Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 15:26   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I found some 100 grit sandpaper on Amazon. Will give it a shot
Get these from local shops - you dont have to wait. And you can feel the paper before you buy. Amazon sellers will include the shipping price in one way or other.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 16:06   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Get these from local shops - you dont have to wait. And you can feel the paper before you buy. Amazon sellers will include the shipping price in one way or other.
I am spoilt by Amazon - they give 1-day delivery. And I actually don't know what to feel on the paper as well. So placed the order for now. But yes, as I get little more understanding around this hobby, building friendship with the neighborhood hardware store will definitely help.
Old 4th February 2022, 22:01   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
If I do continue with this bad job of cutting using the hand saw, what options do I have to make this look clean and neat? Chisel and a file?

I will have more questions regarding the polish and finishing once I complete building it
Remember you never fail, but you succeed at finding a thousand ways that don't work. Here is what I recommend to make simple cuts.

Please note that I am not very familiar with the quality of these products, as I use similar products that I get in stores where I live. Just wanted to give you an idea of what you could get.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 4th February 2022 at 22:18.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 20:42   #139
BHPian

I did some carpentry work, with very basic tools, and pinewood planks, to create home audio system from the car stereo removed from my old car. Have posted it the DIY thread.
The Woodworking Thread-img_20220301_102835.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...io-system.html
jkrkrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 19:10   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone worked with the wood panels found in wood pallets ?

How is this wood, and your experiences, please
Old 10th March 2022, 03:22   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone worked with the wood panels found in wood pallets ? How is this wood, and your experiences, please
A lot depends on what you want to build. If you are going to build an outdoor shelf to keep plants/pots, this would work great. Just a coat of paint will cover all faults, holes etc.

You would have to spend some time picking pallets that do not have dry rot, or water damaged. From the pics I see online, it looks like the pallets used to ship CBU super bikes are awesome. They do not look like they have been used before.

Buy a good claw nail remover, so that you can separate the pallet with no additional damage. A decent palm sander to smoothen the surface. Some tools to joint the pieces if you need larger panels.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 06:58   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone worked with the wood panels found in wood pallets?

How is this wood, and your experiences, please
I tried to work on them. First of all they can be used for small items only because of their small size. The recovery rate of wood from them is 25-30%. There are nails and plenty of them. Even when removing them with utmost care, Wood breaks and the nails leave big marks. Quality of wood is generally not suitable for indoor decorative articles. Sanding alone cannot give a decent finish unless planed for consistent thickness / Width of strips.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 10:22   #143
BHPian

I understand that this is a wood working thread, but couldnt see any other thread where i could post this query

I am on the lookout for a Dining Table with chairs. We identified a table which has been made of Accacia wood along with chairs made of same wood. The top of the table is a live edge top (meaning the edges are not straight, but of haphazard shape). The other thing is that the top of the table is made of a total of 11 wood strips. Total width is about 40inches and the length is about 84inches. The table stands on X shaped legs (one on each side) and there are a total of 5 iron strips at the bottom which ties all the 11 strips together. The total weight of the table is about 100kgs and the metal legs are about 15 kgs. Also, the thickness of the top is about 6inches and the table looks absolutely sturdy. We had a couple of people stand on the table as well to see load capacity as well

Questions from my end

1. Is Accacia wood good for a dining table. I read through wood database and it says its a strong and dense wood. But i have not seen much being used at least by the likes of Pepperfry, Urbanladder, or some of the big online retailers

2. With multiple strips is there a chance of the wood cracking along the edges and also warping. Will cracks form or am i overcooking the issue

3. We plan to keep the table for a long duration. Our last table lasted about 20 years and this table we are planning to will be kept for at least 20 years if not more. The cot we have in our master bedroom is made of rosewood and is about 100 years old now. Given this, is this a good investment.

4. Lastly the quote we received for this is about INR 1.5lakhs with table+6chairs. Is it worth the cost.

Inputs into these questions will help us make a decision. The alternate was to get a similar table from FabIndia made out of Sheesham wood at a cost of about INR 1.3lakhs

Thanks in advance
Old 10th March 2022, 11:55   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
...4. Lastly the quote we received for this is about INR 1.5lakhs with table+6chairs. Is it worth the cost....
I don't have idea about your other questions but who on earth is quoting you 1.5lakh for a Sheesham (or Indian Rosewood) dining table?! Unless it has a marble top this is highly over-priced!!

Sheesham dining tables retail for 50-60k INR. Fancy ones can go for 75k max.
Check out local stores which provide extended warranty or lifetime warranty for Sheesham. HSR (in Banaglore) has few local stores; one which provides 5 year warranty and the other which provides life time warranty.

Avoid Royal Oak at all costs (had a really terrible experience with Sheesham bed).

You can also get fancy Sheesham dining tables at Home Center (but they provide only one year warranty).
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 11:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I don't have idea about your other questions but who on earth is quoting you 1.5lakh for a Sheesham (or Indian Rosewood) dining table?! Unless it has a marble top this is highly over-priced!!

Thanks for your inputs. My mistake. The rate was for table + 6 chairs. The table per se costs about 70k. The chairs are upholstered and costs about 13k per chair
Old 10th March 2022, 12:10   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. My mistake. The rate was for table + 6 chairs. The table per se costs about 70k. The chairs are upholstered and costs about 13k per chair
hi subraiyr, I feel this is still on the higher side.
For example take a look at this.

A complete Sheesham dining table+6 chairs with zero cushions or upholstery will cost ~Rs.50k in Shekhawati furniture or Sri Sai Furniture (both in HSR).
If you want extensive upholstery and different designs I'd suggest going for a shop which provides multi year warranty.

PS: Not associated with either commercial places in any way.
Old 10th March 2022, 16:35   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the thickness of the top is about 6 inches and the table looks absolutely sturdy. We had a couple of people stand on the table as well to see load capacity as well
I do not understand how and why the thickness of the table would be 6 inches. Probably there is an overhang of 6 inches around the edges of the top.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 23:54   #148
BHPian

Quote:
I understand that this is a wood working thread, but couldnt see any other thread where i could post this query
There is a Furniture thread, and in my opinion, discussions about price, and deals is more appropriate there, and you may get better responses there.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...office-11.html (The Furniture Thread (Home/Office))

General comment - untreated wood absorbs moisture. Acacia, sheesham or any wood for that matter, when taken care of annually with a water sealant will last forever. Gentle sanding with a brown paper bog, then a coat of poly - mixed 1:1 with a mineral spirit. Think of wood as a bundle of straws, if you get water into the straw, it will expand and cause a mess. Seal these straws hut, and things will be fine.

Also Amrik Singh has a point. Hardwood that is 6" thick would be insanely heavy, you would probably need a crane.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 11th March 2022 at 00:01.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 08:11   #149
BHPian

Thanks for the response. I checked with the seller and found out that it is 2inch. He had mentioned 6cm and I had taken it as 6 inches

Have posted the query in the other forum as well for better response
subraiyr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 18:16   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
You would have to spend some time picking pallets that do not have dry rot, or water damaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
The recovery rate of wood from them is 25-30%. There are nails and plenty of them.
I dropped in at one place that buys these pallets. Not the SBK shipping pallets - but other stuff. They separate the pieces, and looking at the way they are stacked, looks like they do sell them. Price quoted - Rs 25 per kg.

A intact pallet of about 3' x 3' x 6" was quoted at about Rs 825

Amrik bhai - I did see lot of damaged stuff piled up there.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks