Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2011, 22:36   #3496
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Those who liked "City of God" should also check out "Tropa de Elite", also called the Elite Squad.
It's about an elite team of policemen that fights the drug mafia of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. Compelling stuff.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:18   #3497
Team-BHP Support

Watched this movie called Hall Pass a few days ago. Really, really funny. I think this one was as good as Hangover (yes im one of those who thinks Hangover is probably the best 'recent' comedy). Recommended to anyone who wants to have a good laugh. 4/5 for me.
Old 20th March 2011, 11:38   #3498
BHPian

Any reviews on The Hole and Battle: Los Angeles??? Planing to watch them
Old 20th March 2011, 12:01   #3499
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend it was 'Battle : LA' - A movie which is 20 minutes too long in the middle. It starts well, ends on a open note - but bored in a 15-20 minute piece in the midst of that. Average alien movie in my books - 3/5

Today it was 'The Lincoln Lawyer' - nice thriller with twists in the middle. Predictable sometimes, but nice. Worth watching and Matthew McConaughey pulls it off smooth. Marisa Tomei is also good, but underused. 4/5 by me.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:40   #3500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
One of my favorites.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an horrible cunt... me.

The line you are referring is..... for other fans' sake to read.

And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mom to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a piss head. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterward, of course, but you don't want to go sieving' through pig ****, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".
You made my day, brilliant piece of dialogue considering the characters and situation of the movie. I remember "most" of above dialogue by heart too

Watched a couple of movies over the weekend.

" A Fish Called Wanda" starring John Cleese, Kevin Kline, Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Palin

This movie is about a jewellery heist by Kevin, Jamie and 2 more guys and a comedy of errors, double crossing and case of mistaken identities galore.

I am surprised that I missed seeing this movie all this long.

It's a roller coaster ride all through the movie and is racy, fast paced and brings a smile on your face and keeps it there till end of the movie type of a movie.

Kevin Kline won best support actor award for his role and worth it too.

John Cleese who wrote the story was also terribly comic in his proper stiff upper lip and brit accent. Loved his role. And, boy at 58, is he fit or what?

Jamie was fluent as con artist and was the central character of this movie.

Michael was brilliant as a stuttering team member who is a huge lover of animals.

It's an awesome movie with not a minute of boredom outlining the story of a bunch of nitwits trying to outwit each other. This movie reminded me a bit of LS2SB. A must watch movie for comedy/crimer caper lovers

4.5/5
Old 21st March 2011, 15:10   #3501
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
" A Fish Called Wanda" starring John Cleese, Kevin Kline, Jamie Lee Curtis and Michael Palin

This movie is about a jewellery heist by Kevin, Jamie and 2 more guys and a comedy of errors, double crossing and case of mistaken identities galore.

I am surprised that I missed seeing this movie all this long.
There is almost the same cast in "Fierce Creatures" - not as good as "Fish called Wanda", but it's surely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

And Bigflix does have the movie.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:19   #3502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
John Cleese who wrote the story was also terribly comic in his proper stiff upper lip and brit accent. Loved his role. And, boy at 58, is he fit or what?
He was 49 then, that's not too old.

Kevin Kline is very very different here compared to his role in Dave.

Dave, now that's a very good movie. A must watch.

I'll also suggest "A distinguished Gentlemen", one of the rare comic gems from Eddie Murphy. It is about a con artist who turns to politics purely to upgrade his con game. While running a con in a senator's home, he overhears a conversation and realizes that politicians are the real con men and he is just an amateur. Then he runs for congress...

Last edited by Samurai : 21st March 2011 at 15:24.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:31   #3503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
There is almost the same cast in "Fierce Creatures" - not as good as "Fish called Wanda", but it's surely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. And Bigflix does have the movie.
Thanks for the Recco. Will check that out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He was 49 then, that's not too old.

Kevin Kline is very very different here compared to his role in Dave.

Dave, now that's a very good movie. A must watch.

I'll also suggest "A distinguished Gentlemen", one of the rare comic gems from Eddie Murphy. It is about a con artist who turns to politics purely to upgrade his con game. While running a con in a senator's home, he overhears a conversation and realizes that politicians are the real con men and he is just an amateur. Then he runs for congress...
Thanks for the Recco. Sounds like an interesting storyline with a hint of "Wag the Dog". Unfortunately, Bigflix dont have it now. And, "Dave" is in a VCD format which i dont watch.

Btw, John Cleese was 58 years old in 1998 when the movie released. He is now 71.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:38   #3504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw, John Cleese was 58 years old in 1998 when the movie released. He is now 71.
A Fish called Wanda was made in 1988.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:43   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
I think the movie was released in 1988.

Last edited by JMaruru : 21st March 2011 at 15:45.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:51   #3506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A Fish called Wanda was made in 1988.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I think the movie was released in 1988.
My bad. It was indeed released in 1988
Old 21st March 2011, 17:01   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "Salt" starring Angelina Jolie and Liev Schrieber

Its a fast paced action movie revolving around one of the most ex-popular theme of cold war and enimity between Russia and USA.

The story line though is completely fictious keeps you guessing which side is SALT really is backing. Hence, the very apt tag line for this movie.

Most of the action scenes were executed flawlessly but, unbeilevable for a frail looking AJ.

Maybe they should have starred Brad Pitt in this movie to make it more interesting. Nothing particular to remember this movie except for its fast pace and good action scenes. I liked it some more due to Liev Schrieber, he is a good actor and I like his nice baritone voice.

A typical time-pass movie

3/5

P.S: "Unnatural Causes" starring some unknown stars but has an intesting storyline similar to lines of Wild Things.
Old 21st March 2011, 22:52   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You made my day, brilliant piece of dialogue considering the characters and situation of the movie. I remember "most" of above dialogue by heart too
The actual punch of these dialogues is felt not by reading them, but actually hearing them way Ford delivered them in that cockney accent.

Watched these two over the weekend.

1. Date Night. a so so one time watch, I must say Steve Carell has excelled a lot. Tina Fey is an outstanding performer. (Watch her do different accents during credits roll)

2. The Magnificent Seven. A classic western movie starring one of my favs who also happened to be one of the greatest petrol head of all time Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson. Its also a one time watch. I think this is the movie that so many Daku movies in India was inspired from

Steve McQeen only accepted the movie 'The Great Escape' if he was allowed to do that bike chase (minus fence jump) himself at the end.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:24   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
2. The Magnificent Seven. A classic western movie starring one of my favs who also happened to be one of the greatest petrol head of all time Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson. Its also a one time watch. I think this is the movie that so many Daku movies in India was inspired from
The Magnificent Seven itself is a remake of the Akira Kurasawa film "Seven Samurai". Bollywood owes a lot to these films. Even "Sholay", one of the greatest movies made in India, owes part of the story to this movie.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:26   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Even "Sholay", one of the greatest movies made in India, owes part of the story to this movie.
Somehow Sholay always reminded me more of Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, than Magnificent Seven.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks