Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:00   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I booked profit in Reliance Industries.

Sold 80 Reliance @ 1090.

Will invest the sale proceeds in Franklin India Taxshield for getting deduction under section 80C from the income tax.
Why even do that? 80C has an upper limit that you probably already crossed just from PF, PPF, insurance premium, children's education etc etc - 1,50,000

Just pay long term (hopefully) capital gains tax and enjoy the money.
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:07   #3377
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
80C has an upper limit that you probably already crossed just from PF, PPF, insurance premium, children's education etc etc - 1,50,000
I am a pensioner. ELSS is the only instrument in which I invest to get section 80C benefit.

Quote:
Just pay long term (hopefully) capital gains tax and enjoy the money.
I held the Reliance shares since many years. So, it is free from long term capital gains tax.

Old 22nd September 2016, 11:34   #3378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Sold 80 Reliance @ 1090.
Getting a lot of Buy Calls in RIL. Its been a non performer for last few years but lot of analysts started being bullish in it. So advice you to stay invested for bit more.

I got a message for buy on RIL and a target of 4400 in 36 months
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:39   #3379
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I got a message for buy on RIL and a target of 4400 in 36 months
RIL reached my target. I got a profit of about 50%, which is more than enough for me. More over, I will be getting the IT deduction next year as the amount has already been reinvested in ELSS.

Update@13.44: Just a few minutes back, my sell order was successfully executed!

Sold 60 RELINFRA @ 607

Last edited by noopster : 22nd September 2016 at 13:45.

Old 22nd September 2016, 13:49   #3380
Distinguished - BHPian

Had bid to sell RIL at 1100 with 10% profit but then saw a few news items suggesting to buy RIL and hence cancelled my sell order. Maybe will hold it for a higher target.
Old 29th September 2016, 17:11   #3381
BHPian

ICICI Pru IPO closed 11% down on the listing day. It was down much before the surgical strike news came in. Is it the right time for bargain hunting, or market can go down further depending on Pakistan's response.
I have RBL bank and ICICI pru on my radar so also Sun pharma.
Old 29th September 2016, 17:54   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
It was down much before the surgical strike news came in. Is it the right time for bargain hunting, or market can go down further depending on Pakistan's response.
Depends on what the response from Pakistan is, so far they seem to be avoiding escalating this into a war by rebuffing that any such thing happened. Probably because it would make their army look really bad -- The Abbotabad incident with the US Navy Seals is still fresh in their minds.

During Kargil, markets went down by over 30%, so it could happen again if things get worse. Personally, I wouldn't do any bargain-hunting in troubled times unless it is in a stock in which I already have a substantial long-term position.
Old 30th September 2016, 00:11   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
ICICI Pru IPO closed 11% down on the listing day. It was down much before the surgical strike news came in. Is it the right time for bargain hunting, or market can go down further depending on Pakistan's response.
I have RBL bank and ICICI pru on my radar so also Sun pharma.
ICICI Prudential is an avoid as its numbers are bad. The IPO price is over inflated. A good price if you really want to get in, is around 190-210
Old 30th September 2016, 06:51   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
ICICI Prudential is an avoid as its numbers are bad. The IPO price is over inflated. A good price if you really want to get in, is around 190-210
Even at that price it is a dud. RBL was about the one decent IPO that came down the track recently but I missed getting in on that one. Not that I regret it though, I tend to stick to MFs and some very carefully chosen equities.
Old 7th October 2016, 15:34   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
I tend to stick to MFs and some very carefully chosen equities.
Please do share your methods for choosing the right ones. This will help us a lot.
Old 7th October 2016, 16:06   #3386
Senior - BHPian

Edit - I figure you are asking about my methods for choosing equities. Study the past track record and future of the company and what sort of market it has.

So far only two reasonably priced equities -

SUNDRMBRAK (Sundaram Brake Linings on NSE)
AMARARAJABAT (Amara Raja Batteries BSE / NSE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Please do share your methods for choosing the right ones. This will help us a lot.
What works for me may or may not work for you. And results will vary based on when you enter and exit, how long you stay invested and how well / badly the markets have done during that period etc.

These are based on very frequent sips (spread across several days a month - and instead of investing say 5k in a single monthly instalment I tend to make it 2 x 2500 fortnightly - just to pick a random figure)

In all cases - Regular, Growth for the fund options. And I use a for fee financial advisor that I heartily recommend - he tracks my investments and sends weekly statements in PDF format.

Birla Sunlife -

Balanced 95 Fund
MNC Fund

Franklin India (Franklin Templeton) -

Bluechip Fund
Prima Plus

ICICI Pru -

Focused Bluechip Equity Fund
Value Discovery Fund

IDFC -

Premier Equity Fund

Quantum -

Long Term Equity Fund

Note 8 funds midcap - this is a list of funds held in my and my wife's portfolios.

For ease of tracking I would suggest that you stick to say 4 or 5 funds.

Pick an allocation percentage between largecap / midcap / balanced funds funds as suits your investment levels. And do your own research on these before you put any money. Even after that invest only what you can afford to lose every month. Either put it in stocks or blow it on eating out, malls etc type disposable income. Don't rely on it as an income source and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by hserus : 7th October 2016 at 16:25.
Old 7th October 2016, 16:21   #3387
BHPian

anyone using Anand Rathi services ? Appreciate if someone can share their feedback
Old 7th October 2016, 17:40   #3388
BHPian

Quote:
Edit - I figure you are asking about my methods for choosing equities. Study the past track record and future of the company and what sort of market it has.

So far only two reasonably priced equities -

SUNDRMBRAK (Sundaram Brake Linings on NSE)
AMARARAJABAT (Amara Raja Batteries BSE / NSE)
This is getting interesting. How do you analyse the future of a company? Asking because things are so uncertain. Lets take your Amararaja Batteries. Where do you think we are heading when battery storage is going to be 'the big thing' but then they do not manufacture Li-Ion batteries.

Why do you think it is a better than Exide? Its PE is 36 and Price to Bookvalue is 8, whereas Exide figures are 23 and 4 respectively.

Please share your views.

Quote:
What works for me may or may not work for you.

Pick an allocation percentage between largecap / midcap / balanced funds funds as suits your investment levels. And do your own research on these before you put any money. Even after that invest only what you can afford to lose every month.
Do you mean one can lose ones shirt even while investing in MFs? general perception is that its safer.

Let us share our knowledge to gain more of it.

Fordday.
Old 7th October 2016, 18:31   #3389
Senior - BHPian

You can lose your shirt in mfs certainly. Legendary fund manager dies or quits and his fund tanks as panicked investors pull out, a fund might have a large investment in some key company or companies whose stock price tanks after a Satyam type scam etc etc. Or it gets acquired and folded into some worse performing funds.

Even then in the long run it averages out as long as you can pick your goals and timelines and exit fully or partially when those are met - and depending on what the market looks like when that urgent event (e.g. child going to the USA for studies or getting married) turns up. Gradually and periodically exiting into debt, short term fd etc a few months before might help mitigate the impact.

As for Amara Raja - despite these numbers I see very few takers for exide batteries compared to amaron. Whether on tbhp or even among battery retailers. The one brand that keeps cropping up as a recommendation in this space is Amaron. So call it a hunch or whatever but I picked that over Exide.
Old 9th October 2016, 17:27   #3390
Senior - BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/54731509.cms

The past 10 years has seen the Sensex kiss the 30,000 level from 12,000. Till the end of Thursday’s trade, Sensex has grown 2.2 times from where it was in October 2006. During this period, the top 15 BSE500 stocks skyrocketed up to 883 times. Of these, 10 were low-beta in nature.

SymphonyBSE -1.30 % has delivered celestial returns of 88,200 per cent in the past decade. The stock was trading at Rs 1,150-odd level on Friday from a mere Rs 1.33 apiece 10 years ago. This translates into 883 times return.
Ajanta PharmaBSE -0.25 % has soared 18,665 per cent, or 187.65 times, during the period and is now trading at Rs 1,970.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

I wonder what is their potential between 2017-2020?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks