Team-BHPians and their Pets-01092005006.jpg  

Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:17   #2222
BHPian

Re: Available for ADOPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
My one in 2005, about the same age
your black lab is looking very cute and innocent. but way back in 2005, but now it must have fully grown, a latest pic of your lab with her/his name will please my eyes
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:24   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
your black lab is looking very cute and innocent. but way back in 2005, but now it must have fully grown, a latest pic of your lab with her/his name will please my eyes
Thanks.

My dog is a male and called LEO
Team-BHPians and their Pets-leo1.jpg

Leo at the gate. Those are my two steeds in the background - Esteem-2000 and Alto K10-2010
Team-BHPians and their Pets-leo2.jpg
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:34   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thanks.

My dog is a male and called LEO
Attachment 604005

Leo at the gate. Those are my two steeds in the background - Esteem-2000 and Alto K10-2010
Attachment 604006

Good looking hunk, how does leo behave, my 8 months old Rambo is very very very naughty and playful, sometimes not controllable. even now while typing this, Rambo is constantly looking at the pic of your Leo and barking

Hope the bark from Chennai is heard in Delhi
Old 4th September 2011, 11:54   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Good looking hunk, how does leo behave, my 8 months old Rambo is very very very naughty and playful, sometimes not controllable. even now while typing this, Rambo is constantly looking at the pic of your Leo and barking

Hope the bark from Chennai is heard in Delhi
Leo is in my opinion an Alpha male, which means that at each an every stage you have to remind him who the Boss is. Unlike most of the dogs, he does not like to be petted, especially on the head, but enjoys boisterous play where you hit him at the back and he jumps back at you.

At age 8 months we got a trainer to come thrice a week for three months to teach him (and us too), basic commands - sit, stay, salute, sleep, roll etc. He still remembers the sequence and at times if you command him one of the latter steps he will go through the whole routine.

Labradors in general require a lot of exercise, so take your dog for at least two/three walks with total time of 2 hours or more. Another thing is to control their gluttony, especially at young age. If they eat too much and grow fat fast, their rear leg muscles will not develop fully, resulting in rear muscle failure at old age. I have posted the diet and method of preparing his food in this thread, so you may refer to it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2461155
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2475709
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2476394
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2460064
Old 4th September 2011, 11:57   #2226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
KITTENS FOR ADOPTION!!

I stay in Bangalore(Vijaynagar) and i would love to give them away to safe hands.
And I stay in Nagarbhavi and I'm interested in adopting a kitten or two. But we now have a 1 year old toddler at home. So not sure if I'll get all the approvals from the Home Minister & the Parliament. Will check.

Is there anybody here who has cats at home and also a baby? Will there be an issue of infection etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Visit CUPA bangalore (Veterinary college on Hebbal road) and give them there.
I would avoid giving away or adopting cats from CUPA. The problem is they keep the cats in cages, and that robs them of their natural instinct to play or run away from dogs. A couple of years back, we bought 2 kittens from CUPA (after paying a voluntary donation of Rs. 200) and it was saddening to see their behavior. We lost both the kittens within 3 months - they were simply not scared of dogs.

@akshay_b: Try to find a home for the kittens, not CUPA. Perhaps an advertisement on Free Ads or a mail to everybody in your office?
Old 4th September 2011, 12:18   #2227
BHPian

Guys , my sister's friend in B'lore is giving away a Lab puppy . Do PM if any of you'll are interested.
Old 4th September 2011, 23:15   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys,
My 3 kittens have become pure non-vegetarians - they take only Whiskas (dry and wet/paste-like food) and boiled egg. Also, they take a li'l bit of milk. I am trying hard to change them atleast partly into vegetarians - but in vain.
I understand that cats should not be grown as pure-veggies, but to be frank, feeding them with Whiskas daily is becoming costly. Your suggestions are most welcome.
Cats are carnivores unlike dogs which can thrive on either a veg or a non-veg diet.It's inadvisable (even if you yourself are a pure veggie)to force them to eat a milk/bread/rice diet.
Regarding the Whiskas problem - I totally sympathize - Rs 35/50 per packet of wet food seems like a total rip - off.My compromise is to feed my two cats ( Mixie,Pixie) boiled fish/chicken.I get it from the local fish vendor - mainly not very bony seafish-boil it plain with water,de-bone.
Although they have now turned quite gourmet and eat stuff like this too - Amazon.com: Tiki Cat King Kamehameha (12/2.8oz Cans): Pet Supplies.This is all that I import from Amazon.com these days!
Keep a lot of drinking water around if you are feeding them dry Whiskas pellets.Also,get them immunised with the rabies vaccine + a 3-in 1 vaccine and get them dewormed both for yours and their safety.
Old 5th September 2011, 00:52   #2229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
Cats are carnivores unlike dogs which can thrive on either a veg or a non-veg diet.It's inadvisable (even if you yourself are a pure veggie)to force them to eat a milk/bread/rice diet.
Regarding the Whiskas problem - I totally sympathize - Rs 35/50 per packet of wet food seems like a total rip - off.My compromise is to feed my two cats ( Mixie,Pixie) boiled fish/chicken.I get it from the local fish vendor - mainly not very bony seafish-boil it plain with water,de-bone.
Although they have now turned quite gourmet and eat stuff like this too - Amazon.com: Tiki Cat King Kamehameha (12/2.8oz Cans): Pet Supplies.This is all that I import from Amazon.com these days!
Keep a lot of drinking water around if you are feeding them dry Whiskas pellets.Also,get them immunised with the rabies vaccine + a 3-in 1 vaccine and get them dewormed both for yours and their safety.
That reminds me - how did I forget?!! Why not simply get the Dry cat food 2kg pack for 400? It will last a about 20 days. Thats what I've been using for the last few years. Wet food is a waste and my earlier cats never liked it. They enjoy the occasional Salami treat better.

--Ragul
Old 5th September 2011, 19:15   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post
Regarding the Whiskas problem - I totally sympathize - Rs 35/50 per packet of wet food seems like a total rip - off.
Whiskas junior 1.4kg pack will cost you 350Rs and lasts over a month for my 8 month old kitten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
And I stay in Nagarbhavi and I'm interested in adopting a kitten or two. But we now have a 1 year old toddler at home. So not sure if I'll get all the approvals from the Home Minister & the Parliament. Will check.

Is there anybody here who has cats at home and also a baby? Will there be an issue of infection etc?

I would avoid giving away or adopting cats from CUPA. The problem is they keep the cats in cages, and that robs them of their natural instinct to play or run away from dogs. A couple of years back, we bought 2 kittens from CUPA (after paying a voluntary donation of Rs. 200) and it was saddening to see their behavior. We lost both the kittens within 3 months - they were simply not scared of dogs.

@akshay_b: Try to find a home for the kittens, not CUPA. Perhaps an advertisement on Free Ads or a mail to everybody in your office?
Sure let me know, I have grown up with kittens,mid aged and oldie cats ever since i was a baby and i am happy to have grown up with those little furry friends. AFAIK a vaccinated cat is almost harmless, anyway you may want to check with your baby's doctor once.

I've tried many means to tell people that i have kittens up for adoption, but not many were interested, I don't want to give them to CUPA and lock them up in cages but it is my last resort as my mom is the only one to look after them in the day, to top it, i stay in an apartment and there is not much space for them to run and play around.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:07   #2231
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone know where in Bangalore I can get the cheapest wholesale prices for 25 kilo bags of cat litter? On a time crunch - would appreciate any early leads!
Old 6th September 2011, 15:35   #2232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyone know where in Bangalore I can get the cheapest wholesale prices for 25 kilo bags of cat litter? On a time crunch - would appreciate any early leads!
I have PM'ed you with the contact no. of the guy whom I buy my dog food from. I know nothing about cats but I have noticed cat food at his shop, and I know for sure he gives wholesale prices. You can check if he has what you need.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:45   #2233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I have PM'ed you with the contact no. of the guy whom I buy my dog food from. I know nothing about cats but I have noticed cat food at his shop, and I know for sure he gives wholesale prices. You can check if he has what you need.
Thanks man. Unbelievable, but when I spoke to the guy, Kiran, he referred me to his boss Amith - with whom I've been dealing with over the past 4 years
Old 6th September 2011, 16:01   #2234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks man. Unbelievable, but when I spoke to the guy, Kiran, he referred me to his boss Amith - with whom I've been dealing with over the past 4 years
Hahaha, that was one unexpected loop They do offer competitive prices though, at least for dog food.
Old 11th September 2011, 19:16   #2235
BHPian

Guys I have to transport my dog (GSD, 2yrs old) from Bangalore to Pune. Has anyone done this earlier? I sold my car and can't wait to bring him until I buy a new car here, so suggestions required.

A bit OT (Sorry MODS) - I have to move my households too, so while I transport my stuffs through movers and packers (please provide contact of a reliable one), will they take my dog too?

Right now I am clueless about transporting my dog, have googled enough, but none were convincing enough.

Kind of urgent

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks