Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 15:41   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Please stay clear of 70mm,its a flop movie!!!

Yes Waterfront had a cover charge of 750,not sure if they brought it down to 500!
Old 21st October 2010, 15:45   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Absolutely right. Its a ridiculous idea and i hate them just for that idea. They cant force us to pay a minimum

Ohri's 70mm is going down the drain. The last time i visited also was not a great experience.

These are the list of Ohri's outlet which NEVER change in quality. Others are sometimes GOOD and most of the times, BAD

Mehfil
All restuarants at Ohri's Basheerbagh
Pickles Buffet ( if you go at a decent hour)
Absolutely agree,the disaster at Ohris was they have some kind of a principle/rule not sure which is it!!but the rule or principle is that they never change your plates,the people come around asking you if you are done with your eating blah blah and then they just dump all the waste in your plate in the bigger plates that they are carrying and they return the same soiled plate back to you.My skin literally came off seeing this eeeeks.Dont tell me they dont have enough plates!!!!When I told them to change the plates,the guys just walked away.Phew!!Quite an experience.

People stick to Basheerbagh Ohris & Pickes at Secbad,all the others are a waste of time and energy and more importantly money!!!
Old 21st October 2010, 15:59   #2538
Senior - BHPian

I had one of the best chicken biriyani available in secunderabad for lunch @ Rs 80.

Place-KIMS Hospital Canteen, Ministers Road.

Long grains of rice, perfectly blended with spices.Available only on weekdays.

Will go back, again and again.
Old 21st October 2010, 16:53   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
People stick to Basheerbagh Ohris & Pickes at Secbad,all the others are a waste of time and energy and more importantly money!!!
I was at Ohri's Banjara Hills outlet called Tadka yesterday night with wife and kid.
Ordered Saboota Talwar (Ohri's style Tandoori Chicken), Black Daal, Raan-e-Shaan with one Butter Naan and 2 Tandoori Rotis.
A real hearty meal if I may say so.
The twist was that when one orders a Tandoori Roti, they serve 2 small Tandoori Rotis instead of 1 regular sized one. Pretty neat, I must say. Ended up getting 4 small rotis.
Anyway, got billed 1048 in total. Paid 1100.
The Raan and Daal could not be finished so was consumed yesterday at lunch between wife and me.

Still searching for my saturday night dinner venue ... Waterfront with cover charges of 500/750 makes me feel that I should not shortlist it ... any more suggestions apart from Ohri's ...

Tonight I get to eat at a festival called "Infinite Hilsa" ... a promotion at Hotel Green Park.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:11   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Still searching for my saturday night dinner venue
1.Chinese Pavilion

2.Anjappar(if its still open)

3.The Thali at Kuchipudi inside Katriya

and round it up with ice creams from Naturals!
Old 21st October 2010, 20:08   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely right. Its a ridiculous idea and i hate them just for that idea. They cant force us to pay a minimum

They charge Rs.350 from Mon-Fri and Rs.500 on Sat and Sunday.
When did they start this practice? I didn't notice in my last (and only, hence first ) visit to Waterfront around 3 months back. Of course, my Dad paid so I wouldn't really know. The food was good.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st October 2010, 20:09   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
8 Buffets @ 1100 = 8800
Discount @ 50% = 4400
VAT @ 14.5% = 638
SC @ 2.5% = 110
Total = 5148
Paid 5500 including tip.
How did you manage that 50% discount.

Quote:

NANKING CR

Nanking CR at Banjara Hills is the new outlet belonging to the Nanking group. CR stands for Chinese Room. They have a capacity of 40 pax.

Had the most disappointing meal of all times there on sunday for lunch.

The place was empty barring one more family. Everything was wrong with the place. Dirty tables, greasy table tops. Only one word can describe the way they have maintained it : HORRIBLE.
Thank God. We went there on Ganesh immersion day for lunch, there was waiting. We had waited for 15 mins and left for Subway. Earlier we were regular visitors of Chinese Room, it was reasonably priced with good quantity and quality though the waiters were always busy watching TV.
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:59   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Novotel :
8 Buffets @ 1100 = 8800
Discount @ 50% = 4400
VAT @ 14.5% = 638
SC @ 2.5% = 110
Total = 5148
Paid 5500 including tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
How did you manage that 50% discount.
Was gifted a coupon which said "50% discount for a group of minimum 6 and maximum 12 diners".

Now the search is on for another such coupon so that this time it can be used to have a Team-BHP feast ...

Quote:
Tonight I get to eat at a festival called "Infinite Hilsa" ... a promotion at Hotel Green Park.
The price was 399+. Do not know what the + stands for since I was a guest. I went there expecting that it will be a regular buffet with some Bengali specialities as additional items. However, except curd rice (I do not think it is a Bengali dish), the whole menu was only Bengali dishes. Live station serving llish and Kolkata Rolls (both egg & mutton keema) and a reasonable spread though not as elaborate as their regular buffet. All in all it was a real worthwhile experience to eat 100% Bengali food, a first in my life. Cannot comment on authenticity since I have never eaten Bengali food before though my host was enjoying and is a Bengali. Found Mishtoi Doi missing from the menu.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:39   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price was 399+. Do not know what the + stands for since I was a guest. I went there expecting that it will be a regular buffet with some Bengali specialities as additional items. However, except curd rice (I do not think it is a Bengali dish), the whole menu was only Bengali dishes. Live station serving llish and Kolkata Rolls (both egg & mutton keema) and a reasonable spread though not as elaborate as their regular buffet. All in all it was a real worthwhile experience to eat 100% Bengali food, a first in my life. Cannot comment on authenticity since I have never eaten Bengali food before though my host was enjoying and is a Bengali. Found Mishtoi Doi missing from the menu.
Bajaj Saab, till when is this on? I may want to go there!
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:29   #2545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
When did they start this practice? I didn't notice in my last (and only, hence first ) visit to Waterfront around 3 months back. Of course, my Dad paid so I wouldn't really know. The food was good.

Regards,
spadix
Right from day one. I remember visiting Waterfront for the first time with family during the first week of its opening and i got up and left the place when the waiter who took our order said the items you ordered works out to only Rs.1100 and you have to order until 1500 bucks ( we were 3 of us)

I felt totally insulted and created a huge scene in my inmitable style ( think a few waiters know me) and left the place in a huff.

This is the only "restuarant" in hyderabad that applies cover charges per person. I find it a ridiculous idea but, then dont know what their business model is. Probably apeing one of those popular London or NY restuarants where you need to book your table one month in advance.

Whatever, their menu is very limited and food is quite good. I enjoy sitting at their open backside with wooden flooring provided its a pleasant evening. Ambeince inside it just terrific, best in hyderabad possible followed by Zafraan Nirvana and Exotica.

Quote:
The price was 399+. Do not know what the + stands for since I was a guest
++ ( usually two pluses) stands for "taxes extra"

Even i dont recall eating Bengali food in detail. Maybe a few dishes here and there. Need to have a bengali feast soon to understand if my palate can take their cuisine as i know my palate is mostly tuned to NI food and south indian tiffins beyond that i dont like other cuisines much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would like to come if your footing the bill. Heard that Bengalis never say no to such request. Hope to get a positive response and invitation soon
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:49   #2546
BHPian

Went to Khyaati @ hi tech city for lunch.

Was amazed to see it being full house ( not many people know about it) ,guess its catching up to be the alternative to gur nihal dhaba.

We guys had :-

Fried Chilly Chicken -Full chakna itemthe masala was awesome
Natu kodi polusu- nice
Methi Chicken - Ok
Roti Basket- I specially like the one which has green chillies and mustard seeds
Paneer Makhanwala- Ok
Chicken & Egg Biryani - not nice

Total bill for 6 with tips INR 1000/-
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:13   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Ends on Sunday, 24th Oct 2010 ... needs table bookings at 2375-7575/6651-5151 ... Bengali Food Festival at Once Upon A Time, Begumpet on burrp! Hyderabad

Quote:
++ ( usually two pluses) stands for "taxes extra"
I meant that I was not sure if the buffet price is with only a + (14.5% VAT) or it is with ++ (14.5% VAT and ? Service Charges).
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:53   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Brunch on Sundays??

Hi folks, as you know I rarely come this side of the forum so I am not having much info on the availability of brunch buffet in Hyd or Sec-bad. Can any one please suggest one?
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:31   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I meant that I was not sure if the buffet price is with only a + (14.5% VAT) or it is with ++ (14.5% VAT and ? Service Charges).
That's exactly ++ means. Vat + Service charge. These days its very rare to not find service charge in your bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hi folks, as you know I rarely come this side of the forum so I am not having much info on the availability of brunch buffet in Hyd or Sec-bad. Can any one please suggest one?
If you havent been to The Grand Wok. Try it out.

At 229++ its worth it and you will be totally stuffed ( exactly as sunday brunches are supposed to make one)

Friday evening Mobike+1, Milecruncher+1, Rajesh Rawal and Silverwood went to Pakwaan, Tadbund

We ordered the following

Tandoori Chicken ( Awesome)
Hariyali Kebab (OK)
Chicken Some dish ( Very good)
Mutton Roganjosh ( STAY AWAY FROM THIS DISH)
Chicken Biryani (Average)

Overall, Pakwaan is good only at Tandoori Chicken and their Khameri style of Roti. Otherwise, all other stuff including the Biryani coming from his kitchen is absolutely below par.

Total Damages ( 5 No's) : Rs.1000
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:22   #2550
Senior - BHPian

I had been to ALPHA cafe @Secunderabad station.( SILVERWOOD +2) and ordered

Chicken biriyani-3
Egg pudding -4
Mineral water-3

One of the best chicken biriyani in town, however lacks ambiance.

Total damages-Rs 480, including tips.

Most Viewed