Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 19:35   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

For guys owning labs, i came across this interesting forum...

Just Labradors - Labrador Retriever Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Old 11th June 2009, 12:35   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, so i'm finally getting a lab pup. I've started a thread on tips for a newbie dog owner. Please post your comments.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...dog-owner.html
Old 12th June 2009, 00:47   #618
Senior - BHPian

ok i got a bit of a problem here people.
My saint bernard has become very aggressive to strangers on the road.Its prob due to the kids and other passerby's staring at him and teasing him when i put him on a leash.
Now the teasing has kinda reduced drastically as its almost 2 years since ive got him and the locals are not amused by him that much now
any solutions as its not easy holding of a 70+kg dog when he is aggressive towards another person while taking him for walks ,Due to this i take him very early when people are less (exactly around 5 am!!!!!).The choke collar does not work(his neck is too big) any other solutions.
suggestions welcome.

-Vinay
Old 12th June 2009, 00:55   #619
BHPian

have a bottle filled partially with stones and rattle the bottle every time it pulls the chain . dogs don't like this sound and will realize the sound comes when its doing something . don't give up after 2-3 goes . stick to it for a full day and when it does as you please , reward the dog .
Old 12th June 2009, 09:37   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
ok i got a bit of a problem here people.
My saint bernard has become very aggressive to strangers on the road.Its prob due to the kids and other passerby's staring at him and teasing him when i put him on a leash.
Now the teasing has kinda reduced drastically as its almost 2 years since ive got him and the locals are not amused by him that much now
any solutions as its not easy holding of a 70+kg dog when he is aggressive towards another person while taking him for walks ,Due to this i take him very early when people are less (exactly around 5 am!!!!!).The choke collar does not work(his neck is too big) any other solutions.
suggestions welcome.

-Vinay
Saint Bernards are usually very saintly, and its clear that the people around are to blame.
I suggest you carry a big stick with you. Every time such a thing happens, liberally use the stick. Not on the dog. But on the passers buy who tease him. This will let him know that you care for him, and the passers by will also know not to mess.
If they still insist, I suggest you do not injure your shoulder and let go off the leash.
I hate people who tease animals, and as the owner its your duty to ensure his peace of mind
Old 12th June 2009, 11:11   #621
Senior - BHPian

its not always teasing.. now the condition has worsened. Yes i agree he is a big dog and very different. People just stand and stare at him.Most dogs take staring as a sign of aggression and get provoked.Well most of people avoid coming in the way when im taking him for a walk but there are some exceptions.Well 1 positive thing i gained from this experience is that i have automatically started waking up(with a little help from my n82 also) at 5 am!!! which i have never been able to do.
I take him for a walk also around 11 pm.
I can handle him and his pulling w/o much problem(im pretty much a heavy weight ) its my brother im worried about. He is lighter than the dog!!!
Old 12th June 2009, 11:17   #622
Senior - BHPian

This is my house pet "NAUGHTY"

And his name just suites his character perfectly..A very sharp & active dog !! And his name is more popular than my name in our locality

Here is a pic of him about 1.5 year old , LAB mix is the breed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-nauhty.jpg  

Old 12th June 2009, 11:25   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Lol, JK. What happened ? What is he up to ?

How do you handle him when he does these things ?
We scold him if he runs outside the house or so. He gets upset and retreats to his kennel or some other place. He wont come out of the kennel when this happens. Well, we then call him out to play and this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well this is our new entrant and we have named him Simba. My lil cousin was fond of this name so gave her a chance:-)
Attachment 144050
Wow, you still have him inside your house? Careful. Watch for furniture/dress etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
its not always teasing.. now the condition has worsened. Yes i agree he is a big dog and very different. People just stand and stare at him.Most dogs take staring as a sign of aggression and get provoked.Well most of people avoid coming in the way when im taking him for a walk but there are some exceptions.Well 1 positive thing i gained from this experience is that i have automatically started waking up(with a little help from my n82 also) at 5 am!!! which i have never been able to do.
I take him for a walk also around 11 pm.
I can handle him and his pulling w/o much problem(im pretty much a heavy weight ) its my brother im worried about. He is lighter than the dog!!!
Most dog on leash gets aggressive when kept for long duration, I rarely keep mine in. And I sometimes let him ease out his angry at other animals by letting him go when people are not there. Some of my neighbours know his name (kids mostly, his fans !) and one can hear they calling him out as they pass by our house !.

Ask your bro to have fun !
Old 12th June 2009, 11:47   #624
BHPian

Wow i am so glad I found such a thread on tbhp. Really amazing to see everyone's pets.
Back home in pune we have 3 lovely members of our family

1) Micky - he is a black Spitz (mixed breed with pom). very ferocious and very possessive of the house. His name come from a pomerian called Goofy we had adopted for a few years as the owner had gone abroad. So we had micky the pup then and goofy. As a pup micky would hold goofy's chain and take him out for walks Micky is now 12+ yrs old

2) Chuchu - our parrot, whom we got as a really small baby. He never really learned to fly that much and walks around the house a lot, jumping on micky and whatever he sees in his sight. Best thing is chuchu can talk a lot, he knows the names of all the people (including all the pets) in the house, he calls micky ganda bacha (dirty kid) when micky does something wrong , he can say hare rama hare krishna, and laugh hysterically when something funny happens in the house. Chuchu is also 12+ yrs old.

3) Puchu - our parrot who flew in one day being chased by crow or something. And then never left us. Initially he was put with chuchu in the same cage, but they never got along, so we gave puchu his own huge cage. he seldom comes out of the cage and likes to stay indoors.he is very clean and bathes everyday on his own , unlike chuchu. I guess puchu being an ex-wild bird learnt the ways of nature (bathing, etc) as compared to chuchu! Puchu also has the talent of whistling and he normally whistles out the word that chuchu says. On occassion when no one is watching he talks just like chuchu and repeats/competes with chuchu word to word. Puchu's age is unknown.

Here are some Photos

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_00542.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-picture43.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo_072007_003.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo_072707_004.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-photo_082907_002.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-micky.jpg

Name:  chuchu.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  77.2 KB

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p260408_15.37.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p260408_16.14.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p290408_09.4901.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p290408_11.14.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p290408_11.1501.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p290408_11.15_1.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_013.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_018.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_035.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_050.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_153.jpg

Team-BHPians and their Pets-image_155.jpg

Last edited by jassi : 12th June 2009 at 11:50.
Old 12th June 2009, 12:42   #625
Senior - BHPian

nice to see the parrots out of the cages but those cages look way to cruel for them dude :(
Old 12th June 2009, 13:10   #626
Senior - BHPian

little off topic..

I want to gift a parrot set to my parents on their next aniversary ..

Where can i find , i need birds which don't fly off and they stay like a family ! I HATE CAGES !!

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 12th June 2009 at 13:12.
Old 12th June 2009, 13:34   #627
Team-BHP Support

Snoopy.. Our rat exterminator

Team-BHPians and their Pets-277197730_jyubml.jpg

A few days back, a rat got into the house(back home in Ldh).
Repeated attempts failed to dislodge it from the room.
what to do?
Well we got out the secret weapon snoopy.
Put her in the bedroom, and closed the door, which is glass.
As usual first she chased the rat, the rat ran under furniture.
Snoopy sat there waiting.
Seconds passed. Seconds became minutes, and then 30 minutes.
The rat lost patience, and ran out, and with one swipe of the paw it was down.
Whack whack whack, few strikes and the rat is dead.
Snoopy sat there watching the dead rat, and looked towards the door as if saying "take it now".
So we went in, got the rat, and threw it out.
This is not the first time. Every time there have been these pesky rodents, snoopy has killed them. She is an expert, and hates rates right from her days as a pup.

Needless to say that, rat chewing car wires etc., like problems do not exist there
Old 12th June 2009, 15:36   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
nice to see the parrots out of the cages but those cages look way to cruel for them dude :(
Oh there is a big story around the cage!!
well mostly chuchu is outside the cage - he only goes inside when he has done enough mess outside
puchu on the other hand, never wants to come out because of the trauma he faced earlier in life.
And no matter how many times we clean the cages, they dirty them in 5 minutes max. Chuchu especially will tear the newspaper bed laid out in his cage in the daytime, suprisingly he will not disturb the newspaper at night as he likes to sleep in a clean cage.
We tried moving them to bigger cages, but both of them were pretty sad and wanted to get back to these as they are so used to these, given that the size of these slightly smaller cages allow them to be hung near the door and view the garden/people and they can be hung next to each other. With the bigger cages, they have to be placed on a chair and so the cages don't swing - also they cannot be kept near the main door or right next to each other and so they both get bored. When we moved em back to their old cages they were happy and all chirpy again, chuchu even started saying his line of words again and puchu started whistling again

@chiragh_bir - you can get parrots from a pet shop (we got chuchu for 40rs !!) - however if you take a grown up parrot then the wings have been cut so that they don't fly - i think that is cruelty. Instead get a small baby parrot, which has all of its wings, but adjusts to live with you and just hop flies around the house. As the baby parrot associates you as its mother, it never wants to fly out the house!!

Last edited by jassi : 12th June 2009 at 15:41.
Old 12th June 2009, 23:35   #629
Senior - BHPian

@jkdas simba is not let inside th house as this has been the norm with all our pets. The max they get is to the sit out.

One incident which i remember is we had this alsation couple whom we called tony and jerry. My brother used to go to school from home and on a daily basis played with them from 5pm onwards.
Once bro was down with fever and didnt go out to play. The dogs got restless and bore it for a day. Th enext day Jerry sneaks in slowly while mum was in the garden and searched for my bro and found him in the bedroom sleepin. So jerry sat at the head of the bed watching my brother as he slept not disturbing him as she knew he was sick.
Amazing
Old 12th June 2009, 23:58   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If they still insist, I suggest you do not injure your shoulder and let go off the leash.
If I was in the neighborhood, I would have a problem with that. I don't care much about pets, I mind my own business. But I think it's the dog owner's responsibility to keep him away from other unwilling humans.

Letting the leash off on strangers is a serious offense, isn't it

I have family members who are phobic of canines, and their reaction sometimes encourages the dogs to get aggressive. I don't care how cute the dog is or how harmless it is. It's a matter of my (or my family members') personal freedom to stay away from him. I know probably you made that statement in jest. But you would be surprised to know how many dog owners use them as animal power in public and give the same excuse as 'harmless', 'cute' etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks