Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 20:40   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
My first accident in RC. I busted the shock of the Sparrowhawk after a very fast hit. Luckily only the oil leaked away. I disassembled the whole thing to rebuild only to realize that I didnt have the shock oil.

I assembled it as per manual. Is it ok to run it like that till I fill the oil? Will it harm any other components? Also what type of shock oil do I need to get and what quatity?

GS Racing Pure Silicone Shock Oil - 500cps (2oz) - Rs.140.80 : RCDhamaka
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:19   #482
BHPian

Are there any good shops/web sites in India from where i can buy a R/C Plane in a reasonable budget?
Old 23rd March 2009, 15:24   #483
Senior - BHPian

jatin,, try the toy shop in somajiguda. I have seen some RC choopers and planes there, but found them to be a bit expensive. It is on the first floor and is call "mera toy shop" i think.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:17   #484
BHPian

Here are a few pics of the HPI Racing Savage XL.( Sorry for the bad quality)

XL Box with E-savage

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00070200903211352.jpg

XL with exhaust deflector

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00071200903211353.jpg

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00072200903211353.jpg

5.9 big block engine

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00073200903211353.jpg

e-savage vs XL

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00076200903211355.jpg
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00077200903211355.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00074200903211354.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-img00078200903211355.jpg  

Old 24th March 2009, 20:23   #485
BHPian

Need help in tuning.

Hi Guys

Finally finished the break-in process on my savage 3.5. Thanks for all the help that I received from you guys. I couldnt have done without it. I would request you guys to help me finish the tuning process.

Current Situation - Finished with 6 tanks in total. Running on 20% nitro and using synthetic oil specifically for R/C. Now trying to tune it for maximum performance. Current setting of needles

1. High speed needle setting - 1 1/8 clockwise from factory flush settings. (Note: HPI recommends not to turn it more than 1 1/2 from flush setting). I have tried 1 1/4 setting but it boggs down the engine so turned the needle 1/8 anti clockwise.

2. Low Speed Needle Setting - 1/8 clockwise from factory flush settings. After tuning the high speed needle i have turned the low speed needle for the bottom end performance. But still i am not seeing the acceleration that should be there.

3. Ideal Setting - Need to set it every time when i start the my truck for first time in the day else as soon as I touch the brake engine stalls. I do this setting when engine has ran for 2 min on slightly higher RPM.

There are some other visual things that I see.
1. On hard accelaration there is blue smoke from the exhaust.
2. There is blue smoke from exhaust beyond half throttle.
3. Exhaust is spitting steady oil when truck accelerate. (I can see line of oil on floor once truck accelerate from stand still)
4. Engine is not shifting to 2nd gear. Tried full throttle while holding the truck on stand but still it didnt shift into 2nd gear.
5. On current setting i have tried running my in mud and garvel. When it get stuck on a stone or dirt, and on full throttle it stalls. Is it normal?

I assume if truck is properly tuned then it can pull a wheelie.

Sorry for such a long mail. But I though its better to tell all the symtoms to the doctor clearly so they can diagnose the problem.

Will try to post some pics ASAP.
Old 24th March 2009, 22:10   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post

1. On hard accelaration there is blue smoke from the exhaust.
2. There is blue smoke from exhaust beyond half throttle.
3. Exhaust is spitting steady oil when truck accelerate. (I can see line of oil on floor once truck accelerate from stand still)
4. Engine is not shifting to 2nd gear. Tried full throttle while holding the truck on stand but still it didnt shift into 2nd gear.
5. On current setting i have tried running my in mud and garvel. When it get stuck on a stone or dirt, and on full throttle it stalls. Is it normal?

I assume if truck is properly tuned then it can pull a wheelie.

Sorry for such a long mail. But I though its better to tell all the symtoms to the doctor clearly so they can diagnose the problem.

Will try to post some pics ASAP.
All the above points to a Very rich Mixture on both low and hi.

Lean out the Hi speed needle 1/2 turn and the low by 1/4.
Old 24th March 2009, 22:30   #487
BHPian

Thanks Mura, I will try the new setting tomorrow and will post the detail analysis.

I am trying to upload the pics but team bhp server is not responding. Anyone of you experiencing the same prob.
Old 25th March 2009, 00:15   #488
BHPian

hi guys..

here are some pics of my truck right after initial tuning..
Attached Thumbnails
The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-24032009456.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-24032009466.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-24032009455.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-24032009460.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-24032009459.jpg  

The Radio / Remote Control Cars Thread. (RC)-24032009467.jpg  

Old 25th March 2009, 00:42   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Are there any good shops/web sites in India from where i can buy a R/C Plane in a reasonable budget?
In Hyd there is jackshobbies.in and you can try paylessflymore.com too the latter obvious as the name suggests is more reasonable.
Here is a link that has more info: This is a very helpful move by RCindia.org to place a thread like this to lead us RC freaks to the right store. hope you find this useful
Mega list of all RC outlets in India - Open forum for Indian RC/aeromodeling/racing hobbyists

Last edited by johnda : 25th March 2009 at 00:43.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:51   #490
BHPian

Today's Update -
Finished with 1 tanks today, so that make 7 tanks in total. Current setting of needles

1. High speed needle setting - 1 1/8 + 3/8 = 1 1/2 clockwise from factory flush settings. (Note: HPI recommends not to turn it more than 1 1/2 from flush setting). At 1 1/2 setting but sometime at time of acceleration engine tries to stall. After this inital loss of rpm it rev rises normally.

2. Low Speed Needle Setting - 1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4 clockwise from factory flush settings (Done After tuning the high speed needle) But still i am not seeing the acceleration that should be there. At this setting engine stalls if i give it 3/4 trottle suddenly.

3. Ideal Setting -still Need to set it every time when i start the my truck for first time in the day else as soon as I touch the brake engine stalls. But once engine is at working temp this problem goes away and now I only need to vary the ideal setting by 1/8. I do this setting when engine has ran for 2 min on slightly higher RPM. But still at ideal engine noise is not steady but little irregular.

1. On hard acceleration there is blue smoke from the exhaust.
2. There is still blue smoke from exhaust beyond half throttle.
3. Still exhaust is spitting steady oil when truck accelerate. (I can still see streak of oil on floor once truck accelerate from stand still)
4. Engine is still not shifting to 2nd gear. Tried full throttle while holding the truck on stand but still it didnt shift into 2nd gear.
5. At today's setting there is a definite improvement in the performance. But sometime engine stalls or boggs down (it can happen at high rev or low rev) especially if I suddenly open the throttle by 3/4 to full.
6. Average run time on single tank of 20% nitro fuel is 15 min.

As per my calculation it is still too rich. I didnt lean it further because then i will be going beyond the company's recommended settings. Please let me know what should be then next logical step.

Take Care,
Manu Chawla
Old 25th March 2009, 21:39   #491
BHPian

@manu7781, Don't be afraid to lean it more - It is dangerous only if you dont see any smoke at full throttle and the temps go 120C+ , i tune it by only the sound and not by temp or base settings.

Also i suspect you have fuel with more than 10% oil, best to use 8-10% oil.
Old 25th March 2009, 22:12   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
@manu7781, Don't be afraid to lean it more - It is dangerous only if you dont see any smoke at full throttle and the temps go 120C+ , i tune it by only the sound and not by temp or base settings.

Thanks mura,

Ya i use 20% lubricant, 20% nitro and 60% methenol.

Take Care,
Manu Chawla
Old 25th March 2009, 23:16   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
Yes, That is what I learned too. The company setting is a like a ideal scenario which is not always the best setting. If too much oil is visible, its still rich. Lean out in 1/8 turns and check.

Mura, Actually TT suggests 15% oil. I read some where that the 8.0 engine is Heli derived and needs that oil content.
Old 26th March 2009, 20:51   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
If its VXL, I would suggest LIPOs. For normal NiCD or NiMh, if your application is very basic, you can get a fast charger.

I got a Team Orion, 7.2V 4200mah SHO battery recently. Issue is it takes 2+hrs to charge with a basic charger. If you are planning more batteries and going Lipo, makes sense to invest in a good charger which I am shortly.

There are many stores and dealers in Bangalore. Search this thread.
Ok. i searched the thread, but couldnt find much info on stores in Bangalore.
My friend picked up a 8.4v 5000 mah battery for me, which comes with a traxxas connector.
He also picked up a Dynamite Prophet Plus AC/DC Peak Charger.

He received the 2 of them today, but told me he cant figure out how to connect them. :S
Do i need to pick up something else as well? This is my first RC car, and i really have no idea what else i require. Hes coming back next weekend and if there is something else that i need, i'll have to let him know really soon.

Help!
Old 26th March 2009, 22:59   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressive_anush View Post
My friend picked up a 8.4v 5000 mah battery for me, which comes with a traxxas connector.
He also picked up a Dynamite Prophet Plus AC/DC Peak Charger.
He received the 2 of them today, but told me he cant figure out how to connect them. :S
I am sorry to say, not a great decision to pick the Dynamite Prophet Plus AC/DC Peak Charger if its for use in India. First its runs only on 110V AC and not 240V applicable in India, second it only has tamiya connector. You will need a adaptor to connect to the Traxxas connector of your battery. But since you have got it, use the DC end alone with power supply.

After inputs from many and lots of research, I got the DC only HotBodies GT Escape charger for 50 Pounds on Modelsport UK. As per website, it comes with all adaptors you need, receiver pack, glow ignitor, transmitter etc. My uncle is carrying it for me. I just need to get the power supply done.

Thanks Mura, for making me think DC, Kapil and RPM for your inputs.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 26th March 2009 at 23:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks