Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2017, 13:55   #5341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

This duty hike has made me drop the plan. Looks like the government will be able to achieve what it wanted to, i.e stop most buyers from importing cheaper stuff from China

Postman just delivered a product ordered from aliexpress by China registered post.
Costing Rs 2200.
Declared value was Rs 1500.
Sample written in capital letters by seller.
Customs duty Rs 228.
Postal charge Rs 100.
Total amount paid Rs 338.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:49   #5342
BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
One of my shipment is stuck at Bangalore sub foreign post office since 12th April.

Date Time Country Location Event Type Mail Category Next Office Extra Information
12/04/2017 12:40:26 India KOLKATA FOREIGN LCAO Transfer from office of exchange (Inb) Air BANGALORE SUB FGN POST

I have raised a complaint, no response. So sent an email to CPMG Karnataka Circle, who forwarded to Asst PMG (BD), who forwarded that to SSPOS EAST BANGALORE.

Not sure how many more forwards before I get a response.

Also wonder why India post is giving the highest authorities email id as the first escalation point.
Did you get this parcel?
Looking at the status, I think the shipment is still en-route Bangalore. Once it reaches Bangalore, the current location will change to Bangalore. Usually, it takes a very long time from Kolkata to Bangalore. Mine is also in a similar long journey (since 16/4).
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:12   #5343
Senior - BHPian

Those who order from Big Basket need to be aware of this:

https://twitter.com/nikhilnarayanan/...06636524650496

Apparently it pays to invest in a good kitchen scale.
Old 2nd May 2017, 13:21   #5344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Those who order from Big Basket need to be aware of this:
https://twitter.com/nikhilnarayanan/...06636524650496.
Wow, been purchasing with them since they launched! Have a scale and will weigh the next lot.
But then again do we know the scale correctness at local stores? They are likely doctored as well. Will try with next lot and report back.
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:30   #5345

I need a bluetooth transmitter to watch late night TV/movies on my PC. It needs to have Dual Link support (2 headsets simultaneously). I shortlisted the following:

http://www.amazon.in/Wireless-Portab..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B06VVYNHX8?psc=1

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ITOUL4I?psc=1

http://www.amazon.in/Avantree-Blueto...TSEGG65Z4129X7

These are all available on AliExpress as well.

Please suggest:

1. Which will be sufficient for my needs?

2. Where should I buy it from?

I am in no hurry but want to purchase something of good quality that would last me at least 4-5 years.
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:56   #5346
BHPian

The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
this one has the transmitter and receiver function and is value for money. I have a similar and smaller one from Sony but have not tried multi-point on it.
You also get media players that have a headphone jack on their remotes to allow one to watch content without disturbing others.
Buying from AliExpress can end up in the item becoming expensive as the duty of imports has now gone up in the recent past. Do AliExpress if the price differential is significant. Else try Ebay.in with a standard 8-10% discount coupon as well.

Edit: The unit also seems to have a battery which can be a plus.

Last edited by diyguy : 2nd May 2017 at 18:08.
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:23   #5347

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
this one has the transmitter and receiver function and is value for money. I have a similar and smaller one from Sony but have not tried multi-point on it.
Thank you for the suggestion.

The whole point of this excercise is that I and my better half can enjoy movies on big screen without waking up other family members. I have bluetooth but it does not support Dual Link and hence the requirement.

Is this http://www.amazon.in/Hwsbta2w-Blueto.../dp/B001DSIUQ4 what you have?

Where did you buy it from?
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:11   #5348
BHPian

The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
Yes that's the one I have. I had purchased it from amazon.com and shipped to a US address.
I also have a Jabra Bluetooth speaker for my car which has a fm transmitter. I use this at home for my HT to play songs from my Gaana app on my phone. There are many options for you to try and find a solution that works for you.
Am exploring the echo dot at this point to see if I can use it for for some automation. I believe it can do what you want as well
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1493793704.529516.jpg  

Last edited by diyguy : 3rd May 2017 at 12:19.
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:49   #5349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Did you get this parcel?
Looking at the status, I think the shipment is still en-route Bangalore. Once it reaches Bangalore, the current location will change to Bangalore. Usually, it takes a very long time from Kolkata to Bangalore. Mine is also in a similar long journey (since 16/4).
I finally received this parcel. It was cleared from Bangalore Sub foreign post office the very next day after my email was forwarded to corresponding to APG and delivered to me one day later

Interestingly no response on my email thread or the complaint I raised.

I had another parcel from Aliexpress which reached Bangalore Sub foreign post office but cleared it earlier than this, that was the reason to start a complaint.

Anyways Aliexpress (or any e-tailer who delivers via India Post will be last on my priority going forward)
Old 6th May 2017, 19:20   #5350
Senior - BHPian

Amazon India Standards

Amazon india shopping experience and standards are either falling or have already fallen. Recently bought a Philips LED batten from the seller cloudtail and I received an used piece.

I received a used piece with no screws, wall inserts and the metal brackets were misaligned. Te metal mounting brackets were already mounted on the light instead of being included in a small plastic sachet with screws and wall insert. The surface of the LED batten were scratched and did not have the new look. Either this was a returned item or warehouse clearance stock. Thinking of whether to send it back or install it. It lights up fine.

A month ago i bought a Maisto monster truck to gift my nephew and what i received was not what i bought which is a cement mixer truck.Instead of the concree mixer I received a tow truck from the same range. I didn't have the time window to return it and get another one so proceeded to gift that itself. Tow truck with its extending arm and thread to which a hook is tied etc is less durable (in the hands of a kid) than the mixer with just a rotating part thats why i avoided tow truck in the first place.

Both were Prime fulfilled orders and the light was sold by Cloudtail.
Old 6th May 2017, 20:41   #5351
Distinguished - BHPian

Any thoughts on the risks involved in buying refurbished/used camera from Overcart?

My temptation
Old 7th May 2017, 23:29   #5352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Any thoughts on the risks involved in buying refurbished/used camera from Overcart?

My temptation
I have bought a few items(couple of mobiles and headsets) from the site but never a camera.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the quality of products and customer service.
Old 10th May 2017, 13:36   #5353
BHPian

Folks need expert advice on import shipments.
Planning to buy a dash-cam with few accessories. I am able to get it from Ali Express for 7800 INR with an estimated delivery lead time of 4 weeks with free shipping.
I also have a colleague returning from US this month end, the same device is available in Amazon.com for approximately 8500 INR.
Which one should I go for?
Will I be charged any import tax/duty if procured through Ali Express?

Thank you in advance. Cheers!
Old 10th May 2017, 13:55   #5354
BHPian

Sorry for the delayed response as I had not logged in since a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
There are reports that ZUK brand itself will be diluted and New products will come under Moto brand. So, wait for some more discounts.

In any case, all these brands come under Lenovo.
Thanks. I did read about that. I guess I'll have to wait for a discount or a successor with Lenovo branding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Postman just delivered a product ordered from aliexpress by China registered post.
Costing Rs 2200.
Declared value was Rs 1500.
Sample written in capital letters by seller.
Customs duty Rs 228.
Postal charge Rs 100.
Total amount paid Rs 338.
Your product comes under 30$. Because of that the duty is ~15%.
Old 10th May 2017, 14:22   #5355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Folks need expert advice on import shipments.
Planning to buy a dash-cam with few accessories. I am able to get it from Ali Express for 7800 INR with an estimated delivery lead time of 4 weeks with free shipping.
I also have a colleague returning from US this month end, the same device is available in Amazon.com for approximately 8500 INR.
Which one should I go for?
Will I be charged any import tax/duty if procured through Ali Express?

Thank you in advance. Cheers!
Go for US purchase!! You will get it early with no risk of losing the package and paying tax.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th May 2017 at 12:52. Reason: loosing > losing.

Most Viewed