Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2011, 07:04   #691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
Anyone received their tickets booked through TicketGenie for the 'tallica concert?
I did.
For tickets booked after 5th october, they are only giving an e vocher that needs to be exchanged for an actual ticket at the venue.
They also sent out an email sometime back that if you dont get the ticket then just get the transaction details to the venue and collect your ticket there.
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:06   #692
Team-BHP Support

re: The Heavy Metal & Rock Thread

Good Reviews for new Iced Earth Album (Dystopia)
Surprisingly even after departure of Matt Barlow, Schaffer was able to get a new guy who fits very much like Barlow and Ripper.

METAL RULES
Old 5th November 2011, 18:50   #693
Team-BHP Support

Dystopia Official Video

Last edited by ampere : 5th November 2011 at 18:53.
Old 7th November 2011, 00:19   #694
BHPian

Stu Block's vocals are pretty good in the new album. I was a bit sceptical when I first saw his name as the new vocalist instead of Barlow, but he does a decent job. Overall album is fun and enjoyable to listen to but isn't exactly loaded with riffs. Still its Schaffer and his kick-*** right hand, so you can't go too wrong.

Been listening to Pagan Altar..an old band but newly recorded material
@amp, very much in the vein of early Priest, amazing melodic soloing with killer 70s/early 80s heavy metal vibe. check it out- album name is Mythical and Magical.
Abhay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 07:14   #695
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday's news article.
Led Zep on the Hindu Magazine

The Hindu : Arts / Music : Take the stairs to musical heaven
Old 19th November 2011, 15:46   #696
BHPian

Anthrax 'Worship Music'

Speaking of Thrash Metal's Big 4, I've always been a Slayer + Megadeth fan. Never really got into Anthrax. When I watched the Big 4 DVD, Anthrax surprised me. Their performance was so much fun. Even better than 'Mega Dave and his Musical chairs' and the mighty Slayer. So I decided to give their new album a spin ... and it was love at first riff!

'Worship Music' is a monster of an album. The production is tight, each song has a great vibe, Belladonna's sounding great and the best part are the riffs. This album is heavy with chugging thrashy riffs and just the right amount of melody sprinkled here and there. This is music that will make you bang your head from beginning to end with a huge grin on your face. I see this as being the soundtrack to forthcoming parties, pool games, road trips and adventures. Even though it's heavy it's a lot of fun to listen to and is more accessible. So regardless of whether you're a Thrash fan or not just get this album or you're missing out on one of the best metal albums of the year.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:51   #697
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of Led Zep, here is a cover by American progressive-metal band Tool.The song is called 'No Quarter' and is original by Led Zeppelin. I love both songs, and this is one of the few covers that do justice to the original song. But nothing like the original. Gives me shivers!

Old 1st December 2011, 20:42   #698
Team-BHP Support

Any takers for King Crimson?

Many proclaimed them as the ones who laid the foundation stone for
progressive music. the founding member Robert Fripp delves in all kinds of sounds.

They had artists from major bands coming in and going out.

- Bill Brufford (Yes Drummer) came in for some time,
- John Anderson (Yes Lead singer) came in for some time,
- Tony Levin (Floyd : Momentary Lapse of Reason, Stick/Bass, Peter Gabriel, Liquid Tension Experiment)
Old 1st December 2011, 21:00   #699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any takers for King Crimson?

Many proclaimed them as the ones who laid the foundation stone for
progressive music. the founding member Robert Fripp delves in all kinds of sounds.

They had artists from major bands coming in and going out.

- Bill Brufford (Yes Drummer) came in for some time,
- John Anderson (Yes Lead singer) came in for some time,
- Tony Levin (Floyd : Momentary Lapse of Reason, Stick/Bass, Peter Gabriel, Liquid Tension Experiment)
We meet again Ampere.

Robert Fripp is a legend. I'm a huge fan of King Crimson. They did indeed pioneer progressive rock music back in the '60s and '70s. In fact, Robert Fripp is known to have mentored Steven Wilson, who currently is Porcupine Tree's front man. Here is a song by Porcupine Tree that Robert was a part of:

My favourite song by King Crimson would be:

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2011 at 21:03.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 21:15   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We meet again Ampere.
Robert Fripp is a legend. I'm a huge fan of King Crimson. They did indeed pioneer progressive rock music back in the '60s and '70s. In fact, Robert Fripp is known to have mentored Steven Wilson, who currently is Porcupine Tree's front man. Here is a song by Porcupine Tree that Robert was a part of:

@suhaas,
A colleague of mine introduced to me the band 5-6 years back. The more I listened to
Fripp, the more I got enchanted by their music.

I was always a fan of Yes and Tony Levin. The instant I saw them in I jumped even more!
Lost count of which ones I like now!

In the court, Descipline, Thrak, Red, Three of a Perfect Pair, Lark, Power to Believe....! The List is endless.
Old 1st December 2011, 21:19   #701
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@suhaas,
A colleague of mine introduced to me the band 5-6 years back. The more I listened to
Fripp, the more I got enchanted by their music.

I was always a fan of Yes and Tony Levin. The instant I saw them in I jumped even more!
Lost count of which ones I like now!

In the court, Descipline, Thrak, Red, Three of a Perfect Pair, Lark, Power to Believe....! The List is endless.
If you like King Crimson, I'm sure you'll like the likes of Tool, Porcupine Tree and Radiohead. I suggest you tune to these bands. They are very different from the regular commercial rock that you get today.

Porcupine Tree's music is heavily influenced by Pink Floyd. It's very evident from their song writing and music. I love the way Porcupine Tree infuses effects into their music, much like Floyd, and I also love the way they meticulously play their instruments, that seem to come together so seamlessly as one song. Plenty of acoustic guitar, lots of nice catchy riffs, innovative solos and a heavy bass-line is what PT is all about. Oh, and not to mention some fabulous drumming too!

Tool, to me, is heavy. But I like it. It's different. A little depressing, but good nonetheless. I quite like Radiohead too, but some of their songs are a little monotonous, IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and listen to the first video I'd posted. It's fantastic. The song starts a little later, but you can hear him addressing the audience and even acknowledging Robert Fripp's involvement in their music.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2011 at 21:23.
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:17   #702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you like King Crimson, I'm sure you'll like the likes of Tool, Porcupine Tree and Radiohead. I suggest you tune to these bands. They are very different from the regular commercial rock that you get today.
The acoustic was very nice to listen. Thanks for sharing Suhaas.

Over the years I have come to realize that KC is the only band (which I know) that has changed it sound by such myriad ways.

Each new album is a new sound (and mostly with a new line-up as well!)

EDIT: The second one I think was Lark's Tongue in Aspic
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:27   #703
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The acoustic was very nice to listen. Thanks for sharing Suhaas.

Over the years I have come to realize that KC is the only band (which I know) that has changed it sound by such myriad ways.

Each new album is a new sound (and mostly with a new line-up as well!)

EDIT: The second one I think was Lark's Tongue in Aspic
Don't mention it, Sir.

And yes, Easy Money is from Lark's Tongue in Aspic.

I quite like KC's bootlegs too. Some good listens.
Old 13th December 2011, 23:48   #704
Team-BHP Support

I've been listening to a lot of Tool, off late. Some fantastic music, and metal worth head-banging and tripping to. Here is a track called 'Right In Two' from their album '10,000 days':

Love the 1m-25sec tabla solo (yes, that's right ) @ 4:00.

Tool is experimental progressive fusion/funk metal. Or whatever that means.

If anyone's interested in deviating from the mainstream metal music they listen to for a change, I highly recommend this band. They're absolutely brilliant, IMO.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th December 2011 at 23:53.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:38   #705
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday my car stereo played 'Highway Star' and 'Iron Man' back to back from the USB drive and I observed that both songs have similar sounding interlude. Has anyone else observed that?

I found it odd, considering that Deep Purple and Black Sabbath had a lot of bad blood between them during that era.

Most Viewed