Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 14:53   #721
BHPian

Re: Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Ok. It's official.

"Summerstorm Festival 2012 will see Prog giants Opeth headline"
I do plan on going this time, if it is after Feb 19 I am in!

sorry...read it now..Feb 5th? probably won't be able to make it then :\

If they are going to play stuff from Heritage then it's not much of a worry, I mean it is good as far as prog rock goes but its way too different to their 90s music (which is what I enjoy the most)
Old 27th December 2011, 01:50   #722
Team-BHP Support

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
Wouldn't say Tool is fairly new. In fact, they've been releasing albums in the early 90s.
Oh when I said fairly new, I meant that relatively. I don't listen to today's music. In fact, today's music isn't really music. It's just a load of excrement (no offense guys). My playlist generally consists of music from the '60s and '70s. Lots of blues in there, and a little rock thrown in for good measure. So Tool is quite new, not just to me, but to the whole rock scene. Just like how some of the other '90s bands are new

BTW, Tool makes me a very angry driver. I try and not listen to it because it would make me do things on the road that I otherwise wouldn't, and shouldn't.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 17:44   #723
Team-BHP Support

New Nightwish Album Imaginaerum to be released on Jan 10 in US.

Nightwish - The Official Website
Old 27th December 2011, 17:58   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Any Rush fans in the house? I know they're not strictly heavy metal but we're talking about Tool and the like, so may as well...

Do check out the Sam Dunn documentary "Beyond The Lighted Stage" for a very affectionate and utterly enthralling look at the band- it wil make you fall in love with the band again!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 18:06   #725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Any Rush fans in the house? I know they're not strictly heavy metal but we're talking about Tool and the like, so may as well...

Do check out the Sam Dunn documentary "Beyond The Lighted Stage" for a very affectionate and utterly enthralling look at the band- it wil make you fall in love with the band again!
Own their each and every album (in disk!). Production Quality is top notch starting from the first album. And yes the documentary is fantastic.

The Rush in Rio live DVD though is not all that great from a sound point of view.
My personal favorite: 2112. !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 18:15   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Oh when I said fairly new, I meant that relatively. I don't listen to today's music. In fact, today's music isn't really music. It's just a load of excrement (no offense guys). My playlist generally consists of music from the '60s and '70s. Lots of blues in there, and a little rock thrown in for good measure. So Tool is quite new, not just to me, but to the whole rock scene. Just like how some of the other '90s bands are new

BTW, Tool makes me a very angry driver. I try and not listen to it because it would make me do things on the road that I otherwise wouldn't, and shouldn't.
I heard schism way way back when it came out, and its video still haunts.....creepy crawlies.
Old 27th December 2011, 18:40   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Tool is pretty heavy Noop. Definitely belongs to the genre of Metal, albeit progressive and experimental.

And oh yes, a classic-rock playlist is incomplete without Rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I heard schism way way back when it came out, and its video still haunts.....creepy crawlies.
Tool does that to you. Their songs are well, scary, to put it bluntly.

And here is a quote for you Ampere:

Quote:
"I can detect more Tool influence in King Crimson, than I can hear King Crimson in Tool."
- Robert Fripp

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th December 2011 at 18:42.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 19:16   #728
Senior - BHPian

Anybody listened to TH1RT3EN by Megadeth? After few disappointing albums, and with Dave and David reunited, I had high hopes on this. And guess what? It is million times better than what I expected! I just can't stop listening to it again and again. Good thing, they've stopped experimenting and have gone back to what they are best at. Reminds me of their 'rusted' days. I'd recommend this to any thrash metal fan.

There is one song, I forgot the name, where a riff sounds like short bursts of bullets from a machine gun. I just love it!
Old 28th December 2011, 15:27   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
If they are going to play stuff from Heritage then it's not much of a worry, I mean it is good as far as prog rock goes but its way too different to their 90s music (which is what I enjoy the most)
Most of Opeth's recent set lists have been a good mix of old aand new stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My playlist generally consists of music from the '60s and '70s. Lots of blues in there, and a little rock thrown in for good measure.
You need to check out the following bands if you haven't done so already:

Blood ceremony

Coven

Zior

Devil's Blood

Ghost

Jex Thoth

Black Widow
Wolfheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 16:13   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Anybody listened to TH1RT3EN by Megadeth? After few disappointing albums, and with Dave and David reunited, I had high hopes on this. And guess what? It is million times better than what I expected! I just can't stop listening to it again and again. Good thing, they've stopped experimenting and have gone back to what they are best at. Reminds me of their 'rusted' days. I'd recommend this to any thrash metal fan.

There is one song, I forgot the name, where a riff sounds like short bursts of bullets from a machine gun. I just love it!
It was good to a point because I had so low expectations.

To be honest, its nothing but rehashed stuff (quite a few re-recorded/unreleased songs on the album). Pretty sure Dave did this to complete his commitment to the record label. The next album hopefully will be better.

Nowhere near Rust in Peace plus the over the top shredding by Broderick doesn't compare in anyway to the amazing playing of Friedman.

edit" the song you mean is Wrecker?

edit2: noopster I enjoy Rush quite a bit..especially their instrumental stuff and interludes

Last edited by Abhay : 28th December 2011 at 16:17.
Abhay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 09:47   #731
BHPian

Rest In Peace Amit Saigal, one of the great pioneers of Indian Rock and founder of Rock Street Journal :(
Old 16th January 2012, 23:29   #732
Team-BHP Support

Abhay,

Another Primal Fear Album released. : Unbreakable
But reviews say not all that great. I have not listened to it though.

METAL RULES
Old 17th January 2012, 12:13   #733
BHPian

^yeah I read it somewhere, haven't yet got a chance to check it out...
btw did I rec you a band called Arkham Witch? If not check it out as well as The Lamp of Thoth (both have afew of the same guys including a female drummer!).
Amazing old school riffage (that typical Gibson + Marshall crunch)...heavy yet melodic alongwith doom/occult lyrical themes.
Old 17th January 2012, 21:29   #734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^yeah I read it somewhere, haven't yet got a chance to check it out...
btw did I rec you a band called Arkham Witch? If not check it out as well as The Lamp of Thoth (both have afew of the same guys including a female drummer!).
Amazing old school riffage (that typical Gibson + Marshall crunch)...heavy yet melodic alongwith doom/occult lyrical themes.
Thanks will check it out.
Maiden releases another live Blue-ray/DVD. Don't know how many more they would keep rolling out.

Iron Maiden Official Website - Iron Maiden EN VIVO!
Old 17th January 2012, 21:40   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Maiden releases another live Blue-ray/DVD. Don't know how many more they would keep rolling out.

Iron Maiden Official Website - Iron Maiden EN VIVO!
Soon they will have one for each year they have been active.

BTW are any TBHpians going for Opeth on 5th Feb?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks