Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 13:17   #3646
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

"Fast and Furious-5" starring the usual starcast

Last evening around 15 team-bhpian's saw this movie in IMAX format. Firstly, IMAX experience was quite nice as everything seemed bigger than normal and close-up shots were amazing and in some shots even skin pores of the starcast were visible. Rio was shot spectacularly. Full marks to the cinematographer

Let me warn you, this is not like your usual FF movie as there's so little of cars that i was quite disappointed. Instead of cars, lot of gun shooting, foot chases took its place. Koenigg and GTR were saved only for end titles. What a shame !!

As many said, the script is full of holes. Come to think of it, actually there is no script. It's 2 hours of adrelinan pumping movie which grabs your eyeballs from the moment go and never lets go of it till the end.

Acting was rather unremarkable and cliche with VD and DJ slyly smiling and letting out one-liners. How bollywoodish that can be

VD was good as usual

Paul Walker's speaks so fast and his voice hasnt got any clarity. He was just ok. Looked like he wore the same jean and tee from the first installment...lol

Dwayne's got a terrific screen presence and towers over and above everyone. I love his voice and dialogue delivery style. However, what I didnt like was he being reduced to a side actor and they got to be kidding me showing VD overpowering the mighty ROCK...I am a big fan of DJ and cannot digest such idiotic scenes. And, yes that stupid overgrown frenchie didnt work for him as well.

Jordana Brewster looked thin and skeletal, it was nauseating to watch her.

Elsa Patayak the brazilian female police officer is smouldering to say the least. I am seeing such a lovely face after a long time. For me, she was the highlight of the movie

There was a lot of camaderie and jokes between Ludacris ( yeah, the rap star) and other team members bringing some light moments to the movie.

The amount of damage caused to Rio for that Dodge Charger chase scene is phenomenal. It has to be computer graphics. But, heck it was so unconvincing pulling a huge locker behind 2 chargers.

There is a lot of holes in everything be it direction, acting, script et. But, did i like the movie. Oh yeah, I liked the movie purely for the adrelalin filled action, amazing locations, high production values and some beautiful people in it ( Isnt what FF fraternity is all about? Cars, Beautiful People and Good locales)

Overall, it's a good "time-pass" 2 hours and watching with fellow car lovers just added that extra fun to the entire experience.

3/5

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th May 2011 at 13:23.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:26   #3647
Senior - BHPian

The Rite starring Anthony Hopkins. Its about exorcism and stuff.

Good for a one time watch.

As usual, excellent performance from Mr. Hopkins.

3/5.

Also managed to watch Sniper:Reloaded.

Dont bother to watch. Waste of time. No major sniping action in the movie. I'd pick Enemy at the Gates instead for this theme. No concrete story line either.

1/5.

Just watched an hour's length of Little Fokkers and it was hilarious. Looks like a fun movie to watch on a boring day.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:31   #3648
Distinguished - BHPian

Annihilation earth:

Good actors,unknown actros, good doomsday story.
No special effects so to speak.
If you like doomsday books and flicks, can be watched when you have nothing else to do.
dont make time for this.

They've inserted animations(very good, btw) to depict the disasters.

you wont see any earthquakes with actors falling into crevasses.
They'll both be in different scenes.

but well executed, bolein to, it connects to the story well.

Good 2 hours TP.

3.92/5
Old 13th May 2011, 13:39   #3649
BHPian

Movie name : Devils Advocate.

Review:
This movie was suggested to me by a friend. I went through its IMDB page and when I saw it had Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves, I decided to watch it. I will be frank here - I did not understand the movie. It is a long movie and when I saw the ending it was an anti-climax. I found Al Pacino's acting very weird. Keanu reeves was also average. I tried to do some reading on this film but I have still not understood the plot.
Old 13th May 2011, 23:06   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

Review:
This movie was suggested to me by a friend. I went through its IMDB page and when I saw it had Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves, I decided to watch it. I will be frank here - I did not understand the movie. It is a long movie and when I saw the ending it was an anti-climax. I found Al Pacino's acting very weird. Keanu reeves was also average. I tried to do some reading on this film but I have still not understood the plot.
That is one of my all time favorite movie.
I will admit that I did not get the plot when I watched it first, but did get it on the subsequent watching.
I would not post the plot here and spoil the fun.
Watch it again and you will appreciate the movie and Al Pacino.

Al Pacino is excellent in the movie.
Old 13th May 2011, 23:19   #3651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

Review:
I don't blame you. It is more like Inception which many people didnt get in the first watch. Watch it again without interuption and you will know how nicely it has been made. And imho Al Pacino was excellent in the movie!
Old 13th May 2011, 23:37   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
That is one of my all time favorite movie.
I will admit that I did not get the plot when I watched it first, but did get it on the subsequent watching.
I would not post the plot here and spoil the fun.
Watch it again and you will appreciate the movie and Al Pacino.

Al Pacino is excellent in the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I don't blame you. It is more like Inception which many people didnt get in the first watch. Watch it again without interuption and you will know how nicely it has been made. And imho Al Pacino was excellent in the movie!
Well I dont want to spend another 2 hours trying to understand the movie. I know inception was also a little difficult to understand but atleast one had an idea what was happening. Devils advocate was a complete bouncer for me. Probably you guys can explain me the plot better
Old 14th May 2011, 02:57   #3653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
"Fast and Furious-5" starring the usual starcast
No comments on Gal Gadot?

Did you guys notice that the beach at the end was goa?

I caught the last show of this film at 10.30 pm on the first day, and it was a sold out crowd (never experienced it in US). There were huge cheers from the crowd on the bolly style one liners and over the top action scenes.
Old 14th May 2011, 03:02   #3654
BHPian

Watched the movie Exam (2009). It is about a group of people who have been selected for a job, they have been called for the final step before getting selected, an exam. The 8 candidates are locked in a room with a paper and they have just 80 minutes to answer the question. But nobody knows where the question is. It started out well in the beginning, fizzled out in the mid but then delivered a decent climax. A one-time watch for sure.

Will give it a 3.5/5
Old 14th May 2011, 09:18   #3655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
No comments on Gal Gadot?
I found her hotter than Pataki.
Quote:
Did you guys notice that the beach at the end was goa?
I think you mentioned it because you say that GA51 in the numberplate in the last scene. But its not.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:26   #3656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No comments on Gal Gadot?Did you guys notice that the beach at the end was goa?
Hmm, she was good. But, I still vote for Elsa

Yes, the last scene was shot in Goa and even the GTR sported GA plates
Old 17th May 2011, 01:38   #3657
BHPian

Movie: Fast & Furious 5

Review:
The fast and five furious series has a great legacy. I have seen all the 4 parts and for me the 1st and 3rd ones were the best. I had high hopes with the 5th installment and had heard mixed reviews. I was disappointed with this one. Really poor script and dialogues. Vin diesel does not know how to act - I know he is supposed to act like a macho but still he acting was irritating. The ending sequence was a disaster. The onlt part of the movie I liked was the train scene at the beginning. The ROCK was average too.
Old 17th May 2011, 01:52   #3658
Senior - BHPian

Saw THOR over the weekend

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-thor_poster.jpg

The movie starts with the landing of THOR on Earth & then goes back to a narration which gives a background on THOR as in his world & enemies, his father and the reason why he is sent to Earth. This is good for people like me who had no clue about this superhero.

The acting is good by all the, Chris Hemsworth looks great both as an arrogant God & then as a humbled superhero. Natalie Portman somehow lacks her usual charm.

Good special effects, nice storyline (even those who dont know the background) The end could have done with some more fight though

3.5/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th May 2011 at 01:53.
Old 17th May 2011, 08:28   #3659
Senior - BHPian

I liked the way Thor presented itself. They explained the story for people who didnt know it. Was an ok ok sorta movie and nothing spectacular as Batman or spiderman series.

1 time watch 2.5/5
Old 17th May 2011, 15:24   #3660
BHPian

Penélope Cruz in Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides opening this weekend. This is so exciting!! However, I am going to miss Keira Knightley - I love her accent. I only hope this sequel/prequel thing is not spoiling the series like so many other series.

Any other PoTC fans here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks