Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2023, 09:17   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recommended water purifier?

^^ I am sort of curious to know what they mean by Natural RO.?!
Old 12th February 2023, 10:23   #1097
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
We Owned an aquaguard uv purifier that went bust, and could not get service from the company despite AMC and repeated follow ups. Atleast in Bangalore it looks like their service has gone down the drain. Got tired and went with the unbranded model since it has easy local service availability. Quoted 2800 for changing one set of cartridges.
Aquaguard also has lots of independents (at least in Bombay) who service their UV purifier. I have never called the company ever for repairs or annual candle & carbon block changing after the first year of free service. I tried in the 2nd year but first it took the 2-3 days for them to send their guy & when he came, he said he will do it in 2 visits (one visit for changing carbon block & another for candle changing - I think he had forgotten to bring one of the two). So I asked him to go & from then on, I call an independent guy who does annual carbon/candle changing & also does repairs when I need it like changing the UV light, repairing the circuit board etc. Even Aquaguard/Forbes purifiers themselves have cheaper models available which are sold through local shops & even Amazon/Flipkart rather the ones sold by sales guys. The cheapest Forbes (Aquaguard) purifier starts from less than 6000 Rs.
Old 12th February 2023, 10:52   #1098
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
Having bought an RO purifier recently, what i discovered was that water purifiers have become a generic commodity now. The one i bought has no name of manufacturer, it looks like a white label product that can be struck with any branding.
Same here. Though I have not purchased a new (am looking for an additional unit, for both floors) unit yet, but am about to. The old kent is working fine but has parts from different brands. The guy who is servicing mine for past 7-8 years is saying that get whatever brand you want, but once parts go bad & they become unavailable, you have to depend on something available locally. Good ones are available at ~20K and these are for ~10K.

While buying one is not a factor, service is (paucity of service, plus, the cost of spares) becomes a deterrent. The service guy says, you can customize your purifier too, you can add whatever you want.

Any bits on that? RO / UV / UF, what to add?

Thanks.
Old 12th February 2023, 11:36   #1099
Senior - BHPian

An RO water purifyer needs replacement of filters and RO membrane regularly. It is a high maintenance product. Though there are a lot of independent service agencies, the quality varies a lot. So before getting a water purifier, it is best to survey the after sales service available.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:07   #1100
BANNED

I know a RO filter removes both Chlorine & Chloramine from water. However, does a standard Aquaguard UV filter remove Chlorine & Chloramine? I found some foreign sites saying UV filter and/or Activated Carbon removes both Chlorine & Chloramine from the water. But couldn't find this info on local sites. Does anyone know?
Old 5th March 2023, 11:33   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I know a RO filter removes both Chlorine & Chloramine from water. However, does a standard Aquaguard UV filter remove Chlorine & Chloramine? I found some foreign sites saying UV filter and/or Activated Carbon removes both Chlorine & Chloramine from the water. But couldn't find this info on local sites. Does anyone know?
As far as I know, Low power UV does not remove Clorine. Low power UV just kills bacteria and some Viruses. Removing Chlorine needs either High/Medium power UV or Chemicals to neutralise it, or RO or aeriation for a couple of days.
Here is what surfing net gives

UV radiation has been successfully used in the pharmaceutical and food industries to destroy free chlorine and/or chloramines present in water, and kill all known spoilage microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, yeasts and moulds (and their spores).

https://www.wwdmag.com/disinfection/...dechlorination
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 12:16   #1102
BANNED

Thank you. From the article

Quote:
Between the wavelengths 180 and 400 nm, UV light produces photochemical reactions that dissociate free chlorine to form hydrochloric acid. The peak wavelengths for dissociation of free chlorine range from 180 to 200 nm, while the peak wavelengths for dissociation of chloramines (mono-, di- and tri-chloramine) range from 245 to 365 nm.
And this https://www.eurekaforbes.com/water-p...water-purifier says

Quote:
(Aquaguard)UV e-boiling employs ~ultraviolet rays at 253.7 nm to kill viruses and bacteria in your water
I don't have this particular model (Aquaguard Crystal NXT UV+ Hot Water Purifier) but I have the basic Aquaguard Crystal UV model. Anyone knows if they employ the same UV for all models do they have different UV frequencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Chemicals to neutralise it
From here - https://atlas-scientific.com/blog/ho...ne-from-water/

Quote:
The most common chemical to neutralize chlorine and chloramine is potassium metabisulfite, or Campden tablets (Campden tablets sometimes use sodium instead of potassium but the final result is the same). These tablets are often used in brewing operations to achieve the same disinfection results and remove chlorine. The Campden tablets are dissolved in water with ratios of 1 tablet per 20 gallons, take about 20 minutes to neutralize the chlorine, and then evaporate themselves.
Anyone tried these at home if they are even available easily?

Last edited by carboy : 5th March 2023 at 12:20.
Old 5th March 2023, 18:33   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. From the article

And this https://www.eurekaforbes.com/water-p...water-purifier says

I don't have this particular model (Aquaguard Crystal NXT UV+ Hot Water Purifier) but I have the basic Aquaguard Crystal UV model. Anyone knows if they employ the same UV for all models do they have different UV frequencies?

From here - https://atlas-scientific.com/blog/ho...ne-from-water/

Anyone tried these at home if they are even available easily?
CHLORINE in it's pure form must be removed before water enters RO membrane. It is detrimental to the membrane and will damage it. Chlorides are salts and no harm to membrane. If you all are talking about removal of chlorides, it will be done by RO membrane and no additional set up is required.

Pure Chlorine is removed in RO plants by adding SBS (Sodium Bisulphite) in pre filtration stage.
Old 5th March 2023, 20:26   #1104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
If you all are talking about removal of chlorides, it will be done by RO membrane and no additional set up is required.
This is my question - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5505081 (Recommended water purifier?)

I asked if Chlorine & Chloramine is removed by an UV filter.
Old 5th March 2023, 20:46   #1105
Senior - BHPian

UV is not a 'Filter'. UV treatment is done by passing UV rays through water. It cannot 'remove' any elements or compounds. It only is supposed to 'kill' micro organisms. So, the answer is 'No.'
Old 5th March 2023, 20:55   #1106
BANNED

Quote:
UV is not a 'Filter'. UV treatment is done by passing UV rays through water. It cannot 'remove' any elements or compounds. It only is supposed to 'kill' micro organisms. So, the answer is 'No.'
Please read through the whole thing - Aroy's reply & my reply quoting from his link & also from the Aquaguard site.

UV does remove chlorine & chloramine

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5506473 (Recommended water purifier?)

Quote:
Between the wavelengths 180 and 400 nm, UV light produces photochemical reactions that dissociate free chlorine to form hydrochloric acid. The peak wavelengths for dissociation of free chlorine range from 180 to 200 nm, while the peak wavelengths for dissociation of chloramines (mono-, di- and tri-chloramine) range from 245 to 365 nm.
Quote:
UV is not a 'Filter'.
Basic Aquaguard filters with UV & 2 candles (one of them being the activated charcoal candle) are commonly referred to as a UV filter as compared to an RO filter (which may have RO+UV).

Last edited by carboy : 5th March 2023 at 20:57.
Old 6th March 2023, 09:22   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read through the whole thing - Aroy's reply & my reply quoting from his link & also from the Aquaguard site.

UV does remove chlorine & chloramine

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5506473 (Recommended water purifier?)

Basic Aquaguard filters with UV & 2 candles (one of them being the activated charcoal candle) are commonly referred to as a UV filter as compared to an RO filter (which may have RO+UV).
Please go back and read John's article again. He is talking about UV treatment to treat chlorine into hydrochloric acid BEFORE RO membrane. HCL will be stopped by RO membrane and won't damage it.

NONE of the commercial RO filters (!) have UV before RO membrane. They all have it after RO followed by Charcoal filter - only for killing and removing micro organisms. Chlorine and Chloramine would not cross RO membrane. So you need to treat BEFORE, to save membrane.
Old 6th March 2023, 13:35   #1108
BANNED

Quote:
Please go back and read John's article again
I suggest you read it again. And I can even give you more articles if you want - https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...43135483902361

Last edited by Sheel : 6th March 2023 at 15:20. Reason: Post should be polite, always, even in disagreement, request you to be wary of this for future reference. Thanks.
Old 6th March 2023, 13:51   #1109
BHPian

There are many generic water purifier, locally assembled. It does the job too i checked the tds and it does reduce. Any negatives in going for an unbranded one, are there any risks in using these? I am just curious and feel we are paying the extra money only to hema malini
Old 6th March 2023, 15:55   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
There are many generic water purifier, locally assembled. It does the job too i checked the tds and it does reduce. Any negatives in going for an unbranded one, are there any risks in using these? I am just curious and feel we are paying the extra money only to hema malini
I am all for these. After all the RO unit has the following
. Candle Filter
. Charcoal Filter
. UV chamber
. RO unit

Any one can assemble these and get a first rate unit, provided the components are good.

The only reason that people go for brand name units is for the service. A water filter requires replacement of consumable annually. A service fron a reputeble company does away with hassles of procuring the consumables and replacing them.

Smaller RO units used by most of us have everything packaged in a neat form. Larger commercial and industrial units have the com[onents that are separate connected by pipes so that each component can be easily replaced.

https://www.amazon.in/25-LPH-Commerc...7VKB2ZTF&psc=1

Another company
https://www.satyaneer.com/whole-house-water-filter

The supply spares also. Choose the correct tab.
Aroy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks