Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 15:12   #706
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is terribly sad when they suffer renal failure. Despite being very painful for us emotionally, we must summon the strength to put them out of their misery because renal failure is incurable at the moment. There is only one drug available for it and it is only available in the US basis Vet's prescription. It is called AZODYL, manufactured by Kibow pharmaceuticals in New Jersey.
I had some of this flown down some time ago when my dog had the same problem but the boxes arrived a bit too late. If her kids are in the US do try and get this because the poor dog will at least be eased a little. It comes in boxes of 60 tablets each.

In ref the new puppy, do check at CUPA Bangalore - they have some lovely abandoned dogs looking for good homes. Poor things. And Spitfire my man - you can probably transport the pup/ young dog in your jeep to Goa. That'll be fun. (Seriously speaking Ive enjoyed taking the dogs out in the Jeep and moving from my earlier location in Pondy/Madras to Bangalore with them in the Jeep.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
My close friend's female lab is in her final days. His mother is very attached to the pet and since all the the children are out of the country, my friend requested me to try and find a pup for them.

A lab is preferrable and a female would be just as good. If anyone know someone who has one for adoption or sale do pm me.

It would be Goa bound in a nice bunglow and well cared after.

Don't want to approach kennels, as this is for a friend and would consider a very reliable source.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:35   #707
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is terribly sad when they suffer renal failure.
Yes, we lost a female lab to the same problem.

Quote:
Despite being very painful for us emotionally
We are very stressed out right now. The lady is in her late 70's and is very attached to her pet. Her husband can't even think of putting the pet down as he is worried his wife may suffer too.

The only way we thought we could try and create a situation where we would feel safe is to have another pet of the same kind for sometime before we put the present pet down. Sometime would probably be a month and till then hope that she gets along with the newer pet and she isn't as affected by the loss of her dear pet.

Difficult, very difficult presently. I have been travelling home only to try and see how we can overcome this period.

Quote:
There is only one drug available for it and it is only available in the US basis Vet's prescription. It is called AZODYL, manufactured by Kibow pharmaceuticals in New Jersey.
I did hear about this and i think its a bit difficult to get even in US. Anyways I have let her son know who is in CA.

Quote:
In ref the new puppy, do check at CUPA Bangalore - they have some lovely abandoned dogs looking for good homes.
I sure will make it there this weekend.

Quote:
And Spitfire my man - you can probably transport the pup/ young dog in your jeep to Goa.
Oh it won't be any other way. Its huge amount of fun. This one time i drove from Mumbai to Goa with our lab - alone. I was the driver and she was chaffeured in comfort. I have ferried a lot of them in the Classic too but on short distances
Old 12th November 2009, 15:49   #708
BANNED

Appreciate this sentiment but do think also about the pet's suffering silently without being able to do anything or saying anything. We humans love our pets, granted, but we are also terribly selfish when it comes to putting them down out of their pain and misery because we more concerned with our own emotions - this is just a statement - no reflection on the elderly lady at all.

Ref Azodyl - you need to first get the India Vet to give a prescription and try and use that to get the medicine there. Thats what I did -and they were kind enough to accept my vet's prescription since I had mailed them in advance about the desperate importance of the drug for my dog.

you can maybe write to them - KPATERSON@1800petmeds.com - try this because my transaction was about 2 years ago and I dont know now whether this particular email will work. But PetMeds is a good bet in the US.

all the best
Quote:
The only way we thought we could try and create a situation where we would feel safe is to have another pet of the same kind for sometime before we put the present pet down. Sometime would probably be a month and till then hope that she gets along with the newer pet and she isn't as affected by the loss of her dear pet.

Difficult, very difficult presently. I have been travelling home only to try and see how we can overcome this period.

I did hear about this and i think its a bit difficult to get even in US. Anyways I have let her son know who is in CA.

I sure will make it there this weekend.

Oh it won't be any other way. Its huge amount of fun. This one time i drove from Mumbai to Goa with our lab - alone. I was the driver and she was chaffeured in comfort. I have ferried a lot of them in the Classic too but on short distances
Old 12th November 2009, 16:10   #709
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Appreciate this sentiment but do think also about the pet's suffering silently without being able to do anything or saying anything.
I know. And believe me its a horrid time. We have been reasoning with her to let her pet go for the last 2 weeks. But then she breaks down grabs her pet and pleads with us to try and save her.

We can only go to a corner and shed some tears ourselves.

Yeah we are being selfish, but then we dont know what to do. :(

Quote:
Ref Azodyl
Azodyl is available now as a non-prescription drug. He will try and send some bottles asap. It needs to be refrigerated though. We are expecting it to reach us by late friday their time or saturday our time. Just hope the count comes down after this.

Thanks Shankar for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th November 2009 at 16:12.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:24   #710
BHPian

Dear TBHPians,

I have a six-month old, black Labrador Retriever called Duke. He is very active and is growing perfectly for his age. However, since Nov-1, we (My wife & I) moved into to my parents place.

In the new environment, Duke's schedules remain the same - walking, playing and food at regular times. However, now my wife is also working and Duke is at home with my parents while we are away at work. His behavior has changed for the worse:

(1) He has become a lot more naughty. He has stopped obeying commands and only does when "bribed" with a toy or when he is told loudly. Additionally, he tends to nip at my parents' and guests' limbs and tries to tear their clothing by pulling at it. I believe this is because his "pack leaders" - i.e. my wife and I, are not there with him for the major part of the day. I believe he thinks he is now the pack leader. Additionally, my parents are not aware of how to deal with dogs, especially in the area of obedience. How do I get my obedient dog back?

(2) Toilet Training Though Duke had learnt to do his thing only in the designated spot, he has gone back to his puppy days in the new place. Additionally, he has developed a bad habit of passing urine, splashing it around and sitting on it! This makes him very dirty in a matter of days. I have resorted to bathing him at least once in three days to maintain his hygiene. I have tried toilet training him in the new place by placing the urine-soaked cloth near the bathroom. He simply grabs the urine-soaked cloth in his mouth and heads to tearing it apart! Even tried dragging him to the bathroom when I see him sniffing the floor, but he simply does not do it in the bathroom! How do I toilet train my dog in the new place?

(3) Hair loss Duke has lost a patch of hair (size of a 25 paise coin) on his left-rear leg, just below the thigh. When we took him to the vet, the diagnosis was insufficient hygiene which caused a fungal infection. The cure was a anti-fungal lotion and bathing him every 2-3 days. Also, his hair is thinning around the forehead area and in the underbelly area. He has no ticks or worms. How do I ensure regrowth of hair in the patch and prevent more hair loss?

We were suggested harsh punishments and beating as solutions to correct his behavior by other dog owners in our area. However, we want to avoid any kind of negative feedback with Duke. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 12th November 2009, 16:30   #711
BANNED

good that it is available as a non prescription drug - 2 years later so I guess it had to happen. Yes Im sorry I forgot it has to come refrgierated or else it starts degenerating.
and once it reaches it must be kept in the chill tray of the fridge.(at least in Bangalore)
creatinine count should drop - 2- 3 tablets a day is the recommended dose for larger dogs.
hope it works. I gave away the half dozen boxes of Azodyl that I got at that time to other dog owners whose pets were suffering with the same problem. Trouble is if the renal failure has reached chronic stage then it is not much help. and one can only detect renal failure in dogs when almost 80% of their kidney functions have packed up - this is what my vet told me. High protein diet is to be avoided in cases of this kind as the kidneys can no longer break the protein down.
try giving the poor dog Curds and rice - the curds contains some of the same kind of probiotics that Azodyl contains.
all the best - but please do not keep the dog suffering for much longer - that would indeed be very upsetting for everyone including me though I dont know the dog personally. I just feel horrible when animals go through suffering.

Quote:
Azodyl is available now as a non-prescription drug. He will try and send some bottles asap. It needs to be refrigerated though. We are expecting it to reach us by late friday their time or saturday our time. Just hope the count comes down after this.

Thanks Shankar for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th November 2009 at 16:40.
Old 12th November 2009, 16:39   #712
BANNED

some suggestions below for you to read and use if you think fit:

Toilet Training -take him out oftener than otherwise and let him do his business outside. he will get the idea soon enough! Dont hit him - it will make things worse and it is un-necessary - dogs are extremely quick on the uptake so he will learn. since you are busy try and engage a decent dog walker to take him out in your absence. may cost some money but the dog will be happier I can guarantee. a decent vet in the area will be able to suggest a dog walker who is trustworthy. last thing you want is someone hitting or harming the poor doggy.

(3) Hair loss- please check with a competent vet whether he has Mange - there are two types of mange - one is very dangerous to the dog. or he could have an attack of mites in his skin - they will need to do a skin smear test using a microscope.
Try and use gentle shampoo like Himalaya ERINA EP - that usually helps dogs with mites and other skin troubles. It is a completely natural product so safe for the dog. But you must check for some kind of mange to rule it out if nothing else.

Cheers!
DueLLeR[/quote]
Old 12th November 2009, 22:15   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for your note.

I think i know who you are talking about. Is it Gracie and GAWT? We know each other quite well. I had volunteered for them and Green Goa before.
No. It is a lady who goes by the name of Birds on Indiamike.com.

However, it sounds like you don't need any more introductions for doggie re-homing. Very sad situation with the renal-failure dog. I am very glad that I have never had that awful decision to make. Came close once, with an elderly cat, but she made up her own mind to depart.
Old 12th November 2009, 22:59   #714
BHPian

[quote=DueLLeR;1579152] Hair loss Duke has lost a patch of hair (size of a 25 paise coin) on his left-rear leg, just below the thigh. When we took him to the vet, the diagnosis was insufficient hygiene which caused a fungal infection. The cure was a anti-fungal lotion and bathing him every 2-3 days. Also, his hair is thinning around the forehead area and in the underbelly area. He has no ticks or worms. How do I ensure regrowth of hair in the patch and prevent more hair loss?
Please confirm if there is excessive hair loss other than the what you have mentioned above. Also confirm if there is pinkishness on many parts of his body. Sometimes the pinkishness can be accompanied by blackish red spots also.If the above symptoms are found in him. Let me know. I have the solution for the problem.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:56   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Just came across this beautiful thread. Good to know that there are people who really care about pets.
I am posting the pictures of my Rottweiler(German Import), she is now 7 months old. I never knew that rotties were so expensive to buy and to maintain . But she is a beautiful pup, worth every penny.
Hi Jacksparrow,

Rottweilers are one of the toughest breed, they need extensive care
Your Rott seems to be very thin for 7 months, it needs lot of calcium and vitamins i guess, also give him egg twice a day. 2-7 months is the growing time for dogs.
They are very strong muscular dogs
Check my Rott when it was 4.5 months, now he is no more -
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_2036.jpg  

Old 13th November 2009, 03:21   #716
BHPian

Hi Bhargava,
Really sorry to know about your loss. It hurts when you lose a pet.
By the way, the pictures were taken couple of months ago. I don't have recent pictures as I live in the US. Will ask my parents to forward me the latest pictures and will post them here.
As far as the diet goes, 2 eggs per day(u were right) along with chicken. Regular dose of calcium and vitamins are given as advised by the veterinarian.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:33   #717
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post

(1) He has become a lot more naughty. He has stopped obeying commands and only does when "bribed" with a toy or when he is told loudly. Additionally, he tends to nip at my parents' and guests' limbs and tries to tear their clothing by pulling at it. I believe this is because his "pack leaders" - i.e. my wife and I, are not there with him for the major part of the day. I believe he thinks he is now the pack leader. Additionally, my parents are not aware of how to deal with dogs, especially in the area of obedience. How do I get my obedient dog back?
Training him or spending more time with him should do the trick. Dogs are hyperactive till about 3-4Yrs of age. At Six months, ur pet must be having teething problems therefore the nipping and all. A chew toy should help. Infact a lot of exercise will also help.

Quote:

(2) Toilet Training How do I toilet train my dog in the new place?
Time and practice, whenever he wants to ease himself u need to take him out or to a designated spot. Make sure your voice is FIRM all the time.

Quote:

(3) Hair loss Duke has lost a patch of hair (size of a 25 paise coin) on his left-rear leg, just below the thigh. When we took him to the vet, the diagnosis was insufficient hygiene which caused a fungal infection. The cure was a anti-fungal lotion and bathing him every 2-3 days. Also, his hair is thinning around the forehead area and in the underbelly area. He has no ticks or worms. How do I ensure regrowth of hair in the patch and prevent more hair loss?
Hair loss due to fungal infection is common in monsoons, Does he have red spots too? A anti fungal bath with massage should help.

Quote:

We were suggested harsh punishments and beating as solutions to correct his behavior by other dog owners in our area. However, we want to avoid any kind of negative feedback with Duke. Thanks in advance for your responses!
Yes, avoid any or all types of harsh treatments. Dogs are a bundle of love and energy, they will understand and respond much more when treated with love.

Enjoy your pet and take lots of photos, this is the best time
Old 13th November 2009, 10:59   #718
BHPian

My Lab Lucky And Striker

i really missed this post, but lucky to find the Post to share pictures of my pets Lucky and Striker

The Elder one is (Lucky) its 1.8 months(pictures are old), bit overweight but very strong, which has dragged almost all every one no one will be handle it, it has visited all the places with me in my swift, loves to travel.

the younger one is Striker(Black) which has been given to my friend, both were brought to home when they were 22 days old.

it was difficult to maintain both of them in apartment.

My Sweet Lucky is very friendly...
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02945.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc02946.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lucky-1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lucky-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lucky-3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-lucky-4.jpg  

SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 11:37   #719
BHPian

Cocker spaniel Muffin

Sharing with you guys some snaps of our sweetheart MUFFIN right from his childhood days. He will turn 2 years this Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-6.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-2.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-3.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-4.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-5.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-7.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-8.jpg  

Attached Images

hvishwanathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 11:48   #720
BHPian