Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2021, 12:07   #7216
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
@Rehaan
I have a suggestion, don't know whether it would be practical or whether it would become a burden to the servers. My suggestion is that we could have a guest membership for our site and provide certain features like
  1. subscribing or saving a thread, post etc.
  2. option to use different background. I use BHP black (it can be considered as a dark theme).
These guests may not be allowed to write a post, but other than that they could be given some features like the ones I mentioned and some more which won't finally affect the quality of our forum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
It is true that it won't add any value to the forum but it would be a big plus to our constant guests.
One more point to add - I feel this guest membership feature could be beneficial to TeamBHP too. TeamBHP could get data about user interests from the threads and posts user subscribes to. TeamBHP has more 10 Lakh regular visitors and when they become guest members we would get to know the general market likings, interests and hype of lakhs of people on various cars and brands. Many car brands approach TeamBHP for their opinion about their cars and from our members they could get much more vast data about the market interests.

People say that data is the next big thing. I don't mean that TeamBHP should spy on its users but instead use these data to get to know the general market interests etc. without affecting privacy of its users.

I also think that by providing guest membership we could get our visitors more hooked into our forum. With option to subscribe threads, they would be regularly updated about that thread.

Last edited by RR96 : 8th September 2021 at 12:36.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 08:10   #7217
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to introduce an option to turn off the 'infinite scroll'? (Unless there is one that I don't know about yet) I often remember posts by their page number and at times I miss the page navigator and end up skipping to a few pages later than I intended. Thanks.
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 15:51   #7218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
... at times I miss the page navigator
Just press <Home>. There is always a page number selector at the top of the page.

Some of us complained strongly about the infinite scroll when it was introduced. In the answers, there there was no mention of turning it off, so I think the answer must be no.

(I think many of us have come to like it now, although, somehow, going backwards is not as easy as it was.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:40   #7219
Senior - BHPian

I have a question. What is the quickest way to get into contact with any Team-BHP staff (preferably mods), except PMs?

Asking because I need some help from y'all.
Old 13th September 2021, 14:11   #7220
BHPian

Infinite scrolling feature does not provide a good user experience.

Though at the end of each individual page, there is a division which contains pagination links & buttons [Go to top, Bottom]. This will help user to know the end/start of page. [See below picture for elements highlighted in red]
But it can easily be overlooked by the user. Here, user fails to keep track of the page number he/she is on currently.

IMO, the old design is better in terms of user experience. Only contents related to current page link is displayed. User can keep track of page number & navigate to next/previous page according to their needs.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp.png
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 20:58   #7221
anb
BHPian

Now different memberships levels like newbie, bhpian and senior bhpian are based on no of posts. I think it will be better if the memberships levels are based on no of thanks, like 50 likes to become a bhpian from newbie and 5000 likes to become a senior-bhpian from bhpian.
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:15   #7222
BHPian

I am trying to forum search ZS EV and the search tool says minimum word length criteria are not met.

I try to do the same under thread search within Astor thread, same issue.

How to overcome this limitation? Any hack?
Old 29th September 2021, 17:37   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am trying to forum search ZS EV and

How to overcome this limitation? Any hack?
I put quotes around the "phrase"
Try:

"ZS EV"
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:58   #7224
Senior - BHPian

Two things that come to my mind : Search functionality needs a revamp. I never find stuff in here. I just Google my phrase followed by "team-bhp" and I find it.

Second is infinite scroll. May be I am old school but I am unable to see benefit of that considering it halts at the page break anyway and then loads the next page. Also it only works one-way. If I am on 55th page on a 70 page thread I can reach last page thanks to endless scroll but I cannot go from 55th to 1st page if I scroll backwards.
Certainly I am not the only one reading threads backwards?
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 20:31   #7225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Second is infinite scroll. ... ... ... 55th page on a 70 page thread I can reach last page thanks to endless scroll but I cannot go from 55th to 1st page if I scroll backwards.
I was very much against this feature: now I am beginning to like it, but also one of those who wish it worked backwards.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:11   #7226
BHPian

@Rehaan
Can we have a gallery link in the user profile i.e. a link in the public profile to all the photos posted by a user in various threads.

Last edited by RR96 : 14th October 2021 at 15:12.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 20:21   #7227
BHPian

Just a thought that was lingering in my mind.

Can there be a way implemented in future where members can save/bookmark a post that they find it useful. The bookmarked/saved posts will be saved in a separate database repository available in member's profile through an element named 'Bookmarks' just like what you find in Twitter.

Currently, whenever we interact in any thread, we automatically get subscribed to it & also receive emails if there's any latest postings on that thread.

This is for saving/bookmarking individual posts that one may find it quite useful for future references.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 20:40   #7228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
Can there be a way implemented in future where members can save/bookmark a post that they find it useful. ... This is for saving/bookmarking individual posts that one may find it quite useful for future references.
This is a regular question re threads or posts. Your browser has that ability already, and there is no need to add it to the forum software. I have a bookmark folder of TBHP threads/posts. This could be very powerful: you could make a tree of subfolders, organised to suit your own requirements. No need to reinvent the chicken

You can also subscribe to a thread without posting to it, if you just want to read along, or do not have anything to add immediately. See "Thread Tools" at the top of the page.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 15th October 2021 at 20:42.
Old 15th October 2021, 21:05   #7229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have a bookmark folder of TBHP threads/posts. This could be very powerful: you could make a tree of subfolders, organised to suit your own requirements.
Hi Thad,

I hope you are doing well.

Not sure if I understood clearly. From what I can see, we can bookmark 'threads' in our browser & subscribe the same.

However, if I wanted to bookmark/save a specific post in that thread (not the entire thread), then that option is not there.

Even if one bookmarks a thread, the member has to navigate through whole thread to find that important post in case they want to revisit it because of its importance as compared to other posts.
Also, finding that specific post will become tough as newer posts get added in the end. So, one has to search for that post.

One way I found is to right-click on the post number link say #13 & bookmark it. That way only that specific post's link gets bookmarked in the browser. Not the entire thread.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 15th October 2021 at 21:06.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 00:09   #7230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post

However, if I wanted to bookmark/save a specific post in that thread (not the entire thread), then that option is not there. ... ... ... One way I found is to right-click on the post number link say #13 & bookmark it.
You have it, right there Every post number is a permanent link to that post. But there is no quick key. like CTRL-D: you have to do it manually.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th October 2021 at 00:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks