Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:03   #1081
BHPian

Gone Baby Gone - seen last week-end...a mystery/thriller/drama about a missing child and a couple of private investigators trying to unravel the truth behind the "kidnapping".

Some very good actors (Morgan Freeman & Ed Harris) along with a couple of newcomers (Casey Affleck - brother of Ben Affleck who is the director here!) . Did not like too much of the younger Affleck and the biggies are a bit wasted.

An OK film with a twist in the end (although predictable) and which shows the sordid and corrupt side of Boston. Also posing the question of
Not a bad movie, but nothing really great either.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:02   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Well, The DVD cover itself shows whether its the rated or unrated version. I was not talking only about the love making scene's, its the expressions that you miss when you get the edited versions. The expression made by Giamatti when he sees Church in bed, priceless! That's what you normally miss out in edited versions, the love making scene though was a bonus .

Thats the reason why i don't subscribe to Bigflix or Netflix. I have 3-4 good DVD rentals in my area in Bandra West and i just frequent them all to get maximum movies of my choice. I do mind paying 100 bucks per DVD but hey atleast i get my choice.
I have returned the DVD so no way of finding out what version it was but i recall it was a green cover with lots of appreciative comments from various media channels etc. Btw, that experession was shown in the version that i watched, so i didnt miss it

Btw, do you pay Rs.100 for each DVD that you watch? Isn't that day light robbery? I thought regular DVD rental fellows charge Rs.20-Rs.30 per movie?

How is the movie " Redline" ??? I got it delivered this morning...LOL
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:18   #1083
BHPian

20/30? Its 50 over here for a DVD and 30 for a VCD at the rental shop I go to..
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:38   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
20/30? Its 50 over here for a DVD and 30 for a VCD at the rental shop I go to..
That just reinforces my believe that Hyderabad is a way cheaper place to survive than anywhere else

Anyways, for me it works out Rs.6.57/movie via. Bigflix, so i am not complaining at all
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:33   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Gran Torino' Yesterday night.

Summary from IMDB -
Walt Kowalski is a widower who holds onto his prejudices despite the changes in his Michigan neighborhood and the world around him. Kowalski is a grumpy, tough-minded, unhappy an old man, who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1972 Gran Torino he keeps in mint condition. When his neighbor Thao, a young Hmong teenager under pressure from his gang member cousin, tries to steal his Gran Torino, Kowalski sets out to reform the youth. Drawn against his will into the life of Thao's family, Kowalski is soon taking steps to protect them from the gangs that infest their neighborhood. Written by alfiehitchie
In Michigan, the grumpy widower Walt Kowalski is a Korean War veteran full of prejudice that has just lost his beloved wife Dorothy. He is one of the last Caucasian Americans in his neighborhood and does not have good relationship with his sons and their families; therefore he is a lonely man. When his teenager neighbor Thao Vang Lor is pressed by his cousin Smokie to join his Hmong gang, he is assigned to steal the Gran Torino of Walt as part of his initiation in the gang. However he is surprised by the old man and his traditional family feels ashamed with the incident. Later Walt saves Thao first and his sister Sue Lor from gangs and he has the gratitude of his next door neighbors and the neighborhood. On the day of his birthday, Walt is invited by Sue to join her family reunion and he begins a relationship with his neighbors, helping Thao to get a job. However he realizes that the Hmong gang disturbs the neighborhood and after a coward attack of the gangster, Walt decides to take an ultimate attitude.

Highly impressive acting by Clint and the rest of the cast.
A bit sadistic movie.

Rating - 4/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-gran_torino.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2009, 16:59   #1086
BHPian

Saw GT a month or two ago, and yes I thought it was a pretty good movie too.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:04   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How is the movie " Redline" ??? I got it delivered this morning...LOL
Watched this movie. No head and tail for the story, just crammed some good cars, half naked women and voila you got a car movie.

Only thing i liked is the super hot heroine ( Nadja Brolin), its worth taking that torture only to gape at her. And, ofcourse, also loved the baby lambo, ferrari, maserati and the ford gt

1/5
Old 24th September 2009, 13:52   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the opinion/s for the movie " Mullohland Drive"?
Old 24th September 2009, 17:14   #1089
BHPian

Watched The Hangover last night. A laugh riot. But liberal usage of profanities
3.5/5.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:02   #1090
BHPian

saw The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009) - very interesting movie - keeps you glued the whole time
3.75/5
Old 27th September 2009, 23:49   #1091
BHPian

I decided to take a break from the regular action-thriller genre and saw a very different genre of movies, the kind I don't normally watch

These are the movies I saw today and surprisingly enjoyed each one of them

Chocolat (Chocolat (2000)) - 3.75/5
Dakota Skye (Dakota Skye (2008)) - 3/5
Before Sunrise (Before Sunrise (1995)) 4/5
Before Sunset (Before Sunset (2004)) 3.75/5
Old 28th September 2009, 01:48   #1092
Senior - BHPian

watched the following
Crank: 2.5/5
ingloriouse b*stards-3.5/5
Old 28th September 2009, 18:25   #1093
BHPian

I saw 2 movies so far today

The Fall (The Fall (2006)) a great story of a stuntman and a little girl in hospital and their vivid imagination 4/5

The Savages (The Savages (2007)) which revolves around how 2 siblings have to take care of their abusive father when he falls sick and how that experience brings their own inner demons out 3/5
Old 29th September 2009, 02:18   #1094

Watched Empire of the sun (1995) a few days ago. Christian Bale's 1st movie. Pretty impressive.
Old 29th September 2009, 10:31   #1095
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle

Starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, it is quite catchy and mushy romantic flick. Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) is a widower with a son who is desperate to have a new Mom. He calls in a radio show to express his interest for a new Mom and the whole of America listens including Annie (Meg Ryan). Annie is deeply touched inspite of already having a fiancee in Walter (Bill Pullman). As the days go by, Annie gets more and more attracted towards Sam inspite of not having met. The rest of the movie is all about Sam dating women for a new wife and Annie trying hard to resist her temptation to meet Sam.

The movie is very predictable but is a good weekend watch.

Rating 3/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-sleepless_in_seattle_01.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks