Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 17:05   #1471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
ok Beware. Pugs fart like humans checkout Youtube for demo.
The Golden Retriever my parents had in my childhood could clear a room.

The funniest thing was she never got used to her own farts. There would be this funny noise like a squeaky balloon, and she would jump up and stare in amazement at her own backside!
Old 20th August 2010, 19:47   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
ok Beware. Pugs fart like humans checkout Youtube for demo.
Still anything for the four legged angels.They will always be my best friends.I trust 4 legged animals more than the 2 legged ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There would be this funny noise like a squeaky balloon, and she would jump up and stare in amazement at her own backside!
.I just cannot stop laughing.Its cute at the same time being funny.
Old 21st August 2010, 00:09   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The Golden Retriever my parents had in my childhood could clear a room.

The funniest thing was she never got used to her own farts. There would be this funny noise like a squeaky balloon, and she would jump up and stare in amazement at her own backside!
I've seen that one of my dogs. The guy's sitting and admiring the paint on the walls, the TV, or anything else in the room and then we hear the ' pruuuuuuiiiikkeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'.
Its a soft sound, and lil squeaky. And does the joker have a startled look or what??
Being a mix between a Lab & a Daschund, he's long and has a low profile. He's wind his head as far as possible and try to figure out the funny business from the rear end!
quite a sight to see, when you've got furry animals around!
Old 21st August 2010, 12:06   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Being a mix between a Lab & a Daschund, he's long and has a low profile. He's wind his head as far as possible and try to figure out the funny business from the rear end!
quite a sight to see, when you've got furry animals around!
How do you get a lab and a daschund to breed??

My Indian desi dog also decides he needs to sleep like a human being, with his head on the pillow next to where we're asleep.....and then lets loose silent and toxic farts ...after making sure that he's positioned himself in his sleep such that his rear end is directly facing our heads.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:05   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!
That last sentence is what I call Information overload.

On the other hand the photos seem to be drying up, come on guys do post the latest snaps and let the pics too do some talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
How do you get a lab and a daschund to breed??

My Indian desi dog also decides he needs to sleep like a human being, with his head on the pillow next to where we're asleep.....and then lets loose silent and toxic farts ...after making sure that he's positioned himself in his sleep such that his rear end is directly facing our heads.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:54   #1476
BHPian

What are you watching?

Ohh they are named Toto & Chilli (Left to Right)

RES turtles. These pics are 2 years old, and they are quite big now. Will post latest pics once I get time to click them.
Old 21st August 2010, 19:36   #1477
BHPian

That makes me remember, my cousins had 2 turtles. Sadly, one of them was flicked by someone from the tank which was kept quite close to the door.
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:32   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
What are you watching?

Ohh they are named Toto & Chilli (Left to Right)

RES turtles. These pics are 2 years old, and they are quite big now. Will post latest pics once I get time to click them.
Those turts are super cute. I might flick those if I had half the chance. Would love to see the latest pics. Which variety are they? And how much do the grow upto?
Old 22nd August 2010, 04:00   #1479
BHPian

They are Red Eared Sliders (better known as Singapore turtles). My sister's friend gifted them 2.5 years back. A pair costs around 350. Cheapest of all the turtles and available everywhere. Hope you would buy your own and not flick mine.

Currently they are around 5-6 inches in length and 2-3 inches in width. They grow upto 10-12 inches lengthwise, and live around 20-40 years at the max. Long term commitment for sure, however they are the easiest to maintain among all pets.

Last edited by dark_horizon : 22nd August 2010 at 04:03.
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:13   #1480
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks for the info. I peeked into couple pet shops in Poona. Did not see any turtles. Not like I was hunting for them or have made up my mind to buy them though.

So they grow upto a foot long?? Thats quite big! Would be a problem to keep them in an aquarium then. What do you keep them in?

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd August 2010 at 13:18.
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:03   #1481
BHPian

dark horion> i would like to know what you feed them is there any pet food available speciallly for them or we need to prepare one? further what is the cost of maintnance and is there any vaccines to be put or medicines to be feed?are they to be maintained in any particular enviroment & temeprature?
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:32   #1482
BHPian

I had bought a 130 Cu. Liters glass tank when I got them, which was quite huge for them 2 years back, but now since they have grown upto 5 inches, its a bit short, in terms of idealistic ratios. I plan to upgrade it to a big one soon, would be going for 350 Cu. Liters, yet to decide between rubber, plastic or glass.

As for food, I feed them turtle food pellets, which is available at all stores stocking fish food. I also feed them lettuce, carrots, grapes sometimes, and other leafy vegetables. Being a vegetarian myself, I don't feed them live fish, or chicken pieces, other worms like earthworms/bloodworms and stuff. If you are fine with it, you can feed them. Turtle food pellets, which I mentioned above, contains fish, but we have made an exception to it.

Regarding vaccinations, nothing is required. During the 2.5 years, luckily there haven't been any instances, which merited a visit to the Vet. Yeah, sometimes they do develop a skin rash or something on the shell, but exposing it to direct sunlight for half an hour solves the problem. Also, once a week (if possible, daily) they should be exposed to direct sunlight for an hour or so. They cant handle chilled winters, where temperatures go down to say below 15 degree Celsius. I have kept my tank outside my window in the box grill,and in 2008, when Mumbai experienced a very cold winter with temps reaching 8 degrees, they stopped eating food. So I kept them indoors in a wide bucket filled with warm water for a few days, and everything went fine. If your city experiences such temps, you may need to do the same during winters.

As for costs, the initial glass tank, with filter and some showpieces and beautification objects totaled around 2500. Monthly expenses: My maid cleans the tank every 10 days, for which I pay her 20 bucks for each cleaning, so that makes Rs 60 a month, and another Rs 60-80 for the commercial food packet which lasts around 25-30 days. Total maintenance costs - Rs 150 a month at max.

P.S: Small turtles look very cute, however once they grow, you may not find them cute. So, don't buy turtles just for the 'cute' factor. Remember its a long term commitment as they live around 20-40 years.
Also, turtles are not your regular pets like dogs/cats whom you can play with. They are pets who can only be watched swimming/eating in an aquarium. They do not develop any affection towards you whatsoever in their lifespan. If you keep your finger in front of them, they may even bite you, though it hardly hurts. Make an informed decision before you buy them.

Would post their current pics with the tank in a week.
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:33   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

I just thought of sharing my pet details as well, I have a full pedigree 3 years old Rottweiler named: Alex and here are his some of the snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-28112009105.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-29122009160.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-28122009156.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-18012010180.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 11:02   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
They are Red Eared Sliders (better known as Singapore turtles). My sister's friend gifted them 2.5 years back. A pair costs around 350. Cheapest of all the turtles and available everywhere. Hope you would buy your own and not flick mine.

Currently they are around 5-6 inches in length and 2-3 inches in width. They grow upto 10-12 inches lengthwise, and live around 20-40 years at the max. Long term commitment for sure, however they are the easiest to maintain among all pets.
Dude, you better hide your identity coz keeping turtles in India is ILLEGAL.

If any of the reptile savers know about this there will be a raid in your house along with POLICE. You can even be imprisoned or fined a huge amount.

I love turtles too and wanted to keep few, but BEWARE. Don't advertise that you have turtles coz if someone comes to know where, you are in serious problem.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:51   #1485
BHPian

The type of turtles I own (Red eared sliders) are completely legal. Other varieties such as 'Indian Soft Shell Turtles', and other species are illegal, basically the species which are native to India. Red Eared Sliders are imported from Singapore, is in no way native to India, and hence can be kept as pets.

Edit: Reptiles which cannot be kept as pets from the Wildlife protection Act 1972 :

PART II AMPHIBIANS AND REPTILES
[1. Agra Monitor Lizard [Varanus griseus (Daudin)]]
4[1A. *••]
'[IB. Audithia Turtle (Pelochelysbibroni)]
[IC. Barred, Oval, or Yellow Monitor Lizard (Varanus flavescens)]
[ID. Crocodiles (including the Estuarine or salt water crocodile) (Crocodilus
porosus and Crocodilus palustris)]
'(IE. Terrapin (Batagur basika)]
IF. Eastern Hill Terrapin (Melanochelys tricarinata)
2. Gharial (Gravialis gangeticus)
[3. Ganges Soft-shelled Turtle (Trionyx gangeticus)]
'[3A. Golden Gecko (Caloductyloides aureus)]
4. Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia Mydas)
5. Hawksbill Turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata inlscata)
'[6. •••]
7. Indian Egg-eating Snake (Elachistodon westermanni)
8. Indian Soft-shelled Turtle (Lissemys punctata punctata)
9-A. Kerala Forest Terrapin (Hoesemys sylratica)
10. Large Bengal Monitor Lizard (Varanus bengalensis)
11. Leathery Turtle (Dermochelys coriacea)
12. Logger Head Turtle (Caretta caretta)
13. Olive Back Logger Head Turtle (Lepidochelys olivacea)
14. Peacock-marked Soft-shelled Turtle (Trionyx hurum)

SCHEDULE_______________________________WILD LIFE (PROTECTION) ACT, 1972

Last edited by dark_horizon : 23rd August 2010 at 12:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks