Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2024, 14:14   #9451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Don't look anywhere- Just get yourself the full SONOS system.

Quote:

Absolutely. Every OTT platform video and audio quality is distinct as is their UI features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
Its good to check it out in person and make a decision. The preferences could vary from person to person. When I was replacing my sound bar, I checked out the Bose Ultra and Sonos Arc, and picked up the former. Sonos was great but I felt the clarity of delivery with the Bose was on a different level, and picked up that.
Quote:

I used to feel the difference when streaming via my phone or the native smart TV apps, but now using with the Apple TV 4K box, don’t see any difference between say Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Apple Tv+. In fact was recently watching Grand Turismo on Netflix, and the quality was just awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I checked out all three last weekend at croma. Sony was bass heavy and clarity was not as good as Bose and Sonos.

Bose and sonos both are excellent, Bose has that advantage of omnidirectional bass module. Bose's clarity was also better compared to sonos.
Bose soundbar along with bass module 700 and rear speakers would be my top pick.
Great inputs. very impressive assessment. Thank you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Some of my favourites:

2. DUEL. Very old movie. The stars in the movie are a truck and a car. Again, edge of the seat excitement.
This is the G.O.A.T. Simple plot but exhilarating screenplay magic. Astounding work for a 1st movie.

Ferrari.

Saw this movie on Prime. It's a movie about the Man - Enzo Ferrari. A snippet of his life and not a cradle to Grave documentary.
I liked it. Focuses on the individual, his personal life, challenges in running the company, his shrewd mind, laser sharp focus on racing, attitude towards drivers, etc.

It being about Ferrari, there had to be a race and it was the last Mille Miglia Ferrari participated in. The 1957.

Good watch.

Piero Ferrari, Enzos son, acknowledges the accuracy of the depiction of Enzo.
14000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 17:10   #9452
BHPian

Dune 2
Rating: 9/10

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-dune_part_two_ver21_xlg.jpg

For a long time, the Dune series of books by Frank Herbert was considered impossible to bring to the big screen. It is considered a seminal piece of science fiction, clearly showcasing “The Chosen One” series of storytelling that we have seen in innumerable hit movies (like Star Wars). Frank wrapped the prophecy of a savior in a hostile environment with it’s unique culture and customs. Power-hungry politics, mind-controlling witches, Sand Worms – everything is here in a cauldron that constantly churns these main characters into conflict.

When I first read the novel a decade back, I was awed by the world that he had built. I saw only the trailer of the 1984 movie which was horribly bad. It seemed that, yes, this novel is perhaps not filmable at all.

I soon noticed that a new director was bringing in truly spectacular content. Denis Villeneuve’s Sicario was a terrifying and spellbinding movie that seemed to bring in some of the old-school film magic (I am not a fan of Disney’s ultra-commercial superhero franchise). He soon followed that up with Arrival, a poignant and well-presnted movie not just about alien contact, but also parental loss. I did read the original essay by Ted Chiang, but felt that somehow the movie had surpassed the book in it’s presentation. What I loved was that there was again an authentic touch without making this look cartoonish. Finally, Blade Runner 2049 was the most beautiful sequel to the 1982 version.

Therefore it was with considerable thrill that I anticipated Dune (2021) and in my mind, it did not disappoint. Most of the movie was an extended introduction, so it was very clear that the real action would be in the sequel.

What I love about Dune 2 is that it retains the signature magic of Denis’ previous hits. The way Chani (Zendaya) disbelieves Paul (Chamalet) when he claims there are oceans of water where you can dive, instead of sand, is instantly relatable to a person who has seen only sand dunes her entire life. The Fremen culture is completely obsessed over conserving water at any cost, thus their spit to make coffee (or to make peace) is a sacrifice. The sandworms are deadly, but the Fremen have harnessed them to travel vast distances of Arrakis and fight against their marauders.

The casting was superb. Timothee and Zendaya are well complimented by Stellan, Josh Brolin, Rebecca Ferguson & Javier Bardiem. Rebecca, in particular, shone throughout as the manipulative mother and mind warrior. Javier’s constant reminding everyone that Paul was the Messiah was a sort of caricature to those who believe blindly in omens and prophecies, and it provided unintentional comedic relief. Heck, it even became an internet meme!

However, I did feel that some characters were not so good. The veteran Christopher Walken did not really have much of an impact as the Padishah Emperor, which was strange considering how fearful his retinue of Sardaukars were. I was sorely disappointed by how Dave Bautista became just a raging goon shouting all the time. This was especially painful given how Denis extracted such a memorable performance from him in Blade Runner 2049. And Austin Butler put in an earnest attempt, but the movie attempted to wrap up his character quickly, and he became just another typical villain (though the gladiatorial scene in glorious monochrome was a treat to watch on the big screen).

In terms of costumes, it was again excellent. Fremen wear their stillsuits close to their body, while the Bene Gesserit witches prefer loose, sometimes colorful, robes and gowns. Paul riding his first Worm in the desert was filmed with palpable tension and complimented brilliantly by Hans Zimmer’s score.

What we have here is an auteur showcasing one of his best ever craft. I absolutely loved the movie, and am waiting with bated breath for Dune Messiah.
SithDefender is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 18:00   #9453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
Another noteworthy director is Quentin Tarantino. Besides his commercially popular films like Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, etc. I would like to recommend Death Proof and Grindhouse. In my personal opinion, probably the best B grade movies in human history. Not to be watched with the family and to be watched with a open mind!
Try watching SISU. A lot like Tarantino movies. It is not directed by Tarantino, but someone else did a very good job of being Tarantino.
Old 12th March 2024, 22:04   #9454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I used to feel the difference when streaming via my phone or the native smart TV apps, but now using with the Apple TV 4K box, don’t see any difference between say Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Apple Tv+. In fact was recently watching Grand Turismo on Netflix, and the quality was just awesome.
Sorry, I forgot to mention. There is no way that OTT content should be seen directly. Then it would be totally useless experience.

For several years, I have been streaming through Apple TV+ (Used to have Gen-1 and Now use Gen-2).

I see a difference in OTT platforms for refresh rate, audio quality (this is like chalk and cheese) and overall smooth experience of the visuals.

Apple TV+ content is right up on top of the stack for audio and video experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Great inputs. very impressive assessment. Thank you guys.
Well, I think the other folks gave a feedback only for Soundbar. '

My feedback is for the whole hog- The full system. I have personally experienced the Bose 700 vs. Sonos Arc (Full system) in a projector mode in a friend's home and difference is clear. Btw, sound bar is just 20% of the entire experience.

Besides, you check feedback on any forum/article/YT reviews for full system, 8/10 folks will pick a Sonos over Bose.

Cheers and Goodluck for the new HT system.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 22:32   #9455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Some of my favourites:

2. DUEL. Very old movie. The stars in the movie are a truck and a car. Again, edge of the seat excitement.
Remember watching it in my childhood, took some time to find the name first. Now can't find it on any major OTT platform. Where can I watch it?
Old 12th March 2024, 23:21   #9456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apple TV+ content is right up on top of the stack for audio and video experience.
Totally. Just watch the opening credits of any episode of Season 1 of the series See. A brilliant series by the way, at least till the penultimate season.

On movie note, saw Kung Fu Panda 4 over the weekend. I took a power nap in the first 15 - 20 minutes of the movie but after that I was all in Blame it not on the movie but on the 36 mile bicycle ride earlier in the day followed by a hearty meal of home cooked rajma chawal.

I like the progression of Po from the Dragon Warrior to the Spiritual Leader. Any software developer looking to move from the role of an individual contributor to a team lead will be able to totally relate to that

Jack Black is of course awesome and the storyline does not feel too repetitive of the previous movies. Yes, there is a villain that needs to be defeated. And yes, Po seems to be out of his league against the enemy. But somehow the storyline still brings some freshness to the movie.

If you've liked the previous editions of Kung Fu Panda, then you wont be disappointed with this one either.

Last edited by amitoj : 12th March 2024 at 23:22.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 23:33   #9457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Remember watching it in my childhood, took some time to find the name first. Now can't find it on any major OTT platform. Where can I watch it?
You may check this link:

Best,
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 00:45   #9458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Totally. Just watch the opening credits of any episode of Season 1 of the series See. A brilliant series by the way, at least till the penultimate season.

On movie note, saw Kung Fu Panda 4 over the weekend. I took a power nap in the first 15 - 20 minutes of the movie but after that I was all in Blame it not on the movie but on the 36 mile bicycle ride earlier in the day followed by a hearty meal of home cooked rajma chawal.
See? What is it about? Will check it out. I can’t blame you for nodding off as I would too if I had gorged myself on home-made Rajma Chawal. Lol!

Kung Fu Panda is most likable movie from the animation category (I love Ratarouille as well) and it’s always fun to see PO’s escapades.

PO and Jack Black is a win-win combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Jack Black is of course awesome and the storyline does not feel too repetitive of the previous movies. Yes, there is a villain that needs to be defeated. And yes, Po seems to be out of his league against the enemy. But somehow the storyline still brings some freshness to the movie.
On that note- Did you see Jack Black’s “ School Of Rock” ? This is an iconic movie of Jack Black and he was a dynamite. If you love rock music, this is a mandatory movie and haven’t seen a more funny set-up with music as a background.

The finale song is part of my playlist and I listen to it often. Check it out!

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th March 2024 at 01:08.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 00:52   #9459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See? What is it about? Will check it out.
A dystopian world where a virus has left the entire human race blind. Those who have the gift of sight are considered mutants. Jason Mamoa's acting chops are at full display in the series and I was left amazed at his range.

Quote:
On that note- Did you see Jack Black’s “ School Of Rock” ?
I have, but my kids have not. So it is at the top of the list of movies to watch now.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:16   #9460
Senior - BHPian

Ricky Stanicky - 4/5

Ricky Stanicky, from start to finish, it keeps you chuckling and engaged. Yes it was stupid here and there but it had me laughing a good bit. It's dumb funny.

Gave this a shot because one of the Farrelly brothers (Me Myself and Irene, Kingpin, There's Something About Mary, Dumb and Dumber) was involved

RM Motorsports is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:38   #9461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Ricky Stanicky - 4/5

Ricky Stanicky, from start to finish, it keeps you chuckling and engaged. Yes it was stupid here and there but it had me laughing a good bit. It's dumb funny.

Gave this a shot because one of the Farrelly brothers (Me Myself and Irene, Kingpin, There's Something About Mary, Dumb and Dumber) was involved

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=WXpBN_31-Cw
Its an absolutely ridiculous movie, and just what the doctor recommends to unwind!
John Cena is absolutely mad in this, his comedic timing is spot on. It made for a really good watch.
Absolutely recommended.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 11:19   #9462
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally saw the much-anticipated movie "Ferrari".

Will give it a 3.75 out of 5 star rating as a car enthusiast. Extra points for the mindblowing exhaust sounds & cars in the movie. But as a drama, it can become a drag and is too slow / boring at many points.

There is some great history in the movie, especially scenes where his CFO tells him "you are spending more money than you make. You are bankrupt. I can run Portugal on your racing budget . You need a partner to build 400 cars a year instead of 98." (I am paraphrasing).

The best part of the movie = cars, engine sounds. Revv-matching too. The personal parts of his life are boringly portrayed, especially the scenes with his wife, mother & mistress.

Car guys will watch it once; non car people will get bored. This is a movie I'd watch at home on streaming instead of the theatre. That's why its box office collections were above average at best, and it hasn't come to India yet.

My suggestion = watch it once for Enzo Ferrari's story. It's not everyday that car movies are released anyway. Then, for real entertainment, watch Drive to Survive on Netflix, or movies like Rush / Ford Vs Ferrari / Senna / Gone in 60 seconds etc.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2024 at 11:21.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:42   #9463
Distinguished - BHPian

Alone
OTT : Netflix
3/5

This is a remake of the movie Gone(Swedish-2011)

This is a slow but, exciting thriller with some glimpses of "Duel" in the beginning. I liked it primarily because of the PNW wilderness that was shown in this movie (Entire movie is based in Oregon). The wilderness really gets to you and is pretty scary when you are hiking in those woods.

Excitement kicks in later in the movie and it become more engaging. Some scenes are unbelievable like the stalker finds the lady even in such a large forest.

It's a short movie of 1:30 hours and is decent if not really great. A decent watch for thriller lovers.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 22:41   #9464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Its an absolutely ridiculous movie, and just what the doctor recommends to unwind!
Thanks to both of you for recommending an absolute riot with a too good to be true ending. John Cena has probably got the role of a lifetime in this, nailed it completely. Hoot of a movie, and the best were the songs, the ones lip synced by John Cena. The version of Oh Baby I love your way was hilarious
Old 18th March 2024, 06:26   #9465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
Dune 2
Rating: 9/10

What we have here is an auteur showcasing one of his best ever craft. I absolutely loved the movie, and am waiting with bated breath for Dune Messiah.
10/10 from me. This is a masterpiece. Unless some miracle happens later this is my movie of the year 2024.
Its very rare I come out so impressed from the movie hall. A total banger of a movie.

My only gripe? I am bored of Zendaya looking angry. She has the frown 95% of her on screen time.

Regardless, an epic movie through and through.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks