Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 11:54   #556
BHPian

Hi guys,

Can someone explain the following -

1. In a brushless motor what does kv rating means. While selecting a brushless motor what should one look at other than no. of turns (ex 10.5T).

2. What is a Drag brake.

Thanks,
Manu Chawla
Old 6th June 2009, 05:34   #557

Hey Manu,
kv is very simple.

Brushless motors operate on a rotating magnetic field and the stator is the magnet.

The ESC produces rotating magnetic fields based on voltage given to it.

when motor says 3,300kv. it means it will add 3,300RPM with ever increase in voltage.

for 10 Volts example , the motor rpm at full throtle will be 330,000.

Why it important : unlike brushed motors , brushless motors are very sensitive to their rpm and its application. They maintain their RPM at a voltage.

So in case of buuggy / truggy /monster truck / helicopter etc where ever you use , you need to know you Gear Ratio. Back track it . Get to know the motor pinion RPM.

Here is one of the famous links to calculate the gear ratio.

Then figure out the voltage you want to drive your system and get to know the KV.

Remember , higher voltage setups are much more efficent than low voltage setups. As you know current needs to be less to deliver same power.

So typically if you looking for great mind blowing setups go with 6S lipo 1s = 3.7 volts total 22.2v at that even at 50 amps you will get crazy power.

Also remember in Brushless motor there are various sizes.

S, L , XL

USE this link to Calculate SPEED based on KV you can also back track
R/C Calculations
Old 6th June 2009, 19:51   #558
Senior - BHPian

So here's my first Truggy, the Thunder Tiger ST-1. I would say well build for the price, reviews claim it can directly enter the racing scene without much hopups. The PRO kit is a killer.

However no match for the Losi 8ight truggy in build quality. I had to add a rear wing from the PRO kit as the RTR doesnt come with a standalone wing. Broke in and ran a few tanks.

Will be meeting up with a few heli and monster truck guys tomorrow. Hope I am not disappointed. If I can get half of what Mura's 8ight does, I will be happy.

Few pics after a cleanup.
Attached Thumbnails
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img_4770.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img_4771.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img_4769.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img_4768.jpg  

Old 6th June 2009, 23:02   #559
Senior - BHPian

hey guys! i'm new to this thread. I wanna make my own RC nitro car. How do i go about it? How much money will i have to shell out in all?
Old 7th June 2009, 10:36   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
So here's my first Truggy, the Thunder Tiger ST-1. I would say well build for the price, reviews claim it can directly enter the racing scene without much hopups. The PRO kit is a killer.

However no match for the Losi 8ight truggy in build quality. I had to add a rear wing from the PRO kit as the RTR doesnt come with a standalone wing. Broke in and ran a few tanks.

Will be meeting up with a few heli and monster truck guys tomorrow. Hope I am not disappointed. If I can get half of what Mura's 8ight does, I will be happy.

Few pics after a cleanup.
Looks Good, Try getting lower profile tires like the new Proline LPR 3.7 Bow tie and a nice steering servo like this:

[SCAHDS-9960MG] Scanner RC 9960MG Digital Metal Gear Servo w/Heat Sink

BTW i am getting this in a month.

MBX-6T Pictures
Old 7th June 2009, 21:24   #561
Senior - BHPian

My brakes seem to be really hard. The wheels hardly moves freely when in idle position (engine shut). The wheels free up only when I pull the throttle (engine shut). In my other truck there is nut to adjust brakes, I dont see one here.

Please advise on how to lossen and set the brakes properly.

Here is how it came from the box. Looks like it has 2 brakes, I see 2 linkages.
Attached Thumbnails
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img_4785.jpg  

Old 7th June 2009, 21:49   #562
Senior - BHPian

what about RC choppers..or jets both electric and nitro's any one has one of them?
Old 7th June 2009, 23:35   #563
BHPian

@ Puneet: Thanks for explaining the things man. It has made alot of thing clear in my head. Now I can evaluate and compare the some setups.

@ Vinay: There are few people on Team BHP who have actually flown R/C jets with real miniature turbine engines.
Old 8th June 2009, 09:07   #564
BHPian

Mumbai's first RC event finally happened. It was on the BRC track in Panvel. Saturday was qualifying and sunday was race day.

Good turnout of buggys and monster trucks.

The catagories that happened were:

Electric open
1/8 buggy/truggy Nitro Open
1/8 monster truck Nitro open
1/5 petrol

Will post a detailed review with a lot of pics in 2 days. Just waiting for the photographs to come in.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:51   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My brakes seem to be really hard.
Please advise on how to lossen and set the brakes properly.
Sorry, Please ignore. I got excellent help from Thunder Tiger support. Solved issue.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:08   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, Please ignore. I got excellent help from Thunder Tiger support. Solved issue.

Do you know you can adjust brake bias? , between front and back?

I run slight rear bias so i can get the rear end slide around corners.

Front bias helps in stability by being more stable and less chance of a spin.

Run rear bias only if you have good car control and a fast steering servo.
Old 8th June 2009, 15:23   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
Do you know you can adjust brake bias? , between front and back?
I thought so because I see 2 brake linkages. I just set them equally for now. Should work fine, right? Will try them as I get advanced.

I must say braking is quite sharp compared to my monster truck and the car turns good too without flipping over. Believe me, I didnt take the monster truck out for 2 weeks. I like driving this better.

I thought monster trucks are the best form of surface RCs. Mura, you converted me to a truggy lover.

With the track getting ready on the ECR (silver sands resort), I must learn to drive better. I am a poor driver now.
Old 8th June 2009, 15:33   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
Hi guys.. I have bought a HPI E-firestorm 10T, my second R/C car .
And as usual I ran in to problem. Why cant thing be straight in my life!!!

So i am turning to you guys for help.

On giving throttle (Forward/Reverse) the motor is working but the power is not being transferred to wheels. I believe its a transmission failure. Am I right or there can be something else that I need to look into?

On sudden throttle I can see some spark in the motor. Is it normal?

Hey ! Even I bought a HPI E-Firestorm 10T recently. I had some initial teething problems. But after some adjustments to slipper clutch, the car is running very smooth.

Initially there were lot of sparks inside the motor, but once I completed the motor break-in, the sparks were almost gone.
Old 8th June 2009, 20:24   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Hey ! Even I bought a HPI E-Firestorm 10T recently. I had some initial teething problems. But after some adjustments to slipper clutch, the car is running very smooth.

Initially there were lot of sparks inside the motor, but once I completed the motor break-in, the sparks were almost gone.
I still havent got time to rectify my E-Firestorm 10t. I am also look at some hop-ups to make it track worthy (even though I am a very bad driver).
Old 9th June 2009, 09:02   #570

Hi All,

I am an "on the border" RC fan from Mumbai working as a Financials Analyst and I need some help getting in to this hobby.
First of all I chose this thread because it is the longest one on RC in India and secondly because I read some very experienced responses.

Ok, i am almost convinced to buy a HPI Baja 5b but there are 2 problems (please keep in mind that this will be my first RC)

First, The dealer in Mumbai is selling it for around 75k and i have very limited options to get it from Abroad - So do you have suggestions to reduce cost?

Second, i got to know about some baja clones like Kingmotors and Rovan baja. What is your opinion on them and i am ok with replacing it with HPI parts as and when they break.

Thank guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks