Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 10:37   #3751
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

This Friday I went on to see 'Super 8' - a train accident in a small town containing something much more sinister crosses path with a bunch of young kids making a film for a competition.

Coming of age is well depicted in this film - and I cannot remember the last time when I saw a good film on the same (Harry Potter is IMO a different genre)

With big names like JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg - I was expecting something more, and the film kind of fizzes out though it delivers in parts.

3.5/5 from me (and yes - do watch the credits)
Old 13th June 2011, 13:50   #3752
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a couple of movies over the weekend

"Last King of Scotland" starring Forest Whittaker

This academy winning movie was just about alright. I was expecting to see more of Adi Imin's atrocities towards the Ugandan people but, it was all happening in the background and story concentrated on his relationship with the scottish doctor which was also quite unique and heart rending to a large extent.

Good acting by FW and the scottish doctor but, i didnt think it deserved an award.

3.5/5

"Wrong turn at Tahoe" starring Cuba Gooding Jr, Miguel Ferrer and Harvey Kietel

Story of two ganglords fighting over their turf with Cuba supporting one of the ganglord ( Miguel Ferrer). Its almost like a revenge movie and lot of action scenes. However, not too impressive ones

Miguel Ferrer acted better than Cuba Gooding Jr. Harvey Kietel did a fine job as he always does.

It's an OK'sh action thriller with subtle hints of even B gradish movie

2.5/5

P.S: Next in line "Men of Honour" starring Robert De Niro and Cuba Gooding Jr. Reviews Please?
Old 13th June 2011, 14:55   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched a couple of movies over the weekend

P.S: Next in line "Men of Honour" starring Robert De Niro and Cuba Gooding Jr. Reviews Please?
Men of honor is a good movie. Good acting by Robert De Niro and Cuba Gooding Jr. De Niro has a negative shade in the movie. The movie deals with the racism in the U.S Navy. You can definitely watch it. Recommended.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:27   #3754
Senior - BHPian

X-Men-
It has got great reviews. Very good special effects. Still for me it was strictly ok one time watch. All the earlier parts were so much fun which sadly was missing in this one.
Somehow all the sequels or prequels are missing the X factor this year.
Lets see how transformers 3 pans out to be.
Watch this just for the superb effects.

Rating-3/5

Last edited by harry10 : 13th June 2011 at 15:28.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:45   #3755
BHPian

Invictus - Morgan Freeman as Mandela is class, Matt Damon does a good job too in this docu/drama. worth a watch. 3.5/5

The Ladykillers Tom Hanks in this comedy/heist movie by the Coen brothers which isn't that funny or dark either. Irma P Hall as the old black lady is pretty good. 2.5/5
Old 14th June 2011, 17:07   #3756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
The Ladykillers Tom Hanks in this comedy/heist movie by the Coen brothers which isn't that funny or dark either. Irma P Hall as the old black lady is pretty good. 2.5/5
Hmmm. Agree, Irma Hall is the heart and soul of this movie.

And, I really liked this movie ( own the original DVD) for its unique southern flavour,church music and interesting mix of characters. Particularly liked the character Goldthwait Higginson Dorr (PHD)...lol

I would give this a 3.5/5

Quote:
As crossroads said, it was a pretty good and inspirational movie ( Is it based on true story?). Loved the acting of both Robert De Niro and Cuba.

4/5

P.S: Next in Line " Intrepreter" starring Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. Reviews please?
Old 14th June 2011, 17:50   #3757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
Next in line - Letters from Iwo Jima.
Darjeeling Limited.
I am number Four
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If I may suggest - please watch 'Letters from Iwo Jima' after finishing 'Flags of our fathers'.
Agree. Not to set expectations, but IMO, that is the sequence of how good these pictures are. Clint Eastwood has made some memorable films and Letters from Iwo Jima is my favorite in them. It's interesting to see how the Japanese mind and culture worked during WWII. Ken Watanabe is amazing in his role and his recollections of time spent in US prior to WWII is depicted nicely. Couple of great dialogues there. Watch out for them!
Old 14th June 2011, 20:27   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Agree. Not to set expectations, but IMO, that is the sequence of how good these pictures are. Clint Eastwood has made some memorable films and Letters from Iwo Jima is my favorite in them. It's interesting to see how the Japanese mind and culture worked during WWII. Ken Watanabe is amazing in his role and his recollections of time spent in US prior to WWII is depicted nicely. Couple of great dialogues there. Watch out for them!
Saw it, Letters from Iwo Jima. Ken is as always, amazing. 4/5.

@blackasta, had seen Flag of our Fathers earlier, again Epic movies at their best.

Now for some Horror sessions. The Crow, in next. Although, have seen it a long time back.

By the way guys, hows 'I am Number Four' ?
Old 14th June 2011, 22:48   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
I found it pretty average. Can be skipped.
I would rate it 2/5.
Old 14th June 2011, 23:52   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

watch it if you have nothing else to do. There are better movies available. Its more of a teen flick than an alien-human flick.
Old 15th June 2011, 10:22   #3761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saw it, Letters from Iwo Jima. Ken is as always, amazing. 4/5.

@blackasta, had seen Flag of our Fathers earlier, again Epic movies at their best.

Now for some Horror sessions. The Crow, in next. Although, have seen it a long time back.
The crow, it is awesomeness defined.
Lee in that movie is completely comparable to heath ledger in the dark knight, and thats not just cos of the facepaint!
You see lee in this movie, and you cant inagine that its him in that "showdown in -something-" movie!

you could also try the other crow(dont know if its a prt 2 or something), which had edward furlong, that role fit him to a T.

While youre at it, try and get the OST for the original, too good!
Old 15th June 2011, 12:21   #3762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
I found it pretty average. Can be skipped.
I would rate it 2/5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
watch it if you have nothing else to do. There are better movies available. Its more of a teen flick than an alien-human flick.
Guys, thanks for not letting me waste my time on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
The crow, it is awesomeness defined.
Lee in that movie is completely comparable to heath ledger in the dark knight, and thats not just cos of the facepaint!
You see lee in this movie, and you cant inagine that its him in that "showdown in -something-" movie!

you could also try the other crow(dont know if its a prt 2 or something), which had edward furlong, that role fit him to a T.

While youre at it, try and get the OST for the original, too good!
I have heard the OST, soothing actually.
The Crow, as before 4/5. Brandon Lee kills it totally.
Recommend watch.

Next in line, Amores Perros. Heard its a masterpiece.
Old 15th June 2011, 21:57   #3763
Distinguished - BHPian

Schindler's List - One of the best films ever made, IMO. And you won't find a more hardcore villain than Amon Goeth - absolutely despicable.

Drive Angry - If only Nicholas Cage could shake off his Ghost Rider image, it would have been a fun watch. Pretty average after a reasonably good start. Amber Heard is quite nice eye-candy.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:57   #3764
BHPian

Quote:

P.S: Next in Line " Intrepreter" starring Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn. Reviews please?
Interpreter is a fast paced action movie. Nicole Kidman works as an interpreter in the UN and overhears a plot to kill a delegate attending the UN session, from an African country. Sean Penn works as a secret service agent. You can definitely watch it once.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:05   #3765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
Interpreter is a fast paced action movie. Nicole Kidman works as an interpreter in the UN and overhears a plot to kill a delegate attending the UN session, from an African country. Sean Penn works as a secret service agent. You can definitely watch it once.
Thanks. My review is exactly like yours. It was a fast paced action movie but, with lot of dialogues and plot was slightly confusing in the begining but, picked up pace later on. Nicole and Sean were good.

A nice international espionage thriller. And, would be good one time watch

3/5
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks