Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2022, 10:29   #121
BHPian

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
The slabs I bought looked like this. The slabs alone were $450 each, and the table $2k. It's not a smart move in terms of, time, money, or effort.
I always used to find price of wood in US to be cheaper than India, but I guess that it only for construction wood which is sold pre-cut. I follow Blacktail Studio on Yotube and even he pointed out that the price of slabs has increased a lot in the recent past because of the demand for live-edge and epoxy tables. He told that those pieces were earlier just discarded as firewood but now command huge prices. What a turnaround!
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I always used to find price of wood in US to be cheaper than India, but I guess that it only for construction wood which is sold pre-cut.
Economies of scale. These slabs weigh a ton, hard to move, store, or transport. I bought this from a person who owns land near redwood national forest. All the money is for his labor, and storage. I know land owners who just chop up their trees to be firewood. It costs them too much, to take equipment up the hills, and transport logs to the road, from where it would be manageable. If I can hike up their hills, and make the slabs, it's free
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 16:10   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I follow Blacktail Studio on Yotube and even he pointed out that the price of slabs has increased a lot in the recent past because of the demand for live-edge and epoxy tables.
The price rise of construction lumber, as I was told was due to some infection on the lumber farms in Canada, where trees are grown for this purpose only. This had stopped the supply while the slight rise in the construction after Pandemic brought price rise.
Old 10th January 2022, 16:24   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
The price rise of construction lumber, as I was told was due to some infection on the lumber farms in Canada, where trees are grown for this purpose only. This had stopped the supply while the slight rise in the construction after Pandemic brought price rise.
Actually, what I was saying was something else. Construction lumber which is sold as 1x2s, 2x4s,4x4s is a lot cheaper volumetrically compares to slabs, especially if you go for longer and wider slabs. Construction lumber is also available at normal 'mass market' stores, whereas for these special slabs, one has to go to wood mills. And due to the demand and hype around live edge and epoxy tables, these slabs have become very costly while earlier these very slabs were discarded as firewood for even free. The guy I am talking about sells tables anywhere from $6000-12000 and the sometimes the slabs themselves cost him $4000.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 17:00   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, what I was saying was something else. Construction lumber which is sold as 1x2s, 2x4s,4x4s is a lot cheaper volumetrically compares to slabs. The guy I am talking about sells tables anywhere from $6000-12000 and the sometimes the slabs themselves cost him $4000.
Construction lumber is usually Douglas fir, or pine. The ones that people make slabs out of are slow growth, and old growth Redwood. The grains are much more tighter. The seller claimed my slabs are from 400+ year old trees. It would cost thousands if sold in a store. At the exotic wood store, I have seen slabs for $25k to $50k. Wenge, Zebrano, Teak, Rose, and such imported hardwood.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 06:56   #126
BHPian

All the things that give me joy in one picture. Made a new wooden planter, to grow succulents, with the company of my buddy. Instead of looking for pots of the right size that fit the decor, it is just so much easier for me to put together wood leftover from other projects into something that can hold soil & plants.

The Woodworking Thread-planter.jpeg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 26th January 2022 at 07:08.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 08:55   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

That is one nice looking planter. Blends with the interior very well.

One question. Won't the wood start to rot due to constant exposure to moisture in the soil?
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 10:28   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

One question. Won't the wood start to rot due to constant exposure to moisture in the soil?
Good question. Inside the planter I have stapled a plastic sheet and drilled 5 holes in the bottom (plastic and wood) for drainage.

We also build outdoor decks and fences with cedar wood, and coat it with water sealant. For the exterior of these planters, I have one coat of such a water sealant.

These are succulents, that need watering once a month, so any water that comes in contact with wood gets a chance to dry. The previous planter I built 3 years back is still intact. That said, I am always looking for household projects, I will be glad to rebuild a new planter. These are experimental designs that may very well fail.
Old 26th January 2022, 16:43   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
That is one nice looking planter. Blends with the interior very well.

Your question has been answered well above.
Another reason for the wood not disintegrating is that even the nails / screws used are coated against rusting, which affects the wood in contact adversely. Even the wood is treated unless it is construction lumber.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 20:37   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Your question has been answered well above.
Another reason for the wood not disintegrating is that even the nails / screws used are coated against rusting, which affects the wood in contact adversely. Even the wood is treated unless it is construction lumber.
I don't use regular nails or screws as it looks crude. I used waterproof glue, titebond premium. The miter cut planter faces are clamped using Brad nails while the glue dries. Once the glue dries, it's stronger than wood. Like Fevicol.

It is regular whitewood, not chemically treated plywood used outdoors. I do not want the plants/roots to be harmed by the chemicals. The outer surface of planter I coated with a sealant. I water the plants carefully using a wand. I do not wet the planter like a ceramic pot. Moreover, I don't want to mop the floor.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:13   #131
BHPian

Hello!

I am a complete noob when it comes to woodworking. But want to build this as a hobby. I stay in an apartment, so don't have a seperate "worskhop" kind of place. But maybe one day...

To start, I was thinking of making a desk lamp. I have few peices of wood from an easle that broke. Its a 4ft long thin piece of wood. It looks like some sort of particle board to me, but should be good for me to start.

The Woodworking Thread-pxl_20220204_061525174.jpg

What I need help with is tools - what can I use to cut the wood, easily and neatly. I tried using a hand saw, but as you can see the result was quite disastrous. I don't want to invest in power tools right away, but is that the only option?
The Woodworking Thread-cut.jpg

If I do continue with this bad job of cutting using the hand saw, what options do I have to make this look clean and neat? Chisel and a file?

I will have more questions regarding the polish and finishing once I complete building it

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:38   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
If I do continue with this bad job of cutting using the hand saw, what options do I have to make this look clean and neat? Chisel and a file?
From my basic knowledge of similar work: That wood must not be hard. A file will be useful to smoothen it. For cutting, a hand saw should be fine - this one is not too long. Hand saw will not be easy if the length of the cut is too much (even beyond 5-6 inches, and 12mm ply sheet types).

A fine sand-paper, and some sheenlac polish would be the basics for the polishing part. Do remember that the polish will smell for a long time, so avoid doing the polishing immed after having food. And keep the polished wood outside in the balcony for a day before you bring it inside. (What I had done for our 40 yr old easy chair).

As you proceed with your hobby, a 10mm drill kit will be helpful. I recently got a Bosch kit and have already started with the odd job.

Last edited by condor : 4th February 2022 at 12:40.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 14:38   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From my basic knowledge of similar work: That wood must not be hard. A file will be useful to smoothen it. For cutting, a hand saw should be fine - this one is not too long. Hand saw will not be easy if the length of the cut is too much (even beyond 5-6 inches, and 12mm ply sheet types).
Thank you very much for your guidance.

I realized that what I was using was actually a hack saw. Maybe a handsaw will have slightly better finish?

Any idea if this is a good option? Or would you suggest something else?

Quote:
A fine sand-paper, and some sheenlac polish would be the basics for the polishing part.
Which sand-paper should I use? Is there a guide on which grit is used where?

Also, any link from where I can get the sheenlac polish?

Quote:
As you proceed with your hobby, a 10mm drill kit will be helpful. I recently got a Bosch kit and have already started with the odd job.
Ah! I actually have this. Never used it so far. I hope I make good use of it now
Old 4th February 2022, 14:44   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

That B&D can be fair option. Local ones are available in the local markets for as low as 200-250, but just the saw. Dont know how long they will last.

Sheenlac - any hardware shop. Sandpaper - same place. Lower the number, rougher it is. I used 200 or 400 number sandpaper for our easy chair - but that was just to get the accumulated dust off.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 15:19   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Sheenlac - any hardware shop. Sandpaper - same place. Lower the number, rougher it is. I used 200 or 400 number sandpaper for our easy chair - but that was just to get the accumulated dust off.
Thanks once again. I am limiting stepping out/going to stores. Hence was interested in online links.

I found some 100 grit sandpaper on Amazon. Will give it a shot

Looks like I'll have a productive weekend

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks