Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 20:19   #3406
Team-BHP Support

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
It's been a year since the movie is out. If you have not watched, it is high time now.
I have seen it since long. This was for people who haven't seen it.

If we are revealing the climax of the movie, especially for a movie where the climax actually makes the movie worthwhile, we should at least put a spoiler alert in the beginning of the post.

Why spoil the fun for others ?
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:12   #3407
Senior - BHPian

King's Speech is an awesome movie. Even though its slow and predictable, you do not get bored at any point in time. Definitely a must watch.
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:47   #3408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
King's Speech is an awesome movie. Even though its slow and predictable, you do not get bored at any point in time. Definitely a must watch.
Saw The King's Speech last night.

Colin Firth's acting as a stammerer is incredible. Even close up shots of when is trying to speak but the voice is not coming out is incredible. A definitely must watch.

Rating 4/5
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:24   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post

I'm a sucker for Zombie stuff
The Serpent and the Rainbow, hope you've seen it!
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:39   #3410
BHPian

The American (George Clooney)

An assassin lying low in Italy gets a new assignment. A monotonous life in the small town is punctuated with involvement with a prostitute, attack on life and philosophical discussions with a priest.

4/5

For people expecting a fast paced, action oriented thriller on lines of the Bourne trilogy or MI series - this will be total opposite. The dialogues are sparse and action is minimal. Camera position is fixed in most scenes. What I did like in the movie is the detached competence that Clooney brings to the character being played.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:34   #3411
Distinguished - BHPian

Been a crazy last few days at work and no time for watching movies.

Happened to see " Lady in Water" by Night Shymalan for maybe 15 minutes and found it not too interesting so switched off.

Not sure if i am right or wrong in doing that.

P.S: How is "Death at Funeral". I heard its a good brit comedy movie and I think Welcome copied it? True?
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:37   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: How is "Death at Funeral". I heard its a good brit comedy movie and I think Welcome copied it? True?
Its a great movie!!!
I loved it.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:47   #3413
BANNED

Quote:
Happened to see " Lady in Water" by Night Shymalan for maybe 15 minutes and found it not too interesting so switched off.
It's Ok. May be worth watching once, that's all.

Quote:

Yes. Welcome is a copy. Death at a Funeral is not a laugh a minute comedy, but a nice light movie.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:39   #3414
Senior - BHPian

The Punisher:

Worthless movie! Filmed on the lines of Indian cinema where the hero is unscathed even after getting pierced and being shot at least 5 times. The hero is also the main protagonist in "the Mist" (cant recall his name). John Travolta as the villian is wasted and does not have scope to perform to his full potential. But he shines in a few scenes. On the whole, a boring revenge flick. Give it a miss!

Rating: 1/5

I have the sequel "Punisher:War Zone" on the HDD. Will delete both the movies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Death at a Funeral is not a laugh a minute comedy, but a nice light movie.
+1! It has the subtle humor which can have you in splits in some scenes and bring a smile in a few others. Like carboy says a nice light movie

Last edited by abhinav.s : 2nd March 2011 at 18:55.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:58   #3415
BHPian

Quote:
Been a crazy last few days at work and no time for watching movies.

Not sure if i am right or wrong in doing that.

Contrary to other reviews I quite liked Lady in the Water. There are several interesting characters in the movie and the acting's not bad either. Good fantasy movie.

Death at a Funeral is a hilarious movie!!! I have seen the British version which I think would be better than the Hollywood version.
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:21   #3416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

Death at a Funeral is a hilarious movie!!! I have seen the British version which I think would be better than the Hollywood version.
I didn't know there was a Hollywood version.
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:59   #3417
BHPian

The King's Speech is definitely one worthy of an Oscar nomination, but not really sure if Best Picture was really deserved. Of course, it follows a typical sports (read Boxing) movie theme, only here instead of Punches being thrown, there is a Stammer which is the opponent. What makes the movie captivating and hugely satisfying are Firth's and Rush's performances. Of course, Colin Firth did take home Best Actor, but I found Rush's presence to be more entertaining. I would have given him the Best Supporting Actor title over Christian (Batman) Bale.

Coming to another Oscar nominated movie, True Grit is a remake of an old John Wayne starrer of the same name, of course, with a Coen brothers signature twist to the whole thing. An entertaining movie with good pacing and dialogue, True Grit's real star is Hailee Steinfeld, whose presence on screen is magnetic. And she mouths her dialogues with such poise that it is hard to believe that she is just 14. Jeff Bridges, reliable as ever, seems to channel 'The Dude' even in this performance as a U.S. Marshal. Matt Damon is understated and is a fitting foil to Bridges.

All in all, both movies are definitely worthy of their nominations and wins.
Of course, I have not seen the Black Swan. But for best picture, 'The Social Network' and 'Inception' are two other movies I believe deserved to take the gong.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:24   #3418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

You were spot on about this movie, Newpunter.
This movie was like a frame after frame of stunning photographs! What is it with Swedish directors and their movies! "Kaun chakki ka aata khaate hain ye log"

Its the story of a lonely 12 year old boy Oskar, bullied at school, with divorced parents, who befriends another 12 year old girl Eli, who just happens to be a vampire. Both of them being lonely, find company in each other and their friendship starts to grow, in spite of Eli telling Oskar that she is a vampire. From their friendship. Oskar finds the strength to fight back the school bullies as well. Well, if you have a vampire as your friend, i guess it helps a great deal!

Of course its not your typical vampire movie and that is what makes this film special. It breaks the mold. Something similar to what District 9 did to alien movies.
Thanks Amitoj, gotta watch it today. I normally look forward for your review and it has never failed yet ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I felt Shutter Island had one of the best endings i have seen from a recent film.
Couldn't agree more. The ending just left me my mouth wide open. One of the best endings of some recent films.

Haven't been watching many movies recently. Last I watched was 127 hours and Unstoppable. They are definitely watchable.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:39   #3419
BHPian

Fargo-check This One!

guys if you haven't watched FARGO..you definitely need to.

William Macy - Frances McDormand starring dark comedy...

Bill Macy's inept crime falls apart due to his and his henchmen's bungling and the persistent police work of pregnant Marge Gunderson.

Then there's " A simple Plan"

Two brothers and a friend find $4 million in the cockpit of a downed plane. The pilot is dead. No one is looking for the money. To keep it..or
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:33   #3420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post

+1, I loved this movie and watch it often to catch a laugh. If you guys loved this , you would probably like one more british comedy called 'Wild Target' starring Bill Nighy, Rupert Grint (of Harry Potter fame) and Emily Blunt (ooh, she looks cute!!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks