Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 18:45   #5776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
One more good place to have Chicken Biryani in Hyderabad is a KIMS hospital canteen
Oh ya....I attest to that. KIMS canteen as such serves spicy n tasty food unlike any hospital.

Regarding fish n chips I was never satisfied in Hyderabad. The fish fry usually looks like an oily fish pakora and the "chips" are usually thin n soggy french fries.

A so called fish n chip outlet called "Picadilly" something has opened at InOrbit food court but they too disappointed me.

I love the authentic crumbed or beer battered fish drizzled with vinegar and accompanied by thick cut chips....yummmm!
Old 12th June 2013, 21:35   #5777
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Regarding fish n chips I was never satisfied in Hyderabad. The fish fry usually looks like an oily fish pakora and the "chips" are usually thin n soggy french fries.

A so called fish n chip outlet called "Picadilly" something has opened at InOrbit food court but they too disappointed me.

I love the authentic crumbed or beer battered fish drizzled with vinegar and accompanied by thick cut chips....yummmm!
Agree, the fish is always disappointing. I have tried at Truffles as well as Eat 3 in the last 2 months and both were bad.

Anyway I found on Zomato that 'Chilli's' in In-orbit serves Fish and Chips. Though I haven't tasted it from there, I presume it should be good, going by all the other food I have eaten there.

Also I have my own cheaper way of enjoying Fish and Chips. Go to Prawn Crunch (there's one at Heritage SuperMarket Miyapur-Bachupally rd and one at GVK one) , order for their Fish Fillet (they make it on a grill if you ask for it) and fry your own Mcain smily's at home. . Never goes wrong
Old 13th June 2013, 09:52   #5778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Where do you get the best Fish & Chips in town?
One of the best Fish and Chips along with tartar sauce I enjoyed at "Sailing Club Annexe"

Please ask Raveendrra to host us there for a dinner. We normally go there for dinner around once in 1-2 months. Its been over a month now that we havent been there.

I love Sailing club for great ambience ( sitting by the lake), super awesome food ( Cut Mirchi, Mutton Roganjosh, Boti Kebabs and Sheek Kebabs are to die for. But, their Fish and Chips are legendary)

Shall we do it this saturday?
Old 14th June 2013, 11:54   #5779
PVS
BHPian

VASANTA BHAWAN - MANA ILLU

Last Sunday evening, we visited Vasanta Bhawan at Road No: 14, Banjara Hills. MY elder daughter had to go to school the next morning(June 10th), so we decided to head out early, finish dinner and head back home early. That decision, proved to be quite eventfull as we were to find out later.

We reached Vasanta Bhawan by around 06:40 pm, and immediately got a table, as the evening crowd was yet to start picking up. The decor and the ambience is nice and quite pleasant. The photo quality is none too great, as I clicked it from my XPeria Mini.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-interior.jpg
Throught our 1 hour plus stay there, they were playing Enigma - The Child In Us - Prasannavadana, and though it did seem soothing at first, over a period of time, it got boring.

At every table, you have four different types of chutneys available, and they are tasty.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-fourchutneys.jpg
The sambar is served freely, in typical Chennai style, is tasty, and a welcome departure from the sambar that is served in many Udupi eateries in town.

Initially, I thought of having South Indian meals, but apparently that is only served at Lunch, and there was no mention of the timings in the menu card.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-menucard.jpg
Nevertheless, we had a wide range of items - Idli, Uthappam, Rava Dosa,Masala Dosa, washed down with hot and piping filter coffee towards the end. Some of us had quasi-Chinese items like Gobi Manchuri and American Chopsuey.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-uthappam.jpg
The damages came to around Rs 1401/-, out of which around Rs 1165/- was for food and the remaining for VAT, Service Tax and Service Charges(Rs 55/-). So you don't need to pay further tips.

The place was choc-a-block when we left at around 08:10 pm, with around 20 names in the wait list. They don't take reservations, so you would be better off, if you are a bit early for a weekend dinner. And they start taking orders for Chinese items, only after 7:00 pm.

Overall a good dining experience. Recommended for a visit.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:04   #5780
Team-BHP Support

Glad you liked Vasantha Bhavan.
I was there earlier in the evening to take idly (1 plate), Vada (2 plates) and Bonda (1 plate) as parcel. Total was Rs 315/-

Had requested for extra sambhar and the guys obliged with an extra container.
Enjoyed them at home with a surprised and a very happy family.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:33   #5781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
VASANTA BHAWAN - MANA ILLU

Last Sunday evening, we visited Vasanta Bhawan at Road No: 14, Banjara Hills.
PVS, good to see your contribution here. Iam glad to see when people contribute on this thread.

Some folks, I note are only information consumers ( Ask for info, then disappear. Re-appear, ask for info, again disappear. Rinse and Repeat)

Will check out this place. It seems like a Chutney spin-off. I mean, in terms of chutneys placed on table, their decor looks a bit Chutynish and pricing is definetly Chutniyish as everything seems to be in Rs.60-100 bucks range for south indian snacks which is expensive not cheap.

Hope they dont taste like Chutneys as I just hate that place
Old 14th June 2013, 14:40   #5782
PVS
BHPian

Oh no Avi, these guys are definetely not a Chutneys spin-off. These guys are big time in Chennai, and its good that they have bought the same taste and quality here. If not for anything else, go there for the Sambar!

And I am not going anywhere near Chutneys in the near future!!
Now only if Saravana Bhawan comes up, things will get more exciting!!

Last edited by PVS : 14th June 2013 at 14:41. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 14th June 2013, 15:01   #5783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Idly (1 plate), Vada (2 plates) and Bonda (1 plate) as parcel. Total was Rs 315/-
Had requested for extra sambhar and the guys obliged with an extra container.
That is quite expensive for a take away. Gone are the days when hyderabad was cheap for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
south indian snacks which is expensive not cheap.
+1. Can you please suggest a good joint for mexican/american cuisine.
Old 14th June 2013, 15:14   #5784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Can you please suggest a good joint for mexican/american cuisine.
Two places that instantly come to mind are:

1. TGIF in the Cinemax building rd#3 Banjara hills

2. Hardrock Cafe at GVK-1 Banjara hills.

There is also a mexican restaurant at Novotel (hitech city) whose name I cannot recollect.

Definitely no cheap options!
Old 14th June 2013, 15:21   #5785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is quite expensive for a take away. Gone are the days when hyderabad was cheap for food.
The prices for the dine-in and parcel are the same.
The only difference is parcel charges in place of service charges.

Hyderabad still has some decent places that don't charge a lot.
For dinner I had taken a parcel from Prince Mehidpatnam.

Chicken Biryani (Rs 100), Grill Chicken 1/2 (Rs 80) and one sheik kebeb (Rs 50).
Total: Rs 230
Old 14th June 2013, 15:50   #5786
BHPian

Quote:
There is also a mexican restaurant at Novotel (hitech city) whose name I cannot recollect.

Definitely no cheap options!
That would be la Cantina. Novotel works out to be reasonably priced only if you have a membership card and 2 people use it to get 50% discount.
Old 14th June 2013, 15:52   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Its La Cantina.

Other option is chillis at inorbit mall.(you'll have to find in the menu whats authentic mexican though)
Old 14th June 2013, 16:57   #5788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, Mexican. After such a long time

There used to be a decent Mexican place called "Tex Mex" which was on the KBR Park road. They were the closest to being authentic in Hyderabad at reasonable prices for their Burritos, Enchiladas and Tortillas....Is it still around?

Another place you can try is Chilli's in Inorbit Mall. Good Mexican Stuff

Well, La Cantina at Novotel is there for the big spenders and I honestly dont like 5* food so please do expect raving reviews for high end restuarants barring a few here and there.

After this thought, now i can kill and miam for thick burrito filled with black beans, lamb/chicken, jalapenos, hot sauce and all other stuff that it normally comes with...Heaven !!!
Old 14th June 2013, 17:15   #5789
BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt Indijoe count under Mexican/American. Had been there with my better half and quite enjoyed their offerings. But its on the expensive side though. The ambience is quite good and service is quite prompt. Would recommend it to members here.
Old 14th June 2013, 17:48   #5790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Doesnt Indijoe count under Mexican/American. Had been there with my better half and quite enjoyed their offerings. But its on the expensive side though. The ambience is quite good and service is quite prompt. Would recommend it to members here.
Thanks for pointing that out. Totally agree, Indijoe is one of the best restuarants and not only serve the best sizzlers in town but, also quite renowned for their global cuisine including mexican and others

Best is to try their VFM Rs.550 ( around that price) buffet wherein you can try a bit of mexican, a bit of italian and a bit of american ( not that i know there is an american cuisine except for meat slapped in between two buns...and cooked in "legendary" ingredients and sauce ( as quoted "regularly" by Adam Richmond in Man vs. Food...god knows whats legendary about a sauce...)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks