Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 14:13   #2476
Senior - BHPian

I had been to VAKS bakery @ Karkhana last evening and ordered

Chicken Tikka sandwich- My favourite at VAKS, from now.
Chicken Burger- This was the best.
Veg grilled sandwich.-For wifey

I always love to visit this bakery for burgers and pastries.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:27   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Thanks for seconding my thought, Waseem. I thought only I felt that Sholay has started making food extra spicy .
I found that the dishes used a lot of green chilli and found it little hot for my family liking. Other spices were fine.
The good part was that there was no acidity that you typically get after eating chilli (hot) food.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:23   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had been to VAKS bakery @ Karkhana last evening and ordered

Chicken Tikka sandwich- My favourite at VAKS, from now.
Chicken Burger- This was the best.
Veg grilled sandwich.-For wifey

I always love to visit this bakery for burgers and pastries.
Try the Schrewsberry biscuits there,they are amazing,it is the fastest moving item on their rack!

OT:On Sholay,I find that the place can do with better interiors,at the moment I find that the place has too much of emptiness and too much of vacant space inside the restaurant.I know weird thought,but just my two cents!!
Old 6th October 2010, 13:31   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Try the Schrewsberry biscuits there,they are amazing,it is the fastest moving item on their rack!
Nothing beats the taste of Schrewsberry Biscuits from Pune. Whenever some one is travelling to Pune & back to Hyderabad, a couple of boxes of these biscuits are always ordered. Love the taste of Schrewsberry Biscuits a lot.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:35   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Nothing beats the taste of Schrewsberry Biscuits from Pune. Whenever some one is travelling to Pune & back to Hyderabad, a couple of boxes of these biscuits are always ordered. Love the taste of Schrewsberry Biscuits a lot.
Absolutely apart from the fresh Chitale's Bhakarwadis!!A must try thing in Pune. ----- Chitale Bandhu Mithaiwale -----
Old 6th October 2010, 14:09   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks. I will try them in my next visit.

Quote:
Nothing beats the taste of Schrewsberry Biscuits from Pune.
+1 on that.

I always make it a point to pick up a box from Kayani bakery @ camp whenever i visit pune or ask my cousin to do the honors.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:41   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I always make it a point to pick up a box from Kayani bakery @ camp whenever i visit pune or ask my cousin to do the honors.
Just down the road from Kayani Bakery in a lane is a Namkeen seller ... name is slipping from my mind ... some Brothers or something like that ... they make the best "dry fruit aloo lachcha". The amount of dry fruit one can find in their aloo lachcha is un-parelleled.

I guess if I had access to these 2 shops, I could easily consume 6 boxes of biscuits and 5 kilos of lachcha every month.
Old 6th October 2010, 17:15   #2483
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, the action has shifted from Hyderabad to Pune. Having spent some time in that lovely city. My favorites are :-

1. Irani Samosas in the irani hotel right opposite Aurora Towers in camp

2. Decent Biryani from Lucky in Deccan and Blue Nile in Camp. There is another outlet which is interiors or behind lanes in camp. Forgot the name, their biryani too was awesome

3. Marzorin's sandwiches in camp ( M.G Road). Not to mention the lovely eye-candy if you just standoutside. I met Milind Soman there once.

4. 1000 Oakes in MG for a lovely chilled out evening followed by all the hip joints in Dhole Patil ( D.P) Road

5. There is another burger joint behind 1000 oakes in camp which is enroute hadapsar. Best burger joint in pune.

6. German Bakery also has some lovely dishes and not to mention again the eye-candy they serve so well.

7. For roti shoti, we used to haunt a couple of joints near Null Stop, Bibewadi and near BVP in Kothrud.

Whew!!! that was some that came on top of my mind. That indeed brought back memories of 2 lovely years in Pune.

Coming back to reality :-

Yes, Sholay looks quite empty. They need to add some more furniture or jazz to make it look more cozy or welcome guests in hordes

Btw, i love the green chillies they use in their food and i dont find their food spicy. I mean its spicy but, bearable spicy.

And, i love their Meat Biryani too. Different flavour and the masala smells like its cooked in rose petals ( some similar smell) and its not a hyderabadi biryani par se but, me and wifey enjoy it immensely.

Come to think of it, i love biryani in almost every joint ( as in hyderabad it takes a complete nerd to spoil a biryani) as everyone doles out their own style of hyd biryani which is more or less good.

It can be termed bad only if rice is uncooked, meat is not tender and some ghastly smell comes from it. Otherwise, it comes on top of my rate-o-meter

Tonight? Sholay here we come !!!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th October 2010 at 17:17.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:11   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening 9 TBHPians met for dinner at SHOLAY

We ordered :-

3 Nov Veg Platters
Bathinde De Kukkad-2 No's
Mutton Rara
Mutton Rogan Josh
Assortment of breads
Chicken Biryani
Veg Kebab
Sarso Da Saag & Makki De Roti

Kebabs as usual were delectable and no fault finding there. However the green mint chutney burnt out tongue.

Bathinde De Kukkar and Meat dishes was superb. I stand corrected and would like to confess they indeed have toned up the spice levels for almost all dishes

Veg Kebabs were good.

First time, i was disappointed with their Biryani. Maybe because it was chicken or maybe it was due to time factor ( close to midnight) but, nevertheless yesterday their biryani was nothing to write home about.

Overall great food as usual but, due to spice levels going up the pleasure came down considerably.

I have personally warned everyone who was serving to get their act together fast as DOOM is lurking around the corner.

Need to visit them again soon to see if they heeded to our advice

Total Damages : Rs.4500 ( including a generious tip of Rs.275)
Old 7th October 2010, 11:39   #2485
Team-BHP Support

Banne Nawab's in the Yusuf Tekri Complex at Tolichowki

Takeaway.

1 Mutton Biryani: Rs 165.
Quantity is a little less. But the taste is supreme. One of my favorite biryani's where the flavour has totally entered the rice. Its cooked to perfection. Love it. Sadly the Mirchi ka salan is not so great. But the biryani itself is so good that you don't need any additives. The meat in the biryani is soft and tender, its just perfect.

1 haleem, Rs 95.
Nothing great, not bad either.

1 Sheekh Kabeb, Rs 230.
A lil salty but ok. This was a mix up by these guys, I had actually ordered for Reshmi Chicken kabebs. Realized the mix up when I got home. Next time I go, will open and check every bag before leaving the place.

2 Feerni, each at Rs 50.
Served cold in an earthen matka. Garnished with almonds. Its a nice desert.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:47   #2486
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grand Wok

As Navraatri has started from today. I am off NV food ( which essentially means no eating out) until Oct 17th.

Hence, last evening me and Mom decided to scale the great wall of china to see what is yonder.

Decided to head to " The Grand Wok" in Rd.No.1, Banjara Hills

Beautiful and empty parking which you can do it self without any fees.

Nice and pleasant decor

For dinner there are 2 buffets available ( 299++ and 399++) and we opted for the former as the later only as one beverage FREE.

You may be aware that this place started this unique concept of serving buffet on your table. Note,everything is unlimited. You can eat as much as you want.

Veg Manchow Soup : Mom went ga-ga over it

Chicken Hunan Soup : Thick and loaded with juicy pieces of chicken

3 Veg Starters
Crispy round balls dipped in honey : Crisy and tasty
Crispy Potato wedges in green chilly and some sauce : Mom loved this. I found it a bit bland but good taste.
Veg Manchuria : Delicious

3 Nov-Veg Starters
Chicken Drums of Heaven : Average. Not good and not bad either
Red Chilly Sliced Fish : Absolutely delectable. I had it as snack as well as asked for more with main course
Chilly Chicken ( Boneless) : Spicy and lovely

Main Course
Veg Fried Rice : Slightly uncooked rice, bland. It was average
Schezwan Veg Noodles : Very good
Veg Curry : Loaded with fresh veggies, mom liked it so much she normally eats in a balanced way went overboard.
Chicken curry in some sauce : Superb, Superb

Dessert
Vanilla Ice-cream with some sweet threaded chips : Delicious

We ordered refills for everything and also ordered 2 Thumbs-up

This meal was fit for a chinese king. Really good and service was pleasant, courteous and fast. It was a good surprise to see they didnt charge for the Thumbs up.

Total Damages : Rs.684 for a meal for two. Total VFM

Hydeez, i recommend we have a dinner meet here soon.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th October 2010 at 10:50.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:57   #2487
Senior - BHPian

I had my lunch yesterday at Hotel Shyam @ MG Road, opp Jain temple and ordered 2 thalis @ 160 (including Rs 20 as tips)

Great veg food which includes

Two sabzi,
two types of Daal
Crud
Roti's ( Wheat, Jowar etc)
Rice and Papad

They serve amazing Khichdi on Friday evenings.

Note-All the food items are cooked on Lakdi ka chula.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:25   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As Navraatri has started from today. I am off NV food ( which essentially means no eating out) until Oct 17th.

Hydeez, i recommend we have a dinner meet here soon.
Was the dessert Ice Cream with Honey Noodles? They really do make it well ...

Surprising that you did not mention their "CON" : 10% Service Charge. But I must hurriedly clarify here by adding that the VAT charged is 4% and not 14.5% so that does nullify the SC.

Keep a TBHP meet there and we will be able to certainly pressurise "Mr Sasank" to offer us both fish and prawns instead of the regular offer that one may choose any one of these two dishes.

Another plus is that since it is adjoining Xtreme Sports outlet, I managed to ensure that my throat was not parched.

Last edited by bblost : 8th October 2010 at 11:28. Reason: Please do not fully quote a large post. Thanks.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:07   #2489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Was the dessert Ice Cream with Honey Noodles? They really do make it well ...

Surprising that you did not mention their "CON" : 10% Service Charge. But I must hurriedly clarify here by adding that the VAT charged is 4% and not 14.5% so that does nullify the SC.
Exactly, it was some thin noodles with vanilla icecream and cherry on top. It was very tasty. We ordered thrice

Total SC charge in the bill was Rs.56 but, i still tipped Rs.20 which i normally dont when i see a SC charge but, did it yesterday as their service was attentive and fast.

As you said, Sashank will certainly accomodate with our own customized menu if we plan a nice dinner meet in advance. Btw, fish yesterday was awesome.Let's plan this dinner meet in Nov'10.

Till then let me count the calories that i am losing !
Old 8th October 2010, 17:28   #2490
BHPian

Post Navratri meet is much needed as i've been off Non-veg for past one month and would be fasting for another 10 days from today. So, want to have that dinner meet post the fasting season

BTW, the Fried Noodles with Ice Cream sounds like Darsaan to me. Darsaan is a desert made out of Fried Noodles, dipped in Honey/Sugar Syrup and Served with Ice Cream.

Most Viewed