Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2021, 15:42   #7261
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Regarding merging of threads/posts (especially whatcar)

I realize that it leads to fewer threads and likely a larger response. However, IMHO, it also breaks the flow of reading and understanding of a thread. Especially when the requirements of the OP and merged thread/posts are different.

Possible (part) solutions:
(In order of preference)

1. New threads to be made only after mod approval. I realize this would be extra work, but may well be worthwhile. This could also be conditional - say limiting this requirement to some sections of the forum; and senior members having the privilege of starting without such approval.

2. The thread which is found unviable could be sent to the assembly line, with suitable suggestions to the OP.

3. In case the thread/post has to be merged then, if the software so allows, to have all such posts together, and with a mod note on top. Right now, the replies get merged. The ones to the OP of the main thread and the ones to the Merged OP are not differentiated enough, and one flip flops between replies to two different people/requirements.This further deteriorates the reading experience, IMO. (I have recently been on both sides - as the OP and also Merged-OP so have both points of view)

4. To minimise merging to absolute minimum that is an absolute must.

I imagine the above will only further improve our already very well managed forum.

Thanks

Last edited by Poitive : 16th December 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Tyoo, interchange sequence of 2 and 3. Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 15:44   #7262
Senior - BHPian

• Is it just me, or does everyone not have the 'Remember me' checkbox available since today afternoon?
  • I've noticed something weird about my post count, and I'm not sure what to make of it. The post count on my profile says 309 posts, but if you actually search for my posts there are only 266 results, and that's including Shifting Gears. I had also noticed around the ~220 mark that my post count was increasing by 2 with just one post but I thought I might be seeing things, but now I'm confused.
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:53   #7263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I've noticed something weird about my post count, and I'm not sure what to make of it. The post count on my profile says 309 posts, but if you actually search for my posts there are only 266 results, and that's including Shifting Gears. I had also noticed around the ~220 mark that my post count was increasing by 2 with just one post but I thought I might be seeing things, but now I'm confused.
Your reported posts add to the post count as well.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:20   #7264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Considering the potential misuse of reporting posts to boost post count, maybe this should be changed.
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:24   #7265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Considering the potential misuse of reporting posts to boost post count, maybe this should be changed.
I doubt it has much potential. I can't imagine the mod team putting up with excess reports from a member without having a word with them.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:49   #7266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
With the overall quality of posting by members, I dont think the ratio of posts vs reported posts is worth splitting hairs.

Mods have set the tempo over many years. Even gaining membership is not easy. And when people join and start posting, the tone is already set towards quality posting.

I think we are good.
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:59   #7267
Senior - BHPian

What I meant above is surely not mass reporting. Only that when there is a grey-area, (especially new) members can feel induced to report. The multi-quote vs multiple quotes too has been done with a similar idea - to avoid misuse for boosting post count, even though at times, it may make reading a bit cumbersome.

I could not see sufficient pros to counting reports in post count.

However it isn't a big issue. I only see it as fine-tuning something
Old 23rd December 2021, 21:05   #7268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that!

Just to be clear, if I create two back-to-back posts on the same thread (>30 minutes apart) and then report them (to merge) like I have often done in the past, will my post count end up increasing by one instead of decreasing?

Unrelated suggestion: When a member at the 'Newbie' membership level quotes a post in a reply, I get notified when the reply has been submitted for approval, not when it has actually been published. Would it be possible to change this? I often forget to read the reply then.

Last edited by ron178 : 23rd December 2021 at 21:17.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 09:18   #7269
BHPian

Kindly educate,

1. Is there an option to save a post for future reference? Am aware of the 'Thanks' feature but I find it difficult when I have to navigate a lot of them to reach the intended.

2. How can we tag a BHPian? If I need advise on a technical query in any threads and need it to be addressed by that well-versed sound BHPian, how could I get his attention?

3. There are specific BHPians I wish to follow. I want to be notified of the posts/threads they create.

Am unsure whether my requirements pre-exist. If not, would love to experience these in the near future.

Happy Christmas!
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 13:13   #7270
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Kindly educate,

1. Is there an option to save a post for future reference? Am aware of the 'Thanks' feature but I find it difficult when I have to navigate a lot of them to reach the intended.

2. How can we tag a BHPian? If I need advise on a technical query in any threads and need it to be addressed by that well-versed sound BHPian, how could I get his attention?

3. There are specific BHPians I wish to follow. I want to be notified of the posts/threads they create.
For (1.), it can be saved as a bookmark in the browser after clicking the highlighted part in the photo below.

Not sure if we can save a post within the forum under our profile

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot_20211225130003_1.jpg
Old 26th December 2021, 08:56   #7271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
1. Is there an option to save a post for future reference?

2. How can we tag a BHPian?

hi @eccentric,

1. No.

2. Quote any post by that member. Delete the content of the post - everything between the start of quote and end of quote tags, but keep at least one character - even if it is a full stop. This way, that member will receive a notification that he has been quoted and will read your post/message/question for him

3. not yet. I myself have asked about this

These features have been suggested earlier too. Just to give you an idea - vbulletin may have these features, but Admin team is very careful to not implement any feature that may cause technical instability to the forum.

Last edited by condor : 26th December 2021 at 09:00.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 10:54   #7272
Senior - BHPian

[1] Suppose someone has asked a question or raised a point, and many members have quoted and responded to that.

Suggest to provide an easy way to see all such replies starting from any post.

[2] There is an Ignore list to which members can be added, and any post by members on my Ignore list will not be displayed to me.

Suggest to provide the opposite of this as well - add members to a list and get notified when any member from my list makes a post. Thus members can "follow" other members.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 15:02   #7273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
[1] Suppose someone has asked
I see you have been a member for a few months (welcome!). Respectfully suggest that you scroll back, see suggestions raised on this thread, and the answers already given.
Quote:
[2] There is an Ignore list to which members can be added...
There's a Buddy list too. But I don't know if it has any useful functionality.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 16:31   #7274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Respectfully suggest that you scroll back, see suggestions raised on this thread, and the answers already given.
Thank you sir. Saw the previous posts. Since this has been a long-standing suggestion, let us hope the mods will consider.

My request also is for an easy way - like by clicking on a button within each post. Given the nature of discussions on this forum, it will add value.
Quote:
Suggest to provide an easy way to see all such replies starting from any post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There's a Buddy list too. But I don't know if it has any useful functionality.
Regarding Buddy list functionality, I had already checked the FAQs before posting, it does not match the suggested requirement.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 21:37   #7275
Senior - BHPian

I think in a thread to which I am already subscribed, the menu entry in the Thread Tools dropdown should read and perform the action "unsubscribe from this Thread".
binand is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks