Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 13:26   #1396
Senior - BHPian

@Pramodkumar, Thanks Pramod as soon as i am decided with what exactly i want from fish tank will get in touch with you.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:06   #1397
Senior - BHPian

@agspins: see my post on same thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1980259-post1372.html
If its your first time then I suggest you get custom made tank from your nearest fish shop, It doesn't cost EXTRA. The use of silicon can be dangerous for first time user too. It emanates gases & will require special gun & skill etc. A basic (6mm thickness) 24"x18"x18" tank will cost about Rs 700/-. It mainly depends on the cost of glass. Glass thickness increases with the size of tank. Remember glass thickness is of main concern & bad glass can spoil your view. Atleast the front & side glasses should be from a known brand. I have used St Gobain. Bigger tanks will requires strengthners too.
First & foremost decide the place for tank in your home & then decide LxBxH. A filled tank is quite heavy & can cause serious accidents, nothing like they show in movies. Ensure its away from direct sunlight & at place where there is minimum general home traffic i.e. its safe to keep a glass tank full of water. The fish shop will also get you custom hood, again at no extra cost.
Two basic things that you;ll require are Air-pump, a good one should cost abt Rs 400/- buy one that is silent. A noisy pump can sound like noisy generator in the night & a water filter, buy the one that fits your tank & for idea you can see my link. It should not cost more than Rs 1000/-. Flourescent light in the hood can cost upward of Rs 250/-
Gravel, for the bedding of tank, again is to be bought with type of fishes you intend to keep. Large size fishes can swollow small pebbles & may die. Good marble gravel should cost about Rs 35-55 per kg. Decorations & ornaments are as per your taste. Fishes like to hide & play so buy enough plastic plants & other nooks. But not so much that you cannot see your fishes. Read-n some sites after searching on Google (as per the type of fish).
FOOD: Nothing like TETRA BITS (COMPLETE) Yellow colored container. 93g/300ml cost Rs 250/-.
I can go on-&-on but.., So in case you have any query do NOT hesitate to PM me. I would love to help you.

Happy Petting

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 19th July 2010 at 14:18.
Old 20th July 2010, 00:45   #1398
Senior - BHPian

@Ariesonu Thanks, that was really a good info, yep its my first time and planning to get the ready made tank, initially was planning to put it on a Stand, but found out in today's research that it would be better to get myself a wrought iron stand.The dimensions i am planning are 30x18x18 ( it will hold around 163 litres of water, from what i found out).AFA prices are concerned here(Nagpur) they are on higher side with Tanks costing around Rs 12-1400 including the hood( extra for the roof tiles design).
The air pump and air stones/wands are as you suggested.Power head i am planning is Atman/Boyu costing here around 1000-1200, wanted to go for dual setup external and UG, but read that UG is more tedious to handle.Aquarium lights are in range of 500-2500 here.
Substrate would go according to the fishes, earler wanted to go for Gold fish setup, but found out that their compatibility with other fishes is poor.So now researching on Cichilds/Mollies/Guppies etc.Plants, want to go for combo of live and plastics.Decorations, would be a drift wood,couple of resin models( probably a ship wreck as of now if some theme comes to my mind will work on it) and a good artificial reef/cave/stone slabs if i can find.Doing a lot of reading regarding aquariums for last whole week.Will surely get in touch if something comes to my mind.Will try to start the work asap, otherwise will get busy again and end up buying a ready made from a pet shop

Last edited by agspins : 20th July 2010 at 00:48.
Old 20th July 2010, 09:41   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
@Ariesonu Thanks, that was really a good info, yep its my first time and planning to get the ready made tank, initially was planning to put it on a Stand, but found out in today's research that it would be better to get myself a wrought iron stand.The dimensions i am planning are 30x18x18 ( it will hold around 163 litres of water, from what i found out).AFA prices are concerned here(Nagpur) they are on higher side with Tanks costing around Rs 12-1400 including the hood( extra for the roof tiles design).
The air pump and air stones/wands are as you suggested.Power head i am planning is Atman/Boyu costing here around 1000-1200, wanted to go for dual setup external and UG, but read that UG is more tedious to handle.Aquarium lights are in range of 500-2500 here.
Substrate would go according to the fishes, earler wanted to go for Gold fish setup, but found out that their compatibility with other fishes is poor.So now researching on Cichilds/Mollies/Guppies etc.Plants, want to go for combo of live and plastics.Decorations, would be a drift wood,couple of resin models( probably a ship wreck as of now if some theme comes to my mind will work on it) and a good artificial reef/cave/stone slabs if i can find.Doing a lot of reading regarding aquariums for last whole week.Will surely get in touch if something comes to my mind.Will try to start the work asap, otherwise will get busy again and end up buying a ready made from a pet shop

Building an aquarium is a lot like building a home, trust me its fun. Here in the land of kerala drift wood is never a problem, stones carved by natural waterfalls are everywhere during rains. The plants grow wild in every water body you can find. The sand available near my house as as white as sugar. Charcoal is readily available. So going for an aquarium is not a distant dream, The silicon sealant is available @ INR 100 and above, sufficient for the tank you mentioned, the silicon guns are available at INR 80, available at every hardware shop. If you love creating small world, aquarium can help you fulfill that hobby, an petshop can give you (well almost) what you want but at a obscene price. Just to give you an example of what can be done. the link features a DIY marine aquarium, for the size you mentioned you need a minimum of 6mm glass, i can teach you how to do it over the phone, pm me when ready.

Some more drool stuff all DIY

Pramod
Old 20th July 2010, 15:19   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Pramod, again due to some work urgency will be traveling, So again postponing this fab project by a week or so, Even have to do a arrangements for a stand and connections(electrical).BTW what kind stands(wrought iron/wooden) would you suggest,i am looking for something cost effective as well as aesthetically neat.
One more thing as you said you directly use the plants and stones\pebbles locally available, won't that effect the water chemistry.Do you give some sort of treatment to the wood.

Last edited by agspins : 20th July 2010 at 15:22.
Old 20th July 2010, 16:11   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Thanks a lot Pramod, again due to some work urgency will be traveling, So again postponing this fab project by a week or so, Even have to do a arrangements for a stand and connections(electrical).BTW what kind stands(wrought iron/wooden) would you suggest,i am looking for something cost effective as well as aesthetically neat.
One more thing as you said you directly use the plants and stones\pebbles locally available, won't that effect the water chemistry.Do you give some sort of treatment to the wood.

Hmm for the stand you have to make a choice, if you want i can help, wife is an architect, send me a pic of your room where you want the aquarium and i will send you back a stand design, email me @ pramodkumar1@gmail.com. I will be heading to wifes place by next month, the place has a lot of waterfalls so no issues with driftwood, hvkumar traveles a lot between mumbai and kerala let me see if i can arrange your stuff through him. If you can come down to kerala i will gift you couple of fresh water turtles as well .

Pramod
Old 21st July 2010, 14:30   #1402
BHPian

Need help for itching problem of My lab

Gurus,
My 5 month old Lab is continuously scratching its skin, Off late there are so much of hair losses in the bottom and it is in creasing towards side also day by day.. I checked for flies and ticks no sign of them... no dandruff too..Please advice thanks in advance. My dog is in my native.. finding human doctor is rare so forget about vet doctors there.
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:15   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Well if the skin is pink and there is a dry residue formation on the skin then this is the typical itching due to sweets and the skin remaining wet in those areas.

If the symptoms are the above then i'd suggest that you use a Lotion named KISKIN on the areas.

A vaccination for the itching is also advisable.if possible take him to the vet in your nearest city.

Use KISKIN regularly.twice or thrice a day and please observe that the dog should NOT lick it off.

Kiskin is not a dangerous medicine but it may result in some minor vomiting incase the dog licks it off.I have been using it on my dogs since the past 5 years on different occasions and it has proved to be a very good medicine.

Also check the skin near the area where the hair have fallen off.If the infection is in the places which has hair then please cut the hair and then apply the cream.your dog will look funny for a month or so but this will cure your dog.

Don't feed him any kind of sweets.not even fruits.NO SUGAR NO SALT.simple.Also don't let your dog sit in the wet areas.keep him on dry ground.
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:11   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_subbiah View Post
Gurus,
My 5 month old Lab is continuously scratching its skin, Off late there are so much of hair losses in the bottom and it is in creasing towards side also day by day.. I checked for flies and ticks no sign of them... no dandruff too..Please advice thanks in advance. My dog is in my native.. finding human doctor is rare so forget about vet doctors there.
Dude it could be scabies. Though scabies can be treated completely, if left untreated it could spread to humans as well. Drive the dog to a veterinarian ASAP.

Ps: I'm not a vet nor do I intend to alarm you. Just make sure you don't waste time experimenting and trying to guess what the problem is. Let the vet diagnose. Good luck!

Does anyone know of it's possible to have jellyfish as pets? I am smitten with jellyfish since I saw them at an aquarium. Would also like to know if it's possible to keep seahorses / seadragons, squid, cuttlefish, piranha and octopi at home(not necessarily together of course!)?

Any exotic pet dealers in Mumbai?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd July 2010 at 01:04. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:11   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

Any exotic pet dealers in Mumbai?
Try Crawford market, they have these shops selling all sorts of creatures with wings, four legs, fins, flappers and reptiles and what not.
Old 24th July 2010, 00:01   #1406
Senior - BHPian

@PramodKumar...Thank you for your help, i think will have to rework the plans, as there are some space constraints at my place.Will let you know the new worked out details.
Old 24th July 2010, 23:57   #1407
Senior - BHPian

@agspins: Oops, somewhere I had the feeling that this would be the outcome. I have tread that path so here is a starter.
1. Buy a 4" or 6" bowl (Rs35/ to Rs60/-)
2. Buy a blue OR red tail "FIGHTER" fish (Rs35/- to Rs 100/-). Believe me they are beautiful with big fins et all. Buy only ONE fish. They do not mix/live with other fishes, even with their own breed.
No need to buy airpump, filter etc. But do pick up some gravel. Will hardly need a hand full.
3. Buy some dry worms in airtight packet of 05 gms (Rs 5/-). Packet contains about four pieces of sugar cube size frozenworms. Feed your fish ONLY once a day & just about the size of an ant (yes an ant). Break a corner with yr nails & throw it in water. By second day the fish will get hang of the food. Try feeding fish at same time everyday.

I'll write-in more pointers on how to care for your fish, once you have decided on your purchase.

(This is my most common birthday gift to grown up childrens of my friends, society & neighbours)

NOTE: Fighter fishes do not require air pumps because they come to surafce for breathing. Occasionally you'll find airbubbles formation on the surface of water. Do not Panic. That actually means that your fish is FIT & in fact is in its 'heat' period. The bubbles will disappear in a week's time.
+ Point: You can shift the bowl anytime, anywhere (Not for 12" bowl). Later you can buy a plastic hood. It comes with provison to fix a bulb but this is good for 12" & above sized bowls.
Enjoy.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 25th July 2010 at 00:04.
Old 25th July 2010, 16:12   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ariesonu, I somehow don't really wanna go for Bowl, i am just shrinking the size of the tank so as to adjust in available space, this would give me a breather to get out of space constraints and stick back to original plan.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:09   #1409
Senior - BHPian

@Agspins/Pramod Kumar: Just yesterday I finished my first ever MONSTER tank project. The tank is 8 feet x 5 feet & divided into three different sections. Because of its massive size we chose to do the project on-site. 12 mm glass was used & the empty tank weights around 90 kg. Though I do have pictures but owners did not like my view of putting his Aquarium on net even before it has "matured". He is sourcing EXPENSIVE fishes. Respecting his privacy but to share my experience I attach the line diagram of the tank. About an year later we'll convert it into MARINE AQUARIUM. I hope you ENJOY.
Doc1.pdf

Raab Rakha.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:29   #1410
BHPian

Please find the picture of lucky, it was so cute on that day as it just woke up from deep sleep.

i made some arrange ments for the pet to carry out in my new ride.

please find the post here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2000273
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscn0749.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks