussion would not the limited edition Ford Diesel 1.4 be a better bet then Manza and Dezire, although the price difference would be around 50K.
Lets leave the Dzire out please.I would not advice you to go for one even if someone bribes me.Better get a Swift.

The ford ikon TDCi would not compare with the manza in the sense that its too small when compared to the Manza. Manza has better features at the same price + 90 bhp VGT engine which should give similar mileage to the Ford diesel + better performance.

If you are talking of the Fiesta, sure it is a wonderful car but you will lose out on the feature list. The Manza+50k means a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi EXI limited edition.AFAIK, that one only offers seat height adjust and there's no stereo.Of course, no ABS. The Manza model comes with ABS (at something like the same price) and that is a safety feature you should get no matter how much you look at other factors.ABS has saved my life (in my Fiesta petrol) but that's another story.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:27   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
If you want to forget all the 'Gizmos and Stuff' maybe a bullock cart will be the ideal vehicle. Hang on pal, say Bollocks to the Bullocks too, and vote for just the Cart in this years ICOTY!!

+1 There is just no come back. Forget the Gizmos and go for a bullock cart. HAHA this is the how Maruti owners buy a car. Forget everything else book and wait for the junk and then log onto T-bhp and try defending the Junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11mahesh11 View Post
Fair enough to say that both cars are good, dzire has proved, manza has to prove, thats all.

SOrry to disagree Dzire is proved to be good, Manza has potential to go much beyond good and that is what i want sometimes good is not good enough. The way my Dad's Dzire boot rattles at speed above 60,and maruti "famed" *** trying to find a solution for the past 14 months is reason enough for me not to consider a MARUTI ever again.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 29th January 2010 at 12:58. Reason: See the note at the end of your post
Old 28th January 2010, 17:37   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1 View Post
SOrry to disagree Dzire is proved to be good, Manza has potential to go much beyond good and that is what i want sometimes good is not good enough. The way my Dad's Dzire boot rattles at speed above 60,and maruti "famed" *** trying to find a solution for the past 14 months is reason enough for me not to consider a MARUTI ever again.
That's exactly what i said in my earlier post's, different people, varied experiences, different priorities. (your comment is definitely with experience on the product but others also have good experience with the same product, maybe in other features of the product)that's how the discussions get so lovely.
So, how u see a winner here??? one is of course, u will not deny. SALE FIGURE. and Manza has to prove it overall, in the coming months.

I feel a product is good only with other relevant factors like A.S.S. reliability and good spare price and all.
As a product Manza seems a better car to drive. but the new k series engine needs to be driven. (Ritz vxi felt real good and with just 10 kg weight difference for dzire, with better transmission, i think, should not have much impact for driveability)

I myself will be very happy for manza, to give a stiff competition to Dzire, but let the product as a whole fight it out and let us enjoy the benefits of it to the consumer at large.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:26   #118
BHPian

From going through this post I see that people here talk about the After Sales Service when discussing which is a "good car".

IMO, A** should be used to judge the manufacturer and NOT the car. Ofcourse I do not deny that you SHOULD consider the quality of service when you buy a car. But, for a good car, a poor A** should not make it to be considered a "bad car".
For eg., a car may be good. But, I may still not buy it because of poor A**. (I think the dismal sales of Fiat cars would come under this category).

Coming to the build quality (or the lack of) of Tata cars, we (me and my parents) have been using the Indica Xeta GLX (Yes! Tata's petrol engine) for the last 3+ years and driven to about 28K kms. Till today I have no performance issues with the car. Its still pretty silent inside the cabin.

The plastic quality is one thing which is bad. But, they have been improving it constantly which is seen in Vista, Manza and Aria.

Tata entered the passenger car segment only in 1991 (considering Tata Sierra). Though many consider Tata motors from Indica launch, I would still take Sierra as the first step. And, we can see the forward steps they have taken in the past 19 years including stunning the entire Automobile industry with Nano.
In comparison Hyundai started making passenger cars from 1968.

Now, coming to the topic of Dzire Vs Manza

1. Both are essentially boot added to hatchback. How they fare? You can judge yourself from the below pix. (Mods, help me put the pix one below the other so that the objective is met) My personal opinion Manza is just slightly better. Also, Tatas have modified the front a little from the Vista which Maruti did not do. Finally, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

2. Diesel engine - Am mentioning only diesel here because, though both are essentially the same Fiat 1248cc one, the tuning is different. Am listing the specs here just for reference:
Dzire Manza
75PS @ 4000 rpm 90PS@4000 rpm
190Nm @ 2,000rpm 200 Nm@ 1750-3000 RPM
FGT VGT (somebody has already mentioned this)
1115(Zdi) kgs (Kerb) 1,210 kgs

Have not driven both. So, will not comment on how does this translate to drivability.

3. Gizmos - Manza wins here.

4. Space and comfort - Manza is ahead by a mile.

5. Ride and Handling - No comments as I have not driven.

6. Plastics - Though Dzire is not great, I felt it to be better than Manza.

So, my vote on the car goes to Manza.

Regarding the A**, having used a Tata car for 3+ years, the TASS is not as bad as it made out to be. On MASS, have no experience.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Car is better : Maruti Dzire Vdi or Tata Manza Aura?-vista.jpg  

Which Car is better : Maruti Dzire Vdi or Tata Manza Aura?-manza.jpg  

Which Car is better : Maruti Dzire Vdi or Tata Manza Aura?-swift.jpg  

Which Car is better : Maruti Dzire Vdi or Tata Manza Aura?-dzire.jpg  

Old 28th January 2010, 22:00   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post

Sometimes I think "Indica Vista or Indigo Manza should have been launched as Maruti Vista or Maruti Manza" just to see how people react!!
Interesting what would have been people's reaction if instead of Indica Vista we had Maruti Vista & instead of Indigo Manza we had Maruti Manza, then which car would have been better Dzire or Maruti Manza?

Will the parameters for judging the car remain same or would it be different?

This way we will know whether Manza & Vista sales are put off by Tata tag or are they really not good cars.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:09   #120
Senior - BHPian

GREAT POST. If a better car means lesser troubles and better fit and finish and better gadgets. I think these cars would stand equal. The Dzire would gain points for lesser troubles since its an older model. Probably the Manza would loose a lot of points here for no fault of its but due to the niggles on its older brothers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks