Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 11:10   #2641
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening had some guests at home. So decided to pick up some snacks and an unusual dinner as take-away

Snacks ( Bade Miyan Kebab, Somajiguda)

Patthar Ka Ghost ( Rs.90)
Fish Tikka ( Rs.80)
Chicken Kebab ( Rs.80)
Sheek Kebabs ( Rs.80)
Boti Kebab ( Rs.80)

All of them were excellent with Boti and Sheek being their trademark dishes.

Fish Tikka and Patthar ka Ghost stood out with their subtle flavour and let me emphasize their kebabs arent loaded with spicy and all are very light in flavour and taste. You dont feel that up to the neck filled feeling

Next stop was at Baba Chulla ( 100 Meters from Bade Miya in Somajiguda)

Picked up 4 rolls for dinner ( Rs.80 per roll)

Chicken Tikka Kebab Roll
Corn Cheese Kebab Roll
Kheema and Double Egg Roll
Veg Roll

I had the chicken tikka roll and it's a huge parantha with juicy, succelent pieces of tikka in them with loads of onions and chutney make this a wholesome dinner.

Experiencing it for first time and enjoyed it thoroughly
Old 7th November 2010, 13:45   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Next stop was at Baba Chulla ( 100 Meters from Bade Miya in Somajiguda)

I had the chicken tikka roll and it's a huge parantha with juicy, succelent pieces of tikka in them with loads of onions and chutney make this a wholesome dinner.
The best one of the lot (for those like my family who just do not enjoy spicy food [read spicy as hot]) is Chicken Reshmi Kebab Roll with an egg.

Just got in after seeing the boring movie called Golmaal 3 and why did I have to read this thread at this time of the day just before my lunch time ... I think I will order "Double Stuffed Chicken Reshmi Kebab Roll with two eggs" for lunch today.
Old 7th November 2010, 14:17   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that rolls from Baba's Chulha are good. A week back my son got some chicken rolls from the earlier spot where this restaurant was located (next to Rathadeep), but the rolls were too darn spicy.

Will give Baba's a shot now.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:01   #2644
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening around 10 Team-BHPians met for dinner at Sholay.

Ordered the following :-

Shorba/s ( I think it was good by the slurrping sounds made by others)
Non Veg Platter/s ( Excellent)
Bathinda Chicken/s ( Excellent)
Ragda Meat/s ( Average)
Roti Platter/s
Shahi Tukda/s ( Below Average)
Some other desserts ( not sure what they were)

Damages : Rs.4400

Food was excellent as usual and they have toned down the spice which is good.

Uniqueness of this dinner : First time i finished a king's meal without rice. I survived the night, btw
Old 8th November 2010, 14:29   #2645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last evening around 10 Team-BHPians met for dinner at Sholay.
Oops! Was there an email or was this planned on FB?

In any case, I would've had to sit out on this one.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th November 2010, 19:50   #2646
Senior - BHPian

Food 'n' I, Madhapur

Today we had a farewell lunch for one of our team members at Food 'n' I above Ratnadeep Super Market near My Home Navadweepa/Cyber Towers.

This restaurant is very new. Apparently it opened only in the last week of October. The owner is an ex-Microsoft employee, so there's a 20% discount to all MSFT employees who dine here.

The ambience is one of the best I've seen in recent times. The restaurant is very spacious and has three separate parts - Indian, Chinese and bar.

I didn't order the menu so I don't know the names of all the items but here goes -
  1. Tomato Soup - Good. Not the best I've had but this soup is more "Indian" in that there are no bread crumbs and the consistency is different from the usual tomato soups. It's much thinner, but thicker than the typical Andhra tomato rasam. Papad is free with the soup.
  2. Fried corn (starter) - Very tasty and not very oily at all. All of us absolutely gorged on this.
  3. Paneer tikka - The paneer was soft and fresh and the amount of spice on the paneer and capsicum pieces was to my taste for this particular dish. I would actually say the preparation was perhaps just a bit too juicy for my tastes but it was enjoyable nonetheless.
  4. Sabzi Anokhi - Seemed to be a mixed vegetable curry. I could make out broccoli and some other vegetables. Served hot and was nice but I didn't go in for a second helping.
  5. Handi paneer - I initially said no because of the paneer starter but eventually had a little bit of this. Again, served nice and hot and I was glad I went for the small helping instead of completely avoiding it .
  6. Yellow dal - Decent; nothing extraordinary.
  7. Rotis/Parathas/Naans - I was just impressed by the softness of these things despite the fact that they were obviously made from maida. The top layer/crust of the paratha (Kerala paratha style almost) was nice and crispy and the inside was soft and not at all chewy (I hate chewy breads).
  8. Rice (some pulao) - By this time we were all so full, and there was another non-veg biryani anyway, so we sent this pulao back.
  9. Ice-cream - We ordered a round of butterscotch scoops. This was clearly some Ratnadeep-issue butter-scotch and not "home-made". Can be easily passed up/ignored.
  10. Non-veg items - I'm a vegetarian but all the non-veggies around the table seemed to have good fun and were groaning after having had more than their fill of starters, curries and the biryani. So I assume this was all good too.

We had good fun there as to begin with, we were the only people. Slowly a couple of other groups walked in but by this time we were almost done.

The owner stopped by to talk to us. Apparently he's struggling to keep costs under control. Currently he's not spending on any advertising or direct marketing and is relying on word-of-mouth and other social methods. He seemed genuinely pleased with the compliments we handed out to him for the food and talked about "inner peace" .

Valet parking is available but we didn't use it as the Ratnadeep parking area was empty today noon and parking was no hassle at all.

Total damages = INR 3350 for 11 people. I don't know if the MS discount was applied. I'm sure it was, considering we told the owner we were from MS.

I would suggest this outlet while it's still in its honeymoon period, and I wish the restaurant and its owner long-term success as well.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th November 2010, 20:57   #2647
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds like a nice place Prashant. Will give it a visit soon.

Btw, for the discount, will my orange card work similar to your blue one?
Old 10th November 2010, 15:21   #2648
BHPian

Tried roti combo and chicken biryani last night around 12 am at nawabs and nizams mobile canteen opposite DELL campus in hitec city.heard that he stays there in an omni till 1.00 am.

Roti combo 1 chicken curry + salad + 2 roti Rs.50 (veg at Rs.40).
Chicken biryani Rs.50 for 250 grams along with salan and raita.

The quality was ok but the pricing is VFM.

Nawabs and Nizams is a lucknow based restaurant chain with its hyderabad outlet in madhapur.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:33   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds like a nice place Prashant. Will give it a visit soon.

Btw, for the discount, will my orange card work similar to your blue one?

We never showed our cards. Just said we're from Microsoft. Of course he asked us which division and all, but that doesn't "give anything away".

Regards,
spadix
Old 10th November 2010, 16:50   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

We never showed our cards. Just said we're from Microsoft. Of course he asked us which division and all, but that doesn't "give anything away".

Regards,
spadix
He is offerring a discount of 20% to all My Home Navadweepa residents as well.
You say you stay in MHN and avail the discount !!
Old 10th November 2010, 16:58   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
He is offerring a discount of 20% to all My Home Navadweepa residents as well.
You say you stay in MHN and avail the discount !!
Club both and get 40% off?

I wonder how long this'll last, though. I'm sure it's just an introductory offer. He did mention struggling to keep costs under control. Offering discounts to large groups of people will only dent his break-even calculations.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th November 2010, 09:44   #2652
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Meghna's Spicy Food's @ Balkampet for take away

1, Chicken leg piece (4No's)- Rs 120- One word WOW
2, Egg masala- Rs 20-Again a wow &
3, Biriyani rice-Rs 60.Super spicy

Total Damages-Rs 200.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:49   #2653
Senior - BHPian

Tried out paneer butter masala from Smokin' Jalepenos last night (same place where Baba's Chulha was earlier located), along with home made chapatis. For a price of Rs 90, the quantity was decent and the taste was quite good.

It is Rs 50 cheaper than Deccan TakeAway and of the same quality, which makes it VFM.

However, their egg or chicken rolls don't taste all that good---they're too darn spicy.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:32   #2654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had been to Meghna's Spicy Food's @ Balkampet for take away

1, Chicken leg piece (4No's)- Rs 120- One word WOW
I tried that and found it nothing special. It was just too deep fried and large in size. Taste wise it was pretty much quite average.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:05   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried that and found it nothing special. It was just too deep fried and large in size. Taste wise it was pretty much quite average.
The one's which i got yesterday were quite yummy,with super spicy masala.

Most Viewed