Old 11th October 2011, 15:11   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Watch this too - you'll like it

Eight Below (2006) - IMDb
yeah, that's a nice one too!

my uncle had a Husky once, but he passed away few years back. was massive when he was just 6months old!

oh oh, watch this - Two Brothers!

PS: sorry for going OT
Old 11th October 2011, 17:18   #2313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Guys, need help. Suddenly there's been a tick-attack at my house. I check my dog's hair about once a week for ticks and fleas. About a week back, there were none, yesterday when I checked, I found at least 20-30 small ticks. I have no clue what caused such a sudden rise in the ticks. Today morning, I found a few in my bedroom even though he rarely comes here. Mind you, these are very small ones and searching for them is difficult. I've applied anti-tick powders of 2 different brands, yet I can't see any benefits. Please advice if there's some good home-made solution or anything that will instantly kill these ticks. Thanks.
Give your dog a bath with a powerful anti-tick shampoo ASAP! 20-30 ticks is alarming. If left untreated/unremoved, they carry some nasty germs and can cause a fatal disease called 'Tick Fever'.
Ticks thrive in dry weather places and away from light. Most probable areas are in dry soil, in between grass, etc.

Other steps -

1. Get an anti-tick spray and do a shoot-at-sight whenever you see one at home on the floor/walls. DO NOT crush a tick with a shoe/newspaper. They have eggs in them and it will only aggravate the situation by multiplying. A few years ago, tick eggs were only killed by kerosene but the latest sprays do the job well.

2. If the ticks don't fall off after the shampoo bath, contact the vet and try to get an anti-tick injection asap if he recommends it. Whatever parasites are clinging onto the dog will release and fall off

3. After 3-4 days of the bath, apply a topical anti-tick vaccine like Bayer's K9 Advantix and repeat after every 40 days. Cipla's Protector will also do the job but provides protection for 30 days. You wont have any more ticks/fleas/flies/mosquitoes near your pet. No parasites can latch onto the dog after this is applied

4. Throw the anti-tick powder into the dustbin and recommend others never to buy them

5. For now, check the gaps between the paws on all legs. This area is where the ticks begin their journey into the feasting land and move upwards gradually. Behind the ears is another "safe" area for them.

a word of caution - some anti-tick sprays are quite powerful so avoid spraying near the eyes of the pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

there's another one that'll break your heart - Marley and Me
Exactly, and because i have a dog, I didn't watch it because I was scared of what I would see in the end I had read the original book though (watching the pain is harder than reading). Is the movie a 100% replica of the book story?

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th October 2011 at 17:43.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 17:26   #2314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Exactly, and because i have a dog, I didn't watch it because I was scared of what I would see in the end I had read the original book though (watching the pain is harder than reading). Is the movie a 100% replica of the book story?

wife read the book and watched the movie, says its practically the same.
I watched it, only movie.
And i understood the whole gamut of emotions, and wondered why do people pay to watch such stuff.
utter misery for pet owners.
had to switch moods with "jaane bhi do...." after that.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 18:15   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need help. Suddenly there's been a tick-attack at my house. I check my dog's hair about once a week for ticks and fleas. About a week back, there were none, yesterday when I checked, I found at least 20-30 small ticks. I have no clue what caused such a sudden rise in the ticks. Today morning, I found a few in my bedroom even though he rarely comes here. Mind you, these are very small ones and searching for them is difficult. I've applied anti-tick powders of 2 different brands, yet I can't see any benefits. Please advice if there's some good home-made solution or anything that will instantly kill these ticks. Thanks.
@prateekm; bathing your dog with RIDD is also very helpful. It can be purchased at any pharmacy or pet shop. Please follow the instructions very carefully.

Bayer used to have tick collars (don't know if they are still available).

Please check the corners of the rooms in your house. If the tick attack is bad, you may find ticks having crawled in the corners right upto the roof!!

Good luck.
Sugeeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 19:35   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Ticks come from outside, and then take residence in your house.
. Check paws, eyes, ears and the body at least every time you take the dog out
. Give the dog a thorough shampoo, preferably with antiseptic or anti tick formulation
. Fumigate the house. Ticks have a nasty habit of inhabiting dark corners, soft sofas, wall crack, furniture joints etc. And they lay eggs. So the infestation is due to the eggs laid a few days back, maturing now. Only thorough fumigation will eliminate all the ticks and their eggs.

Parasites like a "palatable" and tasty host. For long term protection add
. garlic paste - 1 tea spoon/meal.
. turmeric - 1/2 tea spoon/meal.
to the food. I add these to the rice we cook for the dog. These will ensure that the dog is an "unpalatable host" to the ticks and they will not infest the dog. This formulation will also prevent worms and other internal parasite infection.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 19:55   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
@prateekm; bathing your dog with RIDD is also very helpful. It can be purchased at any pharmacy or pet shop. Please follow the instructions very carefully.

Bayer used to have tick collars (don't know if they are still available).
Good luck.
+1 to the above suggestion. Try applying a diluted solution of Ridd after a good bath with a good anti tick/flea shampoo. It works big time. One of the cheapest and best ways to get rid of ticks.

I use RIDD on all my cuties every month after the bath. Do not use RIDD on any puppy below 6 or 7 months of age. I found the tick collars useless.

You can also use tick drops called "FRONTLINE". It is costly but works quite well for around 45 days or so (~800 bucks). You have to put the drops on the spine of the dog.

Last edited by Torque123 : 11th October 2011 at 19:57.
Torque123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 20:00   #2318
BHPian

+1
Garlic works wonder. My puppy spends a lot of time in our garden but she doesn't have any parasite. We feed 1 garlic clove with every meal.

You can also try neem oil or if not available you can boil lot of neem leaves with water (not too much), continue boiling for 10-15 minutes, cool, remove the leaves and apply the water extract to the dogs fur. It is a very effective and safe insecticide.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 22:15   #2319
Senior - BHPian

found this on Facebook. how very true! every pet owner should realize this!

Team-BHPians and their Pets-315368_154438531315111_153989258026705_259387_256237385_n.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 11:04   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need help. Suddenly there's been a tick-attack at my house.
Chillax. Here is a tried and tested method and is 100% efficient.

Get the 2 Shampoo bottles, and give him bath with both. Then apply ridd all over his body (I use gloves, but not required) after his coat is dry, later, comb his hair. You can put the RIDD in the "Collin" Bottle diluted and spray it all around your bed and house. It will kill not only ticks, but spiders, ants etc too. It will act as a pest control. You can see in the picture, it is used on Tigers too

Remember - Problem here is not only the ticks on your dog, but also all over your house. You can not help them stay away from your dog unless you get them out of your house. So first pest control your house before treating your dog for this. You may just end up using harmful products on him, wherein the ticks will be easily coming back because they reside at your home.

And finally Glossy coat everyday, which gives them lovely shiny coat and takes care of any kind of skin infection+ diseases. It does not let the skin get dry.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...82825471742314
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-shampoo.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ridd.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-ridd1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-glossy1.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-glossy.jpg  

Last edited by Googleman : 12th October 2011 at 11:15.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:32   #2321
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Parasites as stated above are taken care of by Garlic primarily and turmeric for internal immunity (hold true for humans too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
+1
Garlic works wonder. My puppy spends a lot of time in our garden but she doesn't have any parasite. We feed 1 garlic clove with every meal.
I love deep fried browned garlic with sprinkled salt over it. and I kept advocating it to a friend who falls ill often and doesn't eat garlic. So I was searching for "motivational" articles about garlic and came across this: Why no Onions and Garlic?

The relevant part is quoted below
Quote:
For precisely the same reason the garlic family of plants has been widely recognized as being harmful to dogs.
HTH
--Ragul
Old 13th October 2011, 20:42   #2322
BHPian

Garlic or garlic powder all contain a substance that causes destruction of red blood cells resulting in potentially life-threatening anemia.

Quoting from an article:

Quote:
Perhaps most revealing is the study published in the American Journal of Veterinary Research in November 2000. Four dogs were given measured amounts of garlic and four dogs received none. After only seven days, blood tests on the dogs taking garlic revealed decreased levels in hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell values. Heinz body formation, an increase in erythrocyte-reduced glutathione concentration, and eccentrocytes were also detected, although none of the dogs developed hemolytic anemia.

Veterinarians conducting the study concluded that garlic has the potential to cause hemolytic anemia and that food containing garlic should not be given to dogs
I would not mind treating my dog for ticks and fleas separately than Garlic as a prevention.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:03   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Garlic or garlic powder all contain a substance that causes destruction of red blood cells resulting in potentially life-threatening anemia.

Quoting from an article:

I would not mind treating my dog for ticks and fleas separately than Garlic as a prevention.
Read these:

Garlic for Dogs | Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?

Dog health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Onions contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder.[citation needed] Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat. Also garlic contains thiosulfate, even if to a significantly lesser extent, and it is also known to cause diarrhea and vomiting. Small doses of garlic 5-6 times per week can improve dog health, since garlic is a natural antimicrobial and helps to prevent heart disease. It is stated that garlic also has repellent effects on fleas and ticks, especially in combination with brewer's or nutritional yeast.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:27   #2324

I am lucky owner of a 2 year healthy & fluffy female squirrel named "Chottu" which was found abandoned on my terrace when just 15 days old and was about to become a feast for local cats or crows. Amuses everyone with her amazing antics, lightning speed & reflexes. Want to cast her in the next Stuart Little series though.. born star material!
Hurricane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 22:13   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Had a peculiar experience this morning when I was leaving for work.
I heard incessant meowing outside my apartment door (many of the tenants in my apartments have cats, so the meow here and there is pretty common).
But when I opened my door, found that a full grown tom is sitting outside and trying to get in (This one looked just like Garfield!). He was quite docile and approached me, and then I noticed that my next door neighbor left some food and water outside their apartment.
I knocked on my neighbor's door, but no one answered. Instead I could hear another cat clawing from inside.
Tried to soothe the cat outside, as he was very upset (been with cats all life long so I know the signs - with dilated pupils, incessant meowing and restless gait). Even let him into my apartment, where after a minute of looking around, the cat made out that this is not his home. He tried to stick to me, and did not mind me picking him up and soothing him.
As I was getting late for office, I had to leave the cat in the corridor and called my building management, and asked them to take care of this situation.
God knows what happened to the owners - and what shall happen to the cat!!
I shall update once I reach home in evening.

Last edited by blackasta : 13th October 2011 at 22:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks