Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 15:18   #1906
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Thanks - I'll look into it. Prima facie, concrete blocks (some types of which are even made from captured industrial fly ash, which is a good thing) seem to be quite heavy. For the type of building plan we had in mind (stilt + 2 floors), the sprung weight on the basement will probably be unsustainable, but I'll talk to a builder about it.

For reference, I have already considered interlocking bricks (which are quite heavy as well) and have been advised to not consider it for my vertical building plan. Such heavy blocks/bricks are good for ground floor or G+1 structures at the most.
Concrete blocks are not that heavy compared to bricks. A 6 inch concrete block has the volume of around 5 bricks. So, if you compare that way a concrete block is around 20 percent heavier than the corresponding red brick for a given volume. Also, you need mortar to layer 5 bricks together which also adds to the weight for a given volume.

One downside of concrete blocks is they absorb heat more than the red bricks. So, you may want to consider red bricks for the walls that are exposed to the afternoon and evening sunlight.

Also, the load of the bricks/blocks is taken by the columns and beams and passed to the earth. A structural engineer would consider the loading aspects before suggesting the length and width of each column and the thickness of steel to be used in the columns

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 9th March 2022 at 15:21.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 14:47   #1907
BANNED

My kitchen tap's top has detached from the rest of the tap. It doesn't cause any functional problems but doesn't look good - i.e. it's a cosmetic problem.

This is the top view of the tap after the top has detached/fallen off.
Name:  Tap1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  17.9 KB

This is the outer side of the part that has fallen off.
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-tap2.jpg

This is the inner side of the part that has fallen off.
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-tap3.jpg

What can I do to fix this?

1) Do I have to replace the whole tap or can I replace some part of it?

or

2) Can I just stick the top back with fevikwik or something? Will it hold?
Old 10th March 2022, 15:29   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My kitchen tap's top has detached from the rest of the tap. It doesn't cause any functional problems but doesn't look good - i.e. it's a cosmetic problem.

1) Do I have to replace the whole tap or can I replace some part of it?
As far as I know that part just snaps onto the top of the tap and there is a rubber O ring that prevents water from going into this area. You can snap it back in place by applying some force. If it doesnt stay there you might use some adhesive like araldite but keep in mind that this cap might have to be removed in the future for any repairs of the tap.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 15:47   #1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
So my cousin's house is being constructed in my native place Nainital, right next to our house. It is a mammoth 5bhk house on a 8000sq ft plot, where I often sauntered to talk to the contractor (who btw was also constructing 5 other houses) during the day.
From his experience (and I have no way to either verify or back this up):
1. These blocks haven't been successful in construction of homes
2. He knows about tier 2/3 cities like Nainital/ Haldwani/ Pantnagar etc. and said none of these cities have attracted these blocks
3. He said these blocks face many issues (referred to them as cement blocks) namely brittleness, seepage etc.

I inferred this hesitation might also be due to lack of available skill in making houses using these blocks. He could easily get folks to make houses using standard bricks (which he said he was employing from past 10-20 years).

He usually narrated many interesting tales especially how he moved from being daily worker to a contractor. Take all this with a fistful of salt.
HI There, read your post and i would like to draw you attention that AAC block are very good and one must use them in their construction, They will be a future trend in building the houses of our nation.
I have personally used them are our on going project here in Gujarat, and i must say that they are very nice to use and require very less time to erect the walls when used. To be specific we have used the blocks that are manufactured by Ambuja Cement and have used their block jointing Mortar called blockol. Below are benfits of using the AAC Blocks
1. They come in different sizes starting from 4 inches to 9 inches. So if a person wants to erect a partition wall or a regular 9 inch wall they can be easily erected using them.
2. These blocks are generally load bearing, meaning if you erect 9inch thick wall structure using these blocks then them slab centring can rest on the wall and one can used less support in between slab while casting it.
3. They have insulation properties, in summers they keep atleast 6*c cool interiors and during winters they do the opposite.
4. They are eco friendly, the process of making them doesnt harm the environment, while manufacturing the bricks will definately harm the environment.
5. They are termite resistent, as there are no natural materials involved the termite cannot feed on them.
6. Plaster can easily be done as the blocks are symmetric and line, level and plumb bob level can be easily maintained even 200 ft in length.

Coming back to why people are not preferring them over brick are because, these blocks are very heavy.
1. The mason needs atleast 2 helpers while doing the masonry. On the other hand bricks are lighter and can used single handedly.
2. Cutting them requires tools like grinder, and some masons really dont know how to use grinder machine ate time so its a task for them.
3. Masons generally apply over plaster in order to hide their mistakes in brick masonry, with blocks masonry only 5mm plaster is required.

In all sometime it becomes hassle for contractor to procure them as the price of procuring 1 CuMt is 3600 INR so it becomes difficult and company requires a full payment in advance. So due to this the contractor say no the AAC blocks. I have been construction a 36000SqFt mansion for my clients and we havent used a single bricks in construction.
IM_PARTHRATHOD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 02:24   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_PARTHRATHOD View Post
I have been construction a 36000SqFt mansion for my clients and we havent used a single bricks in construction.
How good is the sound insulation of AAC blocks? As in if used as a partition wall in the house, does it insulate the sound to an extent or will it transfer most of it? Asking coz if the kitchen and bedroom share a wall (which typically owing to Vastu we end up doing it), it would be a royal pain to hear the water in the sink/mixer running when you are a later riser while the family wants to go about their usual routines.
Old 15th March 2022, 04:41   #1911
BHPian

Quote:
My kitchen tap's top has detached from the rest of the tap. It doesn't cause any functional problems but doesn't look good - i.e. it's a cosmetic problem...
Jaquar? They will replace it free of cost. A long time ago they replaced them because some batches were made of plastic - a voluntary recall.
Old 15th March 2022, 07:10   #1912
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Jaquar? They will replace it free of cost. A long time ago they replaced them because some batches were made of plastic - a voluntary recall.
It's like 7 years old & I don't even have any proof of purchase.
Old 15th March 2022, 09:56   #1913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1) Do I have to replace the whole tap or can I replace some part of it?...
If you can't snap it back on like audioholic suggested, check a local plumbing store if you can find a rotating top that fits.

Most of them are the center screw type where it fastens onto the actual spindle underneath (usually brass), and the press-fit cap to hide the screw.

Best not to stick the cap on permanently as you'll need to undo the screw at some point to replace the spindle.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th March 2022 at 09:59.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 11:27   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
It's like 7 years old & I don't even have any proof of purchase.
My suggestion would be to call and check, or write to their customer service - they are likely to oblige. I was pleasantly surprised that they sent their people to replace these caps without anyone asking - but this was some years ago. Hopefully their attitude has remained the same. Do let us know how they respond.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 15:24   #1915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
How good is the sound insulation of AAC blocks? As in if used as a partition wall in the house, does it insulate the sound to an extent or will it transfer most of it? Asking coz if the kitchen and bedroom share a wall (which typically owing to Vastu we end up doing it), it would be a royal pain to hear the water in the sink/mixer running when you are a later riser while the family wants to go about their usual routines.
AAC blocks do insulate sound, but it is difficult to hang a vanity counter/wash basin from such a wall, as the screw holding capacity is not great. In such cases solid block may be provided up to the vanity level and rest of the wall shall be made using AAC blocks.
josetom89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 17:20   #1916
BHPian

Guys what's an easy way to clean off all wall paints from an aluminum ladder ?
Old 15th March 2022, 17:42   #1917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_PARTHRATHOD View Post
HI There, read your post and i would like to draw you attention that AAC block are very good and one must use them in their construction, They will be a future trend in building the houses of our nation.
Thanks for writing in! Much appreciated.

Speaking of superior insulation with AAC blocks, there are even YouTube videos showing a blowtorch being used on a AAC block versus a brick; the AAC block doesn't pass on the heat from one end to the other unlike a red brick despite the stupendously high heat involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetom89 View Post
AAC blocks do insulate sound, but it is difficult to hang a vanity counter/wash basin from such a wall, as the screw holding capacity is not great. In such cases solid block may be provided up to the vanity level and rest of the wall shall be made using AAC blocks.
In my research, there was mention of a special type of screw that they use to set up cupboards off of walls made with AAC blocks. I guessed that they're referring to screws that fan out upon penetration of the wall and anchor in place (those screws are used to hang structures off of plaster walls that homes in the US are typically made of).
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 17:50   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Guys what's an easy way to clean off all wall paints from an aluminum ladder ?
Good old turpentine.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 05:28   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
I have a simple question. I need to redo my floor tiles as well as repaint my flat. Which should be done first? I am told that tiles should be done first, but not entirely convinced because there could be paint smears om them afterwards.
Old 16th March 2022, 06:52   #1920
Senior - BHPian

They cover the floor these days before painting. Ours was done to perfection. Even dust is sucked in by their scrapers (Plz pardon the Low res pic shared by contractor)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Folks, I have a simple question. I need to redo my floor tiles as well as repaint my flat. Which should be done first? I am told that tiles should be done first, but not entirely convinced because there could be paint smears om them afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-screen-shot-20220316-6.55.31-am.png  

Last edited by Sebring : 16th March 2022 at 07:00.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks