Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 10:46   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_Rapid View Post
First, The dealer in Mumbai is selling it for around 75k and i have very limited options to get it from Abroad - So do you have suggestions to reduce cost?
Cant do much about this. That the price running in India. Check for an import option through some contacts. Guess its about $1400 in Singapore RTR version.

Quote:
Second, i got to know about some baja clones like Kingmotors and Rovan baja. What is your opinion on them and i am ok with replacing it with HPI parts as and when they break.Thank guys
Mura said he saw the King motors, but wasnt very impressed. Lot of forums are not very happy with the parts quality. But again where you buy in India? As far as I know, no one is selling the clones in India currently.

If even if you get it abroad, you will end upgrading to HPI parts someday. So I feel its better to get the original, but from abroad if you want to save money and not worried about warranty and India spares availability etc.

The Baja considered to be a very powerful and reliable RC car. Do lots of reading before you venture you.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 9th June 2009 at 10:48.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:48   #572
Senior - BHPian

I did have the clones and was not happy at all. bad build quality.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:25   #573
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys !

I am Rahul from Mumbai. Just came across this forum accidentally but found it interesting. I used to drive a Tamiya Grasshopper as a kid. Recently I bought a HPI E-Firestorm 10T and its powered by Tenergy Propel 4500mah NimH battery. Planning to upgrade to brushless system after monsoon.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-dsc01062.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-dsc00191.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-dsc00192.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-dsc00193.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-dsc00194.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-dsc01060.jpg  

Old 10th June 2009, 08:45   #574

Thanks for you replies guys.
@Ajo - I am not buying the chinese RC from India it will have to be imported from China and therefore carries a shipping charge of US$150. I saw the Baja 5b and 5T yesterday and they are extremely impressive but i got a perception that, though it is tough, it is not a fun/stunts car. Additionally i know someone (a friend) in Beijing who has a spare baja clone and can get it for me. I will just have to pay for upgrades that i put into it.
@Iceman - Where did you buy your clones from, India? And i am certain that it was the Kingmotors baja but what i am talking about Rovan motor's baja 29cc for $550.
Below are the details of what they are offering:
1. 29CC engine (with upgrade clutch bell)
2. 22KG metal gear steering servo
3. 13KG metal throttle servo
4. alloy gear differential cover
5. upgrade diff shaft, drive axle, drive shaft
6. off-road tires(front) and knobby tires(rear) with heavyduty beadlock ring
7. new material for body
8. disc brake protector set
9. sway bar set
10. alloy roll cage and alloy racing lower rail set
11. exhaust pipe and rear shock mount plate
12. common FM40 two channel transmitter
13. general tools bag, multi tool, mixed fuel ratio can, repair bag, a set of oil bags, lama tool

Guys this involves big money so I need your opinion badly.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th June 2009 at 12:06. Reason: [FONT] [COLOR] and other tags removed. Please see the ANNOUNCEMENTS section for a thread regarding this problem. Thanks.
Old 10th June 2009, 21:14   #575
BHPian

Hi, I used to play with electric RC cars when i was a kid, but never got into it later. I recently had fun with a friends baja. now i really want to get one of my own.

Being an amatuer and not knowing whether i will have ongoing interest in this, i dont wanna spend too much and get bored later on.

So right now max that i wanna invest is about 25 - 30K.

Are there any good petrol or nitro offroad models available here for that price?? and which one would you suggest?? Petrol or nitro or electric??

if nitro, wat is the fuel required and where would I be able to get it??

it has to be an offroad model. has to be below 30K.

Would be really helpful if any of you could point me in the direction of some shops where i can find something which matches the above criteria
Old 11th June 2009, 13:05   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ4647 View Post
Hi, I used to play with electric RC cars when i was a kid, but never got into it later. I recently had fun with a friends baja. now i really want to get one of my own.

Being an amatuer and not knowing whether i will have ongoing interest in this, i dont wanna spend too much and get bored later on.

So right now max that i wanna invest is about 25 - 30K.

Are there any good petrol or nitro offroad models available here for that price?? and which one would you suggest?? Petrol or nitro or electric??

if nitro, wat is the fuel required and where would I be able to get it??

it has to be an offroad model. has to be below 30K.

Would be really helpful if any of you could point me in the direction of some shops where i can find something which matches the above criteria

There are many brands now available in India. Some of them are
HPI Racing, Thunder Tiger, GS Racing, CEN Racing, Traxxas.

As per your budget Petrol driven cars will be expensive. You can go for nitro or electric. According to my experience HPI cars are very durable and you can get a good off-roader under 30K.

Electric cars are clean to run and easier to maintain but if you want speed, realistic sound n smoke like real cars, then nitro is for you.

You can check out following websites for details :
BOMBAY R/C MODELS
www.rcskybobby.com
RCDhamaka
TRITECH International
Indian Hobbies, The Hobby Portal
Old 11th June 2009, 16:20   #577
BHPian

I would suggest you drop the idea of getting a petrol car if it doesnt fit in your budget. Getting a clone is of no use (even with the upgrades).

Why dont you get yourself a nice 1/8 scale monster truck?
Old 11th June 2009, 16:46   #578
Senior - BHPian

There was a R/c Race meet in Mumbai last weekend. I couldn't attend as was out of town. Did anyone attend ? If yes, can you post a brief report as to how was it and the brands & cars present. A few pics would be good to give an idea as to how was it.
Old 11th June 2009, 17:42   #579

@RPM - I agree with you that way I will not have to wait too long. I am just trying to reduce the cost, if possible, and I have managed something (apart from clones), will let everyone know if it works. Actually 5B is just on the edge of my budget. Which 1/8 do you suggest? One from the HPI Savage family?

@RM - I have heard a little bit about last Sunday's event from one of the guys who participated. That information along with what I have read online says that, it was all out HPI cars. Categories were: Electric, 1/8 Buggy/truggy Nitro, 1/8 Monster truck Nitro, 1/5 petrol upto 26cc.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th June 2009 at 17:48. Reason: removed font & color tags
Old 11th June 2009, 18:57   #580
Senior - BHPian

They are different type of offroad vehicles available in the market. Each for a specific type of driving.

If you just like to bash and run it anywhere you like, climb small hills, jump and stop at nothing, look out for a monster truck. The popular ones in 1/8 scale are HPI Savage, Thunder Tiger SledgeHammer, Losi Aftershock etc. You should be able to get one between 28-35K.

If you like more speed and one that handles better, go for a truggy. Truggies have the reliability of a monster truck and speeds closer to a buggy. You can do lots of jump, take sharp turns etc and still be planted on the road. You can also consider a stadium truck. The popular ones in 1/8 scale are Losi 8ight, Thunder Tiger ST-1, Ofna/Hobao Hyper ST, HPI Hellfire etc. Budgets vary from 24k to 40K depending on brand.

Buggies are fast and handle great, but require decent places to drive. They have much lower clearance.

Hope this is useful info in layman's words from a newbie in the hobby.
Old 12th June 2009, 11:21   #581
BHPian

The Savage is the most popular monster truck on the planet. Also look at the Losi Aftershock if you are on a budget. The TT's are not as reliable, and the build quailty is not great.

If you are looking at truggies get the losi 8ight or the HPI hellfire.

My personal choice would be a monster truck.

Will post a detailed report with pics of the race soon
Old 12th June 2009, 12:51   #582

I think, all-in-all it is monster trucks that everyone is suggesting and any one from the Savage family seems like a good option, particularly the XL. I will be visiting the race track in Mumbai on next Sunday, so should place the order after that.

Just one last question and after this, it will directly be un-boxing pictures!!
Question is - What are the disadvantages of getting a HPI car from abroad, specifically in terms of warranty?
Old 12th June 2009, 15:51   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think, all-in-all it is monster trucks that everyone is suggesting and any one from the Savage family seems like a good option, particularly the XL. I will be visiting the race track in Mumbai on next Sunday, so should place the order after that.

Just one last question and after this, it will directly be un-boxing pictures!!
Question is - What are the disadvantages of getting a HPI car from abroad, specifically in terms of warranty?
Well I got my HPI E-Firestorm from abroad. They only give you warranty on electronics for 1 year. Physical damage is not considered. I found that dealers here also provide 1 year warranty. I got from abroad because its 60% cheaper then here. I had many other brand options but went for HPI as its officially available in India and so spares can be easily available. I have been abusing by truggy heavily but still haven't had any problems.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:37   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
The Savage is the most popular monster truck on the planet. Also look at the Losi Aftershock if you are on a budget. The TT's are not as reliable, and the build quailty is not great.
If you are looking at truggies get the losi 8ight or the HPI hellfire.
TTs are behind HPI and Losi in quality, but that doesnt make them unreliable. The Sledgehammer is sold as the Associated MGT in US and is the closest competition to the Savage.

You can go for the Losi 8ight if you have the budget. The new version is quite expensive and comes with all the goodies like a starter box. As advised by many users and experts, avoid the Hellfire. Its a first generation truggy, heavy and expensive to maintain. A new truggy is expected from HPI shortly.

If you are on a lower budget, you can consider the TT ST-1. Its much better built than the more expensive TT monster trucks. Its not very popular, but has great reviews from actual users. The PRO version is even better.

Quote:
I think, all-in-all it is monster trucks that everyone is suggesting and any one from the Savage family seems like a good option, particularly the XL.
I would also seriously suggest an upmarket truggy. I too felt MTs were the last thing in RCs. I was proved wrong when I saw a small demo of the 8ight. Truggies can move really fast, corner well and still take the abuse, MTs can. Speak with Mura, he is an all out truggy man.

Quote:
What are the disadvantages of getting a HPI car from abroad, specifically in terms of warranty?
I feel there are no disadvantages in getting it abroad if you can save some money. I believe warranty is the same, only for electronics. (Correct if wrong)
Old 13th June 2009, 10:52   #585

I would suggest buying the Losi 8T or Inferno St in the Truggy class which has a good built and great handling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks