Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 18:11   #676
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is true. also when there's a puppy or a dog already in the house, they feel quite neglected when suddenly a child appears in their midst and all the attention is lavished on the child. it is a sort of sibling rivalry which can be seen if someone has an older kid and then suddenly has another baby.

However no dog or other pet will actively harm the child or get upset. as you said, they tend to think the child is another puppy or baby animal and thus try to play as much as possible.

Invariably, being idiot humans, most people do not permit the small baby to play with and grow along with the dog/ pup.

In my case, like yours, my folks always had a number of dogs in the house when we were born and when we were kids. One Alsatian used to have his specific place right under my cradle / cot when I was a kid and didnt used to let anyone in except my mum and my ayah. He used to even growl at my dad when he came.

In effect, he was defending a defenceless child of the house - no other animal/ 4 legged friend can give anyone this level of unconditional loyalty and love.

Any pet/ dog has to be cherished as part of the family. And I would suggest that if anyone is thinking of getting a pet, then they must definitely be prepared for this level of committment.

Otherwise, its simply not fair on the poor pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh... memories of my arm when my parents had a golden retriever puppy. It was always full of toothmarks.

The dog never drew blood, it wasn't dangerous, but it was playing rough, and it did hurt. A puppy will often identify with the small child in the family as being like another puppy. Both child and parents need to be able to handle this.
Old 20th August 2009, 04:08   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Invariably, being idiot humans, most people do not permit the small baby to play with and grow along with the dog/ pup.
And, if I might add, humans, in their efforts to keep the small kid away from the dog, will somehow succeed in instilling a fear of the dog in their kids, which very honestly, just makes matters worse.

Quote:
In my case, like yours, my folks always had a number of dogs in the house when we were born and when we were kids. One Alsatian used to have his specific place right under my cradle / cot when I was a kid and didnt used to let anyone in except my mum and my ayah. He used to even growl at my dad when he came.
Haha,
it is the same with our dog. No one is allowed near my room when I am not here. Similarly, the minute I come back, no one can meet me either, unless our dog has cleared him. At times, I feel guilty for not being able to show him the same love and affection he shows me. No matter how much I try, it just isn't enough!
IMO, dogs are much more perceptive than humans. There was a time I was feeling low, and our dog stayed with me the whole night, on the bed, literally comforting me. Even today, if I am angry, he comes and puts his paw on my knee and tries to cheer me up.
The amount of loyalty and affection a dog shows towards its master/sibling etc., cannot be compared with humans.
In a lighter tone: When was the last time your wife/girl etc. came running to the door and jumped on you and licked/kissed your whole face just because you were at work for 9-10 hours?

BTW,
One more query. Our 2 year old German Shepard gets lonely at times, since I am away studying for the better part of the year (I relate to the whole sibling bit and I consider him as a brother). We were thinking of getting another pup at home, like say a golden retriever or the likes, and I was wondering how to get our GS to become friendly with the new pup.
The time frame for getting the new pup is one year, and we are looking at either adopting a pup from a kennel, or buying one. Breed isn't an issue but the main thing is how should we get them to be friends and play with each other.

Thanks!

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th August 2009 at 04:19.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:09   #678
OEM
BHPian

Need a stud labrador for my girl

Wanted male stud labrador for my bitch. Qualification no bar. Colour no bar. Wealth no bar. Age no bar (senior citizens pls excuse). Should only be certified. I live in Mahalingapuram, Chennai. So Chennai suitors preferred. For photo check my post earlier. Call me on 9840926523
Old 20th August 2009, 17:41   #679
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

wonderful to see this!
my sentiments exactly - all my dogs all my life when in my parents place I have always considered my brothers. Indeed my mum used to refer to them the same way as her sons/ daughters.

and now my wife and I have 2 daughters and 1 son - in our three pets - 1 male alsatian, 1 female alsatian who we adopted from one of our friends who couldnt look after her enough and 1 female labrador who I adopted from CUPA because the evil earlier owner put her out on the street at the age of 4 months. And we've had quite a number of grandkids too -all of whom thankfully are in good secure and happy homes.

it is usually humans (parents) who make the mistake of transferring their idiot fears to children - children are neutral and no grown up animal (pet)usually actively harms baby animals from other species.

You will not have any problems if you introduce a puppy into your 2 year old Alsatian's scheme of things - he will be glad of the company believe me and the little chap will automatically learn to respect the older chap - he will indeed get his necessary housetraining etc from the older dog - they follow the pack leader always.

and I agree totally that we are not able to give them the same time, love and affection that they give us - that's my main regret too since I spend 10 hours at work each day and have only a few hours with the pets at home.
And the saddest thing is that they are with us only 10-12-14 years of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
And, if I might add, humans, in their efforts to keep the small kid away from the dog, will somehow succeed in instilling a fear of the dog in their kids, which very honestly, just makes matters worse.

Haha,
it is the same with our dog. No one is allowed near my room when I am not here. Similarly, the minute I come back, no one can meet me either, unless our dog has cleared him. At times, I feel guilty for not being able to show him the same love and affection he shows me. No matter how much I try, it just isn't enough!
IMO, dogs are much more perceptive than humans. There was a time I was feeling low, and our dog stayed with me the whole night, on the bed, literally comforting me. Even today, if I am angry, he comes and puts his paw on my knee and tries to cheer me up.
The amount of loyalty and affection a dog shows towards its master/sibling etc., cannot be compared with humans.
In a lighter tone: When was the last time your wife/girl etc. came running to the door and jumped on you and licked/kissed your whole face just because you were at work for 9-10 hours?

BTW,
One more query. Our 2 year old German Shepard gets lonely at times, since I am away studying for the better part of the year (I relate to the whole sibling bit and I consider him as a brother). We were thinking of getting another pup at home, like say a golden retriever or the likes, and I was wondering how to get our GS to become friendly with the new pup.
The time frame for getting the new pup is one year, and we are looking at either adopting a pup from a kennel, or buying one. Breed isn't an issue but the main thing is how should we get them to be friends and play with each other.

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2009, 14:57   #680
Senior - BHPian

Guys a 1 year old memeber joined our family, she's got a wet nose and has the most beautiful eyes. Her name is Casper she is a albino boxer, Pics and the story of her rescue to follow shortly.

Pramod
Old 15th September 2009, 15:18   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Anyone knows how difficult it is to pet a tortoise (one that lives on land not in water) ?
One of my friend's daughter is crazy about tortoises and they are thinking of getting one.
Any website about petting a tortoise? rules regulations etc?
Also any shop recommended in Pune or Mumbai for the same?

It is illegal to keep Turtles & tortoises as pets as they come under Endangered species in India.

Can keep but is it worth the risk?

PS: Land ones also need to be in water for sometime & should not be left with fishes as tortoise can tend eat fishes.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:37   #682
BHPian

I always wanted a dog during my childhood but my mother would not allow it. Earlier this year after prolonged 'discussions' with my wife (who is (or was) extremely afraid of dogs) we went and bought a month old fawn coloured male Labrador puppy.

For a couple of months we tried hard and loved every moment of having him in our home but then it became obvious that staying alone for quite some time each day was not working out. Our plans to have someone from our family stay at home did not materialize either. So a friend of mine came to the rescue and he is now a much happier 6 month old Lab (pup? he is growing bigger each day!) being pampered by her all day.

We were really sad to let him go but obviously anybody who loves dogs (or any animal) would understand our decision to find him a home where he is not alone and gets all the affection he deserves. :-)

I do go and see him often and my wife is now a total convert and we definitely plan to get another dog in the future when the time/circumstances are suitable.
Old 15th September 2009, 18:09   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

I always wanted a cat, and, despite having dogs, birds, rabbits, mice etc etc etc, my parents wouldn't let me have one. Since leaving home, there have not been many catless years for me. I would prefer not to have any even now, because of the responsibility and travel problems etc, but even here in India the cats recognise me as a sucker, and I have two.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:49   #684
Senior - BHPian

Meet Casper.

She is 10 months old and extreamly friendly.

Team-BHPians and their Pets-160909_2044.jpg
Name:  160909_2045.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  77.1 KB
Team-BHPians and their Pets-160909_2046.jpg

Pramod
Old 14th October 2009, 12:41   #685
Senior - BHPian

Guys its Diwali time and dogs go crazy with all the cracker noises around. I too have a dog that goes ultra crazy during this time.

Any of you have any suggestions how to sedate a dog during Diwali. Any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 16:17   #686
Senior - BHPian

Well, mine used to dive right into the nearest open cupboard or into a box-bed, if the door was left slightly ajar. Inside his bunker, he would be lot more at peace. Try finding your doggie such a place. Not he will be in bliss there, but should definitely be in a better state. I wouldn't go in for any chemical sedatives.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:55   #687
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Always be with the pets, keep talking to them and interacting. Diwali is a bad time for pets but it can be made easier...
Old 15th October 2009, 02:02   #688
Senior - BHPian

My Labrador is weak!! He eats mud and how much ever you push him away from him or frown on him he doesnt listen! Tried even a tape worm dose. What do i do??
Old 15th October 2009, 03:07   #689
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
My Labrador is weak!! He eats mud and how much ever you push him away from him or frown on him he doesnt listen! Tried even a tape worm dose. What do i do??
Labs are generally very food motivated. My lab used to eat hibiscus (Dasvala) flowers from our garden. We sprayed lemon juice on it and he did stop. What do you normally feed him?
Old 15th October 2009, 03:29   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
When there is lack of calcium they normally eat mud, just speak to your Vet and get the calcium Syrup or tablet and feed him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks