Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 23:11   #226

Re: Gun Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Request to the gurus on this thread :

information requested regarding :

- MODELL REMO K Germany 12 Bore SBBL

- Alex Henry .410 Bore DBBL ( Ladies Gun ??? )

Regards
What information are you looking for? Value? Whether or not to buy them/ or keep them/ etc.?

The .410 would have been a lovely keepsake if you were living overseas, however in India ammunition is next to impossible to find - also, most licensing authorities usually confuse it with the .410 musket (which is a restricted calibre as per Schedule I of the Arms Rules 1962), hence you may face issues having it entered on your license/ selling it/ renewing the license.

.410 would qualify more as a child's first shotgun than a ladies gun. A 28 gauge or 20 gauge would qualify as "ladies guns", though (if the ammunition was available and there was no restriction on number of guns one could own) I would love to own a 20 gauge. They are sweet shooting, low recoil, lightweight guns (if built on a 20 gauge action) that you can carry around all day without getting tired... and some of them are very very pretty too!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 19th May 2012, 18:22   #227
BHPian

Thank you Abhijeet ,

Can you also advise what would be the fair price for Alex Henry 0.410 about 90 years old - but in mint condition still with the original case .

Regards
Chauhan
Old 19th May 2012, 21:15   #228

Am no arms dealer, so just a guess on my part - best case scenario 10-20K... You'd be best advised to check out the yellow pages at indiansforguns.com and contact a few of the dealers closest to your location - that would give you a better idea. Rule of thumb is, add 20% to the highest price quoted by dealers.

HTH

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Old 20th May 2012, 06:54   #229
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Wonder how much the asking price for that Remo would be.
Just as a yardstick, I hear that a 1940's vintage Harrington Richardson 12 Bore Single Barrel recently changed hands for about 2L - mint condition with original case et al. The buyer considers that he received a bl**dy good deal so no grumbling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Request to the gurus on this thread :

information requested regarding :

- MODELL REMO K Germany 12 Bore SBBL

- Alex Henry .410 Bore DBBL ( Ladies Gun ??? )

Regards
Old 21st November 2012, 10:21   #230
Senior - BHPian

i have a long time fascination to have a gun but since my father is not very keen to get me a license, i have to settle for a air rifle only.
i am googling a lot on this and found precihole Orio at 9800, does anybody have any hands on experience of this air rifle. it looks to be the best in india till date
Old 21st November 2012, 11:05   #231
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
i have a long time fascination to have a gun but since my father is not very keen to get me a license, i have to settle for a air rifle only.
i am googling a lot on this and found precihole Orio at 9800, does anybody have any hands on experience of this air rifle. it looks to be the best in india till date
The guy behind the Precihole is known to be good but the jury is still out on the Precihole as its been recently launched.
Someone I know has recently picked it up and we are going to be trying it out over the next few weekends. I would also recommend an alternative in picking up the IHP35 .22 and then going for the tune-up kit from target-tune.in for about 2.5K which has been a nice experience so far for me.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:09   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I would also recommend an alternative in picking up the IHP35 .22 and then going for the tune-up kit from target-tune.in for about 2.5K which has been a nice experience so far for me.
Ok. what is the the range of the IHP rifle you are using and has anybody tried on purchasing a scope for AR

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 21st November 2012 at 11:12.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:15   #233
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Ok. what is the the range of the IHP rifle you are using
Not really checked but within the limits of a basic air rifle it does quite alright. I have been able to get some help with tuning it for accuracy to the maximum possible extent and using it with Crossman Hollow Point pellets made a lot of difference.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:35   #234
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys interesting thread here!

Well, from my past experiences, I have learned to fire (trained to shoot the right way by professionals) and have fired the .303 (the legendary rifle ), INSAS SLR (5.56 mm standard Indian Army issue) and 9mm Bretta (this was just lucky by chance!). I was also a part of skeet shooting during my NCC days, so had a chance to use the Skeet rifle too!

But I always wanted to try my hand at Drugnov sniper and the H&K PG1 semi-automatic sniper, never got a chance!

Personally, I am against the gun ownership in our country, for already we have enough goons and issues to solve! And lets first equip our defence forces with good weapons and throw away those .303's! then we can think of giving licences to the Mango people.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 16:31   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

Personally, I am against the gun ownership in our country, for already we have enough goons and issues to solve! And lets first equip our defense forces with good weapons and throw away those .303's! then we can think of giving licences to the Mango people.
Whats stopping the goons now from getting their hands on guns, one can score a Khatta for as little as 1000 Rs and Munger made handguns for a little more.
What is happening is the world views the issues with Gun ownership through the eyes of American media. There are countries with much higher of Gun owners and a lot less crime.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 17:12   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Whats stopping the goons now from getting their hands on guns, one can score a Khatta for as little as 1000 Rs and Munger made handguns for a little more.
What is happening is the world views the issues with Gun ownership through the eyes of American media. There are countries with much higher of Gun owners and a lot less crime.
Now atleast, there is a fear (namesake ) that owning a gun is not so easy in our country and if caught using illegally it will be confiscated with serious consequences () but when the gun licencing rules are liberalised it would pave way for easy crimes. Got my point? Even a road side petty thief will now show up a revolver to snatch a chain and in turn the victim will pull out his 9mm bretta (just a paranoid scenario), all will end up in blood!

Lets not stray away from the main aim of this thread!
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:08   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Now atleast, there is a fear (namesake ) that owning a gun is not so easy in our country and if caught using illegally it will be confiscated with serious consequences () but when the gun licencing rules are liberalised it would pave way for easy crimes. Got my point? Even a road side petty thief will now show up a revolver to snatch a chain and in turn the victim will pull out his 9mm bretta (just a paranoid scenario), all will end up in blood!

Lets not stray away from the main aim of this thread!
While the above argument may seem rational on first look, that's not really how things work in the real world.

No criminal who is out to commit a heinous crime like murder, rape, dacoity, etc. worries about incidental legalities like the Arms Act. Illegal firearms of every type imaginable are easily available on the black market at prices far far lower than the cheapest legal firearms you or I can buy AFTER going through the rigmarole of applying for an arms license.

The people who ARE deterred from arming themselves by such laws are the vast majority who are law abiding and therefore willingly submit themselves to the humiliation meted out by petty arms licensing officials.

The knowledge that there is very little chance of armed retaliation by their potential victims in fact serves to embolden all manner of criminals, which is precisely the scenario being created by our current system.

Self defence is a natural right of every living creature, but in the face of armed aggression (a frequent reality in today's India) and denied the tools with which to put up any sort of effective defence by their own government - in India the right to self defence effectively exists only on paper.

If you'd like to engage in a debate on this issue, I'd be happy to oblige.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 22:15   #238
Senior - BHPian

I have to admit this there.

Every time i read a shooting incident in the news, I would think its the gun laws in US that are behind all this. But after having been here for some time and interacting with the folks here, I have gained a little more understanding of the gun ownership issues and have even begun to realise that labeling gun ownership as the root cause of all shooting incidents is naive and a knee-jerk reaction at best.

You have to be here, interact with the people here to understand the importance of guns here for self protection. I dont buy rest of their reasons like ability to form militia etc. But the most convincing argument for gun ownership is that you cant expect police to be everywhere. When your life or your family is under threat, it is better to be prepared than to wait for police to arrive before any damage is done. And its not as if it is the wild west out here just because any one can own guns. They know that if they fire their weapon for anything other than self defense (which will need to be proven beyond doubt) then the law enforcement and judiciary will be swift in putting you in jail. They cant even draw their guns at the slightest provocation. Even drawing your weapon can get you into trouble with the police here.

I know it is too much to ask for from everyone to gain a deeper insight into the issue before literally jumping the gun on the gun. But i thought i should just state my opinion nonetheless.
Old 1st January 2013, 11:49   #239
BHPian

Delhi women gun for licences; rape triggers big rush to acquire arms

What caught my eye particularly was this:
Quote:
Till July this year, five women were granted licences for personal threats. In 2010 and 2011, over 600 applications were rejected as no "personal safety threat was assessed".
Now reading it along with this:
Quote:
Admitting that Delhi is certainly unsafe for women, the chief minister said that she was even ashamed to meet the victim at the hospital.
From here:
Sheila Dikshit admits Delhi is rape capital

You can't protect people; you won't let people protect themselves either. What is the point of gun laws then?
Old 10th August 2013, 11:35   #240
Senior - BHPian

Can I import a replica BB gun from US to India? I have been eyeing a full metal replica of Dragunov Sniper Rifle, and was thinking of buying this (LINK)

Will customs create any trouble if I find a friend willing to carry this from US?

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 10th August 2013 at 11:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks