Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2021, 17:03   #106
BHPian

Re: The Woodworking Thread

I can share the most simple design although most of the Professionals may term it as poor. However, considering your basic skills and missing critical tools compounded with Lockdown which may make source building material difficult, see the attached drawing

The Woodworking Thread-shelf.jpg

I have used minimum of cuts. I still wonder how you eould source Ply Board and cut with Hack Saw Blade.

If you can make this arrangement which requires no rear board, you can add intermittent shelves to stack other things too.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 19:40   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post

I sit at the dining table to work and use a Plastic nilkamal chair which is taking a toll on my back. I need to address this issue at the earliest.

I have this computer table, but the space on it is not sufficient. I need to build a rack attached to this so that I can shift the spike buster, google home and the printer on top of it and use the space to keep my laptop to work. If space permits I might even get an additional monitor which will be useful for me.

Please suggest what sort of wood and tools I need to make this. I have a basic set of tools like hacksaw blade, drill gun with various sizes of bits and I am fairly good at handling power tools.

Please advise on how to source it online, how should I ensure a good finish to this new set up.
What is the current material the table is made of ? Is it MDF, particle board or plywood ?

Are you planning to attach the extra shelf to existing table ? You need to consider the existing strength material wise of the existing one first.

If you’re planning to make the extra shelves above current table, you would have to consider the aesthetics as well. You would need to buy 8 X4 or 7X3 sheet of minimum 12 mm commercial plywood. 4 or 6 mm ply for backing on the wall or use 12 mm only.

Then you would need to buy a close matching laminate of the existing table shade if you are looking at aesthetics. Fevicol Marine at least 2 kgs then paste the laminate and keep it pressed overnite to bond. Then a cutter machine with a fresh blade to cut the plywood sheet into required sizes. You will need regular nails and headless nails, screws etc. To finish the edges you will need to cut n paste the laminate or get a matching edge beading. To fix that its recommended to use PVC glue if you’re going for PVC edge beading along with a blade to shape the edges.

What you dont have in equipment can also be hired from the market on daily rent.

How are you going to manage all this in middle of lockdown you would need to figure out. If you just want functionality you may just source the plywood sheet and cut and fix also.

I personally would suggest you get a carpenter and get this done. Labour will be cheaper and it’ll get done faster. (Unless you have lots of time and energy on hand) Any more information please feel free to ask !

PS : I would suggest you get a proper chair first and use a lumbar support (can be brought from Amazon) Prolonged sitting will put lots of pressure on your discs.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 19:53   #108
BHPian

I understand that getting required materials would be a bit difficult besides necessary tools and expertise.
However, getting outside workers to work inside house, at this stage is not recommended.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 20:00   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs, but you will have to dumb it down for me.

1. What is a hutch ? Is it just a plain wood piece to support the top plank ?
2. How do I make a dowel hole ? I saw a few you tube videos, I think its a bit complicated for me.
3. Why cant I mark holes, align it and simply use screws to hold it in place.
4. Would it be a good idea to use rubber wood ? Something like this below.

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail...314810255.html
Hutch is the part above the table in the product I linked.
If your table is made out of particle board or plywood, I would not screw anything to it.
How do you plan to rip cut a 8'x4' plywood? You would need a table saw, or get someone to cut it.
Yeah for dowels, you need to make a jig and make matching holes on both pieces you are joining.

The 3 pieces you drew won't be enough, they will collapse sideways. Use another thin plywood at the back, and add another shelf to make it sturdy
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 21:15   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
What is the current material the table is made of ? Is it MDF, particle board or plywood ?

Are you planning to attach the extra shelf to existing table ? You need to consider the existing strength material wise of the existing one first.

What you dont have in equipment can also be hired from the market on daily rent.

How are you going to manage all this in middle of lockdown you would need to figure out. If you just want functionality you may just source the plywood sheet and cut and fix also.

I personally would suggest you get a carpenter and get this done. Labour will be cheaper and it’ll get done faster. (Unless you have lots of time and energy on hand) Any more information please feel free to ask !

PS : I would suggest you get a proper chair first and use a lumbar support (can be brought from Amazon) Prolonged sitting will put lots of pressure on your discs.
I have no clue what this table is made up of. This is a generic computer study table which we bought long time ago from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I understand that getting required materials would be a bit difficult besides necessary tools and expertise.
However, getting outside workers to work inside house, at this stage is not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Hutch is the part above the table in the product I linked.
If your table is made out of particle board or plywood, I would not screw anything to it.
How do you plan to rip cut a 8'x4' plywood? You would need a table saw, or get someone to cut it.
Yeah for dowels, you need to make a jig and make matching holes on both pieces you are joining.

The 3 pieces you drew won't be enough, they will collapse sideways. Use another thin plywood at the back, and add another shelf to make it sturdy
I thought this would be simple, but looks like a lot of work for which I do not have the time.

I am not too particular about the looks as long as it serves the purpose and looks a little presentable. I can probably put a nice table cloth.

I am planning to give correct dimensions to a known carpenter with a diagram and ask him to prepare it at his place. I will ask him to drop it off at my place and I will do the final fixing. That should be doable.

I have no plans of going out to shop for materials. I thought of sourcing all materials online. In case I need to return it for any reason, it will be time consuming and probably more expensive than hiring a carpenter.

Also, I am no expert at these things. I am a complete noob. I dont think I can cut the board in a straight line

I will start off my carpentry skills with something small over a period of time.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 9th May 2021 at 21:16.
girimajiananth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 13:17   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought this would be simple, but looks like a lot of work for which I do not have the time.

I am planning to give correct dimensions to a known carpenter with a diagram and ask him to prepare it at his place. I will ask him to drop it off at my place and I will do the final fixing. That should be doable.
In that case why not simply get a wall-mounted folding table like this and mount it on top of your current desk?
Old 14th July 2021, 05:02   #112
BHPian

I tried to make a brick wall patterned cutting board as a gift for someone. The bricks seem somewhat large, but I like the way the cut out for the handle turned out. I can see the dark walnut through the maple.
The Woodworking Thread-20210713_162840.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 10:07   #113
BHPian

A few weeks back I scored a 8ft long 700 year old slow growth redwood slab from the Humboldt area of California. Strapped it on to my truck, got it home and started working on it.

The Woodworking Thread-20210828_141837.jpg

I made a live edge waterfall coffee table

The Woodworking Thread-20210905_173346.jpg

Matte finish from Danish oil, showing the grains continuing to flow down. Super happy with the colors and character of redwood

The Woodworking Thread-20210905_173315.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

We have couple of these wall recess/shelf in the first floor of our house. We are thinking of converting it to bookshelves. Which one I should opt for adding 3 or 4 horizontal shelves, Plywood/MDF?
Attached Thumbnails
The Woodworking Thread-img_20211112_142846.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th November 2021 at 15:07.
Old 18th December 2021, 00:57   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We have couple of these wall recess/shelf in the first floor of our house. We are thinking of converting it to bookshelves. Which one I should opt for adding 3 or 4 horizontal shelves, Plywood/MDF?
Wish I saw your post sooner. What is the span here? How are you going to secure the horizontal plywood to the wall?
I would use plywood for span more than 3 ft, and make sure I cover the edges with edge banding strips to prevent moisture from warping it. Any larger span, and you would probably be better off having a vertical strip of plywood (in the middle) to take some of the load. You can then keep ceramic/clay pots or glassware and such without being worried about collapse. MDF weighs considerably more then plywood, and that may be a dealbreaker for your span.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 18th December 2021 at 00:58.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 10:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Which one I should opt for adding 3 or 4 horizontal shelves, Plywood/MDF?
Considering the humid climate of Kerala, MDF is prone to mold unless spray painted with Industrial coating. That too if any small edge is missed out on painting then mold will appear on that section. Being fed up, I made a vow to never use MDF for any kind of work in home.
sreerknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 07:42   #117
BHPian

I made a new dining table out of 2 big sister cut (from same tree) redwood slabs. Live edges on both sides, as I have cut out rectangles from both slabs, and glued them together, to show a mirrored pattern. The legs are made out of solid walnut as the slabs are 2.5 inches thick and weigh a ton.

The Woodworking Thread-20211002_171900.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 07:56   #118
BHPian

Quote:
In Kerala ply is anyday better than MDF. Try using solid wood, being in Kerala you will have access to a lot of wood, and it's not very expensive if you use local wood. Rather than regular shelves, try some patterns.
sugathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 23:49   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I made a new dining table out of 2 big sister cut (from same tree) redwood slabs. Live edges on both sides, as I have cut out rectangles from both slabs, and glued them together, to show a mirrored pattern.
You could get Butcher Block (Finished Table Top) of your choice, stain and polish to your own liking. Various types of Legs are also available for a quick job.
But a self crafted item is an item of pride and self satisfaction.
Old 10th January 2022, 10:03   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
You could get Butcher Block (Finished Table Top) of your choice, stain and polish to your own liking. Various types of Legs are also available for a quick job.
Good point. It won't be much of a hobby if I did it quick. It took me months to complete this project. It is hard to see the character of wood in that picture.
The Woodworking Thread-20210925_185906.jpg
The slabs I bought looked like this. The slabs alone were $450 each, and the table $2k. It's not a smart move in terms of, time, money, or effort.
The Woodworking Thread-20210828_141837.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks