Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 17:15   #5881
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
If you are ok with the not -so famous Biryani joints, then I can recommend Mehfill at SD road for Biryani with live Qawwali. The Biryani tasted great a couple of times I had it there. Dont know about their consistency though.
I have been to Mehfill so many times in my life, I dont remember the count

There was a time used to visit Pickles for midnight buffet and their kitchen is same. I agree the ambience, food and service is good ( unlike and pleasant surprise for an Ohri's brand)

You should try the " Talwar Chicken" here. Mehfil introduced this first in Hyderabad.
Old 26th July 2013, 18:55   #5882
Senior - BHPian

P.S: Btw, interesting handle. What does it mean?

Hi Avi,

I am sure you know that amount of Telugu to understand the handle name! Any way, I will still decipher it for you.

Mandu- medicine/liquor(in some colloquial way)
Vindu- good meal spread
Pondu- will let this be explained by the "handle owner"
Old 27th July 2013, 09:45   #5883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Avi,

I am sure you know that amount of Telugu to understand the handle name! Any way, I will still decipher it for you.
Srikanth, I totally understood the meaning of the handle, I was just asking the owner in the sense that how in the world did he think of using that as a handle. It sounds like a dialogue from old telegu movie which has the song viha bojanambu

Yesterday for dinner was No. 1 and No. 2 Haleem of this season

Cafe 555 and Hyline

555 is pretty good. Thick, meaty, nice masala flavour and lots of cashews

Hyline was extremely smooth but, at same time quite meaty and mild on spices. But, little disappointed it had a little more bones that it should which is actually trademark of Hyline haleem. Nonetheless, a good haleem
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img_00000529_01.jpg  

Old 27th July 2013, 13:29   #5884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Folks, any pointers on simple vegetarian North Indian Thali/Roti curry joints. I like Naivedyam at Ameerpet Lal Bungalow, Some Bhojanalay at Kothaguds T junction 1st floor as an example. I want something similar to these. Simple, hygienic, tasty and nice.
I have been looking for restaurants or messes serving good quality north Indian food in Hyderabad, but couldn't find many. I used to enjoy the Pulkas and Subjis from Ghar Ka Khana (BTM Layout) in Bangalore. Swaad in Madhapur (behind the Image Gardens road) is pretty good and is the only restaurant that I visit regularly to eat simple north Indian thali.
Old 27th July 2013, 13:35   #5885

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Folks, any pointers on simple vegetarian North Indian Thali/Roti curry joints. I like Naivedyam at Ameerpet Lal Bungalow, Some Bhojanalay at Kothaguds T junction 1st floor as an example. I want something similar to these. Simple, hygienic, tasty and nice.
There is a simple dhaba in Ameerpet - diagonally opposite Delhi Mithai wala, and before the Gurudwara, on the first floor. Its called Balaji Dhaba or Hari Balaji Dhaba. Simple, yummy, most reasonably priced, and for most dishes, even accepts half-plate requests/orders. Its a very steep and narrow staircase, so elderly people will have a problem. Has two halls - one general, and one family section. Nothing posh, its just functional, prompt and good food. Its run by marwadi guys, they're friendly and the pricing is surprisingly moderate. Curries are priced between 60-110, rice items between 50-100 or thereabouts, snacks are between 70-100, etc. But the food is great, and he's always playing old melodies - Kishore, Rafi, etc. Excellent place to take parcels from. Very generous portions. Hope this helps. ONLY vegetarian food, though !
Old 29th July 2013, 13:26   #5886
Distinguished - BHPian

After a long time, over the weekend been to "Blue Diamond" at Basheerbagh for some chinese food

Ambience is quite nice. Cosy and feels decently upmarket if not really posh

Ordered the following :-

Chicken DrumSticks (Rs.210)

Very good. I found it better than the Nanking ones and style, quantity is almost the same

Egg Fried Rice (Rs.90)

Good. It was not great but, not bad either

Soya Bean Chilly Fishh (Rs. 210)

This was very nice. Mildly spicy gravy with huge chillies in them and fish was soft and non-smelly just like how we like it

Thumbs-Up ( Rs. 35 each)

I think we should visit this place more often now as its really VFM place and seemed better than Nanking for sure.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:51   #5887
Senior - BHPian

Just Punjabi Grill-Kondapur

Our search for the most authentic Punjabi eatout has finally borne some fruit.Found this cross breed between a Dhaba and a restaurant kind of place opposite Jayabheri Enclave Arch on the Kondapur-Gachibowli road.It is run by a Sikh couple and I must admit the food was fabulous and the aroma that was wafting through from the open kitchen was tantalising!

The rotis were perfectly made and no red color on the tikkas-what a relief.I couldnt but notice that the place seemed to be a hot favourite among the people in Kondapur-hitec as people were coming in hordes and hogging-really hogging.We decided to do a takeaway and eat in the car.So ordered 4 rotis and one portion of chicken tikka.Noticed orders were being excecuted quickly and service looked to fast.Even the takeaway order did not take more than 10minutes and the tikkas were perfectly done.Very highly reccomended and the prices are very moderate.Most of the items priced in the range of INR 150 and the rotis at INR 15 a piece.
Old 29th July 2013, 19:14   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or is saarvi's haleem not as good as last years' ? Anyone know the best joints for Haleem now? Stupid question, I know coming from a Hyderabadi, but I've been in B'lore this season and I want to be prepared when I get back
Old 29th July 2013, 22:46   #5889
BHPian

Re: Just Punjabi Grill-Kondapur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Our search for the most authentic Punjabi eatout has finally borne some fruit.
I know this place, though I can't quite remember the name ; have been there for lunch a couple of times. Their Butter Chicken was really good. By the way, did you just come all the way to Kondapur searching for good food. You are true champion.
Old 29th July 2013, 22:49   #5890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post

I know this place, though I can't quite remember the name ; have been there for lunch a couple of times. Their Butter Chicken was really good. By the way, did you just come all the way to Kondapur searching for good food. You are true champion.
Haha no hardly eat out now a days.had to go to the yonex showroom at PGBA and thats when we saw this Just Punjabi Grill and glad it was a good find
Old 30th July 2013, 13:14   #5891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is it just me or is saarvi's haleem not as good as last years' ? Anyone know the best joints for Haleem now? Stupid question, I know coming from a Hyderabadi, but I've been in B'lore this season and I want to be prepared when I get back
Sarvi has totally lost the plot this year on Haleem. I have tasted their Haleem twice and both times it was mediocre and iam not going back again this season

According to me the best haleem this season are as follows in sequential order :-

1. Cafe 555
2. Shah Ghouse
3. Hyline
4. Shadab ( At Old City, take away at Banjara Hills was average)

Thereafter, its a free-for-all
Old 30th July 2013, 21:08   #5892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sarvi has totally lost the plot this year on Haleem. I have tasted their Haleem twice and both times it was mediocre and iam not going back again this season
I second this. I had it last Saturday and it was kind of okay. No great shakes. There was hardly any crowd. The only reason I went there is because it was good last year. I should've skipped it and gone to 555.
Old 31st July 2013, 18:55   #5893
BHPian

My best Haleem this season is Shah Ghouse. It was my best last season as well! Its just amazing!!

Have been to Bluefox Kondapur last week with colleagues!!
My verdict is "Fantastic" and I highly recommend this place to all the food lovers around Madhapur and Kondapur area.
We tried the below. I dont remember the price of the dishes as the bill was paid by a team member leaving our organization

Apollo Fish (Excellent - very tasty)
Chicken Spring Rolls (Excellent)
Mutton Kali Mirch
Mushroom starter (Excellent)
1 aaloo and 1 panneer starter (very good)
Hot n Sour chicken soup (good - may not be one of the best I have tasted)
Butter naan, tandoori rotis
Methi Murg(Good)
Kheema Mutter (Excellent)
And some veg dishes which I did not focus on!!

Total bill came to approx 5k for 11 pax. It was a total VFM deal!!

Could someone suggest the best option between Atiroopa and Prakruta at Alankrita resorts? Planning to visit sometime soon!
Old 1st August 2013, 11:20   #5894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
My best Haleem this season is Shah Ghouse. It was my best last season as well! Its just amazing!!
I had couple of spoonfuls of Shahghouse take away haleem @ Banjara Hills outlet last week. It was excellent. Right consistency & taste.
Old 1st August 2013, 12:20   #5895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was this at Tolichowki or Shalibanda? We had it at Shalibanda and it was definetly not better than 555

Need to try it at TC which will happen this saturday

Quote:
Have been to Bluefox Kondapur last week with colleagues!!My verdict is "Fantastic" and I highly recommend this place to all the food lovers around Madhapur and Kondapur area.
I have been a huge fan of BF from decades and nice to know they are maintaining the quality at all outlets. I have been to their secbad, ameerpet outlet apart from their main one in Himayathnagar

I still feel their Himyathnagar is the best in terms of food quality and ambience (i could be biased because its walking distance from my home)

Most Viewed