Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 21:14   #3601
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

This Friday night I caught up 'Fast Five' in Imax.
This one in the series is bigger and better than the previous films, and Imax does help with that huge screen and 12000 watt speakers!
Did not expect anything except fast cars, crazy stunts and beautiful women, and wasn't disappointed.
4/5 from me.
Old 2nd May 2011, 03:56   #3602
Senior - BHPian

Fast Five

Awesome starcast, awesome cars (think ccxr, gtr, charger r/t, lfa and likes), awesome action, awesome story line.

a must watch for car fans. the best f n f movie ever.

5/5.

p.s: please wait till the end of the movie. its worth it.
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:15   #3603
BHPian

Watched Fair Game tonight. I liked the movie, it wasn't slow paced, though the actual story starts around 1 hour later. It's about a CIA undercover covert who's identity is exposed after her husband goes against the Bush administration.

Would give it a 3/5.

Watched Gran Torino too a few days back. It's about an old man who sets out to reform his neighbour who stole his life, a '72 Gran Torino. Nice storyline with a twist at the end. Would give it a 4/5.

Next in queue: Hachiko. Heard it's pretty emotional. Any reviews?

Last edited by prateekm : 2nd May 2011 at 06:39.
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:26   #3604
BHPian

Saw 'Thor' in theaters yesterday. Overall, a good effort and a good superhero summertime action film. Nothing too deep or depressing (like The Dark Knight), a movie more in the vein of the first Iron Man (an origin story), with cool effects, lots of action and great humour. Overall, very good time pass. (3.5/5)
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:37   #3605
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Watched Gran Torino too a few days back. It's about an old man who sets out to reform his neighbour who stole his life, a '72 Gran Torino. Nice storyline with a twist at the end. Would give it a 4/5.
That old man that you're talking about is the great Clint Eastwood. I also watched this movie a few days ago. That Ford Gran Torino is sweet. and i would also give the movie 4/5.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:07   #3606
Distinguished - BHPian

Movie : Source Code

Whew!!
in one word, thats it.
Brilliant idea, not as brilliant as inception, and neither as tight, but really really cool.
I put off watching "prince of persia" cos i didnt understand how jake gyllenhall of all people would justify such a character, but he was good.
He's much much better in source code.
Must watch, edge-of-seat for 3 quarters easily!

@prateekm: If "marley & me" hit you, then hachiko would cause a similar effect.Its good in that tear-jerker way....

Last edited by mayankk : 2nd May 2011 at 10:10.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:33   #3607
BHPian

Movie Name: No Strings Attached.

Review:

I would rate this movie 2/5. It is an average movie with nothing good about it. Story can be guessed by looking at its trailer. I have never liked Natalie Portman as an actor( I probably developed this bias after watching BLACK SWAN). Ashton Kutcher was his usual. I did not find any good comedy in this movie. The ending of the movie is also predictable. There are better movies to watch than this. So watch this only if you have nothing else to watch.
Old 6th May 2011, 01:12   #3608

FAST 5 (PAID PREVIEW)

Just saw Fast 5 AKA Fast & Furious 5. Simply loved it!
Fine, the movie has gaps; Fine, it's predictable; Fine, I couldn't place it between the first or the fourth movie of the series and couldn't even place it after the fourth.
But it was fun, exciting. It kept me on my tows and even after being awake for over 24 hours, I didn't feel sleepy while watching the movie. That's gotta mean something right.
It's a must must must must watch.

P.S: A smile doesn't suite Vin Diesel. He looks like a dufus when he smiles.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th May 2011 at 21:02. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read our rules carefully before proceeding, thanks
Mansha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 04:47   #3609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansha View Post
FAST 5 (PAID PREVIEW)

P.S: A smile doesn't suite Vin Diesel. He looks like a dufus when he smiles.
He has worked on his physic a lot. it shows when they took shoulder shots of him. i guess to take on 'the rock' he went better on his physic. looks real good compared to what he was in first and fourth part.

i would place the series as 1,2,4,5,3. that ways everything and everybody is covered.

did you by any chance stayed till the end of credit?
Old 6th May 2011, 07:29   #3610

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
He has worked on his physic a lot. it shows when they took shoulder shots of him. i guess to take on 'the rock' he went better on his physic. looks real good compared to what he was in first and fourth part.

i would place the series as 1,2,4,5,3. that ways everything and everybody is covered.

did you by any chance stayed till the end of credit?
Hey, it shows that he has worked on his physique else he would have looked so puny in front of Dwayne Johnson. Thanks for placing the movies in the correct sequence

Yes, we did see the scene post the initial credits It was interesting. I and my friends' thought that this was the last of the series. Now eagerly waiting for the next to come.
Old 6th May 2011, 08:53   #3611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Next in queue: Hachiko. Heard it's pretty emotional. Any reviews?
Hachiko will have you in tears.
Old 6th May 2011, 09:40   #3612
BHPian

Movie name: The Social Network

Review:
I have been waiting for this movie from the moment I saw its trailer on youtube. This movie is about how facebook was created and how Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, became the youngest billionaire although making some enemies in the process. I do not know whether everything they showed in the movie is true or not. But recently I read in the papers about the on going lawsuit so I guess the movie shows the truth. The movie is quite fast paced. Direction is brilliant. I was impressed by the college culture of the Ivy league colleges they showed in the movie. Acting was superb. You will be really surprised to know how facebook was started. Really liked the role of Eduardo. Justin Timberlake was also good. These days almost everyone uses facebook so please watch its history via this movie.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:26   #3613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Fast Five

Awesome starcast, awesome cars (think ccxr, gtr, charger r/t, lfa and likes), awesome action, awesome story line.

a must watch for car fans. the best f n f movie ever.

5/5.

p.s: please wait till the end of the movie. its worth it.
Perfectly summed up as well as the order you put the series in.
@Mansha, i went for the Paid Preview as well.

All in all, have to say, it was a thoroughly entertaining movie. To be very honest, it does have the usual BS kind of stunts which most people think is very viable & can actually happen
But this time around, the plot has been worked upon & given maximum importance which is really good. During the movie, it doesnt have that gap which the earlier ones had wherein the movie would heat up & slow down at different places. Here, it keeps on getting more & more intense.

Couple all that with an excellent cast, lots of humour & ofcourse, the usual mix of cars & driving...And weve got a winner
Old 6th May 2011, 14:27   #3614
BHPian

1. The Other Guys
Mark Wahlberg/Will Ferrell/Eva Mendes

Mark and Will are detectives who desperately want a big case to prove their worth and they get it. Mark Wahlberg is awesome as a angry detective while Will Ferrell for a change has a subdued role. His monologue on Lions and Fishes is awesome. Michael Wheaton is wasted in his role as their captain. A good watch. 4/5

2. Brooklyn's Finest.
Richard Gere/Don Cheadle/Ethan Hawke

All are on the police force with different aspirations and how it all turns out in the end. IMO, a compelling watch. 3.5/5

3. Daybreakers
Ethan Hawke/Sam Neill/Wilhelm Dafoe
It's the future and most humans have turned into vampires through some freak disease. Surviving humans are hunted for their blood which is in short supply. Ethan Hawke is a vampire but is involved in researching a substitute to end the hunt for humans. He gets involved with a splinter group of humans led by a former vampire, but now human convert, Wilhelm Dafoe. Good watch. 3/5
Old 7th May 2011, 09:00   #3615
Senior - BHPian

Hachiko will have any rock in tears so beware

Fast 5!

Well this movie has a great star cast and it has some of the best of all the 4 movies prior. Went with a lot of expectations and frankly expected more racing but it never happened. The only decent scene were the cars drifting and the first scene of the movie. I was disappointed a lot and can boldly say Rock was wasted in this.

There was nothing fast in this 5. Let the movie rest or come up with some nice scenes and not graphics.

PS: Loved the last scene where the chinese guy from tokyo drift is driving in the auto bahn with the gorgeous gal on his lap and he is in a LFA.

The comic timing of the movie is good though an worth a watch but dont go with expectations

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks