51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 13:19   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Anyone dematerialised their physical shares lately? How long does the whole process take?

I have a pile of Reliance shares lying around that I need to dematerialise . Just worried about submitting the physical share certificates to my DP (ICICIDIRECT) for dematerialisation. What will happen if they lose it? Do I get a receipt after submitting the DRF form?

just go to your DP, fill in the form (yellow one), pay the fee (per certificate) , you will get an acknowledge slip (bottom of the form)..

will be reflected in your online account within 15-20 days..
Old 4th August 2008, 14:20   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone dematerialised their physical shares lately? How long does the whole process take?

I have a pile of Reliance shares lying around that I need to dematerialise . Just worried about submitting the physical share certificates to my DP (ICICIDIRECT) for dematerialisation. What will happen if they lose it? Do I get a receipt after submitting the DRF form?
Its a very simple process.
Go to the DP as gaurav has said. Ask for the DRF Dmat Request Form. I thi nk that the form for ICICI can be downloaded from their website. Fill it up and deposit it at their authorised branches. You will get an acknowledgement from this. and for a company like Reliance Industries it should take 15-20 days or even less after the shares have been sent to the registrar.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:32   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have for now forgotten my money, lots of stocks(blue chips mostly) are languishing. 2-3 years from now I will revisit my portfolio.
Either the economy will have totally crashed with sensex at 4000-5000 levels. so any losses won't matter as its doomsday or maybe its just a part of the 8 year cycle, where 2008 is the year of doom and 2009 will bring cheer
Is it the right strategy in times like these?

I have now started to book losses at every rally, and buy the same stocks again when they tumble. This way I have been able to control my losses to some extent.

\N
Old 4th August 2008, 16:43   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Go to the DP as gaurav has said. Ask for the DRF Dmat Request Form.
Thanks, Did exactly as you suggested. These Ambani brothers seem to have 101 companies and to make matters worse, keep changing their company name every now and then !! For example, Reliance Energy Ventures Limited became Reliance Energy Limited. Then AA decides to rename it yet again as Reliance Infrastructure Limited . The DP lady was about put the wrong ISIN code. Same case with Rel Cap and RCom.
Old 4th August 2008, 16:44   #710
Team-BHP Support

My long term wait strategy is paying off. blue chips are slowly gaining, and losses are lowering day by day.
A few stocks have gone in green
I plan to hold on atleast a year to save on capital gains tax
Old 4th August 2008, 17:10   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

I have now started to book losses at every rally, and buy the same stocks again when they tumble. This way I have been able to control my losses to some extent.

\N
The best possible approach right now is not to sell the ones in hand and avoid fresh buys in low centric ones. The stocks will rise near Diwali and that will be a good time to lessen the portfolio and make some money.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:40   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
And FAST process !! I have the demat shares credited into my account already !!

Now waiting for the right time to sell it.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:56   #713
BHPian

I invest in the stock market from a long term perspective, by which I mean more than 5 years. I usually read the annual report before investing and would never take any advise from any of the websites. Instead I would prefer my relationship manager to send me the research reports (paid). Remember, in the stock markets, there are no free lunches. If someone is encouraging you to buy, it means that are the one who plan to offload.

For people who are serious about investing in stocks, please read the following books:
1. "The Intelligent Investor - The Definitive Book on Value Investing" by Benjamin Graham, updated with new commentary by Jason Zweig
2. How to Think like Benjamin Graham and Invest Like Warren Buffet by Lawrence A. Cunningham
3. One Up On Wall Street by Peter Lynch with John Rothchild

These books are bibles and a must read to first time investors. If you follow these books, there are very good chances of making more money than an average mutual fund manager.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:57   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And FAST process !! I have the demat shares credited into my account already !!

Now waiting for the right time to sell it.

Thats quick!

Just make sure that the shares are reflecting in the FREE Balance and not in the Pending Demat balance.

If you sell them and there are no shares in your account then the scrips will go for auction. This can result in a monetary loss and may also attract monetary penalty
Old 8th August 2008, 14:01   #715
BHPian

And for people who are interested in Mutual funds, I would recommend Value Research Online (Value Research: The Complete Guide to Mutual Funds). There is lot of information and my portfolio is based on the research I had done using this source.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:15   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

\N
One of the most-offered reasons in favour of stocks / equities as an investment is that they are good as a hedge against inflation. Now, my question is do stocks / equities do well, discounting for inflation, at all levels of inflation? What about times when infaltion is way too high( relative to GDP growth and so on....) I think answers to this question will help in deciding the strategy in current times.
Old 11th August 2008, 13:14   #717
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Now, my question is do stocks / equities do well, discounting for inflation, at all levels of inflation?
Provided you have invested well. All equity investment is subject to one caveat - "good company". Invest in one bad company and you are done for. Ever heard of Usha Rectifier? Or Orkay silks? Or NEPC-MICON? It is not just inflation. It is about the environment in which the companies function, and how they are managed. (Eg. a company with low inventory is going to be hit hard during inflation, but a company starting the period of inflation with high inventories is going to make good profit due to appreciation in value of its stock).

Quote:
What about times when infaltion is way too high( relative to GDP growth and so on....) I think answers to this question will help in deciding the strategy in current times.
Though I started investing only recently, I have been watching the market from the times when inflation was way too high, and I do know for a fact that some equities have given returns way above the inflation rate.
Old 12th September 2008, 09:35   #718
BHPian

Ticker tool

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good ticker tool, that can display NSE/BSE on your desktop? I tried few, but wasn't quite satisfied

Nirmal
Old 12th September 2008, 10:27   #719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Does anyone know of a good ticker tool, that can display NSE/BSE on your desktop?

Dunno if this will fit your bill, but you can try the StockTicker plugin for Mozilla / Firefox.
Old 12th September 2008, 11:45   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know of a good ticker tool, that can display NSE/BSE on your desktop? I tried few, but wasn't quite satisfied

Nirmal
You can use yahoo widgets, and use the symbols on yahoo finance india to get the quotes.

However, the quotes are delayed by 5 minutes. So they are good only to see a general trend.
You can't really bank on them to do intra day trading.

In any case if you are in for intra day trading - its better that you get an account from the broker that support lots of monitoring and analytical tools. Which is not possible from just a running stock ticker.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks