Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 10:34   #6451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
And don't even get me started on what goes on in the cockpit.
Wonder what you mean by that - care to expand? Or give any anecdotes?
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:26   #6452
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Flight: While it is a good example of how drugs and alcohol can ruin your life once and for all, it is VERY inaccurate in terms of technicalities.
Wow, you really seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel as many of these movies are several years old.

From what little I can remember, "Flight" deals primarily with substance abuse with Denzel Washington on an irredeemable death spiral in which he finally does a few things right. Also IIRC the last decade has seen Denzel on a number of disaster films such as "Unstoppable" and some runaway train movie whose name I can't remember.

If it is any consolation, Robert Zemeckis, the director of "Flight" is a pilot himself.
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:29   #6453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Wow, you really seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel as many of these movies are several years old.

From what little I can remember, "Flight" deals primarily with substance abuse with Denzel Washington on an irredeemable death spiral in which he finally does a few things right. Also IIRC the last decade has seen Denzel on a number of disaster films such as "Unstoppable" and some runaway train movie whose name I can't remember.

If it is any consolation, Robert Zemeckis, the director of "Flight" is a pilot himself.
That IS Unstoppable.

And yeah, actually, in Flight, I remember more of his struggle with substances, rather than his tech prowess as a pilot.
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:38   #6454
BHPian

Captain America: Civil War 4.5/5
This is definitely one of the better movies in the Captain America/Avenger series. A must watch.

X-Men: Apocalypse 2/5
It is a massive disappointment even for the X-Men fans. X-Men: First Class was a treat to watch. After that, it has been a downhill journey for the X-Men series.
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:06   #6455
Senior - BHPian

Saw Civil War on Thursday and X-Men on Sunday. Felt that as a movie, X-Men seemed more strong than Civil War. After having read the civil war comic years ago, the movie was always going to fail in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing movie but compared to the comic, it was meh. after the movie, went back home and read the comic again :P

I'm not a great fan of the X-Men comics so the movie was better since i don't have high expectations of it being true to source material.

All in all, good times for comic book fans as superhero movies rule the entertainment world
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:44   #6456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
That IS Unstoppable.
You're right. Somehow I confused "Unstoppable" with "Deja vu" where IIRC a ferry gets blown up numerous times.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:08   #6457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You're right. Somehow I confused "Unstoppable" with "Deja vu" where IIRC a ferry gets blown up numerous times.
Ha ha!!
Nope, not even once, actually.
I love that flick. Most movies with Denzel washington are extremely watch worthy. Top of the class has to be Fallen. Hair raising, it is.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:16   #6458
Senior - BHPian

I can watch almost every movie which has the following 3 actors in it:

1) Denzel Washington
2) Morgon Freeman
3) Samuel L Jackson

Even though these guys don't play the pivotal role in some movies, I always feel that the movie revolves around these great actors, due to some invisible magnetic field around them.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:20   #6459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And yeah, actually, in Flight, I remember more of his struggle with substances, rather than his tech prowess as a pilot.
Quote:
Wow, you really seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel as many of these movies are several years old. If it is any consolation, Robert Zemeckis, the director of "Flight" is a pilot himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Wonder what you mean by that - care to expand? Or give any anecdotes?
This post might be OT, but here we go. For the sake of continuity, I will be going chronologically.
  1. First off, when the aircraft takes off, Washington is shown to increase his airspeed to escape the turbulent weather. In real life, we are restricted to 270 knots in extremely turbulent weather. If you go faster than this, you lose your safety margin in case of very strong gusts.

2. The movie shows that the aircraft's elevators were stuck in the down position, which caused the aircraft to pitch down. And hence Washington has to invert the aircraft to arrest the dive. So far, so good. But when he rolls the aircraft back to normal, the elevator seems to have regained it's ability. Wouldn’t that elevator drop the nose again and end the flight right then and there?

3. The movie shows the first officer having a nervous breakdown. But that is not how a professional airline pilot reacts. If you got a chance to see us, you would freak out seeing how calm pilots are even in a life threatening emergency.

4. Washington begins the roll back to normal at 800 ft MSL, visible in the PFD. Atlanta and all it's neighbouring areas are at 780(+-100) feet MSL. The radio altimeter also shows a height of 90 feet. So there was no altitude left for the aircraft to complete it's barrell roll and glide to a semi successful crash landing. There is no way you can invert an aircraft within that altitude.

Now I understand that the movie was more about his substance abuse issues than his prowess as a pilot. And I also understand that Hollywood can do whatever it wants. But if you base a movie on a series of false premises, while suggesting that you portray real life, you deceive your audience, a part of which already harbors misgivings about flight safety. The movie makes a mockery of commercial aviation. And the same thing goes for Hurt Locker as well.

Last edited by searchingheaven : 23rd May 2016 at 15:26.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:31   #6460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The movie shows the first officer having a nervous breakdown. But that is not how a professional airline pilot reacts. If you got a chance to see us, you would freak out seeing how calm pilots are even in a life threatening emergency.
OT continues, but just for one last time.

Great info there bro.

I am sure you would have seen this message on every Indigo plane's cockpit door.
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-indigo.jpg
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:43   #6461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now I understand that the movie was more about his substance abuse issues than his prowess as a pilot. And I also understand that Hollywood can do whatever it wants. But if you base a movie on a series of false premises, while suggesting that you portray real life, you deceive your audience, a part of which already harbors misgivings about flight safety. The movie makes a mockery of commercial aviation. And the same thing goes for Hurt Locker as well.
You're in Aviation, so I do not doubt your critical views. But then, Lawyers(Liar Liar), Cops(Most movies ever), Armed forces(Sgt Bilko), have been slighted forever, and noone believes the movie version to be what they would run into in real life(except occasionally, agreed).
They never suggested it was based on real life.
God, I wish nothing is ever based on real life. We have enough of it going around as it is, without being made to pay 2K more to watch some more of it!
Old 28th May 2016, 19:11   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Angry Birds Movie

Rating - 3.5 / 5

One of the most popular games ever made becomes a motion picture and how. The movie is little slow with intermittent funny scenes in first half and picks up superb pace in 2nd half. All characters are well defined and animation is top class. Kids have a ball of a time throughout the movie.

You get to see all the characters from the game with all the powers they are known for and plus a few new interesting characters. A rare animated movie without a song.

Overall a nice watch and especially recommend it to people having kids as a MUST watch.
Old 28th May 2016, 20:02   #6463
BHPian

Hey guys!
How is the new X-men movie ?
Old 29th May 2016, 10:23   #6464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey guys!
How is the new X-men movie ?
Strictly a by-the-numbers action movie. The action set pieces are very well done, but it suffers from too many characters. The villain is also one-dimensional and not fleshed out. In many ways, it reminds me of Age of Ultron. It's not bad as such, just mediocre. Of course, the Quicksilver scene steals the show (just like in Days of Future Past).

Overall, if X-Men First Class is an A, X-Men Days of Future Past a B+, then X-Men Apocalypse is a C+.
Old 31st May 2016, 14:34   #6465
BHPian

Watched Me and Earl and the Dying Girl(2015) over the weekend. A different take on the coming of age genre centred around death, it's quite humorous and the lead actors have done a wonderful job. With a theme easily prone to base sentimentality, the director avoids this but briefly. Overall a good family watch (few profanities and swear words), would rate this a 4/5 for the fresh treatment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks