Old 14th May 2012, 12:12   #796
BHPian

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Got my BOA tickets today!
Anybody else going?
Old 17th May 2012, 21:54   #797
Team-BHP Support

Epica's new album (Requiem For The Indifferent)

METAL RULES
Old 18th May 2012, 18:53   #798
Senior - BHPian

really love the way "storm the sorrow" starts

and the fact that she is so damn hot also helps
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:23   #799
Team-BHP Support

After almost two years after the release of Final Frontier, its now that songs
are sinking in to me. Initially the music seemed so different.

I left the disc in cold. When it spins again, the songs actually feel good.
I guess one needs to leave a fallow ground to reap a good harvest!
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:20   #800
BHPian

HI,

Can experienced member's please help me figure out Heavy Metal bands that are strictly non-satanic. I feel Slayer, Dimmu Borgir all deal with death, blasphemy,killing god, black church etc.

I feel sick when i listen to them, suggest me some good one like "Death - (Chuck Schulinder") for example is non satanic though negative in subject.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:35   #801
BHPian

there are hundreds if not thousands of bands which aren't satanic (in image or lyrics). My point being unless you are averse to them due for religious reasons, there is no need to diss on them because you are cutting out a huge chunk of music (good music too) out of your life. just my opinion of course.

Most older bands have some time or other dealt with satanic/occult subjects during their long careers still it is easy to find such bands in genres like traditional heavy metal (with mythological, fantasy themes) or thrash metal (quite often political or war related topics)

what are bands you listen to? so we can rec you more of those styles.
well...its going to be tough because if it ain't satanic as such, it often is anti-religion/god
Old 24th May 2012, 14:59   #802
BHPian

@sriram,

Just curious to know why you feel 'sick' after listening to some of the best music ever made? Is it because of the aggressive lyrics and imagery or is it because you find it offensive from a religious persepective?

If it's the former, then you might not want to listen to (most) metal music at all, because metal is the aural equivalent of war. It is an aggressive art form and deals with themes such as death, rebellion,anger and hatred (especially of organized religion and politics) to name a few. If it's the latter then you have to keep an open mind and enjoy it just like you would enjoy, say a horror film which deals with satanic imagery.

Whether you're religious or an atheist like me, ultimately the greatest virtue is to have an open mind and practise a 'live and let live' philosophy. Just because one subscribes to a certain set of beliefs doesn't mean that people who have a different persepective should be judged negatively.

You might be surprised to learn that Slayer's Tom Araya (vocalist, bassist and songwriter) is actually a practising catholic while Kerry King (guitars, songwriter) is an atheist and loves writing anti-christian lyrics. However, they still got together and made some of the most amazing thrash metal known to mankind. The guys from Dimmu Borgir are not devil worshippers in the literal sense of the word. Satan for most of these guys is a personification of rebellion, individuallity and someone who questions the status quo. Nobody (sane) actually believes that there's a dude with horns and a tail who buys your soul and gives you riches. That's just a fairy tale.

So welcome to the world of metal my friend. Explore, discover and enjoy this wonderful genre but take the satanic stuff with a pinch of salt.

Here's Orgasmatron by Motorhead. Enjoy!

Last edited by Wolfheart : 24th May 2012 at 15:10.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:09   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Most older bands have some time or other dealt with satanic/occult subjects during their long careers still it is easy to find such bands in genres like traditional heavy metal (with mythological, fantasy themes) or thrash metal (quite often political or war related topics)

what are bands you listen to? so we can rec you more of those styles.
well...its going to be tough because if it ain't satanic as such, it often is anti-religion/god
IMHO - metal is totally a form of music that deals with the darker side of life. If love songs are just that, and rock songs are sometimes about heartbreak and other lovey-dovey stuff, metal takes it a step further. It tells you to damn love and "order" as the world knows it. To deal with your hate and anger in a different way. No wonder so many kids of the 80's grew up with metal. And yes, like Abhay has mentioned - even if they aren't overtly "satanic", they will be "negative" and surely anti-religion.

And yes, if you can tell us what bands you listen to, perhaps there might be some bands we can recommend. But well...
Old 24th May 2012, 15:12   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

So welcome to the world of metal my friend. Explore, discover and enjoy this wonderful genre but take the satanic stuff with a pinch of salt.
Ah, only if there was still a thanks button in shifting gears

@sriram: Completely agree with Wolfheart, if you listen to black metal doesn't make you satanic neither does it make the musicians satanic. Its all about the interpretation.

According to me, Thrash, Black and Death Metal have the most talented and best musicians among all genres of music, so all I can say is 'up with the horns' \m/
Old 24th May 2012, 15:34   #805
Team-BHP Support

Music can never be the work of the Devil.

Music is something one enjoys listening to. Why is it perceived that if you enjoy something, it might be the work of the Devil or is Satanic.

I've heard of these Satanic metal-bands. They have a theme. And incidentally, they choose to write or express their feeling toward atheism. It's just a theme. What really matters is the soul and emotion they put into writing their music. The sheer talent and skill in being able to compose a musical piece requires appreciation, as some may have the ability to showcase this brilliantly as they do.

At the end of the day, it's about one's perception towards things. And taste of course.

Oh, and yes \m/ of course!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2012 at 15:35.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:41   #806
BHPian

Thanks to one and all, i did not have the time to thank each person here for their time and effort esp Wolf and Abhay,

I am listening to metal since 1998 and been through from Bon Jovi to Megadeth to Deicide to Overkill, Slayer, Napal M Death, Obituary and White Zombie,

The stuff that made me feel sick were the Slayer, Deicide & Obituary numbers, they dealt with carnage in temple, blaspherereion, mephistelpheles all dealing with Satan stuff, killing God, blasphemy diring mass etc, i am sure it's just their way of an extreme expression in the music business but its saddened me by the way the content was designed and sung.

Otherwise the bands i enjoyed where Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth's two heavy albums, Sepultura, Bio hazard, Death, Dimmu Borgir (Anthem was awesome), Opeth. I loved all Opeth's numbers though they were dark in content but were lesser extreme in nature.

Suggest me christian rock for 'On the Move' listening, i wish to avoid negative music while on the move, i have a phobia i may screw up the ride one day. During driving, fast music can be confidence inspiring but music related to doom, death, killing, civil wars will not be. For a smooth & safe driving experience, my very humble personal opinion is, negative things tend to happen based on the energies concentrated upon a particular spot, or based on the actions performed, where there is divinity there is all the more a lesser chance for a mishap.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 24th May 2012 at 16:11.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:53   #807
Senior - BHPian

Try the band Trouble. Their music was dubbed as white metal, as opposed to black metal. Their music sounded more like doom metal.

You could try Skillet and Stryper too, but that's not exactly heavy metal.

I also listen to Cathedral, although it might not exactly be what you are looking for.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:56   #808
BHPian

not sure I am recc'ing christian rock since I have no clue about such bands but,
driving music?

* Judas Priest - you said you liked it..what is better while driving?
especially the earlier albums.

* Motorhead
* Rush (not metal per se but still great)
* Iced Earth
* Manilla Road
* Brocas Helm
^these are mostly trad heavy metal bands....

more positive and less dark styles/bands would be Power Metal or battle metal..if yes,
you must try
*Blind Guardian
*Bathory (albums from Blood Fire Death onwards....more viking oriented)
Old 24th May 2012, 18:09   #809
Team-BHP Support

Rush and Blind Guardian are my personal favorites for the road.
Blind Guardian esp. form a beautiful melody. If you have not heard you should definitely try them.

And Rush: I have never seen other bands pay so much detail into production as them.
Their writer (and also the drummer) the legendary Neil Peart is amazing.

Late 70s, early 80s all : sci-fy motivations. 2112 (inspired by Ayn Rand) Remember And Meek Shall inherit the earth?

80s was more influenced by keyboards and guitar took a back stage.
The came back with bang in 90s. All albums are some thought provoking themes.

Rush to me is epitome of thinking man's metal.

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2012 at 18:10.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:21   #810
BHPian

Thank you all, i am picking up the artists suggested by everyone here, just wanted feel more easier on the road

How is Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, Tom pEtty & BB King in your opinion for "On the Move" music listening.?

I Hope i did not disappoint anyone by infusing my mindset here, listening to heavy/black metal on the move is 100% individual discretion. I just conveyed what i had in mind, felt like listening to lighter stuff may calm the nerves and one can focus on the drive better, that's it.

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2012 at 12:54. Reason: Next time, infraction. Team-BHP does NOT allow any discussion on pirated content

Most Viewed