Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 14:21   #2521
Senior - BHPian

No littering is itself a big relief,the rest can be managed!
Old 17th October 2010, 16:21   #2522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Cannot help myself but smile.

May god bless your wish.
How about a couple of pics.
I couldnt go on Asthami ( 8th day) so went on naumi ( 9th day) which was yesterday and boy! had to park the kappa a good km away and walk all the way to the samithi and after a quick darshan went to check out food stall but, looking at the crowd i knew to reach the stall which was 50 meters away will take me atleast an hour

Reason being Sriram ( Indian Idol) had just come then and was playing that evening.

Met a couple of colleagues who made a mistake of parking their cars inside and decided to go back to Hitec city where they live in Auto and come back next day to pick up their car. Imagine the crowd

In short, no vegan tasting sessions for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Stalls to check out

On the Left
  1. Deep Caterers - Veg Chop, Bhetki Fry, Fish Chop (Really good)
On the Right
  1. Kolkata Rolls - Paratha and Mutton Curry
  2. Calcutta Cabin - Poori Sabji and Mutton Curry
  3. Jai Jagannath - Chops
That sounds tasty. Good that i didnt get a chance to see them up close. Would have broken my fast....LOL
Old 18th October 2010, 14:35   #2523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Wonder why isnt Corner House thinking of setting up an outlet in Hyd.I sincerely wish they would!

www.cornerhouse.in
This weekend we did the next best thing. Drove to Bengaluru for the weekend and made 3 visits to Corner House in the 1.5 days we stayed there!

Considering that it took only 7.5 hours from my pad to Airlines Hotel...

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 18th October 2010 at 14:37.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:16   #2524
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening dinner was take-away from a new small outlet in Himayathnagar.

Wok n Roll, Himayathnagar Main Road

Owned by an enterpreneur who spent 17 years in sales field and one fine day got tired of his job and started this outlet being a foodie like us

Pepper Chicken ( Rs.90)
Chicken 65 ( Rs.80)
Egg Fried Rice ( Rs.60)
Chicken Noodles ( Rs.90)

Food was pretty good for the pricing. Nice place for a quick meal or take-away.

IMPORTANT NOTE: McDonalds is coming up soon at the place where Gayatri Bhavan used to be in Himayathnagar. Boy, its just a short walk from home for some McFillet-O-Burgers

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th October 2010 at 13:18.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:36   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Novotel lunch buffet

Newbies in our office team hosted buffet lunch for us at Novotel last Friday.

For a price of Rs 825 (inclusive of taxes) the spread was quite varied. There was a wide range of both western and Indian cuisine, not to mention a wide array of dessert items.

But I was disappointed by the quality of Mutton Biryani and the chicken curry that I had. The curry was not fully cooked, while the biryani was not as good as in other places like Sholay.

What I liked most were the kebabs and fish fingers that they fry right in your presence. The mango ice cream and other items like gazar ka halwa and chocolate brownies were also good.

Given a choice, I'd prefer Barbeque Nation as I feel one gets more bang for the buck there.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:51   #2526
Senior - BHPian

Last evening i had been to PAKVAAN for dinner and ordered the following (SILVERWOOD + 2)

Tandoori Chicken- Was at its usual best.
Hariyali Kebab &- Great taste.
Mutton Biriyani ( 2 No's)-Mutton was not cooked properly and was black in color.

Total Damages-Rs 630 including tips.

From Pakvaan, decided to pay a visit to Naturals and ordered 4 scoops of Sithaphal @ Rs 140.

TRULY HEAVENLY.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:44   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from Utsav,Secbad.Pathetic is an understatement.The restaurant resembles a dhaba now a days.Stained plates,cracked and chipped glasses,uninspiring items on offer and shabbily dressed staff.I still am not sure why people q up there to eat.I am not going there anytime again.Same goes for their Moksh outlet which is horribly overpriced and very poor service.

The only thing good and attractive about them are their eye-catching hoardings and nothing else.Big THUMBS DOWN
Old 19th October 2010, 14:54   #2528
BHPian

Swagath'ing the end of my 45 day hiatus

After a 45 days hiatus, i've started hitting out yesterday with a vengeance. Been going around the city to meet my cousins and relatives to wish them our best wishes for Dussehra. Post the meeting and greeting exercise, it was time for Dinner and we landed up at Swagath Hotel at Chaitanyapuri, Dilsukh Nagar as it is pretty close by to where I stay.

Swagath has been one of my In The Good Books restaurant for a long time & this visit was long long due. The last time I remember visiting Swagath was about 4 years ago. I know, for a restaurant in my good books, a visit after 4 years isn't a good thing. Swagath isin't my regular option as I frequently visit the restaurants on this side of the city. Avi for sure knows, why I am saying this. These restaurants aren't that exciting for a Hyderabadi Foodie like me. However, visit it again yesterday night for a supposedly quick bite. It turned out to be a wholesome dinner for us.

Started off with a Soup-Starter-Main Course pattern as usual, as all others do.

Chicken ******* Soup (forgot what ******* was )
The soup was amazing with shreds of chicken and freshly ground black pepper. The strong taste of freshly ground black pepper was evidently there till the last spoonful of the soup. It was worth every bit of it.

Soup done, time for some starters. As you all or many of you are aware of my love for prawns, a prawns starter was a sureshot order and so it was. Ordered Loose Prawns and Acchari Paneer.

Loose Prawns as usual were tender and fresh. Loved the crisp fried prawns a lot. However, the salad served with the prawns was what I enjoyed the most. It was a good mix of finely chopped spring onions and couple of stuff fried slightly to give it a crisp taste.

Acchari Paneer was nice, soft, tender, spicy and amazing. The batter in which the paneer was made was amazing and tasted heavenly. It was on the spicier side & I loved it. The chutney served with Acchari Paneer was amazing and it took me exactly 3.49 seconds to decipher what it was made of. The moment I realized what it was made of, I felt... WOW!!! This is a quick thing to make at home too. The chutney was on a spicier side and accompanied the Acchari Paneer or rather complimented it.

*The Chutney was a simple mix of "Curd + Red Chilli Powder + Salt + Black Pepper Powder + Ground Nut Powder". A sure shot DIY & Try It At Home sorts. A quickie thing to make to accompany the starters at home.

Even before we could say "WOW!!!", the prawns and paneer vanished.

Always loved the Malai Kofta at Swagath. The taste is impeccable and is way different from other places. This is made in real Malai and the strands of Malai can be seen in the curry itself. Though the curry is a bit on the sweeter side, a few dribbles of Pepper transforms it to my liking. This was accompanied with Plain Naan.

Ordered Mutton Biryani & Prawns Pulav to complete the meal.

Overall, loved the food a lot. Enjoyed every bit of it. Should say, Swagath is on my Must be Visited Again list now.

Chicken Soup 50/-
Loose Prawns 190/-
Acchaari Paneer 125/-
Malai Kofta 100/-
Naan 30/-
Mutton Biryani 120/-
Prawns Pulav 155/-

Total Damage approx: 800/-
- Damage Recovered (10%, thanks to my Foodie Discount Card): 80/-
Total Damage at the end of the day: 720/-
Old 19th October 2010, 15:30   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Newbies in our office team hosted buffet lunch for us at Novotel last Friday.
Novotel :

I had invited some friends for dinner so hosted them to the "Saturday Night BBQ" (http://www.dineatnovotelhyderabad.co...ight-flyer.jpg & On Going | Novotel Hyderabad Convention Centre Restaurant) at Novotel. In all we were 4 couples.

Excellent food accompanied by superb beverages to wash the food down helped our group to sit there for nearly four hours ... could have continued to sit but the restaurant was closing down.

The staff were excellent in ensuring that my glass was never empty.

A live BBQ grill there served us Crab, Barracuda, Seer, Lady Fish, Chicken Frankfurters and many more non veg items apart from Mushrooms, Corn On Cob and many veggies. Another live counter was dishing out variety of chaats. The third live counter was making pasta to order while the 4th one was dishing out steamed dimsums (or momos). The regular buffet was huge and I could not even manage to inspect all the dishes, forget, trying them out.

The desserts must have been more than 50 in variety but I was attracted to the live station serving "Teppanyaki Ice Cream" or if I may call it "Ice Cream Sushi".

All in all, a very satisfying experience.

8 Buffets @ 1100 = 8800
Discount @ 50% = 4400
VAT @ 14.5% = 638
SC @ 2.5% = 110
Total = 5148
Paid 5500 including tip.

NANKING CR

Nanking CR at Banjara Hills is the new outlet belonging to the Nanking group. CR stands for Chinese Room. They have a capacity of 40 pax.

Had the most disappointing meal of all times there on sunday for lunch.

The place was empty barring one more family. Everything was wrong with the place. Dirty tables, greasy table tops. Only one word can describe the way they have maintained it : HORRIBLE.

I thought that the problem they have at Secunderabad (of old age waiters) would get resolved at the new outlet since young staff was there but the waiters though in their 20s and 30s were much more passed out than any other place in the world.

Food is horrible. I would not want to ever again eat there even if I am invited by someone.

2 chicken soups, 1 chicken spring roll, 1 chicken noodle, 1 garlic chicken and 2 cokes cost me 537.00. Tax was 4%. Paid 550 and came home unsatisfied.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th October 2010 at 21:00. Reason: Please do not discuss ALCOHOL on the forum. Thanks !
Old 21st October 2010, 13:39   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Useful links for Highway Travellers

Mcdie Locator

For North & East India

http://www.mcdonaldsindia.net/locator.aspx
For South & West India
restaurantlocator

CCD Outlets Locator

Store Locator

Type HPCL as the search string as CCD outlets are attached to HPCL outlets on the highways

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st October 2010 at 13:47. Reason: Removed tags
Old 21st October 2010, 13:47   #2531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mcdie Locator

For South & West India
restaurantlocator
8 in Hyderabad. They need to update it with one more at Himayathnagar in a few weeks time
Old 21st October 2010, 14:36   #2532
Senior - BHPian

We graced Ohris 70mm the other day night and in short the place is a complete "DISASTER".I am not sure what that place is all about?Service is non-existent,they served us Fresh Lime Soda in paper glasses:P,the place is such a shame and I am pretty sure all the garbage and the filth is conveniently passed into the lake!
Old 21st October 2010, 14:40   #2533
BHPian

Quote:
We graced Ohris 70mm the other day night and in short the place is a complete "DISASTER".I am not sure what that place is all about?Service is non-existent,they served us Fresh Lime Soda in paper glasses:P,the place is such a shame and I am pretty sure all the garbage and the filth is conveniently passed into the lake!

@Ranjit

I have been to Ohris 70mm during the afternoons.. and I like their lunch buffets as the spread is decent enough. I have never been there for dinner. Thanks for the update.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:37   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks God for your timely update ... I was thinking of it for this Saturday evening.

Is it true that Waterfront has a cover charge of 500 per person?
Old 21st October 2010, 15:41   #2535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Is it true that Waterfront has a cover charge of 500 per person?
Absolutely right. Its a ridiculous idea and i hate them just for that idea. They cant force us to pay a minimum

They charge Rs.350 from Mon-Fri and Rs.500 on Sat and Sunday.

Ohri's 70mm is going down the drain. The last time i visited also was not a great experience.

These are the list of Ohri's outlet which NEVER change in quality which is always excellent. Others are sometimes GOOD and most of the times, BAD

Mehfil
All restuarants at Ohri's Basheerbagh
Pickles Buffet ( if you go at a decent hour)

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st October 2010 at 15:45.

Most Viewed