Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 12:08   #106
AZT
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio Fiber reviews, pros & cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
However, I still want them to introduce a high volume / unlimited data plan at lowers speeds (50-100 MBPS).
I don't see this happening, they will lose all of their higher plan customers. Not having a plan like this was one of the reasons I stopped Jio last month.

Quote:
The upload speeds too need to go up. With 100 MBPS download, I barely get 10 MBPS upload. Contrast this with Ion, which has symmetrical upload and download speeds.
Good observation. I also found this out later on.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 23:23   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The upload speeds too need to go up. With 100 MBPS download, I barely get 10 MBPS upload. Contrast this with Ion, which has symmetrical upload and download speeds.
This seem to be one of the biggest disadvantages with Jio. I commented on GTO’s post in this thread as well regarding this. It’s surprising Jio is treating uploads as second class citizens just like in their mobile network. Airtel and ACT provide symmetrical speeds which makes such a big difference for every day tasks like cloud backups and syncs, big attachments in emails etc.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 18:46   #108
BHPian

Hello all,

I’ve been thinking of switching from ACT if we have a good enough service provider. I have been looking at Jio and Airtel Broadband as options.

Most of the feedback for Jio has been from people who haven’t started paying for it and it mostly sums up as a decent secondary connection whe getting free but are we willing to pay for it? Not so much!

Also, my question mostly is on the fact that can I replace my Airtel Digital TV and ACT Internet with a Jio convection?.

Please validate!
bhaskar.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 18:35   #109
BHPian

Anyone knows how to get the 2nd set top box with Jio Fiber Connection. I already have Jio Fiber connection and was given 1 Set Top Box , now I need the 2nd Set Top Box also for my other TV. Any pointers on how to get the same will help.
Old 10th June 2020, 20:38   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Anyone knows how to get the 2nd set top box with Jio Fiber Connection. I already have Jio Fiber connection and was given 1 Set Top Box , now I need the 2nd Set Top Box also for my other TV. Any pointers on how to get the same will help.
As far as I know they only provide one set up box per connection free of cost. If you need additional they may charge you for that. Drop them an email or call the CC number to confirm. Or better tweet, they usually reply fast on that.
Old 10th June 2020, 20:53   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Also, my question mostly is on the fact that can I replace my Airtel Digital TV and ACT Internet with a Jio convection?.
If your primary usage is not very upload intensive, go for it. We are planning to quit Tata Sky once the current plan gets over. Also be aware of the total data consumption. I think if you are in the 400-500 Gb range, you can get the silver plan for 849+GST. It has 400 Gb + 200 Gb free data. Do note if you get 100 Mbps download, your upload will be 10 Mbps tops (upload is capped at 10% of download speeds). There is also a 199+GST plan for 7 days that has 1000Gb data, but not sure if this will continue. Looks more like a stop gap arrangement for higher usage customers.

Also, in this age of work from home, I feel having 2 ISPs would be helpful. Reason being, tethering is not a very good option especially if you have 3 people at home doing Zoom calls and working online (incase there is some downtime).

After the recent cyclone, there was damage to cables leading to no service with both JioFibre and Ion. Jio got fixed the same day while Ion took 2 days. So even with 2 ISPs, I had to resort to tethering for a good 12+ hrs. Thankfully managed it with Airtel and Jio SIM cards that I use.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 21:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

This is one reason I moved to Airtel. Sometimes I need torrents for references but they blocked those. Also the connection was intermittent. Their service engineer came twice, showed me the speed and scooted. later the net snapped and they weren't taking calls. So I opted for stability. But Airtel has its own issues. My payments are not recognized in these last few months and I keep getting threats from them to 'pay up or else'. Since I'm diligent in paying the bills, I find this offensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Not just explicit, they are terrible at blocking any random website. They block file sharing and download sites, sites like subscene and many random websites that change from time to time. They have also randomly blocked Dslreports and many other websites off and on.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:09   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This is one reason I moved to Airtel. Sometimes I need torrents for references but they blocked those. Also the connection was intermittent. Their service engineer came twice, showed me the speed and scooted. later the net snapped and they weren't taking calls. So I opted for stability. But Airtel has its own issues. My payments are not recognized in these last few months and I keep getting threats from them to 'pay up or else'. Since I'm diligent in paying the bills, I find this offensive
They had recently blocked even New York Times and The Broadband Forum. There is no logic at all. My connection has been quite stable though. I haven’t had any issues with downloading torrents. Of course they continue to block any site with large downloads but torrent clients seem to work fine.
Old 12th June 2020, 13:38   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
They had recently blocked even New York Times and The Broadband Forum. There is no logic at all. My connection has been quite stable though. I haven’t had any issues with downloading torrents. Of course they continue to block any site with large downloads but torrent clients seem to work fine.
I agree, their blocking of NYT was infuriating. I noticed it happened in just couple of days after an article criticising Indian gov response to Covid. Jio seems very political and into moral policing.

Also I don't trust their consumption stats, the usage of data seems to have doubled or even more than what we used to consume in our earlier connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyone with an experience of Jio fiber in or around Ghatkopar, Mumbai?

Planning to move by end of this month; would be interested to know. Currently using Airtel at Bangalore; it's a pain to get them to cancel the existing connection while they keep pushing for transferring it to Bombay instead.

Also I get very peeved by moral policing done by the ISP; Reliance is famous for that (since dongle days). How's Jio on that matter?

The speeds are good, while after lockdown I see connection dropping for couple of mins multiple times a day. Assuming that's because of increased usage.

Moral and political policing is an issue.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th June 2020 at 17:10. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
click is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 16:56   #115
BHPian

I had mentioned this few pages back. Appreciate Jio bringing the competition 4 years back to the much needed industry but they now need to be seen and evaluated as a leader and not as an upstart.

With respect to their network itself, below are some of their sore points.

1) Asymmetrical upload speeds
2) Poor routing and network management. (Packets to Singapore inexplicably going around the world etc.)
3) Irrational and plain inexcusable moral high handedness with blocking websites and services. They even block services extra judicially i.e. blocking sites not in the block lists of DOT or from court judgements.
4) Their blocklist management is also terrible. They block an entire domain instead of a specific page or sub-domain. Because of this, they have blocked previously many popular sites like behance, github etc. Airtel in this respect is top notch, they block only on court or DOT order and also only the exact page or sub-domain spelled out in the order.

I’d recommend Airtel or ACT or Spectranet or Cherrynet or any other decent fiber provider in your town anytime over Jio.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 14th June 2020 at 16:59.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 18:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I had mentioned this few pages back.

4) Their blocklist management is also terrible. They block an entire domain instead of a specific page or sub-domain. Because of this, they have blocked previously many popular sites like behance, github etc. Airtel in this respect is top notch, they block only on court or DOT order and also only the exact page or sub-domain spelled out in the order.

I’d recommend Airtel or ACT or Spectranet or Cherrynet or any other decent fiber provider in your town anytime over Jio.
This is valuable feedback.
So in case an entire domain gets blocked say github. Is there any redressal mechanism in place to put in a request to unlock ?

And if there is , does it work and how long does it take ?
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 18:59   #117
BHPian

Hi,

I have the GOLD plan of Jio fiber and I had a small question regarding that. I see that the subscription to Hotstar is included in it but I am unable to access the premium content. Whenever I select any “Premium” category content, I get a message that I need to subscribe to it. Does it mean that I have access to the non-premium content only? Is there any way to access the premium content?
Old 14th June 2020, 19:39   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

I have the GOLD plan of Jio fiber and I had a small question regarding that. I see that the subscription to Hotstar is included in it but I am unable to access the premium content. Whenever I select any “Premium” category content, I get a message that I need to subscribe to it. Does it mean that I have access to the non-premium content only? Is there any way to access the premium content?
Jio only provides VIP level subscription for Hotstar. Premium is a higher level and you would have to purchase it seperaratly.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 19:40   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
This is valuable feedback.
So in case an entire domain gets blocked say github. Is there any redressal mechanism in place to put in a request to unlock ?

And if there is , does it work and how long does it take ?
They eventually address the problem after complaints but it takes couple of days. There are few forums and other sites which are still blocked site wide in their network when the other ISPs have blocked a single specific page. Them making these mistakes repeatedly make me wonder about if it’s just ignorant or malicious or they just don’t care.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:26   #120
BHPian

Looks like Jio Giga Fiber is down across various parts of India. My router's red LED light is constantly blinking and there is no internet connectivity. Wasted half an hour calling the customer support but the call wasn't picked up. Even the live chat wasn't working. Later, came to Twitter to lodge a complaint but saw that various users across the country are having issues currently.
Hope they resolve soon. This is the first downtime I am facing in one and a half year of my usage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks