Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:27   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Nice stuff Sonu!

It actually ties in well with what i wanted to post (a woodworking album from Facebook):

The Woodworking Thread-w74976_580319445453556_4997738713768441449_n.jpg

The Woodworking Thread-w12814535_580319538786880_65665497105556407_n.jpg

The Woodworking Thread-w12832560_580319308786903_376993318461690615_n.jpg

The Woodworking Thread-w8243_580319658786868_8398956726989034499_n.jpg

LINK TO MORE PICS
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 11:00   #32
BHPian

Question to wood workers in Bengaluru - Any idea where to buy wood in small quantities?
Thanks.
Old 20th April 2017, 11:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Question to wood workers in Bengaluru - Any idea where to buy wood in small quantities?
Thanks.
You can buy pallet wood. I pay Rs 23 / per kg here around Mumbai.
Do read about precautions about pallet wood on net before doing so.
I use pallet wood extensively and pick every length myself and after thorough visual checks for anything funny. I prefer picking runner lengths that have been removed from pallets, have no funny smell or stains, free from any type of infestation marks and then spray bleach (water & bleach mixed) on them at home and let them dry before using.

Regards-Sonu
Old 20th April 2017, 17:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
You can buy pallet wood....
Thank you for the input sir!

I had a small question - Is it more difficult to cut pallet wood using a hand saw as compared to Plywood? I do not have much knowledge on wood types and their various uses, thus this question.

I might be completely wrong here, but just like cutting, is it more difficult to put nails in pallet wood?

Is my understanding correct that pallet wood is extensively used for packaging machines and other items for transportation purposes?
Old 21st April 2017, 11:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I had a small question - Is it more difficult to cut pallet wood using a hand saw as compared to Plywood?
Pine, Rosewood is hard to cut.
Thumb-rule: Don't buy wood with knots or which is bent, twisted, have lots of nail marks or was roughly removed or have broken edges.

MAPLE & BEECH (not BIRCH) are pretty common. MAPLE is the pretty easy to work upon and one of my favorite. It comes in very light shade and hence can be easily sanded, polished and/or stained. As I like to enhance wood grains, I generally stain the woods in different eclectic shades.

I use STANLEY handsaws but for lengthy cuts, I use marble cutter with wood cutting circular blade. Be very cautious when using power tools. Do watch some woodworking videos on net before using power tools.

Regards-Sonu
Old 21st April 2017, 15:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Pine, Rosewood is hard to cut.
Thumb-rule: Don't buy wood with knots or which is bent, twisted, have lots of nail marks or was roughly removed or have broken edges.

MAPLE & BEECH (not BIRCH) are pretty common. MAPLE is the pretty easy to work upon and one of my favorite. It comes in very light shade and hence can be easily sanded, polished and/or stained. As I like to enhance wood grains, I generally stain the woods in different eclectic shades.

I use STANLEY handsaws but for lengthy cuts, I use marble cutter with wood cutting circular blade. Be very cautious when using power tools. Do watch some woodworking videos on net before using power tools.

Regards-Sonu
Pine wood is a soft wood and is relatively easier to cut as opposed to Rosewood which is a hardwood and more difficult to cut.
The density of the wood defines whether the wood is soft or hardwood.
Pinewood can also be cut by a hacksaw.
Not all knots are bad. Only dead knots are. A lot of people like the knotty texture in timber and it adds to the character of the timber.

Excellent thread. Will be glued to it.
Old 21st April 2017, 17:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
Offtopic somewhat guys. Been always wanting to make a table like this -

Attachment 1295136

What kinda wood would I need for something like this?
Pine, Spruce, Fir or even yellow cedar wood planks would be good for this kind of requirement. Open pore P.U / Water based finish with a stain would give you this kind of a look.
Pine wood should be easily available in the market or with saw-millers that import for packing / pallets
Old 21st April 2017, 17:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Thanks.

Though I have never bought any, have notices a few wholesale shops on the road from Bamboo Bazaar till the Coles Park Signal (Near Bangalore Cantonment Railway Station).
Old 21st April 2017, 19:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Regards-Sonu
Please stop using the marble cutter on wood. I have seen many local carpenters doing the same and it is very dangerous. The marble cutter runs at 11000-14000 rpm and that is too high for wood. In case of a kick back, it can result in a severe injury.
A man was trying to remove a stump with his angle grinder (same RPM and size) and ended up cutting his throat when kickback occurred.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Pine wood is a soft wood and is relatively easier to cut as opposed to Rosewood which is a hardwood and more difficult to cut.
Not all knots are bad. Only dead knots are. A lot of people like the knotty texture in timber and it adds to the character of the timber.
@Kontoo: Thank and appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Please stop using the marble cutter on wood. I have seen many local carpenters doing the same and it is very dangerous. The marble cutter runs at 11000-14000 rpm and that is too high for wood. In case of a kick back, it can result in a severe injury.
I completely agree and I think I must take this as final warning to start using wood saw. In fact I already have one but find it too bulky for DIY jobs.

Regards-Sonu
Old 27th June 2017, 13:38   #41
BHPian

Awesome thread. Great work there @ariesonu. I am a total newbie and still can't get my head around to understanding the basics. It would be great if you can guide me on that. I would like to know how to start, types of wood, how to cut, how to polish etc. Any reference to reading/learning material available online will help.
Old 7th July 2017, 16:25   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantRebel View Post
Awesome thread. Great work there @ariesonu. I am a total newbie and still can't get my head around to understanding the basics. It would be great if you can guide me on that. I would like to know how to start, types of wood, how to cut, how to polish etc. Any reference to reading/learning material available online will help.
Look up these youtube channels:
Steve Ramsey - Easier projects
Matthias Wandel
John Heisz
jimmydiresta

Let me know if you need more. I follow a few good woodworkers on youtube and would be happy to share the full list if your interested. You will ofcourse have to get used to the fact that they all use table saws, and not all the cuts they can make can be made using a circular saw or a hand saw (unless you have ninja skills).
Old 7th July 2017, 16:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
Look up these Youtube channels:
Steve Ramsey - Easier projects
Matthias Wandel
John Heisz
jimmydiresta

Let me know if you need more. I follow a few good woodworkers on Youtube and would be happy to share the full list if your interested. You will ofcourse have to get used to the fact that they all use table saws, and not all the cuts they can make can be made using a circular saw or a hand saw (unless you have ninja skills).
Also try out the channels of these people:

Frank Howarth
Jay Bates
April Wilkerson
Ana White
Chris Salomone
Marius Hornberger
Nick Ferry

All of the western woodworkers make extensive use of table saw, jointers, planers and other machines.

But if you want to learn about how to use hand tools, do watch the channel of Paul Sellers.
Old 10th July 2017, 16:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know if you need more. I follow a few good woodworkers on Youtube and would be happy to share the full list if your interested. You will ofcourse have to get used to the fact that they all use table saws, and not all the cuts they can make can be made using a circular saw or a hand saw (unless you have ninja skills).
@theSandman Thanks. I will start looking into these videos. wood cutting is the biggest challenge that i see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also try out the channels of these people:

Frank Howarth
Jay Bates
April Wilkerson
Ana White
Chris Salomone
Marius Hornberger
Nick Ferry

All of the western woodworkers make extensive use of table saw, jointers, planers and other machines.

But if you want to learn about how to use hand tools, do watch the channel of Paul Sellers.
@blackasta, thanks for your suggestions
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi RR, Let me know what kind of things you would like to attempt?
Since I m a hobbyist, I can do furniture items but cannot do DESIGNER stuff like engraving, lattice work etc.

Quote:
Steve Ramsey, Matthias Wandel, John Heisz, jimmydiresta
I love Diresta work, this guy is nuts. However most of them are accomplished woodworkers and have tools & machines that would cost fortune in India.

Regards-Sonu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks