Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 13:02   #2251
BHPian

Need part time/full time dog attendant for 1.5 months in Mysore

Hi All,

My wife and I have two adopted Indian dogs, 1 male, 1 female, both neutered/spayed. We are planning a trip to the North East of the country for about 1.5 months from Oct - mid Nov 11. So we plan to leave our dogs at my father-in-law's place in Mysore. He already has 2 adopted Indian dogs there, both male, both neutered. Only problem is that my male dog and one of his dogs tend to fight occasionally if not watched and my FIL being a senior citizen living alone cannot handle 3 fighting dogs. Also, my female dog is over friendly with visitors and has a tendency to jump in a friendly manner on visitors/maids etc. So we're looking for someone to help him with the dogs. Person could be available for the entire working day (9 a.m. - 6 p.m.) or even part time (9-11 a.m.) and (4-6 p.m.) and would need to feed dogs their pellets and milk and take them for 2 walks a day, but most essentially, be on hand to control them when there are visitors.
Please let me know in case you know of anyone who would suit the description and would be interested.

PS: Other option for us is to leave the dogs in a kennel here in Bangalore. Best rates we are getting currently is Rs. 250 /day/dog. This works out to around Rs. 22500 for the 1.5 month period, which is kinda expensive. So if anyone knows any kennel where slightly lower rates would be available, please let me know. Of course, the priority is to ensure that they are comfortable, so money , though important, isn't the deciding factor.

Last edited by sidkun : 14th September 2011 at 13:06.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:13   #2252
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Guys I have to transport my dog (GSD, 2yrs old) from Bangalore to Pune. Has anyone done this earlier? I sold my car and can't wait to bring him until I buy a new car here, so suggestions required.

A bit OT (Sorry MODS) - I have to move my households too, so while I transport my stuffs through movers and packers (please provide contact of a reliable one), will they take my dog too?

Right now I am clueless about transporting my dog, have googled enough, but none were convincing enough.

Kind of urgent
I moved my one and half year old german shepherd from chennai to mumbai about 2 years back. I booked her well in advance into the dog compartment. It is a cage which is built into the TTR's compartment. I made sure she had a soft blanket with her along with plenty of food with water. I made sure that my seats on the train were in a compartment close to her's. Every station with a long stop, I ran and said hi. She tolerated it very well and made sure that when she got off at mumbai, the train had to be moved by the engine driver, after everyone had gotten off, just for her to get off. You see, in her case the compartment was the last one and it was out of the station. Railway rules say that the animal must get off in the station.
Needless to say, my father had to pull a lot of strings to make sure everything went on right.
Old 20th September 2011, 10:07   #2253
BHPian

I talked at Hertz, they will give me a car only when I return it back in Bangalore.

and

they will not allow a dog in it, specially a big one :-/
Old 20th September 2011, 11:03   #2254
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a pity you told them about the dog
Old 20th September 2011, 12:32   #2255
Distinguished - BHPian

A first-of-a-kind (in India) scene today morning. Had set out on my morning walk, and came up to a guy who was walking his Lab. The Lab was ready to relieve himself & did so in the middle of the road. The guy picked up some leaves from the side of the road, and actually picked up after his Lab and threw it away into the nearby bushes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
Railway rules say that the animal must get off in the station.
Ah ! So IR is actually pet-friendly ! good, good !
Old 20th September 2011, 18:50   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A first-of-a-kind (in India) scene today morning. Had set out on my morning walk, and came up to a guy who was walking his Lab. The Lab was ready to relieve himself & did so in the middle of the road. The guy picked up some leaves from the side of the road, and actually picked up after his Lab and threw it away into the nearby bushes.
Probably hangover from his stay in US/Canada
I have seen this practice is pretty common in North America, else there's a penalty.I guess the same is followed in European countries.
But love this western influence here.Finally we are catching up
Old 20th September 2011, 18:59   #2257
Distinguished - BHPian

My appreciation for this guy's act is based on my awareness of this rule in US/CA. I still think this was an exception and not about us catching up.

OTOH, I have seen guys in the US grinding the pet's poop into the grass so that they dont have to pick up.
Old 20th September 2011, 22:26   #2258
BHPian

My wife and my son rescued a stray puppy that someone left in front of our gate a few months ago. She was extremely ill. Almost paralysed and could not stand up or even raise her head to eat the food. We started treating her. After 7 days she could stand up a little. And with continued treatment she is fit and fine now.

She is extremely naughty and playful. She runs with such a speed that we get amazed (we didn't think that she could even stand up one day). Loves to eat and play.

When she greets me when I return home after office fills my heart with joy. She is like the daughter to us that we never had.

We named her "Bhuku" - seems strange? It originated because when she was small she used to bark with the sound "bhuk" "bhuk" - so the name .

Here are some of her pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000579.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-p1000582.jpg  

Last edited by archat68 : 20th September 2011 at 22:29.
archat68 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 23:05   #2259
Senior - BHPian

A noble deed indeed! Kudos!
May God bless you!

We can't even imagine what strays must be going through. They are left to starve on roads and people mercilessly pelt stones at them just to derive sadistic pleasure, without even thinking that they may get fractured, disabled and lead a life full of pain.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 20th September 2011 at 23:10.
Old 21st September 2011, 10:05   #2260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My wife and my son rescued a stray puppy that someone left in front of our gate a few months ago. She was extremely ill. Almost paralysed and could not stand up or even raise her head to eat the food. We started treating her. After 7 days she could stand up a little. And with continued treatment she is fit and fine now.

She is extremely naughty and playful. She runs with such a speed that we get amazed (we didn't think that she could even stand up one day). Loves to eat and play.

When she greets me when I return home after office fills my heart with joy. She is like the daughter to us that we never had.

We named her "Bhuku" - seems strange? It originated because when she was small she used to bark with the sound "bhuk" "bhuk" - so the name .

I want to thank you.

And she is adorable, youll enjoy her stay immensely.

Those paws, there is some big dog blood in her.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:52   #2261
BHPian

Thanks!!

We love animals and always wanted a pet. But never actually had one as my son is extremely allergic and we feared that dog dander/fur may aggravate his allergy. But now she is here and we are enjoying her company - maybe god desired so..........
Old 21st September 2011, 15:45   #2262
jp1
BHPian

Your puppy looks exactly like mine which I adopted from the street 8 years ago. That naughty look of your puppy reminds me when my dog was small. The fellow is still with us, it is a very loving dog. We used to get un invited guests every now and then, Snakes. That too poisonous ones like cobra, viper and also rat snakes. Thanks to my dog, it finds them every time. It is very clever, it can distinguish from the poisonous from other ones and it wont bite them, instead keep barking at them, it wont allow the fellow to move, but if it is not poisonous, it bites them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
My wife and my son rescued a stray puppy th
at someone left in front of our gate a few months ago. She was extremely ill. Almost paralysed and could not stand up or even raise her head to eat the food. We started treating her. After 7 days she could stand up a little. And with continued treatment she is fit and fine now.

Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dscn20791.jpg  

Last edited by jp1 : 21st September 2011 at 15:55.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:26   #2263
BHPian

^
Yes! your dog seems to be my pupy's big brother .Post a recent picture of him pls.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:42   #2264
Senior - BHPian

A few questions for the pet lovers here, I hope someone can clarify my doubts

I will move shortly to a 2 bed apartment in a housing society with only parking space around the building compund. There are enough pavements outside for a walk and open spaces are within a 30 minute drive. I would like to adopt a dog/ pup, but dont know the legal issues involved.

Is the space enough for a pet?
Where can I adopt from?
What precautions are to be taken? My son is 5 years old but no idea if he is allergic to fur/ hair
Any vaccinations to be given to the pet or us?
Is a licence/ tag required for the pet?
Is it safe/ legal to transport pets in a car once in a while? I was thinking I could fold off one of the rear seats of my Jazz for this and put in a makeshift barrier.

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st September 2011 at 16:44.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:49   #2265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A few questions for the pet lovers here, I hope someone can clarify my doubts

I will move shortly to a 2 bed apartment in a housing society with only parking space around the building compund. There are enough pavements outside for a walk and open spaces are within a 30 minute drive. I would like to adopt a dog/ pup, but dont know the legal issues involved.

Is the space enough for a pet?

If you're adopting a small dog, most probably a local Indian dog from a shelter, I think space is not so much of an issue. But if the dog is going to be alone without any supervision for most part of the day, then it would mean some/ lots of chewing up furniture/slippers/etc.

Where can I adopt from?

People For Animals could help you there. In case you're interested, a friend of mine on Facebook is an animal adoption volunteer and I could put you through.

What precautions are to be taken? My son is 5 years old but no idea if he is allergic to fur/ hair
Any vaccinations to be given to the pet or us?

Vaccinations as per the schedule prescribed by the vet need to be given to the dog.

Is a licence/ tag required for the pet?

Technically, yes, although most owners are not aware of that fact. The Bangalore Municipal Corporation (BBMP) issues licenses here which need to be renewed every year.

Is it safe/ legal to transport pets in a car once in a while? I was thinking I could fold off one of the rear seats of my Jazz for this and put in a makeshift barrier.

I believe it should be legal to take your pets in your car.....I see so many people doing that, and I take my 2 dogs on short trips as well....as long as you drive carefully, it should be ok. In addition, you could also get travel harnesses for the dogs.

Answers in bold inline.
sidkun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks