Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 23:51   #781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
How do you (to those who are staying alone/working couple) manage dog when you go to office and there is no one to take care of him during daytime? I cant even think of my dog locked inside the home for whole day. This is the main reason I could not take one cute pug offered to me by a friend.
Any takers for this question?
Old 2nd December 2009, 01:30   #782
Senior - BHPian

@Muzzled moose: The GS is 9 months and Milo the Lab is close to 7 months
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:29   #783
BHPian

Latheesh - You need open space with fence or high raised compounds all around. Leave your dog free. Feed him and take him for a walk before you leave for work. This will make him or her sleep for a couple of hours. Later he will be active. Keep dog chews or bones around which will keep him busy. Yes he will surely get bored for an hour or two. But as sson as you reach home, pet him first and spend time with him. If you have 2 dogs then nothing like it. They will keep each others company.This is what i do though most of the times though there will be a maid at home.

Last edited by Torque123 : 2nd December 2009 at 02:31.
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:33   #784
BANNED

Maddy,
Both Simba and Milo are adorable (good names as well). I noticed your dogs on a leash at home. Labs and GS being such active breeds may get aggressive as a result of boredom. Especially when we have visitors come over. Every time there is a visitor, if you leash him or send them out, they associate visitor with a bad experience, and get aggressive.

We had to work hard on our lab to control his excitement when we have other dogs (play dates) or friends come over, but he is never on a leash at home.
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:42   #785
BANNED

Quote:
If there is access to a yard, shade, water, and couple toys they should be fine by themselves. That said they should never be left by themselves for more than 6 hours 7 days a week. Better to look for like minded friends with dogs to arrange for doggie play dates, or day care, helps in socializing with other dogs and people. If you can comeback home during lunch hours and play for an hour at least couple days a week, they should be ok.

We should have more work places that allow well behaved pooches. I was at a well known tech firm in the Bay area - last year and a cubicle had a gate. Looked inside and a pooch was in a cozy little bed chewing on his toy. Later in the day I saw the person running/jogging with the pooch outside the building. Isn't that fabulous. I have known therapy dogs, and service dogs at work, but having pets at work is simply awesome.

Last edited by prasadee : 2nd December 2009 at 06:44.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:20   #786
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

People who are out of the house the whole day without help at home or family at home SHOULD NEVER KEEP PETS.
THIS IS A SERIOUS CRUELTY ISSUE and should be REPORTED IMMEDIATELY.
In my opinion such owners should NOT be encouraged.

Quote:
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:45   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
People who are out of the house the whole day without help at home or family at home SHOULD NEVER KEEP PETS.
Reported to whom Shanker? My casper sleeps with me on the bed during the night and during the day she sleeps in the balcony when i am in fro work, she dosent cry even once, and is excited to see me in the evening. People leave their kids locked inside their homes, so does that means they should be reported as well? Shanker i know i am not making a point here and my argument must be lame, but me living seprately dosent mean i am not entitled to have a pet. I agree keeping small pups locked up or chained the whole day can be a accounted for cruelity but a big fully grown dog can be kept that way if its trained that way. I can understand your love for your pet/s, and every time we leave for office we leave with a heavy heart, both me and my spouse pat her and kiss her before we leave. Its a situation of choice, which is difficult but has to be made. I am sure people will still leave their pets after reading these lines only difference would be, no one will admit it in open. Dogs like to laze arround during the day, if they have us arround they are always active which disturbs their routines. I see my dog very lazy by sunday evening,she looks sleep deprived . I think the solutions provided by other people is good.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Latheesh - You need open space with fence or high raised compounds all around. Leave your dog free. Feed him and take him for a walk before you leave for work. This will make him or her sleep for a couple of hours. Later he will be active. Keep dog chews or bones around which will keep him busy. Yes he will surely get bored for an hour or two. But as sson as you reach home, pet him first and spend time with him. If you have 2 dogs then nothing like it. They will keep each others company.This is what i do though most of the times though there will be a maid at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
If there is access to a yard, shade, water, and couple toys they should be fine by themselves. That said they should never be left by themselves for more than 6 hours 7 days a week. Better to look for like minded friends with dogs to arrange for doggie play dates, or day care, helps in socializing with other dogs and people. If you can comeback home during lunch hours and play for an hour at least couple days a week, they should be ok.

We should have more work places that allow well behaved pooches. I was at a well known tech firm in the Bay area - last year and a cubicle had a gate. Looked inside and a pooch was in a cozy little bed chewing on his toy. Later in the day I saw the person running/jogging with the pooch outside the building. Isn't that fabulous. I have known therapy dogs, and service dogs at work, but having pets at work is simply awesome.
Lets all openly discuss the things we do and we should not which will ensure our pets are very happy.

Pramod
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:24   #788
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have pet rabbits ? Are they a handful ? I love rabbits and had them when I was a toddler. Except the smell and poop everywhere, they might be quite a pleasure to be with. Anyone ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:34   #789
BHPian

Hi Pervez, Rabbits are good pets, provide you give them their space. They love to hope around and ofcourse once in a while dig. Its a pleasure to watch them run throwing their bag legs in air. So if you have space and some time to take care of them from common predator's dogs mainly, they are good to have. Other problems you have already mentioned. A rabbit in cage most of the time is not a good idea.

Medical problems are very very less for them, if you are not planing for a imported variety.

Food ofcouse you get lots from vegetable shops. I used to get them carrorts at throw away price from vendors as there are very few takers for the outof shape carrots.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:40   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Some of you might know him already but for the others who don't, he is Zeus and he is by far, the most docile Doberman on Earth!

You'll can see in the second photograph that the Hyundai Santro Xing has amazing head-room

P.S. Sorry about his eyes. I tried getting a picture without that but it didn't happen!

HI,

Tell me why does this happen.

I use this picture to scare my child to eat or to get my work done.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-dsc00021.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 11:56   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
HI,

Tell me why does this happen.

I use this picture to scare my child to eat or to get my work done.

Isn't this the red-eye(or in this case the green-eye). Try with the digital camera's red-eye reduction feature .
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:12   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately due to that same problem I had to give away my 3 month old Lab pup. Luckily we found a great home for him (a friend of my sister's who earlier had dogs) and he is now a very naughty/pampered 8 mth old dog!

I would suggest finding some one who lives close by and has dogs and maybe you can ask them for a favour of letting your dog stay during day-time hours?
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:31   #793
BHPian

Had tried this and worked for me

Quote:
I had to leave my dog alone at home when my parents had gone abroad for 6 months time.

Cannot be done for small puppies timm its 2 months old.

You can tie the dog to door handle ie inside home and ask you maid or any of your neighbours to push the food plate inside through the door gap below.

Give him lot of toys to play if you are gonna let him loose inside the home and lock your kitchen and other rooms except the room for him.

Adv : DOG is inside the home and secure .
Adv : Will know you and your family as the owner and will not let anyone else to come in.
DIS Adv : You would have the dog ( potty ) inside and you will need to clean every day after you are back.

This would workout if you dog eats if anyone else keeps food because my dog would not eat unless me or my wife keep the plate for him to eat . Its trained that way.

When you come back spend a whole 10 min with him to reassure you are back for him and you will see him turn around for you with 300% more energy.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:34   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
+100 to Shankar.balan

I have not got another pet after my GS died, for the reason nobody was there to take care of him when we left him alone at home and my parents nor me have the heart to leave them alone and we felt very bad when we did. My friends dog refused to eat when they had left him at home with the neighbors trying to feed him.
A pet is a family member and a huge responsibility. Even if one has a huge space for the pet to be let loose in , the pet also suffers from loneliness.
I agree 100% with Shankar.balan People who are out of the house the whole day SHOULD NEVER KEEP PETS

regards
MP
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:36   #795
Senior - BHPian

Well the dogs have a kennel of their own. They are leashed outside for few hours when the kennel is being cleaned and so they can have little sunlight. Each night they are left to roam the area round our house. Mostly we have dogs for guards as we live in a village

I know it would sound weird but dogs are not let inside the house. Has been an issue which has just been followed. We never let the pets inside the house. Its not that we dont love them or such. No idea how to put it in words. Atleast the relatives houses we go to pets are never let inside. There is usually huge running space round the house and there the pets rule

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks