Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 21:14   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
I believe Reliance Wellness has shut shop. Atleast in Hyderabad
and some parts of Bangalore.
Yup some stores here are already closed and others will be soon. So even the open stores are not getting new stock . I have run out of whey and badly need to find some reliable dealer quick. Guys please suggest.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:33   #2372
BHPian

How many of you know about Crossfit workouts? I recently came to know about it and it seemed worth trying. Haven't had the chance to actually try it out though.

I won't say too much about it as I'm not an expert. But check out the Wikipedia and other links I've included.

CrossFit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness
Old 11th January 2010, 12:17   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4s View Post
hello sir...
sajid here, i need your advice about supplements, first i wish to describe myself
height: 5f 10in
weight: 60kg

i dont have fat on my body but sometimes feel skinny as compared to my friends having height greater than or equal to me, recently i started hitting the gym, heard a lot about supplements
please tell me what should i take
ON 100% gold whey protein or ON serious mass
i am desperate to gain few kgs

please reply

thanks and regards
sajid
Old 13th January 2010, 01:38   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Great! Any problems with the customs? One of my friends is
bringing a 5 lb. tub for me in March. Should he be carrying the
receipt (from BB.com) in case he's stopped? I did tell him to pack
it 'nicely' so that it escapes them!
Shouldn't be a problem IMO.
My bro brought 3 bottles of jack3d in check in baggage fm California last week and there wasn't any problem.

And ya a 5lb tub doesnt escapes customs.

BTW my body fat has gone to 11%.
When i joined gym in april last year it was 22%
Old 17th January 2010, 18:25   #2375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
GOTTA see this!
Old 17th January 2010, 19:46   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
And ya a 5lb tub doesnt escapes customs.

congrats on the low body fat ! - too many people get lost in body weight when body fat, muscle mass, bone density and water weight are the real things to look at

I got a 3 tubs past customs in checked in baggage and one of them was 5lbs! Remember you can get stuff worth 25k INR, so even if they stop you, show the receipt, tell em you know the rules and move on
Old 20th January 2010, 11:30   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Body fat caliper

Any idea if something like this is available in India?
Bodybuilding.com - AccuFitness FatTrack II Digital Body Fat Caliper - With Free MyoTape! On sale now!

I am not sure the body fat scales are accurate enough.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:07   #2378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Any idea if something like this is available in India?
Bodybuilding.com - AccuFitness FatTrack II Digital Body Fat Caliper - With Free MyoTape! On sale now!

I am not sure the body fat scales are accurate enough.
most body fat calculators are not accurate - there maybe a relative error of 1-2%. However that error is fixed. So if you have a scale which gives readings 2% lower, your readings will always be lower by 2%.
Whats important is if your scale shows you have dropped from 20% fat to 10% fat, you have indeed lost 10% body fat. Seeing results is all that matters and this is all that can be expected of any home scale.

You can go for body fat measurements using calipers, etc to see how off your home scale is, but I think thats quite over the board, unless you are competing for mr. olympia

Edit - having said the above gyaan, i would still like to own the fat measuring digital caliper and already have it on my shopping list!!

Last edited by jassi : 20th January 2010 at 12:09.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:31   #2379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
most body fat calculators are not accurate - there maybe a relative error of 1-2%. However that error is fixed. So if you have a scale which gives readings 2% lower, your readings will always be lower by 2%.
Whats important is if your scale shows you have dropped from 20% fat to 10% fat, you have indeed lost 10% body fat. Seeing results is all that matters and this is all that can be expected of any home scale.

You can go for body fat measurements using calipers, etc to see how off your home scale is, but I think thats quite over the board, unless you are competing for mr. olympia

Edit - having said the above gyaan, i would still like to own the fat measuring digital caliper and already have it on my shopping list!!
Agree with what you've said Jassi. Infact I had made up my mind to buy a body fat scale from Hypercity. They had 2 models, did a trial on both.
One says my BF is around 18% and the other one (which was more expensive) said my BF is around 23%.

I just could not understand why the difference? It was done on the same day and under the same conditions under a span of 2-3 minutes.

So hence my conundrum.

From where are you planning to order your scale? Online or you have someone coming over from the US?

Cheers
Old 20th January 2010, 12:46   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Caveat Emptor: I haven't not read the complete thread. However, the few I see shows that many are taking Protein supplements.

I am not a doctor but an engineer that has now turned to Organics and Ayurveda.

All the doctors in West that I am in touch with are against these protein supplements rather they advocate building body mass and maintaining the same via food that you eat.

Eat on time, eat proper food and exercise that is the mantra for happy life.

As for people who really want to build up mussels and increase body weight. Try organic Ashwagandha Rasayana and Gokshura. You will be surprised to know that Gokshura was a staple taken by Russian Athletes but because the Olympics Drug administration was not able to understand the complete effect of the same made it as banned substance. Silly and pity that we Indians do not trust Ayurveda as the others in West.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd January 2010 at 16:13. Reason: Please continue to share knowledge, but avoid posting material regarding your company as that could be considered commercial.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:19   #2381
BHPian

@Sniper - so this is a product catalog !!!!!!

Can you explain how vegetarians such as me can benefit from ayurveda without trying to sell me something.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:39   #2382
Senior - BHPian

@spawnofsatan Bro, I said so that it was a product catalog but I am not trying to sell anything here. If you see there are no prices mentioned as we do not sell in India. We tried once but failed as people do not care for health, everyone is doctor by birth and organics is not what people care for.

The catalog has specific information in the initial pages that will help an individual assess their body and eat as per the body constituency. I am a convert and being from technical field do not believe till facts are replicated.

I hope my message is not taken as sellers view but as a peer view who has benefited greatly from the system.

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2010, 15:40   #2383
Senior - BHPian

My bodytype looks like a mix of kapha and pitta.
What relevance does that have in terms of ayurveda?
Old 20th January 2010, 16:03   #2384
Senior - BHPian

@Alpha1: The relevance to body type is that you can always prevent ailments that people suffer from regularly if you eat and take care of your body as per the body type.

Too much of sweets will result in sluggishness and weight gain also your temperament will be changed with seasons. I mean you do not like humid seasons while you might most favor winters.

I too am the same body type Kapha-Pitta. Again you can boost your immunity with little things like waking early in morning, eating on time and drinking enough water. Use two or three tulasi leaves in early morning 10 mins prior to breakfast and you will never catch cold and cough. Drink Turmeric milk at night and you will see that you will be more active, no joint pains and complexion will get fairer.

Tested example on my own. My wife (worst of pill poppers I have seen) was detected with Swine-flu after a trip to US while I was not, even though we went exactly at the same places and ate the same food.

My work involves organic and I can only promote that, rest Ayurveda is a general science if used properly with proper ingredients baffle many a westerners to make them actual promoters of the science. I have a doctor friend in Holland, he is 60 years and still he can lift weights that I can only dream of. His resting heart rate is 55 and mine does not go below 65 and I am only 31. I owe him a great deal as he is the one who brought me back to India and get back to basics.

Fact for the day: Did you know Triphala is not just a laxative but also helps reduce blood pressure by keeping the nerves, arteries and veins soft. I wonder not many family doctors know this. Simple as hell but we rather pop pills rather than drink triphala water/digest the powder.
Old 20th January 2010, 16:57   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

I just could not understand why the difference? It was done on the same day and under the same conditions under a span of 2-3 minutes.

So hence my conundrum.
like i said two different machines may show different readings - however if you stick to the same scale, the relative readings showing positive or negative changes in body fat will be a good indicator.

Quote:
From where are you planning to order your scale? Online or you have someone coming over from the US?

Cheers
I bought mine from US a few years ago for 50usd - brand was called homedics and it was a regular bathroom scale which shows weight, fat %age, bone density, muscle mass and water weight

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks