Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 19:38   #181
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does the JioFiber need any device to be installed on the terrace? I understand the AirFiber does but does the regular fiber connection need access to the terrrace etc?.
May be they will pull the cable from the nearest Jio pole and anchor it (nail it to the wall) on the terrace and then drop the cable to the entry point in your floor. They don't need any device/power on the terrace.
skumare is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 10:36   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the JioFiber need any device to be installed on the terrace? I understand the AirFiber does but does the regular fiber connection need access to the terrrace etc?.
No. The fibre is routed from the nearest hub to your house. We have both Jio as well as Airtel. Both come straight into the house.

But if you are in a mutistorey flat, it may be easier to route the fibre cable to the terrace and then drop it down, especially if the entry for cable is not directly in line with the entry (that is on the other side of the building).
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 22:46   #183
BHPian

I took Jio Fiber Prepaid for (6 months) in New Delhi and the Sales guy specifically clarified that the subscription can be suspended and restarted if the subscriber desires for long period as in case of long vacation away from home.
Now, I called them, just before flying abroad on 4 months vacation, to temporarily stop their service.
"No! It cannot be done", was the reply. Incidentally, my renewal was due in a weeks time. I told them to cancel my subscription which would take a week to be effected. Nothing much to lose.
Then they called me to set up time for them to collect back their Router. By this time, I was locking up my premises. No one would be home to oblige their request.
I will return in December and subscribe again. Hope they will be happy to find a customer, where they would not require to invest in laying cable or Router.
Regarding laying the cable and fixing Router, their Service team will follow the easiest path with little concern to your interior. In case you desire it your own way, for example through Conduit or through some of your choice, they will provide you the cable to lay it yourself leaving ends for them to hook up with their service pole and Router. Even the Router is fixed poorly with Nails. I fixed it rigidly with Wall Plug and Screws while they watched.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 24th October 2023 at 23:08.
Old 25th October 2023, 10:49   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Does the JioFiber need any device to be installed on the terrace?
This depends on the situation in your area. Jio does not need any powered device to be installed on prem, but there will be a box where the main fiber terminates and then split to individual connections. Normally this box will be installed on some apartment and connections to nearby homes will originate from here. If you have a box that was already installed around your house, you wont have anything installed in your place. We had this box installed in our apartment terrace in Chennai and they did it with out permission and even broke the parapet walls in the process of installation.
d.w.w. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 11:38   #185
Senior - BHPian

Here is the latest flyer from Jio Fiber that I received:
Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons-jiofiber.png

How is the Jio Fiber in Bangalore in terms of Download and Upload speeds as compared to what is committed? Was evaluating Excitel and then dropped seeing the feedback on the other thread.

I am currently on ACT Fibernet and the good thing is both Download and Upload speeds are almost equal and most of the time when I do a speed test they are either in the 90% of promised speed and sometimes at 110%. For example, my plan is for 300 mbps and I have not seen the Download Speed drop below 270 mbs and have seen SpeedTest clock 330-350 mbps quite regularly.

Considering Jio mainly for the 4K STB add-on which ACT offers via Yupp TV and I believe the channel options on ACT are very limited.

Also, what is the Backup Plan mentioned in the brochure?
Old 27th November 2023, 14:23   #186
Team-BHP Support

Any of you using Mesh router from Jio? JioExtender 6 Mesh Wi-Fi System(491894637)
Link

How is it? I believe, one has to buy it in a pair. It might not be as good as what I had been using, but am left with not many options. Already got the lame extender but it is not half as good as D-Link / TP-Link's normal modems. Hence, I am apprehensive.

I had TP-Link's Deco Mesh router, but Jio was not compatible with it. My ordeal
Old 29th November 2023, 11:32   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any of you using Mesh router from Jio? JioExtender 6 Mesh Wi-Fi System(491894637)
Link

How is it? I believe, one has to buy it in a pair. It might not be as good as what I had been using, but am left with not many options. Already got the lame extender but it is not half as good as D-Link / TP-Link's normal modems. Hence, I am apprehensive.

I would suggest use the JIO Router just to help you connect to the Internet, Buy a separate Wifi Router which is compatible with Mesh devices, TP LINK and D Link sell them. Use the ethernet cable for connectivity between Jio Router and the new WIFI router and hide the wifi network of Jio Router.

This way you have a far superior network system at home with faster speeds, bandwidth management and firmware updates.
Old 29th November 2023, 17:05   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
I would suggest use the JIO Router just to help you connect to the Internet, Buy a separate Wifi Router which is compatible with Mesh devices, TP LINK and D Link sell them. Use the ethernet cable for connectivity between Jio Router and the new WIFI router and hide the wifi network of Jio Router.

This way you have a far superior network system at home with faster speeds, bandwidth management and firmware updates.
Hi Yash!

Thanks for replying.

I was having the best mesh Wi-Fi 6 router / modem for my use case. I had the TP-Link Deco -X20 (Link). This extender WAS NOT compatible with Jio's main modem and started giving me issues after few months. Request you to please go through this post (On Wi-Fi & Routers).
Old 29th November 2023, 19:01   #189
BHPian

Hi,

Yes the TP link mesh would not be compatible with Jio Wifi Router,

Hence I mentioned that buy a new TP LINK router that is mesh compatible to extend your network at home, You will need to use an ethernet cable from Jio Modem to the TP link router so that the TP link gets internet connectivity and connect the Decos to the TP Link router.

I want you to connect your decos to the new TP Link router and not the Jio.
Old 1st April 2024, 18:27   #190
CDM
BHPian

Jio Fiber does not use iPhone 15 - is happy to let me go!

Not sure if anyone has faced anything like this but I am facing a rather sad issue with Jio Fiber in Noida.

I have been a Jio Fiber user for many years since it was introduced in Noida. As my house was undergoing renovation, we shifted 5 houses away and my Jio Fiber was also shifted to the new address.

Now when I have moved back, the local Jio Fiber team insists that they are full capacity at my house and cannot shift back the Jio Fiber connection! This is even though the two houses are hardly 50 metres from each other.

Jio Fiber customer care is most hopeless and keep asking me to make a request for shifting, which I have done many times, but the local team ‘cancels’ the request on technical grounds. No escalation seems possible from the customer care team.

The local team tells me to cancel my Jio Fiber connection if I want and has been forwarded my number to the local Airtel team!

Grateful is anyone has any contacts with Jio Fiber who can help.

CDM
Old 1st April 2024, 20:59   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Jio Fiber does not use iPhone 15 - is happy to let me go!

Not sure if anyone has faced anything like this but I am facing a rather sad issue with Jio Fiber in Noida.

I have been a Jio Fiber user for many years since it was introduced in Noida. As my house was undergoing renovation, we shifted 5 houses away and my Jio Fiber was also shifted to the new address.

Now when I have moved back, the local Jio Fiber team insists that they are full capacity at my house and cannot shift back the Jio Fiber connection! This is even though the two houses are hardly 50 metres from each other.

Jio Fiber customer care is most hopeless and keep asking me to make a request for shifting, which I have done many times, but the local team ‘cancels’ the request on technical grounds. No escalation seems possible from the customer care team.

The local team tells me to cancel my Jio Fiber connection if I want and has been forwarded my number to the local Airtel team!

Grateful is anyone has any contacts with Jio Fiber who can help.

CDM
I faced a similar issue when I applied for a jio fiber connection in Bangalore. Their website showed that my area is serviceable, and I applied. Their sales team came to my house for filling the application and I paid the deposit. But when the installation team came, they told me that their switch/junction near my house is already at full capacity and don't have any empty ports for providing new connection. They refunded the amount and forwarded my number to another provider

After 6 months, I applied again. This time I called the sales person beforehand and checked with him if they will be able to provide a connection now and he confirmed. Same process of application, payment etc is completed, but when the installation team came, they repeated the same thing that they don't have vacant ports on their switch. I had to blast the sales guy and he convinced the installation team to somehow complete the installation since he has committed. They found a vacant slot on a switch in the street behind us and pulled cables from there. Finally, they were able to complete the installation.

From what I understand(I may be wrong), they setup sone switch kind of equipment at a private premises which can support a certain number of connections. They also keep adding new switches to expand their network.

You can ask them if they can do something like this or setup a switch at your premises itself. If they do this, they provide some discount as a rent for using your premises as well.

Last edited by Everlearner : 1st April 2024 at 21:01.
Old 1st April 2024, 21:15   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
How is the Jio Fiber in Bangalore in terms of Download and Upload speeds as compared to what is committed? Was evaluating Excitel and then dropped seeing the feedback on the other thread.
Using Jio Fiber since 3+ years and on the 100 mbps plan since the start. I am in South Bangalore.

In all these years, the service has been exceptionally reliable and I never felt the need to connect with customer care except for 3-4 instances where the problem was resolved in a short time (from a few minutes in most cases to max half a day in one case due to an outage that needed to be resolved on their side).

Speeds measured via Speedtest and fast.com have shown consistent upload/download speeds almost inline with the promised speeds. On 100 mbps plan, the lowest I have seen is 80 mbps (promised 80% speed while connected via WiFi).

I got my parents to cancel their ACT BB connection which was almost 2x the cost of Jio Fiber and they are very happy as well.
Old 1st April 2024, 23:52   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Link

While I have not used Jio's own mesh system, I have had no problems whatsoever with the Motorola mesh system (MH7023) at home. I have four satellite units connected in a daisy chain fashion to the router unit, which in turn is connected to the Jio Fiber Gateway.

Setup was seamless and since the satellites use Ethernet backhaul, the network experience is always top notch.
Old 2nd April 2024, 00:03   #194
Senior - BHPian

I had Jio Fiber for almost 3 years without any issue or ever needing any customer care help. Its all good until something breaks at least in my case.

We lived in a small-ish city and were the early adopters of Jio Fiber when they launched the service in the area. The installation was lightening fast. The engineers going out of their way to install cables and boxes and making sure I was happy. The internet speed was blazing fast. Streaming Zee5 was blissful. Massive Git pulls and pushes were satisfyingly quick and then one day it all ended.

The house was locked for 6 months with no usage. The WiFi adapter was turned off and so was the modem. Once we went back after the hiatus I recharged the Fiber service as usual for 100mbps plan but service didn't resume. I ran the diagnostics from app and it showed issues with the hardware and engineer visit was scheduled to our house immediately. Oh this is excellent, I thought. But boy was I wrong and how.

The engineer closed the request saying "premises locked, no one at home" when we were home. Funny I said and raised another request. No dice. Another engineer, same reason, service request closed.

Annoyed I called up the customer care and after numerous attempts finally got a human to talk to. I asked if they can give me the next engineer's number so I can call him in case he is going to the wrong house and she flat out refused to give those details. Privacy reasons in India? You gotta be kidding me. But fine. Okay I said, just ask him to call me to which they agreed. I gave them 3 different mobile numbers in case one didn't work. But the call never came. The service never resumed despite doing all the home "remedies". I am quite good at such things and quickly found out the problem is not in the setup or equipment.

I won't go in detail because the whole experience infuriates me to no end but here is the sampler - for the next 30 days until my prepaid month expired I raised a total of 27 service requests through the app (1 every day), sent over 120 twitter messages and tweets, made 20+ long calls with customer care and not a single engineer ever turned up at our house to fix the service. I have all the records, screen shots and Twitter history.

My voucher expired without a single byte being used and they refused to refund the money. This was back in November 2023. The maddening frustration continued well into December 2023 when we finally accepted defeat and threw in the towel on refund too and called Airtel to setup services.

Its April 2024, all the Jio equipment is lying in the house as it is and cables dangling everywhere in the area. No one bothered to come collect it. The exact same thing happened with our neighbor who was in the house, regularly using the service until 1 day it just died and all hell broke loose. We both got onto Airtel the same day.

May be service is better in big metros so your mileage may vary. Personally, as far as customer care goes these are the worst of all. Even previous worst VI/Idea pales in comparison.
Thieves is what they are. Its not a deep hole to lose thousand bucks, but its the principle.
Wouldn't touch this service with a 10 feet pole.

Last edited by amol4184 : 2nd April 2024 at 00:05.
amol4184 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:48   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Thieves is what they are. Its not a deep hole to lose thousand bucks, but its the principle.
Since you have all the documentation on payments, receipts, etc. do log a consumer complaint. I believe it is not very cumbersome to do so. All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks