Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2016, 09:58   #4576
BANNED

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Just received the package of wipers from Industrybuying.com. I had placed order for Hella Curvo for my car - Maruti Swift ZDi.

Driver Side: 21 inch - Rs 410
Passenger Side: 19 inch - Rs 392

Total: 721 after 10% discount.

The Online Shopping Thread-img_20160217_085019.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-img_20160217_085905.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-img_20160217_085936.jpg
Old 17th February 2016, 19:41   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Just received the package of wipers from Industrybuying.com.
Would you be able to share the date of manufacture of these. This is my primary concern on buying wipers online - are these guys clearing off old stock.

Hopefully the Curvo range is new enough for this not to be an old stock clearance.
Old 17th February 2016, 20:39   #4578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
... This is my primary concern on buying wipers online - are these guys clearing off old stock ...
How old is old enough to worry about it? These things last a year at the very least under the hot tropical sun. How long could it take for them to deteriorate in their packets?
Old 17th February 2016, 22:44   #4579
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Would you be able to share the date of manufacture of these.
Curvo is a newer range of wipers that replaced the DynaEdge series.

To answer your question find the image of the wipers with the dates:

Name:  ForumRunner_20160217_224227.png
Views: 1608
Size:  434.6 KB

Month & Year of Import: August, 2015
Date of packaging: November, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How old is old enough to worry about it?
May be ones nearing an year old could be a reason to be worried I guess.
Old 18th February 2016, 14:31   #4580
Senior - BHPian

With the hype around freedom251, couldn't stop myself asking on this forum, how many here booked it?

Initially I thought it is a Govt initiative. Checked the website and saw that the delivery was 4 months later. Has shown apps like farmer, swach bharat pre installed. Funny to find that the couple of names they mentioned, like farmer, as pre installed are not even found on google play.

So in all probability it could be a scam. Rs 251 and delivery after 4 months means after 4-5 months, if the phone is not delivered, one will try a couple of times for a refund but then just forget that 251 rs.

Read it on TOI who interviewed a company official, who says
Quote:
we are working on a variety of saving initiative to keep cost of device lower than its approximate unit price of 2,500.
Assembling in India - saved 400
large scale sourcing - saved 400-500
no on ground staff - saved 500.
Rest of the savings came from online marketplace that we create on our website by allowing other companies on the platform.
Funny.

Source - m.timeofindia.com/tech/tech-news/Mobile-phone-for-Rs-251-rings-in-disbelief/articleshow/51032308.cms

Note that there is no subsidy from the government on this. It is just a rumor. Our govt has far important pressing issues to provide subsidy for, rather than providing on an Android phone.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 18th February 2016 at 14:34.
Old 20th February 2016, 07:03   #4581
BHPian

On this freedom 251 topic, I received this on Facebook and I wish the company doesn't turn out as below..I have edited few stuff to be politically correct

---begin----
Step 1:Pay money to Xyz TV channels and other promoters from your pocket and promote this scam!
Step 2: Rope in support from government Chamchas by paying donation for election.
Step3: Promote a Scam. Selling a phone for Rs.251 when the manufacturing cost is Rs.2000+. Like a ponzi scheme, keep a low cost of barrier to enter. Ex:- Let try. what am i going to lose for Rs.250?
Step4: Rope in 100 thousand of fools who falls for it. So now you have crores in bank deposit
Step5: Go to a bank with this demand and get 1000's of crores loan. Our national banks will be in queue to fund this Ponzi scheme
Step 6: Show false accounting and siphon the money to safe haven. Enough for a generation or more.
Step 7: Deliver few phones and file bankruptcy.
Step 8: Banks will Award this guy " willful Defaulter" Award. Who cares!!!
Step 9: Cruse in Hawaii with our hard earned tax fund!!!!

Selling below cost value doesn't last. Our government dictates the farmers good rate well below manufacturing cost. Ask a Farmer who takes suicide as a path unable to pay back a small loan.

Instead donate Rs.250 to a farmer or create a farmer help funding scheme

----end----

Given that there were so many politicians and others involved in promoting we have to watch how this unfolds.
Hoping it doesn't end like the $6 dashcam scam we had on the Aliexpress recently although Aliexpress did detect and acted swiftly to return the money.
Old 20th February 2016, 08:02   #4582
Senior - BHPian

I have got an even better calculation on WhatsApp; )

Statistics of phone freedom251.

291rs per phone. (251+40rs shipping)
x 6L order per second (as claimed reason for site crashing)

= 17.46 cr

It was taking order till 12.15pm approx
I.e 6 hrs and 15 min which is 22,500 seconds

17.46 cr per sec x 22,500 sec
= 3,92,850 cr

3,88,494 cr was turnover of reliance industries in year 2014-15

That means within 6 hrs 15min they crossed turnover of reliance

Within 6 second tax audit become applicable to that company

And if we calculate interest on the said amount per day

3,92,850 cr x 4% x 1/365 (by taking minimum interest rate)
= 43.05 cr

And if after 4 months they will say we are unable to give product and refund 291rs to everyone
43.05 cr x 120 days approx
= 5,166 cr
They will earn within 4 months by way of interest

Now you will say about their promotion cost

Deduct 50L,1 cr, 5 cr or even 50 cr, that will not make much difference to the figure.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:11   #4583
Senior - BHPian

If they put 4-5 apps on that phone which cannot be deleted. Each app nets them 1000 each per phone. Then that itself is a good revenue source.
Old 20th February 2016, 23:30   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

My experience with Lenskart is the exact opposite.

Got a pair of progressive glasses made from them with their top of the line Tokai lens. They bungled up the order and then refused to even acknowledge the disparity.

The glasses were sent back and returned to me almost immediately (within a few hours) with the statement "our VP has taken a look at the same and per him these are fine"

Maybe their VP is like Chris Angel with magic in his hands that set my spectacles right.

Not just that they managed to lose the pilot lenses that were sent to them with along with my Colani frame.

They did promise to look up the details on the web and make me new reference lenses/glasses but reneged on that too.

Net net, they do not respond to phone calls or emails and my 20K+ are flushed down the drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Lenskart is one with whom I've had a good experience of them honoring their warranty but these are few and far between...
Old 26th February 2016, 13:39   #4585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
My experience with Lenskart is the exact opposite.

Got a pair of progressive glasses made from them with their top of the line Tokai lens. They bungled up the order and then refused to even acknowledge the disparity.

The glasses were sent back and returned to me almost immediately (within a few hours) with the statement "our VP has taken a look at the same and per him these are fine"

Maybe their VP is like Chris Angel with magic in his hands that set my spectacles right.

Not just that they managed to lose the pilot lenses that were sent to them with along with my Colani frame.

They did promise to look up the details on the web and make me new reference lenses/glasses but reneged on that too.

Net net, they do not respond to phone calls or emails and my 20K+ are flushed down the drain
Even I have been happy with Lenskart so far. Got at least 3 pairs of specs made, including one similar to yours for my mother. Did you get the eye check up done in their store or gave them just the power figures? Or reference lens to take readings from (pilot lenses I assume, you refer to above)?

Anyway, don't flush that 20k so soon, why don't you raise this issue through social media, works 99% of the time.
Old 26th February 2016, 20:48   #4586
Senior - BHPian

Checkup was done at my residence. Two pairs were made one progressive and the other one single vision, they screwed up the progressives. The pilot lenses were zero power to be used only for marking my line of sight etc.

Don't have the time to go chasing after them on social media and such. I think I will instead bring this to the attention of one of the consumer interest protection programmes on the business channels, let us see what comes of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Even I have been happy with Lenskart so far. Got at least 3 pairs of specs made, including one similar to yours for my mother. Did you get the eye check up done in their store or gave them just the power figures? Or reference lens to take readings from (pilot lenses I assume, you refer to above)?

Anyway, don't flush that 20k so soon, why don't you raise this issue through social media, works 99% of the time.

EDIT

I believe I will report the two posts of mine and yours above to the admin/moderators and have them moved to the 'online shopping' experience thread. They will be more relavant there. Trust you would be ok with that

Last edited by khoj : 26th February 2016 at 20:52.
Old 27th February 2016, 19:25   #4587
BHPian

i need to buy a car charger and i have zeroed in on to this one: Aukey 24W/4.8A 2-Port USB Car Charger(The Smallest and Most Powerful)iPhone Car Charger for iPhone 6s / 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge / Edge+, Note 5 and More - Black https://www.amazon.in/dp/B015WIGKY4/..._HPA0wb5HVMBV0
any suggestions?
Old 27th February 2016, 20:44   #4588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
... zeroed in on to this one: Aukey 24W/4.8A 2-Port USB Car Charger...
I took 3-port option http://www.amazon.in/Aukey-Charger-A...585898&sr=1-15

It powers my Garrmin Nuvi, Transcend in-dash camera and one port free for mobile charging

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 27th February 2016 at 20:44. Reason: typo
Old 27th February 2016, 21:48   #4589
BHPian

Two good experiences to report.

My order placed with Amazon US was delivered at my doorstep on the 10th day after the order was placed! Products cost x, shipping was x, customs duty collected by Amazon upfront was x, for a total of 3x, but it was still worth it to me. Aramex (the shipper) collected my KYC docs through their website with an upload of soft copy, but still wanted hard copy on delivery. Other than that, it was super smooth.

Ordered some small value items from Rakuten (Japan). Said stuff wasn't available elsewhere. Unlike Ali Express, Rakuten (which is also a marketplace like Ali Express) does not show shipping cost; vendor has to notify shipping cost via email, then the customer has to approve that etc. Cumbersome. My first order failed because the vendor didn't get back to me on time, and my virtual credit card expired after the mandatory 24 hour period. Then some pow-wow with the vendor, placed the order again, and received the items on the 11th day after order was placed.

At one time, India was so desperate for foreign exchange that import of critically needed items were rationed strictly. Today we buy everyday things from abroad with impunity!
Old 28th February 2016, 13:11   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I took 3-port option http://www.amazon.in/Aukey-Charger-A...585898&sr=1-15

It powers my Garrmin Nuvi, Transcend in-dash camera and one port free for mobile charging

-BJ
Initially I was in a dilemma to buy 2-port charger or 3/4-ports charger. After seeing your message and also thinking about it again, finally decided to buy 4-port charger from aliexpress. I have ordered this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aukey...579779342.html.
Now, the wait starts...!

Most Viewed