Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your priority purchases post lockdown?
Car/ Bike/ Scooter 29 5.43%
Electronic gadgets (TV, cellphone, laptop etc) 71 13.30%
Clothes, footwear etc 36 6.74%
Lifestyle products (Home Gym, etc) 19 3.56%
Household items (Refrigerator, Furniture, kitchen items etc) 64 11.99%
Others (please do mention) 74 13.86%
Not planning on buying anything 241 45.13%
Voters: 534. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 00:53   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?

I got a service reminder call from my friendly Tata dealer, and they offered to service my car any day after 03 May. How they expect me to get the car to them and back, I have no idea.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 02:13   #77
BHPian

Itching to go for a ride, it's been long.
Will get some dumbell's for workout at home. The no equipment workout doesn't cut it for me.
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 02:52   #78
BHPian

This was my very first thread on Team-BHP, and I'm absolutely surprised and chuffed to see these amazing replies

Going through all the responses, I think the three largest categories of planned expenses post-lockdown seem to be:

1. Household and personal electronic items like an office chair, sofas, truly wireless headsets, new laptops and phones to make our lives comfier for the inevitable and long-due shift to remote work which has been catalysed by the Covid-19 crisis.

I am an HR Manager turned GoI staffer and the difference between the productivity of private-sector employees (who work on laptops) and public sector personnel (dependent on office desktop and an army of clerks) is stark. Let consultants do the cost-benefit analysis of WFH and couple it with the trend of businesses focussing on redundancies over efficiency, and this crisis will become the defining workplace trend of the past few decades.

2. Essential services, especially grooming, fitness, medical services and household repairs.

I can totally empathise with folks missing their weekly salon visit and daily workouts. While my pull-up bar, an old backpack filled with books and a yoga mat ensures that I get some gains (recommend Jeff Cavalier's Athlean X channel on Youtube for guidance), they can't replace those amazing 6-730 AM sessions at Cult Fit. As far as grooming is concerned, I think I'll stick to shampooing and conditioning my hair and beard. Past experiments with the trimmer have proven disastrous. I do foresee more people trying out service-at-home platforms like Urban Clap. Though I am certain it is going to be difficult to get that appointment at Looks Barbershop after the lockdown opens.

3. Defer expenses, cut out needless spends, donate.

My PSU salary hasn't been affected at all and is unlikely to be in the near future. However, for the first time in years, I have a healthy bank balance. Most of the spends are for dining out, online shopping and gourmet groceries which have nearly been curtailed during this lockdown. I invested some of this excess into the stock market and wished I had saved up some more for other investments. I am still planning to go ahead with my new car purchase this year (had booked the New Verna pre lockdown though if new i20 might be a contender if it launches in the next few of months).
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 03:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Good food. I am so fed up of eating the same three or four things and having to cook them myself. In fact, I hope restaurants open ASAP
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 06:10   #80
BHPian

PUC - in no mood to pay challans after lock down lifts.
Electric Rice Cooker
Electric Kettle
New Laptop
Dumb bells of various weights, Skipping rope
Spare specs
Few more large cotton shopping bags.
Old 29th April 2020, 09:28   #81
BHPian

1) Washing machine : is a household necessity, mandatory purchase! I have done jugaad on it to keep it running for the last several weeks.

2) Replacement stand lamps for the bedroom and study. Again, necessity.

3) A pair of high quality headphones: the existing Roland RH50 gave up after 14 years of faithful sound reproduction. It is mute on one side now! Necessity, again

4) A good buffet lunch/brunch with loads of seafood and non-veg. GREED/GLUTTONY.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 09:39   #82
BHPian

I selected others.
I want to buy a Pulse Oximeter. This Corona is not going away from us anytime soon and I want to keep this device at home to check SATURATION value, similar to what we do with BP and Sugar meter.
Old 29th April 2020, 10:46   #83

My trimmer broke down during the initial days of lockdown. A good trimmer is the first thing on the list. Realised that i need to upgrade my laptop, will probably go for an assembled gaming rig this time.
Ali3n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 11:18   #84
BHPian

Voted for 'Others'.

1. I'm first heading out for a good couple of meals where I don't have to do the dishes.
2. Then I'm getting a battery for my car. It was on the verge of dying after 4 years and I was planning to get it replaced in May. The lockdown just speedened things up and it's officially dead at this point.
3. A good chair to sit in in case the WFH setup becomes the new normal.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

Word is that the lock down is pushed to 15th May. Even I need to see the Tata Service guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I got a service reminder call from my friendly Tata dealer, and they offered to service my car any day after 03 May. How they expect me to get the car to them and back, I have no idea.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali3n View Post
My trimmer broke down during the initial days of lockdown. A good trimmer is the first thing on the list. Realised that i need to upgrade my laptop, will probably go for an assembled gaming rig this time.
I was also going to purchase the trimmer once I go out after the lockdown is lifted, however I noticed that it was available for sale on Amazon so I have grabbed one.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 13:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Anticipating mass layoffs (and no one else hiring), so will keep a tight string on the purse till economic clarity is achieved.
Old 29th April 2020, 13:53   #88
BHPian

Voted for "Others". These are the things i would buy once the lockdown is lifted:

1. Water Filter/Purifier- My present water filter cartridge is leaking water. The filter is quite old, so planning to buy a new one.
2. Furniture- We are not accustomed to working from home but as the trend suggests, wfh is going to be the path forward. So wish to get a small wfh setup done.
3. New laptop/upgrade existing laptop- I hardly used a laptop for last few years as most of the things could be done from smartphones. But now as i am working from home more & more, a good laptop is the bare minimum necessity. Mine is a 10 year old sony viao laptop with decent configuration. But most of our work includes accessing remote desktop & in such cases my laptop hangs at times. So wish to upgrade the ram of this one or get a new one.
4. Ac servicing- The outdoor unit of my ac is making a strange noise. So wish to get it serviced.
5. PUC: My car's PUC is set to expire sometime next month. So i wish to get it done as soon as possible.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 14:06   #89
BHPian

I chose Furniture.
Now that WFH has lost its stigma, need to invest in a good chair and home office setup.
Old 29th April 2020, 15:45   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

I just want to go for a long bike ride...and by long I mean just to a different pin code!

Honestly, I'll be more than happy to go just to a public park again (Cubbon Park here in Bangalore), will not take that for granted again.

Post-lock down am going to make it a point to buy from the small vegetable and fruit vendors, the cart guys. I was contemplating it anyway before the lock down, but always ended up going to the bigger shops and supermarkets because it seemed more convenient. But during this lock down, the cart vendors really been there for us. Supplying what we need, helping us avoid having to go into crowded stores and supermarkets. And they haven't been taking advantage of the situation by overcharging or pushing off old stock on us as they easily could have. I'm going to continue buying from them after this lock down ends.

Apart from that I guess a good chair, for extended work from home situations, that's all.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks